Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:08:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Reece Wabara  (Read 28152 times)

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Reece Wabara
« Reply #30 on August 22, 2013, 04:25:37 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Wellens is a great addition and I hope he stays he is still the best midfielder I have seen play for us but I think his signing had a lot to do with De Val's injury.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on August 22, 2013, 04:29:15 pm by newyankee »
 I think yours is the best comment so far Wellred. However, the whole issue of the proposed investment being made public, by his own admission, is on the shoulders of John Ryan.

The question is, why did he do it?  Was he unsure of the total backing of the other two, which is now the case, or was he trying to put them in a position where they had to agree.

The truth is that the whole of this mess lies on the head of one man, John Ryan, he is the one who made it public, those on this forum and others are merely responding to this.  Yes, it should have been kept private until a decision was made.

No amount of, we like this, we don't like this, we are not keen on these people, why can't the owners spend money, will make any difference to the final outcome which now seems to rest on Terry Bramall bringing in  some other people and them taking over the club.

For a club which says it is well run in contrast to others, this shows that maybe our club is not as well run as we thought.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on August 22, 2013, 05:42:53 pm by jonnydog »
Just out of interest, how much was promotion from League 1 actually worth for us?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on August 22, 2013, 05:50:28 pm by MrFrost »
Just out of interest, how much was promotion from League 1 actually worth for us?

About ten bob by the sounds of things.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on August 22, 2013, 05:50:37 pm by silent majority »
A lot of truth in your post newyankee.

The club used to be a shambles until some of the recent additions to the management team established good practice, not just in the running of the club of a practical basis but the financial side as well.

We had some financially horrific contracts in place, bit part players earning many thousands a week with ridiculous bonuses attached. We were playing bad football, getting relegated and paying through the nose for the privilege.

That changed and we became successful by signing good players at realistic salaries. We shouldn't lose sight of that and what we did, yet I see fans on this forum already demanding that we do exactly that.

Wellens is  far too expensive for us. Wabara does command a sizeable fee, but if negotiations go well we should still be able to get him, no guarantees though.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on August 22, 2013, 05:51:53 pm by silent majority »

About ten bob by the sounds of things.

Players bonuses would have taken care of that, plus another million or so.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on August 22, 2013, 05:58:36 pm by graingrover »
If Wellens IS far too expensive for us he will by now be asking his agent to come up with other offers before end August . When asked about the future he said he was sure that the new investment would ensure he stayed . I wonder who promised him that ?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on August 22, 2013, 06:02:00 pm by DearneValleyRover »
If Wellens IS far too expensive for us he will by now be asking his agent to come up with other offers before end August . When asked about the future he said he was sure that the new investment would ensure he stayed . I wonder who promised him that ?

The same one who leaked it?

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on August 22, 2013, 06:07:32 pm by Lifelong supporter »
I think yours is the best comment so far Wellred. However, the whole issue of the proposed investment being made public, by his own admission, is on the shoulders of John Ryan.

The question is, why did he do it?  Was he unsure of the total backing of the other two, which is now the case, or was he trying to put them in a position where they had to agree.

The truth is that the whole of this mess lies on the head of one man, John Ryan, he is the one who made it public, those on this forum and others are merely responding to this.  Yes, it should have been kept private until a decision was made.

No amount of, we like this, we don't like this, we are not keen on these people, why can't the owners spend money, will make any difference to the final outcome which now seems to rest on Terry Bramall bringing in  some other people and them taking over the club.

For a club which says it is well run in contrast to others, this shows that maybe our club is not as well run as we thought.

JR didn't make it public.
He did his best to keep it quiet but was forced into it at the press conference before the fans' meeting.
Dick Watson and Gavin Baldwin also mentioned it there.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 22, 2013, 06:10:07 pm by Lifelong supporter »

The club used to be a shambles until some of the recent additions to the management team established good practice, not just in the running of the club of a practical basis but the financial side as well.

We had some financially horrific contracts in place, bit part players earning many thousands a week with ridiculous bonuses attached. We were playing bad football, getting relegated and paying through the nose for the privilege.

That changed and we became successful by signing good players at realistic salaries. We shouldn't lose sight of that and what we did, yet I see fans on this forum already demanding that we do exactly that.

Wellens is  far too expensive for us. Wabara does command a sizeable fee, but if negotiations go well we should still be able to get him, no guarantees though.

How does Wellens being far too expensive tally with Gavin's statement about more funds being available.
If there are it should be spent on him.
He's far too influential to lose.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on August 22, 2013, 06:11:26 pm by graingrover »
So if Wabara commands a transfer fee then Wellens is best bet out of the two for an extension .. but both will weigh up alternative offers no doubt ... over the next ten days .. agents watching and wringing their hands at the thought of a bonus' à la M'Voto'.

A win against Leeds and 'plumb' draw could ease the way but it is cutting things very fine ahead of the September 2 deadline. 

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on August 22, 2013, 06:13:19 pm by graingrover »
I don't think he was forced into it at the Press Conference .. it wasn't a court of law neither was he on oath.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on August 22, 2013, 06:15:53 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I suppose it totally depends upon how much Wellens agent wants and how much Wabara will cost doesn't it  and Lifelong your contradicting yourself, JR didn't leak it but then forced to make it public?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on August 22, 2013, 06:41:17 pm by silent majority »

How does Wellens being far too expensive tally with Gavin's statement about more funds being available.

He's not Gareth Bale or Wayne Rooney, this is a thirty odd year old midfielder released by one of our Championship rivals!!

You obviously didn't read my post did you about how we've paid players like that too much over past season? And look where it got us. So you suggest we should break the bank for this one? I can't agree, as good as he is he ain't worth the sums he now commands.

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on August 22, 2013, 06:46:27 pm by SkellowRover »
Sick of hearing we cant afford this and cant afford that when one of our owners alone is worth not far off half a billion quid. Sick of hearing nay sayers say 'it's their money they can do as they wish blah blah'. The 2 money men refused to do nothing but cover the shortfall the last time we got to the championship and we ended up losing wellens and mills and couldn't even compete with the dingles financially for shackell ffs, so what are people expecting now? With the current ownership we just have to be content to be a yoyo team at best, no wonder JR is fed up you can tell he's trying to kick the club on to the next level but he can't. I dont think it matters who came in to invest, TB will try and derail it just like this 2nd investment bid that he was dealing with that has developed into nothing, infact JR jimself says its a damp squid.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on August 22, 2013, 06:54:53 pm by silent majority »
What a nonsense!

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on August 22, 2013, 07:01:45 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
A damp squid yesterday...

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on August 22, 2013, 07:03:41 pm by wilts rover »
Isn't Bramall in the States? Maybe he is putting a deal together? Or maybe he is in Disneyland? Who knows - but a bit early to dismiss his 'bid'.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on August 22, 2013, 07:08:41 pm by MrFrost »
Sick of hearing we cant afford this and cant afford that when one of our owners alone is worth not far off half a billion quid. Sick of hearing nay sayers say 'it's their money they can do as they wish blah blah'. The 2 money men refused to do nothing but cover the shortfall the last time we got to the championship and we ended up losing wellens and mills and couldn't even compete with the dingles financially for shackell ffs, so what are people expecting now? With the current ownership we just have to be content to be a yoyo team at best, no wonder JR is fed up you can tell he's trying to kick the club on to the next level but he can't. I dont think it matters who came in to invest, TB will try and derail it just like this 2nd investment bid that he was dealing with that has developed into nothing, infact JR jimself says its a damp squid.

Amen to that.

Utter rubbish its been stated before no one shareholder can put in more than the other so it's irrelevant if 2 have more than others if they can't utilise it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 07:18:48 pm by DearneValleyRover »

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 22, 2013, 07:09:03 pm by MrFrost »

He's not Gareth Bale or Wayne Rooney, this is a thirty odd year old midfielder released by one of our Championship rivals!!

You obviously didn't read my post did you about how we've paid players like that too much over past season? And look where it got us. So you suggest we should break the bank for this one? I can't agree, as good as he is he ain't worth the sums he now commands.

I presume he won't be staying after that comment.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on August 22, 2013, 07:25:36 pm by mrfrostsdad »
JR has quite openly stated that any second takeover/investment talk is a damp squib.
He has also quite openly stated that 'the bottom of the barrel has been scraped dry' financially.

I know some people o here have said we still have money for loan players, and maybe we have, but JR's statement says to me we are totally skint. If not why would he say what he said? It doesn't make sense.

The directors have apparently put in £9 million in loans over the last few years to keep us afloat. Would you put any more money in if you thought someone else was going to buy the club? Would you heck!

If we are as skint as JR says, I suspect both Wellens and Wabara will soon be gone. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, especially with Wellens. And Surrey Rover, you're quite right, the people to blame are not the directors but the people of Doncaster for not supporting their HOME TOWN team

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on August 22, 2013, 07:26:39 pm by silent majority »
Mr Frost,

I don't know, but some of my contacts at Leicester have told me about how much he earned and expected from them. The guys expectations are unreal.

I do know we have a very reasonable wage policy in place, you all saw it in action last season, and how that benefited the club in the longer term. We can't go around breaking the bank for individuals like that, and that includes Billy Sharp.

As we've seen, there are some great signings out there who aren't expecting record pay deals to fund their retirement.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on August 22, 2013, 07:34:57 pm by mrfrostsdad »
But to balance that out, we don't have to pay anything for him.

There seems to be some argument about how much we have to pay Brentford in compensation for Forrester. I've heard as much as £500k mentioned. I don't know if it is that much. But for sake of argument lets say it is 500k. We don't even know if he can play at this level yet, we know Wellens can. 2 year contract, 6 grand a week equals just over £600k. That MAY be less than we are going to pay for someone who has not played at this level.

Maybe a simplistic way of working out the finances, but you get my drift I'm sure

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on August 22, 2013, 07:35:57 pm by MrFrost »
Mr Frost,

I don't know, but some of my contacts at Leicester have told me about how much he earned and expected from them. The guys expectations are unreal.

I do know we have a very reasonable wage policy in place, you all saw it in action last season, and how that benefited the club in the longer term. We can't go around breaking the bank for individuals like that, and that includes Billy Sharp.

As we've seen, there are some great signings out there who aren't expecting record pay deals to fund their retirement.

Why bring him to the club in the first place if there was likely going to be a situation where his demands were going to be unreachable?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on August 22, 2013, 07:37:26 pm by silent majority »
Mrfrostsdad,

I get your drift, but your miles out on your figures, and I mean miles!! Haven't you heard of signing on fees when players are out of contract? Factor that in as well.

Oh, and we don't know if he can play at this level do we? He didn't  do it for Leicester last season and Ipswich weren't busting a gut to get him back. Yes he's done well so far for us, very well in fact, but can he keep it going?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 07:41:25 pm by silent majority »

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on August 22, 2013, 07:37:52 pm by coventryrover »

would be great if we could be sustainable but the donny public dont give a f@@k.

Why should our owners plough loads of money in if this is the case?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on August 22, 2013, 07:42:21 pm by Wellred »

would be great if we could be sustainable but the donny public dont give a f@@k.

But they knew that when they joined the club. Nothing has changed.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on August 22, 2013, 07:48:21 pm by mrfrostsdad »
SM,

1) Presumably we had to pay a signing on fee/agents fee for signing on Forrester

2) Wellens missed a lot of last season through injury. Ipswich did want him til they changed their manager

3) I have no doubt Wellens will be good enough for this division. He never relied on pace and he 'orchestrates' the midfield (to use one of the poncy terms they use on tv)

4) I haven't figured in Forrester's salary in those figures. I suspect over two season, he will be more expensive than Wellens. I'm not saying he was a bad signing, I'm just saying it is imperative Wellens stays.

And as Mike says: why bring him in if we were only going to keep him for a month?

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on August 22, 2013, 07:49:52 pm by coventryrover »

But they knew that when they joined the club. Nothing has changed.

yes

And they have steadied the ship, covered shortfalls, got some damn good young players.  if we dont get the crowds we cant depend on money men, its just not sustainable.

8K crowds dont get you anywhere beyond l1 unless you have exceptional team spirit like we did last year.  non of us expected us to be even challenging for promotion.  yet we are champions, in the championship but only average 7.5k home fans

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on August 22, 2013, 07:52:25 pm by MrFrost »
Mrfrostsdad,

I get your drift, but your miles out on your figures, and I mean miles!! Haven't you heard of signing on fees when players are out of contract? Factor that in as well.

Oh, and we don't know if he can play at this level do we? He didn't  do it for Leicester last season and Ipswich weren't busting a gut to get him back. Yes he's done well so far for us, very well in fact, but can he keep it going?

Your comments seem to confirm what we all fear, that Wellens won't be staying.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012