Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:01:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Very important changes at the club  (Read 11317 times)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Very important changes at the club
« Reply #150 on December 21, 2023, 08:41:56 am by Chris Black come back »
Molyneux has his failings but is hard working, keeps shape, rarely gets injured and is our top assist provider this season. Question is can we improve him further.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #151 on December 21, 2023, 09:45:28 am by sedwardsdrfc »
I might be rose tinted glasses but I don’t think our recruitment this summer was bad. In hindsight we should have known better than offering Wood a deal and signed someone in their prime. But other than that I couldn’t knock it.

Yes previous years were terrible and in truth all those who played under Schofield and McSheffery need to leave club. But this summer was good imo. But for injuries we could have had Ironside, Faal, Miller and Marsh competing up front. That’s good at this level isn’t it?

Injuries and player fitness is a big problem that imo is more urgent after seeing last summers business. Of course we can always improve that too but if we’re talking priorities fitness and robustness is nr1. No point signing the best players if we consistently injure them, delay and then botch their recovery. And even when they are fit if they run out of steam after 60min they aren’t at a good enough level regardless of ability.

Luckily these problems shouldn’t be that hard to solve. Lots of clubs have a normal amount of injuries and manage to get their player fit to a standard you’d expect of a professional club.

For a start have we had the same doctor, physio, fitness coaches for the last few years? If the answer is yes then it’s bye bye like you would a player or manager who hasn’t been good enough.

I reckon Chelsea bought better players than we did this summer. But then they did spend a bit more than we did.

Point?

Good reckoning there. Give yourself a gold star. Great contribution

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #152 on December 21, 2023, 02:07:19 pm by GazLaz »
I'm sure Grant knows by now, if he didn't already, that the squad re-shaping efforts done in the summer are probably only 1/3 to 1/2 of what is required. We need better/more robust (delete as appropriate) players in place of Anderson, Wood, Miller, Rowe, Taylor, the goalkeepers, Biggins, Long, Lavery, and possibly Molyneux as well. There's a very decent chunk of budget there I would imagine.
Molyneux?! Really!?

Possibly yeah. He’s pacy and good to watch but does he provide enough output? I think it’s 4 league goals he’s got in his time with us so far.

I’m more than happy to be proven wrong or convinced otherwise on him as I do like him, but is there maybe better out there for the money? Maybe.

Leading assist maker this season.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #153 on December 21, 2023, 03:12:52 pm by pib »
I'm sure Grant knows by now, if he didn't already, that the squad re-shaping efforts done in the summer are probably only 1/3 to 1/2 of what is required. We need better/more robust (delete as appropriate) players in place of Anderson, Wood, Miller, Rowe, Taylor, the goalkeepers, Biggins, Long, Lavery, and possibly Molyneux as well. There's a very decent chunk of budget there I would imagine.
Molyneux?! Really!?

Possibly yeah. He’s pacy and good to watch but does he provide enough output? I think it’s 4 league goals he’s got in his time with us so far.

I’m more than happy to be proven wrong or convinced otherwise on him as I do like him, but is there maybe better out there for the money? Maybe.

Fair enough. Hold my hands up there, happy to be proven wrong. I’ll stand by the others though I think.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #154 on December 21, 2023, 03:42:46 pm by RugbyRover »
Molyneux?! Really!?

Fair enough. Hold my hands up there, happy to be proven wrong. I’ll stand by the others though I think.

apart from Jones and Moly you're spot on

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #155 on December 21, 2023, 04:35:52 pm by roversdude »
Moly is a good player but needs to add goals to his game

nightporter

• VSC Member
« Reply #156 on December 21, 2023, 05:07:42 pm by nightporter »
Molyneux?! Really!?

Only 4, in 21 matches.  Not great.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #157 on December 21, 2023, 05:16:24 pm by mushRTID »
I don’t mind Molyneux but when we are challenging at the top end next season (which we will be) I do wonder if he will be a starter for us.

I have my doubts.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 05:23:09 pm by mushRTID »

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #158 on December 21, 2023, 05:23:19 pm by Upton Rover »
I don’t mind Molyneux but be when we are challenging at the top and next season (which we will be) I do wonder if he will be a starter for us.

I have my doubts.
So have you lost hope for us to challenge this season?

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #159 on December 21, 2023, 05:23:42 pm by mushRTID »
I don’t mind Molyneux but be when we are challenging at the top and next season (which we will be) I do wonder if he will be a starter for us.

I have my doubts.

Yes

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #160 on December 21, 2023, 05:26:36 pm by Branton Rover »
Does anyone know if Terry has bought Blunt our entirely or what the arrangements of the actual deal entails?

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #161 on December 21, 2023, 06:13:40 pm by Upton Rover »

I have my doubts.

Yes
I think the next 4 games will be the most important games of this season, if we could get 9 points then, I’d say we are in with a shout of reaching the playoffs if we also invest in the January transfer window. Anything less than 9 points then that’s it, regardless of who we being in.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #162 on December 21, 2023, 06:14:20 pm by silent majority »
Does anyone know if Terry has bought Blunt our entirely or what the arrangements of the actual deal entails?

At the moment that’s not happened. We’ll have to wait and see.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #163 on December 21, 2023, 06:15:31 pm by mushRTID »

I have my doubts.

Yes
I think the next 4 games will be the most important games of this season, if we could get 9 points then, I’d say we are in with a shout of reaching the playoffs if we also invest in the January transfer window. Anything less than 9 points then that’s it, regardless of who we being in.

I would agree.
I also don’t think anyone can cope with the amount of injuries we have, so regularly.
Especially when we started so poorly.

I think Grant will have us pushing for top 3 next year.

Smyth

« Reply #164 on December 21, 2023, 06:21:23 pm by Smyth »

At the moment that’s not happened. We’ll have to wait and see.
Didn't others that left the club just hand over their share, e.g. Andrew Watson and John Ryan?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #165 on December 21, 2023, 09:46:02 pm by scawsby steve »
What's the betting on how soon some berk will whinge about TB not being a good chairman simply because he doesn't have the charisma of JR?

And the point of that utterly hypothetical question is ...?

The reason why most of us wanted shut of Blunt is because there's strong evidence that he kept the purse strings tight on the playing budget, and players' wages.

Why do you think Terry's shifted him?

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #166 on December 21, 2023, 10:12:58 pm by Butchers Red »

I have my doubts.

No - and tongue in cheek would remind readers of our neighbours - Rotherham Utd season 81 - 82 as an example of anything can happen.

30th January 1982

20th position in League 2 ( Championship) with 20 points

P 20
W 6
D 3
L 11

6th March 1982

3rd with 48 points
P 29
W 15
D 3
L 11

Finished 7th on 67 points but many involved still maintain they were ordered by their own powers within not to get promoted that year

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #167 on December 21, 2023, 10:33:28 pm by scawsby steve »

I have my doubts.

No - and tongue in cheek would remind readers of our neighbours - Rotherham Utd season 81 - 82 as an example of anything can happen.

30th January 1982

P 20
W 6
D 3
L 11

6th March 1982

3rd with 48 points
P 29
W 15
D 3
L 11

Finished 7th on 67 points but many involved still maintain they were ordered by their own powers within not to get promoted that year

About 8 years ago, Barnsley were rock bottom of League1 at Christmas. They ended up beating Millwall at Wembley in the play-off final.

These things are rare, but not impossible.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #168 on December 21, 2023, 10:47:25 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
What's the betting on how soon some berk will whinge about TB not being a good chairman simply because he doesn't have the charisma of JR?

And the point of that utterly hypothetical question is ...?

The reason why most of us wanted shut of Blunt is because there's strong evidence that he kept the purse strings tight on the playing budget, and players' wages.

Why do you think Terry's shifted him?

The point of that hypothetical question is to question how quickly the more moronic section of the fans are going to turn on TB based on an utterly pathetic reason. We've had the 'he's not a football man' b*llocks in this thread already.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #169 on December 21, 2023, 11:43:27 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I might be rose tinted glasses but I don’t think our recruitment this summer was bad. In hindsight we should have known better than offering Wood a deal and signed someone in their prime. But other than that I couldn’t knock it.

Yes previous years were terrible and in truth all those who played under Schofield and McSheffery need to leave club. But this summer was good imo. But for injuries we could have had Ironside, Faal, Miller and Marsh competing up front. That’s good at this level isn’t it?

Injuries and player fitness is a big problem that imo is more urgent after seeing last summers business. Of course we can always improve that too but if we’re talking priorities fitness and robustness is nr1. No point signing the best players if we consistently injure them, delay and then botch their recovery. And even when they are fit if they run out of steam after 60min they aren’t at a good enough level regardless of ability.

Luckily these problems shouldn’t be that hard to solve. Lots of clubs have a normal amount of injuries and manage to get their player fit to a standard you’d expect of a professional club.

For a start have we had the same doctor, physio, fitness coaches for the last few years? If the answer is yes then it’s bye bye like you would a player or manager who hasn’t been good enough.

I reckon Chelsea bought better players than we did this summer. But then they did spend a bit more than we did.

Point?

Good reckoning there. Give yourself a gold star. Great contribution

It makes a valid point though. If you have a lot more money to spend, you'd expect to sign better players.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #170 on December 21, 2023, 11:53:45 pm by Goole Rover »
Some on here should have been around in the Hubert Bates years to see what tight purse strings really was.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #171 on December 22, 2023, 09:34:52 am by selby »
  The Tight I agree with but there wasn't a lot of purse strings about.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #172 on December 22, 2023, 10:13:14 am by Bentley Bullet »
Some on here should have been around in the Hubert Bates years to see what tight purse strings really was.
He was so tight that when he farted only dogs could hear it.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #173 on December 22, 2023, 11:23:45 am by DMnumber4 »

I have my doubts.

30th January 1982

P 20
W 6
D 3
L 11

6th March 1982

3rd with 48 points
P 29
W 15
D 3
L 11

About 8 years ago, Barnsley were rock bottom of League1 at Christmas. They ended up beating Millwall at Wembley in the play-off final.

These things are rare, but not impossible.

2017/18

Rotherham were 13th in L1 (9 points adrift of the play-offs).
They finished in 4th (11 points clear of 7th)

Beat Shrewsbury 2-0 at Wembley in the final with one Richard Wood grabbing a brace.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #174 on December 22, 2023, 12:44:23 pm by Colin C No.3 »
The only brace he’ll get at Rovers would be on his leg!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #175 on December 22, 2023, 02:15:18 pm by drfchound »

I have my doubts.

30th January 1982

P 20
W 6
D 3
L 11

6th March 1982

3rd with 48 points
P 29
W 15
D 3
L 11

Butchers, something not right with those figures mate.
If they won six and drew three in the first half season that would have given them 21 points.
That would then have made 69 points at the end of the season, not 67.
Sorry matey but I’m just getting in before SS spots it.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #176 on December 22, 2023, 02:57:05 pm by ForsolongaRover »

And there wasn’t much you could do about it back then to let him know how unpopular he was. At least Terry Bramall will know that the vast majority of us recognise his importance to our club. Successful, sensible, educated “owners” are not exactly in the majority in football these days.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #177 on December 22, 2023, 03:00:49 pm by Campsall rover »

And there wasn’t much you could do about it back then to let him know how unpopular he was. At least Terry Bramall will know that the vast majority of us recognise his importance to our club. Successful, sensible, educated “owners” are not exactly in the majority in football these days.
Well there are not many sensible ones that’s for sure FR

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #178 on December 22, 2023, 04:44:58 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
You don't become the chairman of a football club at the age of 80-odd for the hell of it.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #179 on December 22, 2023, 04:57:30 pm by scawsby steve »
  The Tight I agree with but there wasn't a lot of purse strings about.

At times, maybe, Brian, but what happened to the £25000 we got for Harry Gregg? That was a colossal amount of money in those days, and it certainly didn't get put into the playing budget, with the 2 successive relegations that followed it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012