Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 05:53:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Very important changes at the club  (Read 11318 times)

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
Re: Very important changes at the club
« Reply #60 on December 18, 2023, 09:19:22 pm by drfcsteve »
This is good news but won’t turn our season around. I don’t see what Blunt has had to do with our recruitment/ injuries/lack of ability to defend. Maybe I’m missing something.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on December 18, 2023, 09:29:52 pm by RoversInSpain »
We need a driving force at the top, giving direction, leadership…and a fair amount of enthusiasm to drive success.
If this is it …………….then I’m in…

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on December 18, 2023, 09:30:55 pm by Campsall rover »
This is good news but won’t turn our season around. I don’t see what Blunt has had to do with our recruitment/ injuries/lack of ability to defend. Maybe I’m missing something.
Maybe the purse strings will be loosened a little.
Blunt had got them in a strangle hold it would seem.
TB knows you have to speculate to accumulate and in GM I think he will be prepared to give him a budget that gets us moving in the right direction.
Promotion really will be the target next season and I am sure our playing budget will reflect that.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on December 18, 2023, 09:38:26 pm by RoversInSpain »
Just like to see and hear some uuummmph from the top.
The players represent the club on the pitch, it’s currently wishy washy.
Direction, leadership, attitude and desire come from the top, (of any organisation)
And that reflects in performance
So here’s hoping

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on December 18, 2023, 09:41:46 pm by scawsby steve »

All transfers have to be signed off by the chairman. It wouldn't surprise me if good players wanted by the manager have been knocked back by Blunt because of their wage demands.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on December 18, 2023, 09:46:55 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Great news. Everyone who’s had anything to do with football operations over the last few seasons needs to go.

We’ve got the manager I think we just need the team around him and we’ll get there.

Frustrating for Terry obviously a lot of work went into getting the club self sufficient only for the people he trusted to run it to be totally useless. Then he’s thrown away a decent wedge this season and it’s returned nothing in terms of league position. No surprised he’s wanting to take more control.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on December 18, 2023, 09:48:18 pm by mpc123 »
As we all know, there has been no leadership for sometime.

Strange how you could feel the terrible atmosphere walking into the ground on Tuesday and the players play like that.

We as supporters need to pick back up again too and support as loud as we can, at the beginning of the season it was great, we have not had what we thought we would get from this season so far.

We can use this change of leadership as a catalyst for us all.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on December 18, 2023, 10:03:29 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Maybe the purse strings will be loosened a little.
Blunt had got them in a strangle hold it would seem.
TB knows you have to speculate to accumulate and in GM I think he will be prepared to give him a budget that gets us moving in the right direction.
Promotion really will be the target next season and I am sure our playing budget will reflect that.

That has to be the reason for this announcement….surely.

You lose this manager & where do you go?

Back him, back him then back him again & you might just end up with Championship Football.

The alternative does not bare thinking of.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on December 18, 2023, 10:10:39 pm by Draytonian III »
Its got to be nothing but positive that a man like TB has in effect staked his reputation on getting to the nub of what ails out great club.

WE all know TB as not the most demonstrative of individuals which when you're in the selling business is slightly restricting.

Could a call to a certain ex Chair who was a subject expert be something worth considering?

Every little helps, and boy, do we need it.

That 2nd paragraph I find slightly strange, nobody on here will know really know TB, and I tend to think he can manage his assets rather well given the amount of money he is worth

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on December 18, 2023, 10:36:29 pm by drfchound »
Its got to be nothing but positive that a man like TB has in effect staked his reputation on getting to the nub of what ails out great club.

WE all know TB as not the most demonstrative of individuals which when you're in the selling business is slightly restricting.

Could a call to a certain ex Chair who was a subject expert be something worth considering?

That 2nd paragraph I find slightly strange, nobody on here will know really know TB, and I tend to think he can manage his assets rather well given the amount of money he is worth

I got to know him reasonably well when I was in business.
I went on a few trips abroad in his company courtesy of Polypipe too.
He is a really likeable man but also is no one’s fool.
I imagine that if there was something he couldn’t do he would have employed someone to do it for him.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on December 18, 2023, 10:51:15 pm by GazLaz »
Terry is the 5th wealthiest man in Yorkshire. Incredible the amount of wealth we had in the club between him, Dick and John at that time.

The amount of money TB must be making now interest rates have gone up must be ridiculous. Extra income for him one of the reasons he’s been willing to increase his contributions recently?

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on December 18, 2023, 11:10:46 pm by Goole Rover »
Surprised he's stepped up at his age, although will it have much impact anyway?

I wouldn't underestimate him.
I agree a very shrewd man let’s get behind him.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on December 18, 2023, 11:28:42 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
TB made a significant statement, including the commitment to additional funds, sometime ago now.

Not only was the additional funding significant, but the fact he made that statement, which was unusual for him to communicate directly with fans outside of the 'Meet the Owners' platform and specifically say those funds were to go directly to the football operation.

Once those funds are committed, it's not just a one off because contracts have to be honoured beyond 12 months (with exceptions of course), so TB had already raised the funding bar.

I think it's fair to say this has been on the cards ever since, or before, he made that statement earlier this year however, I don't know about the timing whether it is significant or not. Maybe DB has served his 'notice' so to speak.

It's unlikely TB will change and try to be something he's not, so I wouldn't expect him to be courting the media and press too often.  I think he would rather actions and results on the pitch be the way to communicate and excite people to come through the door  However, let's hope this is confirmation he is indeed taking a more direct responsibility to make sure we get value for his money. 

« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 11:33:19 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on December 19, 2023, 01:06:58 am by danumdon »

I got to know him reasonably well when I was in business.
I went on a few trips abroad in his company courtesy of Polypipe too.
He is a really likeable man but also is no one’s fool.
I imagine that if there was something he couldn’t do he would have employed someone to do it for him.

And therein lies my point,

I know we're not going to go over old ground and bring anyone back but is not unnoticeable that we have been rudderless in the promotion and selling of the club to a wider Doncaster audience.

We need some expertise in this field, TB for all his strengths is not the individual who is going to do this for us and like mentioned above we need to get someone in who can and will promote the club to its best advantage.

We may all have our opinions on the merits of JR but he put his heart and sole into the promotion of the club regardless of how things eventually   closed out that chapter.

We now start a new chapter and as a club we need to ensure its done correctly, i don't want to see TB's money going to waste.

Smyth

« Reply #74 on December 19, 2023, 06:12:20 am by Smyth »
Wonder if Blunt will now pass his share in the club to his son(s)?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on December 19, 2023, 07:41:50 am by Alan Southstand »
The immediate problem is, of course, nothing can change until, initially, January. We have a number of difficult games prior to the window opening, and an ever decreasing squad due to the catastrophic injury situation. The chances are we’ll be worse off, points wise, when the window opens and we shouldn’t be shocked or surprised if that is the case.

January is going to be a very important month for us and we desperately need it to go well.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on December 19, 2023, 08:35:25 am by Campsall rover »
The immediate problem is, of course, nothing can change until, initially, January. We have a number of difficult games prior to the window opening, and an ever decreasing squad due to the catastrophic injury situation. The chances are we’ll be worse off, points wise, when the window opens and we shouldn’t be shocked or surprised if that is the case.

January is going to be a very important month for us and we desperately need it to go well.
We need some points on the board in January Alan. That’s a must. Some winnable games on paper but the game isn’t played on paper.
I am not expecting a lot to happen in January in terms of recruitment.
Hopefully we can get Faal signed on for the rest of the season and get another striker signed maybe on loan.
I don’t want us to have 1/2/3 yr contracts given out to players who are not going to improve our team long term.
Most players that will be available in January are players other clubs don’t want simply because they are surplus to requirements, in other words not good enough.
Yes there will be the odd gem out there but they are few and far between and we won’t be the only club after them.
The fact we are languishing in the lower reaches of the table as we speak makes us less attractive to ambitious players who want to be playing in League 1 next season.

The summer will be the time when we can really go out and show some serious ambition. The market will be so much bigger with out of contract players looking to move their careers and wage packets in an upward direction.

I think a little patience is needed and we really should not get too excited about recruitment in January.
I am sure GM will have some targets though.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 08:51:23 am by Campsall rover »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on December 19, 2023, 08:48:34 am by GazLaz »
There’s no correlation between success in business and success running a football club is there by the way. Many good businessmen have failed in the past. 

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on December 19, 2023, 08:50:55 am by Alan Southstand »
Camps, if we sit on our hands in January, and those below us are more pro-active, things could get very damaging indeed.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on December 19, 2023, 08:56:25 am by Campsall rover »
Camps, if we sit on our hands in January, and those below us are more pro-active, things could get very damaging indeed.
No one is saying sit on our hands.
The market in January is very limited that’s all I am saying. We don’t want a January like the last 2 January’s do we.
Players under contract that will not get us out of this league and not be good enough for League 1.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on December 19, 2023, 09:25:39 am by Upton Rover »
The market in January is very limited that’s all I am saying. We don’t want a January like the last 2 January’s do we.
Players under contract that will not get us out of this league and not be good enough for League 1.
I’m sure there will be players out there in January that would be good replacements for some of our well below par players, who are been overpaid and are not worthy of playing in the EFL and putting on a DRFC shirt

Hickleton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on December 19, 2023, 09:46:41 am by Hickleton Rover »
We will see if I am wrong SM in due course,

McCammon egg n chips

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on December 19, 2023, 09:48:29 am by McCammon egg n chips »
Great that Blunt has gone, he's been a failure as chairman for far too long.

Presumably this is an interim move until we can get someone younger in? The elephant in the room with this appointment is he's 81. The same age as Joe Biden...

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on December 19, 2023, 09:49:57 am by Copps is Magic »
Get Bramall in the physio room.

Hickleton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on December 19, 2023, 09:50:51 am by Hickleton Rover »
Padge I put I think because no i's dotted or t's crossed and may well fall through, but watch this space

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on December 19, 2023, 09:53:39 am by Pancho Regan »
The acknowledgment that we aren’t where we expected to be might calm a few down on here that have somehow seen this season as ‘improvement’. Clearly there is still a lot of issues at the core of the club. Hopefully this is one step closer to rectifying those.

Colin, with respect, I’m not sure that many will have seen the overall situation this season as an improvement but have seen an improvement in the entertainment offered.
Generally, in my opinion, we have been miles better to watch than we were last year, and the year before that too, even if the results haven’t been as good as we like them to be.

Agree 100% Hound

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on December 19, 2023, 10:05:18 am by selby »
  A couple of good young hungry ones Alan, and keep the ammunition dry for a proper preseason and more recruits of better quality.
  I know that a lot of effort and time is going into player recognition and some good players have been identified. Rest assured Grant and his team are not sitting on their hands letting things jog along.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on December 19, 2023, 10:07:58 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I’m sure there will be players out there in January that would be good replacements for some of our well below par players, who are been overpaid and are not worthy of playing in the EFL and putting on a DRFC shirt

Indeed. McCann has already said they've got their targets so nobody intends sitting on their hands Alan.

He said, they want to make sure they're ready to 'go' on 1st January.

However, as Camps said, they will be accutely aware of the pitfalls of not getting the balance right, which also includes acting swiftly when appropriate, or moving on if players want to play hard ball. So, again, it'll be evolution rather than revolution.

I wouldn't be surprised if GB and subsequently McCann, have been influential in the direction TB wants to go and the way we're more likely to achieve it.

It won't be achieved by just throwing money at it. We know TB, particularly with his statement about 'community', expects and hopes the fans play their part too however, he seems to be doing his best to get things moving in the right direction.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on December 19, 2023, 10:22:34 am by Chris Black come back »
I am guessing here but this does smack of Terry realising that he does not want his legacy with the club to be us scratching around around bottom of League Two, getting hammered at home by the likes of Salford and Morecambe.

You could see him setting himself a project of a few years to get us at last back to being competitive in top end of League One before handing reigns over to someone either as owner or steward on a more sustainable basis. He’s not a young man but might feel he has a few years in him yet to turn this around and leave us on a high.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on December 19, 2023, 11:05:51 am by graingrover »
I imagine that Blunt filtered requests for support from Grant .Now they talk directly to the sole financial benefactor .Morever he has just reiterated his ambition for the club .The activity in the transfer market over the next month will to a great extent both define our season and provide Grant with the reassurance he must be seeking  about financial  support for squad strengthening

TinyPortal © 2005-2012