Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:03:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Hull City  (Read 51548 times)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
Re: Hull City
« Reply #150 on July 11, 2020, 11:06:09 pm by mushRTID »
Iv mentioned it before, but the BBC Humberside reporter Burnsy is a complete shithouse 😂😂😂. Destroys Grant here...

https://twitter.com/humbersidesport/status/1282050760256225282?s=21

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #151 on July 11, 2020, 11:21:31 pm by Filo »
Iv mentioned it before, but the BBC Humberside reporter Burnsy is a complete shithouse 😂😂😂. Destroys Grant here...

https://twitter.com/humbersidesport/status/1282050760256225282?s=21

Love it, no sympathy from me here, the snake deserves all he gets, it seems he’s not as good as he thinks he is and the grass is not greener elsewhere, I look forward to their relegation and his sacking 😂😂😂😂

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #152 on July 11, 2020, 11:25:33 pm by tyke1962 »
Well Struber our HC looked a beaten man during the second half today .

Body language was shocking , never seen that so much on display in all the years I've followed them .

Generally even deep down inside when they know the games up they at least try and present a positive outlook .

I think we've got a quitter here , I reckon he'll walk when the final nail goes in our coffin .

Not bothered if it does to tell the truth .

Absolutely dreading going to Elland Road on Thursday night .

We could get a real going over by that lot and its on bloody Sky at that .

We may get one more point out of the last three games but I can't see us getting anymore than that in all honesty and it won't be enough .

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #153 on July 11, 2020, 11:31:51 pm by MachoMadness »
1 win in 17, unbelievable that he's still in a job. He just sounds beaten in that interview. No ideas at all, just football clichés. I do wonder if he's getting interference from above because to be fair to him, fight and attacking ideas weren't things we were lacking last season.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 11:35:21 pm by MachoMadness »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #154 on July 12, 2020, 12:45:08 am by Jonathan »
Quite sad to hear that interview. I understand the bitterness at his departure from here, but the moment he walked in the door he was a breath of fresh air at DRFC and that fight and positivity spread right through the club. Sounded a shadow of that in the interview linked above. Some people will revel in that but I feel quite disappointed.

The interviewer sounds like a complete prick. Certainly a know it all behind a microphone.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #155 on July 12, 2020, 01:40:44 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
Well Struber our HC looked a beaten man during the second half today .

Body language was shocking , never seen that so much on display in all the years I've followed them .

Generally even deep down inside when they know the games up they at least try and present a positive outlook .

I think we've got a quitter here , I reckon he'll walk when the final nail goes in our coffin .

Not bothered if it does to tell the truth .

Absolutely dreading going to Elland Road on Thursday night .

We could get a real going over by that lot and its on bloody Sky at that .

We may get one more point out of the last three games but I can't see us getting anymore than that in all honesty and it won't be enough .

League 1s more fun anyway. Get you lot, Hull & Boro/Hudds down and we'll have some proper mediocre derbies next season.

If we're all allowed in by then, of course.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #156 on July 12, 2020, 09:37:56 am by Alan Southstand »
I enjoyed every minute of it!

Grass isn’t greener - isn’t that what Grant told Tommy Rowe when he saw fit to get rid?

Leaves a lot to be desired, does Mr McCann. Yes, he had us playing, there’s no doubt, but he got lucky with Kane and Wilks. And, has anyone noticed Wilks lately, he looks about a stone overweight, or maybe he doesn’t suit the kit? :)

His arrogance got in the way of him being a half decent manager, imho, and his modus operandi on leaving us meant he went way down in my estimation.

If there’s been any fresh air, it’s been the appointment of Darren Moore, who has more integrity in his little toenail than McCan’t will ever have.

Rant over.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #157 on July 12, 2020, 09:51:01 am by selby »
  They are a club that have had their day in the sun, are run by a poor owner who only ever saw them as a cash cow and not a football club, and a manager who is probably a one trick pony without the players and the finances to get the players he needs.
  Don't forget it was us them or Brighton who were destined for oblivion at one time, so all have done well to rise up again, but of the three I feer at the moment they are the one that could drop back to that level again, especially if the owner remains at the club.
 He could pull the plug any time. I live in a village that is central (Pollington) that is more or less central to Leeds, Doncaster, Hull, York etc. the only club I do not know one supporter of is Hull City.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 09:54:55 am by selby »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #158 on July 12, 2020, 10:20:01 am by Jonathan »

Grass isn’t greener - isn’t that what Grant told Tommy Rowe when he saw fit to get rid?

Leaves a lot to be desired, does Mr McCann. Yes, he had us playing, there’s no doubt, but he got lucky with Kane and Wilks. And, has anyone noticed Wilks lately, he looks about a stone overweight, or maybe he doesn’t suit the kit? :)

His arrogance got in the way of him being a half decent manager, imho, and his modus operandi on leaving us meant he went way down in my estimation.

If there’s been any fresh air, it’s been the appointment of Darren Moore, who has more integrity in his little toenail than McCan’t will ever have.

Rant over.

Harsh to say he got lucky with Kane and Wilks. I was one of many that was critical of those inexperienced loan signings, and I was wrong.

I was angry with and at McCann when he left us, but as time passes you have to look at it rationally. He’d had his budget cut here, he’d taken us probably as far as anyone could have in the circumstances, Hull offered a wildcard shot at the Championship. Up until January, when he was forced to sell Bowen and Grosicki, he was doing a good job there.

Last season gave us some of the most exciting football and great days out in all my years supporting the club. I am grateful to McCann for that and also disappointed he didn’t continue into this season.

I’m also delighted with Darren Moore, who I agree shows integrity in everything he does, and I feel he’s the right man for the job. It’s not a criticism of Moore to say I still miss some of the football we played under McCann. We were a ruthless team and really exciting to watch. Moore’s team is different, as are the players at his disposal. I’m confident he’ll continue to be a really good manager for us.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 10:22:02 am by Jonathan »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #159 on July 12, 2020, 10:21:14 am by wilts rover »
  They are a club that have had their day in the sun, are run by a poor owner who only ever saw them as a cash cow and not a football club, and a manager who is probably a one trick pony without the players and the finances to get the players he needs.
  Don't forget it was us them or Brighton who were destined for oblivion at one time, so all have done well to rise up again, but of the three I feer at the moment they are the one that could drop back to that level again, especially if the owner remains at the club.
 He could pull the plug any time. I live in a village that is central (Pollington) that is more or less central to Leeds, Doncaster, Hull, York etc. the only club I do not know one supporter of is Hull City.

Sorry Selby that is just not true.

I have no particular love for Hull City or their owner (Assem Allam) but to say he only ever saw them as cash cow goes against all the evidence.

He is a Hull based businessman who has donated £millions to charitable projects in the city. He never particularly wanted to become owner, it was originally supposed to be a partnership, and only did so because saw how important the club was to the area - and they had huge debts at the time.

In fact the problem with his ownership was exactly the opposite. He wanted the club to be a sustainable business, he literally incorporated it into his business rather than run it as a separate company, and wanted to generate extra revenue to fund it. Hence the mad idea to change the name and then the membership scheme which alienated the fans.

I doubt he will just drop the club but he is certainly not going to put any money in.

According to his company's latest account this 'cash cow' has so far cost him £50 million.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hull-city-accounts-assem-allam-4105665

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #160 on July 12, 2020, 10:27:29 am by Campsall rover »
Think you are bang on with that assessment.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #161 on July 12, 2020, 10:33:35 am by Chris Black come back »

Rant over.

Harsh to say he got lucky with Kane and Wilks. I was one of many that was critical of those inexperienced loan signings, and I was wrong.

I was angry with and at McCann when he left us, but as time passes you have to look at it rationally. He’d had his budget cut here, he’d taken us probably as far as anyone could have in the circumstances, Hull offered a wildcard shot at the Championship. Up until January, when he was forced to sell Bowen and Grosicki, he was doing a good job there.

Last season gave us some of the most exciting football and great days out in all my years supporting the club. I am grateful to McCann for that and also disappointed he didn’t continue into this season.

I’m also delighted with Darren Moore, who I agree shows integrity in everything he does, and I feel he’s the right man for the job. It’s not a criticism of Moore to say I still miss some of the football we played under McCann. We were a ruthless team and really exciting to watch. Moore’s team is different, as are the players at his disposal. I’m confident he’ll continue to be a really good manager for us.

McCann had his budget cut? Not heard that one before. By how much?

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #162 on July 12, 2020, 10:46:33 am by NewDonny »

Rant over.

McCann had to reduce the wage bill so it was inevitable that players like Rowe and others left as they did. They were being offered less than they were originally on and so felt they could do better elsewhere. The only weapon & tactic open to him to him to try and get these players to stay was to be a part of something they had started but not finished yet and ask them for their commitment.

So he already had agreed his reduced budget but then found that budget had been reduced again when he came back from his family holiday just a few weeks later but still tried to make that work and with no sign of Hull FC on the horizon.

Should he have stayed? Should he have talked about loyalty as he did? Should he have taken the job at Hull City? Well all I know is, that if someone gave me the opportunity to better myself and challenge me at a higher level I would have to seriously consider it, irrespective of how happy I am in my work. So criticising someone for doing exactly that is complete nonsense and conveniently forgets exactly what you say Jonathan about the wonderful season he was at the club as the manager and the just what might have been but for a couple of penalties.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #163 on July 12, 2020, 10:52:08 am by Jonathan »

Rant over.

Clearly I can’t tell you the figures, I can only say what I’ve been informed and believe to be true - that the initial indicative budget was reduced ahead of the return to pre-season. It can still be true that the budget had increased from the previous season as we’re often told. It can also be true that we can accept the budget will change without that being taken to be a slant at the club or the owners. Budgets can and do change, and I believe that it did.

Can I prove it? No. If I turned the question around and substitute “cut” for “increased” would I expect you or anyone else to provide the figures? No. Do I want to get into an argument about it for the next 10 weeks? No.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:12:54 am by Jonathan »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #164 on July 12, 2020, 11:09:23 am by selby »
  Wilt's, the Allams have been trying to sell the club since the day they gained promotion to the Premiership, overpricing the club from the off thinking they were going to make a killing.
  They are terrible to work for at management level both on and off the field of play, especially the old man who had the reigns originally. They go through staff at a rapid rate and woe betide anyone that falls out of step.
  It is and always has been business with them, quite a few potential new owners falling by the wayside after crunching the numbers. If a change of owners do not eventually come forward I can only see them carrying on their fall from grace, most of those losses coming since their fall out of the premiership even with their goody bag from that period and will only get bigger when this seasons figures are published.
  As a club at the moment they do not have a lot going for them, and their worth is plummeting by the year, and the fact is historically apart from a couple of purple patches in their history their core support is not that much better off than ours and was always fickle to the success of the two rugby league sides , and the East Riding is more a hot bed of Leeds supporters than South Yorkshire.
  Personally I think they are in the doo doo.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #165 on July 12, 2020, 11:53:17 am by Colemans Left Hook »
think we need to bring the attempt to rename Hull into this and the failure as a reason they decided to "get rid"

7 years ago it seems

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23629379

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #166 on July 12, 2020, 12:01:55 pm by Padge_DRFC »
I actually think it's half a compliment how bitter people are to McCann. Not one Rovers fan can probably honestly say they were pleased he went. I remember renewing my season ticket and just thinking I'm paying to watch us go up this year with him in charge. He served up some of the best attacking football in the last decade for me and it was great to watch.
In the end we now have another excellent manager who started on a severe disadvantage having to almost get in half a team in no time. The football has again been decent mainly. To say he came with reputation probably unfairly of hoof ball from West Brom fans the football is decent.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #167 on July 12, 2020, 12:29:41 pm by IDM »
I’ve said this before and I will say it again.

The only problem with McCann’s departure was the timing, and that he had let go several top players without yet recruiting replacements.

Would the scenario be different had Hull come knocking 3 or 4 weeks sooner, or later.?

McCann made a point about player loyalty, not quoting him exactly, but he basically said if players didn’t want to be here then they could go.

Before Hull made their approach, did McCann have any desire to leave.?  Having just had the season he had had, I would guess probably not.

But when Hull came in, he left, and pretty quickly.

So all he did was follow his own philosophy about players leaving.  He left us in a mess, yes, but that was down to timing rather than anything else, IMHO.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #168 on July 12, 2020, 12:30:16 pm by RoversAlias »
You can debate budget speculation and all that but the fact is McCann banged on and on about loyalty regarding players then left at the very first chance he could, a week after all that big talk, for a team clearly going downhill. That sheer hypocrisy is why many of us will never have a good word to say about him again.

He gets all he deserves at Hull and I continue to hope they get relegated so another team in that fight can stay up another year.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #169 on July 12, 2020, 12:36:14 pm by Alan Southstand »
We may well have been playing good attacking football, but it was largely an inherited squad, enhanced by 2.5 good loanees.

The thing I like about DM’s football is that it’s more balanced, that is we could match all the best sides in attack and we were hard to beat.

My big worry now is twofold:
1) the impact of COVID on our budget and, therefore, squad
2) someone coming in with a serious offer for DM.

Both scenario’s are possible, at the moment. We’ll be back 5 or 6 seasons if both come to fruition!

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #170 on July 12, 2020, 02:01:43 pm by Draytonian III »
Couple of points ,last week we had some body on here whinging and crying about talking no Rovers stuff. Also what did Daddy’s little soldier do with us a few years back and kept his job 3 draws and 14 defeats

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #171 on July 12, 2020, 04:07:21 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
You can debate budget speculation and all that but the fact is McCann banged on and on about loyalty regarding players then left at the very first chance he could, a week after all that big talk, for a team clearly going downhill. That sheer hypocrisy is why many of us will never have a good word to say about him again.

He gets all he deserves at Hull and I continue to hope they get relegated so another team in that fight can stay up another year.

i have just written a script that ends with  Birmingham getting relegated   

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #172 on July 12, 2020, 04:46:47 pm by mushRTID »
I’m not sure Bowen and Grosizki going should be used as sympathy for him.

Everybody in football must know the type of owners he decided to go and work for, and that selling those assets was always on the cards.

He could not wait to get away, and chose the first and possibly the worst club to jump to.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #173 on July 12, 2020, 05:07:19 pm by silent majority »

Rant over.

Clearly I can’t tell you the figures, I can only say what I’ve been informed and believe to be true - that the initial indicative budget was reduced ahead of the return to pre-season. It can still be true that the budget had increased from the previous season as we’re often told. It can also be true that we can accept the budget will change without that being taken to be a slant at the club or the owners. Budgets can and do change, and I believe that it did.

Can I prove it? No. If I turned the question around and substitute “cut” for “increased” would I expect you or anyone else to provide the figures? No. Do I want to get into an argument about it for the next 10 weeks? No.

You can't prove it because it's not true.

And every year we, the VSC, see the accounts and can verify that the budget has never been cut. What confuses the situation is that the final wage bill for that season may have been higher than expected due to end of season bonuses, plus bonuses for the excellent cup run, but to suggest that McCann had his budget cut is untrue. You and New Donny need to curtail the misinformation you keep putting out about budgets and players contracts.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #174 on July 12, 2020, 05:15:19 pm by silent majority »

I have no particular love for Hull City or their owner (Assem Allam) but to say he only ever saw them as cash cow goes against all the evidence.

He is a Hull based businessman who has donated £millions to charitable projects in the city. He never particularly wanted to become owner, it was originally supposed to be a partnership, and only did so because saw how important the club was to the area - and they had huge debts at the time.

In fact the problem with his ownership was exactly the opposite. He wanted the club to be a sustainable business, he literally incorporated it into his business rather than run it as a separate company, and wanted to generate extra revenue to fund it. Hence the mad idea to change the name and then the membership scheme which alienated the fans.

I doubt he will just drop the club but he is certainly not going to put any money in.

According to his company's latest account this 'cash cow' has so far cost him £50 million.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hull-city-accounts-assem-allam-4105665

selby is pretty much spot on Wilts. The Allams have been taking money out of that club from day one. They charge interest on their loan, and take it every year, plus they charge the club for their management experience every single year without exception.

They've been at odds with the supporters trust for years, and most trust members have been banned from the stadium for speaking up. Even the EFL have admitted that they should have been harsher on the club when the Allams cancelled concessions.

The truth is they're terrible owners and not the benevolent people you mention.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #175 on July 12, 2020, 05:25:22 pm by selby »
  I live in an area where the hull local papers are obtainable, which I read occasionally and have more or less stated what they have printed over the years, and information from people who have been employed in some capacity in the offices.
  Neither have been very complimentary of any of the family that own the club for one reason or another.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #176 on July 12, 2020, 05:44:37 pm by Chris Black come back »

Rant over.

You can't prove it because it's not true.

And every year we, the VSC, see the accounts and can verify that the budget has never been cut. What confuses the situation is that the final wage bill for that season may have been higher than expected due to end of season bonuses, plus bonuses for the excellent cup run, but to suggest that McCann had his budget cut is untrue. You and New Donny need to curtail the misinformation you keep putting out about budgets and players contracts.

That is helpful factual context. Did not think I had heard anything about the budget being cut. This explains why.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #177 on July 12, 2020, 07:08:18 pm by Jonathan »

selby is pretty much spot on Wilts. The Allams have been taking money out of that club from day one. They charge interest on their loan, and take it every year, plus they charge the club for their management experience every single year without exception.

They've been at odds with the supporters trust for years, and most trust members have been banned from the stadium for speaking up. Even the EFL have admitted that they should have been harsher on the club when the Allams cancelled concessions.

The truth is they're terrible owners and not the benevolent people you mention.

The statement of accounts will not reveal that a manager had been informed he would need to work off one indicative budget, and later informed that it would be lower than that. So you dismiss it as untrue, but you don’t know that. Granted you know far more about the inner workings of the club than many, but you don’t know everything. Players and their representatives will know things that you don’t. Other members of staff will also know more than you about some matters. That may be an uncomfortable truth, but you are not the sole authority on all matters DRFC.

I’m not wishing to get into a slanging match, nor am I wishing to disparage the owners that put their hands in their pockets and have every right to choose how to run the club, what budgets to set and what contracts to offer. I’m merely stating a relevant point that I believe to be true, and you’re countering with a point that you believe to be true. Fair game. Recently you referred to this process as me “challenging you” but I’m not sure what we’d have to agree your role is for that to be true.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 07:29:40 pm by Jonathan »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #178 on July 12, 2020, 07:42:18 pm by silent majority »
Jonathan,

I despair at times, I really do. We have a supporters trust who works tirelessly to build relationships with all members of staff at DRFC. We're shareholders. We have an MOU signed by both parties to further that relationship to one of real trust between us both. We're here, as one of our goals, and probably our number one goal, which is to ensure that this club endures, and that we operate on a financial footing that  will never see this club in danger.

But apart from that, Gavin and myself have had a working relationship which helps us share information that no player would ever get to know, especially those that drift into the club and then out again. We don't just meet for a coffee and chew the fat, we actually do work together to promote DRFC for the benefit of all, but especially supporters. The flow of information that comes from those meetings helps in all kinds of areas. We also meet with various directors and shareholders within DRFC which further enhances the relationship on all sides.

To suggest that we don't discuss budgets and compare season on season, and how that budget is getting spent is insulting to both Gavin and myself. Its also insulting to the Supporters Board who give up their spare time and discuss the very same issues. Yes, I agree the accounts won't show everything, but thats why we sit down with the Finance Director and go through them in detail, so that we can understand wht they relate to and how that affects the performance of the club.

I'm not getting into a 'slanging match' either, nor do I consider this as one. But I'm happy to name my sources when I mention budgets and accounts. But to suggest that a player or a players rep will know more about DRFC is quite frankly absurd.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #179 on July 12, 2020, 08:11:13 pm by Draytonian III »
I don’t see why any football club has to divulge it’s business to the general public especially when it’s the more mundane issues. I’ve not always agreed with SM and no doubt in the future I will disagree with him again, but why does the OUR budget have to become public.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012