Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 01:44:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Hull City  (Read 51472 times)

The Mighty Brian Rowe

• VSC Member
Re: Hull City
« Reply #270 on July 14, 2020, 10:26:51 pm by The Mighty Brian Rowe »
After match interview...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08ks729

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 10:32:00 pm by The Mighty Brian Rowe »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #271 on July 14, 2020, 10:54:12 pm by Prez »
Shame it wasn’t Burnsy asking the questions, he would have slaughtered him.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #272 on July 15, 2020, 12:03:15 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Got to feel sorry for McCann after a result like that.

Actually, no, f**k him.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #273 on July 15, 2020, 12:21:40 am by Colemans Left Hook »
Malik subbed at half time.
that might have been to save him for the next match !! which would have been a sensible move

--was thinking what the odds were about winning their next match and guess who it is mighty Luton away .sorry at home ... unbelievably a match they could win !!!!  then its Cardiff away

apparently the players lost their appetite for both football and the post match meal   lots of free food went begging could say they "ate nil" :suicide:

actually an 8-0 defeat ( in a cup game)  i seem to recall didn't do Rovers any harm . At the time of the beating i decided what would happen at the end of the season and was right . :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/2553547.stm
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 12:44:39 am by Colemans Left Hook »

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #274 on July 15, 2020, 01:09:13 am by Colemans Left Hook »
actually having just looked at the remaining fixtures if

"dropping like a stone" Birmingham can beat Charlton today Hull will have an excellent chance of staying up.

charlton then play  wigan home and Leeds away

if  Charlton draw with wigan and lose to leeds they end up with   47 points

Hull beating Luton puts them on 48 points and a better goal difference than Luton who can then only make 48 points

and my "is it worth getting promotion " thread comes true

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=275083.0

as usual lots of "if's" but Hull can quite easily stay up if Birmingham somehow win that match.

meanwhile the Middlesbrough team are all suffering nosebleads  :chair:

« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 01:15:52 am by Colemans Left Hook »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #275 on July 15, 2020, 09:08:11 am by idler »
that might have been to save him for the next match !! which would have been a sensible move

--was thinking what the odds were about winning their next match and guess who it is mighty Luton away .sorry at home ... unbelievably a match they could win !!!!  then its Cardiff away

apparently the players lost their appetite for both football and the post match meal   lots of free food went begging could say they "ate nil" :suicide:

actually an 8-0 defeat ( in a cup game)  i seem to recall didn't do Rovers any harm . At the time of the beating i decided what would happen at the end of the season and was right . :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/2553547.stm
After we lost 8-0 at Leyton Orient I knew that I would get good natured stick from workmates. I bought a box of After Eight mints and handed them round when I got there in the morning. A good laugh all round and less stick.
Always remember that football goes in cycles. Enjoy the good times to help you through the bad times.The ones that shout and gloat the most are the ones that get the most stick when it goes wrong.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #276 on July 15, 2020, 09:24:22 am by drfchound »
actually having just looked at the remaining fixtures if

"dropping like a stone" Birmingham can beat Charlton today Hull will have an excellent chance of staying up.

charlton then play  wigan home and Leeds away

if  Charlton draw with wigan and lose to leeds they end up with   47 points

Hull beating Luton puts them on 48 points and a better goal difference than Luton who can then only make 48 points

and my "is it worth getting promotion " thread comes true

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=275083.0

as usual lots of "if's" but Hull can quite easily stay up if Birmingham somehow win that match.

meanwhile the Middlesbrough team are all suffering nosebleads  :chair:

My money would be on Luton to beat Hull.
Luton have had some good results of late and have momentum.
No more points for Hull this season.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #277 on July 15, 2020, 09:57:23 am by Pancho Regan »

Always remember that football goes in cycles. Enjoy the good times to help you through the bad times.The ones that shout and gloat the most are the ones that get the most stick when it goes wrong.

Wise words Idler, very true.

That's why, apart from the McCann factor, there's another reason why I find myself with a wry smile at the current fortunes of Hull City.

During our incredible march to the Division 3 title in 2003-04 in our first season back in the Football League, we enjoyed a brilliant rivalry with Hull, from which we came out very much on top.
They of course had to settle for promotion as runners-up.

The following season however, they completed back-to-back promotions and went up into what is now the Championship.

After they clinched promotion, I made the mistake of going onto their fans' forum. I remember vividly reading one Hull fan's post in which he derided Rovers, with words along the lines of ''We're going back to the level where we belong, and I predict we'll never again have to play that odious little club with its odious fans......."

Not long after that, they achieved promotion to the Premier League and, begrudgingly, I thought he might be right.

Fast forward to now, to Grant McCann, to last night's humiliation and Hull's probable relegation into our League.

Funny how things come around isn't it?

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #278 on July 15, 2020, 11:54:10 am by wing commander »
  He sounded like a man who knew he had two games left as manager whether they stay up or not..

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #279 on July 15, 2020, 12:20:08 pm by IDM »
If they get relegated I expect he will get the sack.  If they survive by the skin of their teeth I suspect it would be curtains too, due to their shocking form.

That’s not a reflection of how we feel about McCann either, just an opinion on the realities of football today.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #280 on July 15, 2020, 12:35:42 pm by DRNaith »
From memory, I think he got a bonus if he kept them out of the bottom third.

That being the case, I suspect relegation was never considered a possibility.

Like every manager though, McCann will get another club sooner or later.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #281 on July 15, 2020, 12:44:48 pm by eastender »

Like every manager though, McCann will get another club sooner or later.

Paul Dickov never got another club . ;) anyway Colchester are looking for a new manager , McCann can always go to L2 if he get's the sack.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #282 on July 15, 2020, 03:41:03 pm by scawsby steve »
Toll Bar Raggy Arse Wanderers are looking for a new manager. Ten quid and a packet of condoms per match.

That's about his level now.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #283 on July 15, 2020, 09:34:46 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Toll Bar Raggy Arse Wanderers are looking for a new manager. Ten quid and a packet of condoms per match.

That's about his level now.

does anyone remember this ....   Dickov was actually 5/2 favourite for The Sheffield Wednesday job  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

the idea was so stupid CLH never forgot that "joke"

https://ws.sportsmole.co.uk/football/sheffield-wednesday/news/dickov-in-running-for-owls-job_122480.html

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #284 on July 15, 2020, 09:51:04 pm by PDX_Rover »
Fate eh? If he'd stayed with us, I believe we would have been right up there this season pushing for automatic promotion.

Eejit.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #285 on July 16, 2020, 01:23:20 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Not sure PDX.

I said at the time he left that jumping ship, to that club of all clubs, screamed out that McCann didn't have confidence in himself.

He inherited an excellent situation at Donny. For all Ferguson's faults, he had put together a superb squad. And McCann was given support to improve it. And fair play to him, he did a very good job with what he had. If he's had confidence in his own ability, he'd have stayed another year. he would have built on what he'd done and taken us up, or at least had us challenging seriously again. Do that, and he'd have had good, well-run Championship clubs sniffing round.

But he knew Marquis was going. He knew Rowe was going. He knew he wasn't going to get Wilks and Kane back. He knew he had to rebuild the defence. I don't think he had the self-confidence to trust himself to do that. So instead, he jumped at the first Championship club t show him a bit of leg. Even a shit show like Hull.

I said 12 months ago that he was only 2 months of shit form away from seeing his managerial career evaporate. Who is going to take him on now? A CV of one featherbedded "nearly" with us, where he left us far worse than he found us, one massive under achievement at Peterborough and one utter catastrophe at Hull.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #286 on July 16, 2020, 02:45:39 am by Draytonian III »
Football is a job , if someone offers more money to do the same job elsewhere the majority of people will take it .

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #287 on July 16, 2020, 06:11:42 am by turnbull for england »
Did anyone see the goals last night ? The hattrick and 8th was an absolute belter

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #288 on July 16, 2020, 08:23:06 am by Alan Southstand »
Nice one BST, I like that piece, as it says it as it was. He was very lucky in a lot of ways - inheriting what was a good solid base of a squad that had a lot of potential within it. Then, he dropped lucky with Kane and Wilks. The number of times we sign up and coming young lads that find it difficult when they are playing against tried and tested pro’s every week! But those 2 blossomed and why, because they were in very good company, that’s why. Kane had Whiteman alongside and Wilks had Marquis doing the bits Wilks doesn’t like.........grafting!
I think he realised himself at the end of last season that losing the likes of Rowe, Butler and Marquis was going to be a massive, if not impossible, task, given the budget constraints. And, don’t forget his words after the Charlton game - “we’ll come back stronger”. Defiant words, with no substance to them at all. I’ll bet, to this day, he regrets saying it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 08:26:24 am by Alan Southstand »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #289 on July 16, 2020, 09:25:54 am by idler »
Football is a job , if someone offers more money to do the same job elsewhere the majority of people will take it .
Sometimes, in all walks of life stability for a bit less is far better than uncertainty for a little more.
He surely knew from their past record that our owners are patient and don't go for knee jerk decisions and reactions.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #290 on July 16, 2020, 10:15:05 am by roversdude »
Alan I totally agree with that except the Butler part - we didn’t so much lose him as kick him out. By the sound of things GM didn’t leave us needing to send Christmas cards to people left at Rovers, he seemed to have upset many long before departing.
I guess the old adage “you reap what you sow” fits here

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #291 on July 16, 2020, 11:30:47 am by eastender »
Alan I totally agree with that except the Butler part - we didn’t so much lose him as kick him out. By the sound of things GM didn’t leave us needing to send Christmas cards to people left at Rovers, he seemed to have upset many long before departing.
I guess the old adage “you reap what you sow” fits here

He's seems to have upset quite a few people at Hull by looking at their results, 1 win in 19 and that was only down to a 91st min winner against Middlesbrough.

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #292 on July 16, 2020, 12:07:01 pm by Guernsey Exile »
Saw this in relation to what McCann blamed the defeat on

He blamed the ref for not agreeing to his request to have a new ball provided.

Apparently when the ref asked what was wrong with the existing ball, McCann said 'Wigan are playing with that one'.

Brilliant!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #293 on July 16, 2020, 12:36:23 pm by RoversAlias »
Bang on post that BST, I do agree.

Based on the reaction to his sudden departure last summer from players - Marosi, Butler and Andrew spring immediately to mind - and now seeing the total lack of desire in the Hull players, it would appear from the outside that McCann has a man management problem. You won't get too far in this business alienating your players. Surprised he didn't learn this as a player since he captained various teams.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #294 on July 16, 2020, 01:46:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

There's a world of difference between a "job" and a "career".

I'll give you an example. 4 years ago, a well-backed new company offered to double my income. But it would have meant me winding up a company I've built over 15 years. I was tempted but I said no. As it is, the new company seems to have struggled to make an impact in the market, whereas we have plodded on. It looks like I made the right choice, even if it meant turning down an eyewatering package 4 years back.

That's a story that McCann might have time to reflect on over the coming years.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 02:11:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #295 on July 16, 2020, 03:34:17 pm by scawsby steve »
Not sure PDX.

I said at the time he left that jumping ship, to that club of all clubs, screamed out that McCann didn't have confidence in himself.

He inherited an excellent situation at Donny. For all Ferguson's faults, he had put together a superb squad. And McCann was given support to improve it. And fair play to him, he did a very good job with what he had. If he's had confidence in his own ability, he'd have stayed another year. he would have built on what he'd done and taken us up, or at least had us challenging seriously again. Do that, and he'd have had good, well-run Championship clubs sniffing round.

But he knew Marquis was going. He knew Rowe was going. He knew he wasn't going to get Wilks and Kane back. He knew he had to rebuild the defence. I don't think he had the self-confidence to trust himself to do that. So instead, he jumped at the first Championship club t show him a bit of leg. Even a shit show like Hull.

I said 12 months ago that he was only 2 months of shit form away from seeing his managerial career evaporate. Who is going to take him on now? A CV of one featherbedded "nearly" with us, where he left us far worse than he found us, one massive under achievement at Peterborough and one utter catastrophe at Hull.

Brilliant post. Every aspect of it is totally correct.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #296 on July 16, 2020, 03:59:38 pm by jmt23 »
I tend to agree with what BST has mentioned also - however, I would always want to do better and the chance to earn significantly more would be enticing. Football is a short career never knowing what is around the corner.
We are obviously very tribalistic about this - how dare they leave our club for a bigger supported club, and an extra grand a week! I dare bet most of us would think long and hard about jumping ship, for a quarter of that!

What I would say BST is, they were offering you the money for your contacts, and you could have made the difference at that company and gained them a foothold in the sector. Whether they would have rinsed you dry and got rid, is another thing.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #297 on July 16, 2020, 04:06:15 pm by silent majority »
I don't think anybody would begrudge somebody moving onwards and upwards. It was the way it was done that sticks in the throat.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #298 on July 16, 2020, 04:36:38 pm by scawsby steve »
I tend to agree with what BST has mentioned also - however, I would always want to do better and the chance to earn significantly more would be enticing. Football is a short career never knowing what is around the corner.
We are obviously very tribalistic about this - how dare they leave our club for a bigger supported club, and an extra grand a week! I dare bet most of us would think long and hard about jumping ship, for a quarter of that!

What I would say BST is, they were offering you the money for your contacts, and you could have made the difference at that company and gained them a foothold in the sector. Whether they would have rinsed you dry and got rid, is another thing.

I think you've missed the point of BST's post. Because of all the circumstances of both clubs, and McCann's CV, it wasn't a career enhancing move to join Hull; in fact it was the opposite.

It might possibly have ruined his managerial prospects for good.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #299 on July 16, 2020, 05:07:52 pm by jmt23 »
No I understood it fully , you obviously don't (or should'nt) jump ship without due diligence - he must have seen, or have been given assurances that filled him with enough confidence they could at least stay up, and build from there.

If the reports of a bonus for staying out of the bottom three is true, it would say to me they that their  expectations were pretty low, so perhaps he thought it was an easier job than it turned out.

I thought they would at least stay up, they had enough quality within the team - some of that was sold off however!

Im not defending Mcsnake here by the way, he left us high and dry by all accounts, mind you it wouldn't be DRFC if things were nice and smooth.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012