Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:38:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Hull City  (Read 51433 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Hull City
« Reply #300 on July 16, 2020, 05:11:58 pm by drfchound »
No I understood it fully , you obviously don't (or should'nt) jump ship without due diligence - he must have seen, or have been given assurances that filled him with enough confidence they could at least stay up, and build from there.

If the reports of a bonus for staying out of the bottom three is true, it would say to me they that their  expectations were pretty low, so perhaps he thought it was an easier job than it turned out.

I thought they would at least stay up, they had enough quality within the team - some of that was sold off however!

Im not defending Mcsnake here by the way, he left us high and dry by all accounts, mind you it wouldn't be DRFC if things were nice and smooth.

If my memory is correct the offered bonus wasn't for staying out of the bottom three, it was for staying out of the bottom third of the division.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #301 on July 16, 2020, 05:13:25 pm by elmsallrover »
Only 2 win since and including new years day a bit like our away form under mccan when we only won away at Bradford in 2019

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #302 on July 16, 2020, 05:14:34 pm by DRNaith »
No I understood it fully , you obviously don't (or should'nt) jump ship without due diligence - he must have seen, or have been given assurances that filled him with enough confidence they could at least stay up, and build from there.

If the reports of a bonus for staying out of the bottom three is true, it would say to me they that their  expectations were pretty low, so perhaps he thought it was an easier job than it turned out.

I thought they would at least stay up, they had enough quality within the team - some of that was sold off however!

Im not defending Mcsnake here by the way, he left us high and dry by all accounts, mind you it wouldn't be DRFC if things were nice and smooth.

If my memory is correct the offered bonus wasn't for staying out of the bottom three, it was for staying out of the bottom third of the division.

That's how I remember it too, Hound, hence my earlier post.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #303 on July 16, 2020, 05:17:53 pm by DRNaith »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #304 on July 16, 2020, 05:36:44 pm by drfchound »

That's how I remember it too, Hound, hence my earlier post.

Ah cheers DRN, I don’t read every post on every thread.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #305 on July 16, 2020, 06:18:38 pm by jmt23 »
ahh I mis read the post!  I thought it was a strange bonus system, that screamed "we think were going down"  still, a bonus for staying out  of the bottom third, kind of states where they think they are as a club - I wonder why, is that budget related compared to other clubs?
The figures I saw reported that they payed players were huge, so that is frightening, and in no way can rovers compete in that league.

We, along with Barnsley and Rotherham have pulled off minor miracles to stay in that league for more than one season

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #306 on July 16, 2020, 06:53:18 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Looking at Hulls twitter apparently he didn't take training today and sent Cliff into the pre match conference.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #307 on July 16, 2020, 08:45:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Jmt

Without going into too much detail about my case, they wanted me for my expertise which they thought could help them develop specific products.

I had two issues. Loyalty to what I've built myself. And a nagging concern that there was nothing in their products.

It's actually a very, very close analogy to McCann's case.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #308 on July 16, 2020, 08:50:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I don't think anybody would begrudge somebody moving onwards and upwards. It was the way it was done that sticks in the throat.

Absolutely don't blame anyone for doing that.

I just thought that jumping into a shit show like Hull, and leaving us in the mess he did said a lot about his lack of belief in his own ability.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #309 on July 16, 2020, 08:52:12 pm by silent majority »
I don't think anybody would begrudge somebody moving onwards and upwards. It was the way it was done that sticks in the throat.

Absolutely don't blame anyone for doing that.

I just thought that jumping into a shit show like Hull, and leaving us in the mess he did said a lot about his lack of belief in his own ability.

He never struck me as someone who doubted his ability, but even as it was happening you had to question his judgement, and his willingness to treat DRFC the way he did.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #310 on July 16, 2020, 09:06:10 pm by Jonathan »
I think he took what he saw as a calculated risk.

If you look at the timeline of events; straight after the Charlton game he was adamant that we had deals lined up that were close to completion.

As time wore on, those deals didn’t appear to materialise.

It was clear from January that Marquis would move on in the summer. Kane and Wilks departed with no realistic chance of return and Downing started to slip from our grasp.

I’d imagine he did question whether he’d be able to match or better the previous season with that sequence of events.

The chance at Hull came up, and they are a shit show of a club, but they were in the Championship with at least one if not two of the top players in the division. A less successful season with us could have made a move to the Championship that bit harder for him, so he took the chance when it arose. I thought it was the wrong decision for him at the time, and history looks like it’ll prove that. I also felt he could’ve shown more loyalty to our club after we gave him a good job and backed him. He left security for a real wildcard. As time has worn on, looking back at the situation and bearing in mind the above timeline, I’ve begun to understand it more regardless of whether I still feel he made an error (and I’m sure deep down he’ll question that too).

I wish him no ill. He was brilliant for us in that season and I loved watching the team under him. I’ll follow his career with interest after that and I think he still has enough stock to bounce back from the current mess. They may even stay up but I expect McCann will move on regardless. Failing at Hull is a bit like failing at Leeds became for a period of time - a blemish that can easily be wiped out elsewhere.

That was always the risk, that’s football and it’s a short career. 

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #311 on July 16, 2020, 09:36:03 pm by jmt23 »
I agree Jonathan, he now has managerial Championship experience - which is how I would market myself when going for jobs.

BST - that's fair enough, the only difference I suppose is , you had/have control over your destiny, im not sure many managers do, even when they are doing well in some cases.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #312 on July 16, 2020, 10:46:21 pm by roversdude »
Makes you wonder if Adkins gave him the full story and he just ignored it or if he only got half a tale from his mentor

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #313 on July 16, 2020, 11:46:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I agree Jonathan, he now has managerial Championship experience - which is how I would market myself when going for jobs.

BST - that's fair enough, the only difference I suppose is , you had/have control over your destiny, im not sure many managers do, even when they are doing well in some cases.

That is a very fair point. Football management is a precarious job and I can see why managers would want to take opportunities when they emerge rather than run the risk of staying put and being axed anyway on a Chairman's whim.

But if there is one club which has shown its willingness to support managers over the long-term, through peaks and troughs, surely it is the Rovers. We supported O'Driscoll and Ferguson through runs of bad form that stand alongside anything in the club's history, and gave them the chance to come good. McCann must have known that he'd get plenty of support to demonstrate his ability with us and wouldn't be booted out after a couple of months of poor form. It all adds to the sense that he didn't feel capable of stepping up to that challenge and building his long-term reputation, preferring to grab what everyone could see was a poisoned chalice at Hull. The fact that Moore came in to the disaster that McCann had left, and took us to within two or three shocking refereeing decisions of making the play-offs shows what a top quality manager could do here. McCann passed up on that chance and he's got a long, hard job to do to develop his reputation now.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #314 on July 18, 2020, 02:58:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Lose this afternoon and Hull are effectively down.

What a shame...

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #315 on July 18, 2020, 03:02:51 pm by Alan Southstand »
Well done to Charlton, in digging out those two draws to take them 3 points from both Hull and Luton.

Charlton will be hoping there’s a few headaches in Leeds next week!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #316 on July 18, 2020, 03:05:04 pm by RoversAlias »

What a shame...

Not quite, they would be 3 behind Luton and Charlton but they have a better goal difference than Luton, so if they lose narrowly but win on Wednesday they may jump ahead of them and finish above Wigan once their deduction is applied, since Wigan blew it late against Charlton.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #317 on July 18, 2020, 04:27:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

What a shame...

Not quite, they would be 3 behind Luton and Charlton but they have a better goal difference than Luton, so if they lose narrowly but win on Wednesday they may jump ahead of them and finish above Wigan once their deduction is applied, since Wigan blew it late against Charlton.

I'm a pragmatist. If they lose, they are 3 points and 16+ goals behind Charlton. Lose today and they are down.

Come on Luton!

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #318 on July 18, 2020, 04:44:52 pm by Guernsey Exile »
1-0 Luton

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #319 on July 18, 2020, 04:45:56 pm by scawsby steve »
Luton just scored. Whoopydo.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #320 on July 18, 2020, 04:46:09 pm by Alan Southstand »
Lua-lua

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #321 on July 18, 2020, 04:54:40 pm by DonnyOsmond »
They've gotta be down now.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #322 on July 18, 2020, 04:57:15 pm by scawsby steve »
All over. Hull must be down now.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #323 on July 18, 2020, 04:58:17 pm by Chris Black come back »
They lost and are pretty much down now. Their form has been absolutely miserable. Last 20 games have delivered 16 defeats, 3 draws and 1 victory (2-1 with last minute goal). They have lost their last five games in a row. Exceptionally poor form.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #324 on July 18, 2020, 05:01:50 pm by RoversAlias »
Katanga LuaLua, the former Rovers player, all but sinks Hull. Funny old world!

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #325 on July 18, 2020, 05:02:58 pm by WheatleyRover »
They have to score about 16 goals agaist Cardiff to stay up lol

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #326 on July 18, 2020, 05:04:04 pm by Alan Southstand »
It depends how many points Wigan are penalised!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #327 on July 18, 2020, 05:04:44 pm by Chris Black come back »
It is three now from five - Dingles, Hull, Luton, Wigan and Charlton. At moment looks like Charlton have best chance of avoiding relegation. Bun fight for rest.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #328 on July 18, 2020, 05:07:02 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
actually having just looked at the remaining fixtures if

"dropping like a stone" Birmingham can beat Charlton today Hull will have an excellent chance of staying up.

charlton then play  wigan home and Leeds away

if  Charlton draw with wigan and lose to leeds they end up with   47 points

Hull beating Luton puts them on 48 points and a better goal difference than Luton who can then only make 48 points

and my "is it worth getting promotion " thread comes true

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=275083.0

as usual lots of "if's" but Hull can quite easily stay up if Birmingham somehow win that match.

meanwhile the Middlesbrough team are all suffering nosebleads  :chair:

My money would be on Luton to beat Hull.
Luton have had some good results of late and have momentum.
No more points for Hull this season.

Yes well done you were right !!!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #329 on July 18, 2020, 05:27:45 pm by Campsall rover »
Well done Mr McCann.
Should have stayed with us. The grass isn’t always greener.
Thought he was mad to go to Hull and it turns out he was.
A club on a massive downer. He must have seen £ signs. Can’t see what else could have been his motivation in taking that job.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012