Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 10:32:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit deal  (Read 377198 times)

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit deal
« Reply #3360 on May 22, 2019, 12:51:43 pm by Pancho Regan »
I can see it being the end of May by next Friday........

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3361 on May 22, 2019, 06:59:14 pm by Donnywolf »
And yet it still will not get through will it?

A very senior person in my business yesterday summed it up by saying frankly it does not matter what Brexit we get but that we end it one way or another as the uncertainty is what kills us.

I think we could all agree we want it sorting one way or another.....

Aye .... and oh the irony again (my first post for aeons) - Tory MPs have a Vote of no Confidence in the Prime Minister. They do not vote to remove her and under the rules (their own rules) she cannot be challenged again and so is "safe" for 12 Months

However they now want to get rid of her and are trying ways to change the Rules (their own rules) so they can have another vote - while all the time studiously ignoring a lot of people asking for another vote on an issue now 3 years old.

They've only managed about 4 Months (cant be bothered to look) - bloody hypocrites

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #3362 on May 22, 2019, 07:40:17 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
She is a problem though and has been a disaster.  Granted lots of that is in her own making she inherited the impossible yet somehow made it worse.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3363 on May 22, 2019, 08:22:47 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It's quite breathtaking how bad she has been. The political editor of The Times was on R4 tonight talking about it. And bear in mind that The Times is politically very much in the same place as May.

He said that she firstly overplayed her hand in insisting on a hard Brexit. Then called an election she had no need to call and lost. Then failed to do the only thing she then could have done to secure Brexit from there - reach out to form a cross-party consensus. Then reached out to form a cross-party consensus after she'd said she was about to resign, meaning anything she pledged to the other parties wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

It's a record of failure that is simply beyond belief. Not getting minor things wrong. Getting fundamental strategy wrong over and over and over again.

But in many ways, the most damning thing he said wasn't that. He said that for the past 2 years, Cabinet ministers have spoken to him privately saying that they have Cabinet meetings and they have no idea what has been agreed. One side says one thing. The other side argue for something else. Then after the meeting, May makes a speech saying that Cabinet policy is something else entirely. Something that they didn't even discuss.

I genuinely do wonder if she is clinically insane. I don't doubt at all that she has a personality defect that makes her incapable of interacting with other people.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3364 on May 22, 2019, 08:28:57 pm by Donnywolf »
And now Leadsom jumps ship..... give May 24 hours tops now

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #3365 on May 22, 2019, 08:51:33 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
And now Leadsom jumps ship..... give May 24 hours tops now

Now that would be something else - a Conservative leader resigning on the day of a national election.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3366 on May 22, 2019, 08:56:35 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
May has been PM for less than 3 years. This is the THIRTY-SIXTH ministerial resignation! More than one a month.

Context.

Blair was PM for more than ten years. He had 18 ministers resign. Fewer than one every 6 months. 

This is without question the most dysfunctional Govt in modern history.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3367 on May 22, 2019, 10:04:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Whaddya know? Looks like the BBC have been thinking the same.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3368 on May 22, 2019, 11:06:03 pm by Filo »
Tomorrow is the perfect time to put in a motion of no confidence in the government, lets see if these Tory back stabbers really do want her out 😀😀😀

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #3369 on May 23, 2019, 04:10:11 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Tomorrow is the perfect time to put in a motion of no confidence in the government, lets see if these Tory back stabbers really do want her out 😀😀😀

They want just her out, not a general election.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3370 on May 23, 2019, 06:24:20 pm by Filo »

I know that, but current tory party rules prevent it, so put the back stabbing bas**rds on the spot, see ifthey have got any balls 😂😂😂

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #3371 on May 23, 2019, 09:19:32 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

If Corbyn has any sense he'd call for a Confidence vote. Either the Tories back her to avoid an election and look hypocritical and gutless; or they vote against her and trigger a general election...which would happen too soon to be able to replace May and she'd have to lead them into it! Sounds like a win-win to me.

I know that, but current tory party rules prevent it, so put the back stabbing bas**rds on the spot, see ifthey have got any balls 😂😂😂

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3372 on May 24, 2019, 03:34:38 am by SydneyRover »
''It’s hard to imagine. But could this really be the end for the Tories?''

Fingers crossed and milkshakes at the ready!

Guardian comment:

''Thanks for this excellent clip! Leadsom and the rest really did promise absolutely tariff-free easy trade with the EU. Yet now they say only No Deal is "real" Brexit, crashing out with nothing.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/23/end-tories-brexit-election-day-voters-farage#comment-129382020

Farage "So the ukip answer this this there is absolutely nothing to fear in terms of trade from leaving the EU because On D+1 we'll find ourselves part of the EU economic area and with a free trade deal and we should use our membership of the EEA as a holding from which we can negotiate as the EU's biggest export market in the world as a good a deal in the world ...........''

I know this has been posted before but whenever I hear people banging on about brexit I like to play it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoYwS1gJ8aE&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:33:56 am by SydneyRover »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3373 on May 24, 2019, 08:21:06 am by BillyStubbsTears »
So, we're three years into the greatest national crisis since the War, we're two months past the deadline for Brexit, were five months from the next deadline and the Govt is going to be paralysed for the next 2 months sorting out the coronation of Boris f**king Johnson.

Ken Clarke has just summed it up on R4. The next few weeks are going to be a grim period of a group of Tories kicking lumps out of each other to prove who is the most Europhobic.

We are an international embarrassment. And whoever wins won't change the fact that there's no form of Brexit that commands a majority in the House or the country.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #3374 on May 24, 2019, 08:37:31 am by Axholme Lion »
So, we're three years into the greatest national crisis since the War, we're two months past the deadline for Brexit, were five months from the next deadline and the Govt is going to be paralysed for the next 2 months sorting out the coronation of Boris f**king Johnson.

Ken Clarke has just summed it up on R4. The next few weeks are going to be a grim period of a group of Tories kicking lumps out of each other to prove who is the most Europhobic.

We are an international embarrassment. And whoever wins won't change the fact that there's no form of Brexit that commands a majority in the House or the country.

Is 17.4 million enough of a mandate?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3375 on May 24, 2019, 08:45:32 am by BillyStubbsTears »
16.4 million. Do keep up.

And no anyway. Because, as you'd know if you stopped and thought, ther...

Oh f**k it. It's like banging your head against a wall.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3376 on May 24, 2019, 09:29:04 am by Donnywolf »
Good god .... I will be please to see the back of May. Maybot or whatever epithet people want to apply to her

There is little doubt that (as someone says above) she is not wired up like a normal person. Call it stubborness or bloody mindedness I donr know but she "aint"

The downside is ffs - WHAT the hell is the alternative ? Johnson Raab Fox Gove and any of the others being bandied about are frightening - so should I be hoping May holds on to the bannister at Number 10 and refuses to leave ?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3377 on May 24, 2019, 10:39:14 am by Donnywolf »
Oh gawd .... that's torn it ! She's gone

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #3378 on May 24, 2019, 10:54:10 am by Glyn_Wigley »

You're forgetting to subtract the Remain votes.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #3379 on May 24, 2019, 11:04:48 am by Axholme Lion »

You're forgetting to subtract the Remain votes.

They lost, so they don't count. First past the post, winner takes all.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #3380 on May 24, 2019, 12:11:03 pm by albie »
Axholme,

An advisory referendum is not like a General Election.
"First past the post, winner takes all" is not relevant.

You would not suggest that the result of a GE should be binding indefinetly....it applies only to the period a government is in power.

So why would an out of date referendum, conducted in 2016, still hold when circumstances have changed and a new administration takes charge?

Democracy is renewable...it needs to be refreshed as things change and move on!

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #3381 on May 24, 2019, 01:38:58 pm by Axholme Lion »
Axholme,

You would not suggest that the result of a GE should be binding indefinetly....it applies only to the period a government is in power.

So why would an out of date referendum, conducted in 2016, still hold when circumstances have changed and a new administration takes charge?

Is democracy to keep on voting until you get the 'right' answer?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3382 on May 24, 2019, 01:45:53 pm by wilts rover »
Axholme,

Was the 2017 General Election not democratic when faced with 'No deal is better than an bad deal' & 'Brexit means Brexit' the public said, nah dont fancy that.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3383 on May 24, 2019, 08:22:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
https://mobile.twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1131924165714432000

It IS going to go on forever isn't it? Round this same old f**king hamster wheel again.

Another one lining up to feed us this stupid idea that we must threaten to walk away to get a good deal. Knowing that the idea of us walking away is not a credible threat. You don't negotiate by saying "give me what I want or I'll blow my own kneecaps off and you'll get splattered by blood." Not to intelligent people on the other side of the table. Because they know that you don't mean it.

What Johnson is doing here is being the next one in line to show how much he holds you lads in contempt. Because HE knows that he doesn't mean this. But he thinks YOU lot are too f**king thick to work that out, and that you'll support him as the Great Leader.

Remember when May did that? 2 years ago? No Deal is better than a bad deal? Except it wasn't. And everyone round the negotiating table knew it was a puerile bluff served up for people at home to guzzle down.

And now, here we are again. About to repeat the whole shit shock with different actors. And it'll carry on whilever you lot keep swallowing it.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #3384 on May 25, 2019, 11:31:30 am by RedJ »
Axholme,

Dunno, why don't we ask David Davis his opinion on a country changing its mind?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-davis-countries-democracy-brexit-vote-article-50-second-referendum-a7629636.html

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3385 on May 25, 2019, 12:25:50 pm by SydneyRover »
Axholme,

Dunno, why don't we ask David Davis his opinion on a country changing its mind?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-davis-countries-democracy-brexit-vote-article-50-second-referendum-a7629636.html

Hypocrisy, brexit truly knows thy meaning.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #3386 on May 25, 2019, 12:56:15 pm by roversdude »
Johnson showed his true colours when he bought into Mays deal providing she resigned
Cant believe Hancock is standing he can’t even put a sentence together

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #3387 on May 25, 2019, 12:59:47 pm by RedJ »
I can't believe Raab is even being considered, knowing he didn't actually realise how important the Dover-Calais crossing was. Batshit mental.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3388 on May 25, 2019, 01:54:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I can't believe Raab is even being considered, knowing he didn't actually realise how important the Dover-Calais crossing was. Batshit mental.

I'm not sure which was the more pitiable issue about Raab. The fact that he didn't know that, or the fact that he didn't realise how utterly out of his depth he would appear by publicly admitting he didn't know it.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3389 on May 25, 2019, 06:02:56 pm by Donnywolf »
Cant believe Hancock is considering standing for the job either

No sign of the weasel Fox yet

Get Grayling in and he can promise an end to the Pacer trains (yet again)

Hunt rhymes with something that decribes him well. Couldnt remember his wifes Nationality recently - at least he will be paying for that for the rest of his life

Raab incompetent

Leadsome - like May only more of a bully

Johnson - (insert your own thoughts as mine would be libelous)

Gove - two faced last time Johnson was going for the job - so he will need to be watched

Oh yes - someone told me once "be careful what you wish for" and I wanted May exposed as PROBABLY the incompetent PM I have the misfortune to live under. I finally got my wish but now what ?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012