Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 12:53:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit deal  (Read 377266 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit deal
« Reply #4530 on October 02, 2019, 09:03:22 am by SydneyRover »
So not getting industry help for a pork barrel election?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4531 on October 02, 2019, 11:04:15 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Politics late-2019.

Here's a prominent Tory Brexit supporter admiringly quoting Satan.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SteveBakerHW/status/1179184311108538369

Context. That's a quote from Satan in Paradise Lost, where he's mulling over destroying the world so that it can be rebuilt as he wants it to be.

f**k me sideways...

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4532 on October 02, 2019, 03:17:49 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Boris solution to ditching the backstop? He wants goods going from GB to NI or vice versa to have a Customs Declaration, because that's where the checks are going to happen!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4533 on October 02, 2019, 03:33:07 pm by SydneyRover »
Boris solution to ditching the backstop? He wants goods going from GB to NI or vice versa to have a Customs Declaration, because that's where the checks are going to happen!

So the rumours that johnson has asked trump and the Chinese to give him quotes to build an island off the Giants Causeway to be called North-Northern Island are not true? :)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4534 on October 02, 2019, 03:52:38 pm by SydneyRover »
the Tele says johnson is demanding that the EU opens talks on his cunning plan by the weekend or take the blame for No-Deal

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #4535 on October 02, 2019, 03:53:49 pm by IDM »
The no deal that he is legally bound to avoid by Parliament, if a deal isn’t agreed.??

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4536 on October 02, 2019, 03:56:35 pm by drfchound »
Soooo, what happens if the EU won’t accept his proposed deal, won’t give yet another extension and Parliament say he is legally bound to avoid no deal.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4537 on October 02, 2019, 04:01:13 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Soooo, what happens if the EU won’t accept his proposed deal, won’t give yet another extension and Parliament say he is legally bound to avoid no deal.

That's not what Parliament said.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4538 on October 02, 2019, 04:03:44 pm by drfchound »

I didn’t suggest that they had.
IDM did.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4539 on October 02, 2019, 04:06:07 pm by SydneyRover »
Also what happens if the EU agrees to negotiations but they cannot agree before the 32st?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4540 on October 02, 2019, 04:08:10 pm by SydneyRover »
''Boris Johnson’s final “take it or leave it” Brexit offer to Brussels is in danger of being dead on arrival after it was rounded on by government and opposition parties in Ireland.

The prime minister’s proposals were described as unworkable, unacceptable and illegal under British domestic law, which bans any new infrastructure on the Irish border that did not exist before Brexit day.

“If this is the final offer, then there is not a deal to be had,” said one EU official.

Ireland’s European affairs minister, Helen McEntee, said the plans would not be acceptable to Dublin and raised doubts that Johnson was sincere in wanting a deal.

She said: “What we are talking about again is picking and choosing certain parts of the single market that would be aligned in Northern Ireland. It is talking about a time limit, which again is not acceptable.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/02/irish-officials-dismiss-boris-johnson-brexit-offer-as-unacceptable

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #4541 on October 02, 2019, 04:12:42 pm by IDM »

I didn’t suggest that they had.
IDM did.

Yes I did.. the law passed recently to avoid no deal..

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4542 on October 02, 2019, 04:13:48 pm by drfchound »
So is Glyn wrong then when he says that is not what Parliament said?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4543 on October 02, 2019, 04:15:05 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
If there isn't a deal put before Parliament, or if Parliament rejects a deal put before them, then Boris has to ask for an extension by 31st Oct. It didn't make No Deal impossible.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4544 on October 02, 2019, 04:17:13 pm by drfchound »
Yeah but I asked what happens if the EU won’t give another extension.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4545 on October 02, 2019, 04:20:20 pm by SydneyRover »

Then I presume it's up to the opposition alliance to get legislation up before the 31st to stop the madman from wrecking the UK

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4546 on October 02, 2019, 04:22:09 pm by drfchound »
I am now waiting for someone else to offer a different opinion.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #4547 on October 02, 2019, 04:48:56 pm by IDM »
If there isn't a deal put before Parliament, or if Parliament rejects a deal put before them, then Boris has to ask for an extension by 31st Oct. It didn't make No Deal impossible.

I thought it made no deal not possible, for 31 Oct.?  Assuming the government abides by the law and requests the extension as the law demands.

If subsequently the EU denies an extension, then the UK has to act pretty quickly to set up another deal or parliament approves no deal.  I can’t see the latter happening so you’re into the territory of a no confidence vote and even potentially revoking article 50.

To be honest I can’t see the EU rejecting an extension request..

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4548 on October 02, 2019, 05:18:56 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

If Boris asks for the extension, he's complied with the Benn Act, Parliament cant force the EU to give one. If MPs want to stop No Deal in those circumstances they'll have to do something else. It'd probably force them to bang their heads together and work something out so they can introduce a VONC with the certainty of there being a replacement (albeit temporary) Government that commands a majority and gets the reins out of Boris's and Cummings' hands.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4549 on October 02, 2019, 05:34:55 pm by drfchound »

If Boris asks for the extension, he's complied with the Benn Act, Parliament cant force the EU to give one. If MPs want to stop No Deal in those circumstances they'll have to do something else. It'd probably force them to bang their heads together and work something out so they can introduce a VONC with the certainty of there being a replacement (albeit temporary) Government that commands a majority and gets the reins out of Boris's and Cummings' hands.

Thanks for that explanation.
However, what you say is all well and good but.........we have no guarantee that whatever the interim government came up with, that the EU would accept it.
We also don’t know whether we would be allowed a further extension.
Genuinely, what happens then?

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #4550 on October 02, 2019, 05:41:19 pm by i_ateallthepies »
We crash out and Johnson gets another five years.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4551 on October 02, 2019, 06:11:36 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

However, what you say is all well and good but.........we have no guarantee that whatever the interim government came up with, that the EU would accept it.

If the Temporary Government managed to get the reins before 31st Oct and then requested an extension for the specific reason of having a General Election and/or a second referendum - which are both specific events that can change the political nature of the UK, then I think the EU would allow an extension. The problem we have at the moment is that we'd be asking for an extension 'just because' and not for any quantifiable reason.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:46:35 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4552 on October 02, 2019, 06:31:49 pm by Filo »

If the Temporary Government managed to get the reins before 1st Oct and then requested an extension for the specific reason of having a General Election and/or a second referendum - which are both specific events that can change the political nature of the UK, then I think the EU would allow an extension. The problem we have at the moment is that we'd be asking for an extension 'just because' and not for any quantifiable reason.

1st October has been and gone I’m afraid

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4553 on October 02, 2019, 06:47:09 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Well spotted. Give that man a coconut! ;)

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #4554 on October 02, 2019, 06:48:39 pm by Not Now Kato »
It is most unlikely that the EU will not agree to an extension as they won't want to be seen to be the ones responsible for forcing us into a No Deal situation - they won't want to be 'blamed'.

They may, however, impose certain conditions, (to be defined by them), on that extension which we would either have to agree to or be seen to be the ones forcing No Deal through.  And, whilst the latter would certainly cause great hardship to the majority of people in the UK it would make the Tories unelectable or some considerable time to come as they were the ones who forced No Deal through - which I suspect they wouldn't want to happen even if it made a few of their rich cronies even richer.

I think it's possible that an extension will be granted, followed by a vote of no confidence in the current government, followed by an interim government which would renegotiate part of the Withdrawal Agreement around remaining in either the Customs Union or the Single Market, (certainly the former, but possible even both).  This would satisfy the EU, solve the NI border problem and would be a way of taking us out of the parts of the EU we don't appear to like.

Just my opinion, and I'm certain that whilst it would satisfy a number of leavers it certainly wouldn't satisfy them all.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #4555 on October 02, 2019, 06:59:09 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I agree NNK and I think, given what has happened in the three years since the referendum it would take the wind out of the Farage sails for a generation at the very least.  Other than the fascists on the right of our politics I can't see anybody wanting a replay of that.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4556 on October 02, 2019, 07:54:35 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
An interim Govenment wouldn't negotiate anything, they wouldn't be around long enough for that. It'd be down to whoever was the Government after a General Election.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4557 on October 02, 2019, 08:34:17 pm by wilts rover »
Whilst there are not the numbers in Parliament to leave with No Deal there also are not the numbers in the opposition parties to negotiate a deal. The LD's and Change UK will never vote for deal.

I also think it would be touch and go for a 'unity' government to get a referendum through. The Tories & DUP will never vote for one so it would only need a small number of Labour leave MP's to abstain for that to fail.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4558 on October 02, 2019, 08:53:34 pm by SydneyRover »
''This cowardly speech reveals Boris Johnson’s armoury is empty''

''Boris Johnson’s speech to the Conservative party conference was of a piece with his brief and tawdry prime ministership so far. The speech was a scam, an attempt to pretend that inconvenient realities can be wished out of existence by putting on a crowd-pleasing act. Yet these inconvenient realities include such things as the law of the land, the elected parliament, the European Union and the island of Ireland. Between them, these realities have enough clout to foil him''

Martin Kettle tells it how it is.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/02/boris-johnsons-speech-of-coward-conservative-conference

Come all ye brexiters, tell us this is the way to the promised land

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4559 on October 03, 2019, 12:11:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Just spent 5 mins listening to Johnson going on about his NI border plans.

It's utter batshit. It's like the last 2 years never happened.

He's saying the UK including NI will leave the CU, but there'll be no need for any checks of stuff going across the border.

Name ANY border between two different regulatory authorities, anywhere in the world, where there are no checks.

Cut through the waffle and basically what he's saying is that we want a deal that the EU told us 2 years ago wasn't acceptable - the situation that led to the backstop.

We look like either idiots or charlatans to the rest of Europe.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012