Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 02:22:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit deal  (Read 373508 times)

Boomstick

• Forum Member
Re: Brexit deal
« Reply #90 on December 04, 2018, 03:46:12 pm by Boomstick »
No. I did.

The vast majority of economists predict a very severe and very long term economic hit.

Why don't you believe them?
I didn't say I didn't believe them .
It varies in severity depending which rag your reading.

The reality is that the economy won't grow as well as the e.u INITIALLY.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on December 04, 2018, 03:52:05 pm by RedJ »
Jacob Rees-Mogg said it'll take decades before we see benefit did he not? aye, f**kin get in!

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on December 04, 2018, 03:55:45 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I’m still waiting for somebody to answer this:

Between 1993 & 2014 62% of laws introduced in the UK were to implement EU obligations, whether the UK voted for them or not. Why is this a good thing?

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on December 04, 2018, 03:58:17 pm by Boomstick »
Jacob Rees-Mogg said it'll take decades before we see benefit did he not? aye, f**kin get in!
Aye he did, but your missing the point

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on December 04, 2018, 03:59:52 pm by Boomstick »

Between 1993 & 2014 62% of laws introduced in the UK were to implement EU obligations, whether the UK voted for them or not. Why is this a good thing?

It's terrible, and one of the main reasons I voted out. But tell this to a remainer, and all you will hear in reply is ...... ' but but but enonomy ! '

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on December 04, 2018, 04:01:43 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

We could have vetoed each and every one of them if we wanted to.

EDIT: PS https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN07092
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 04:11:42 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on December 04, 2018, 04:06:27 pm by Copps is Magic »

Well, you've got the question the wrong way round. Why is it a bad thing?

That's the way it goes. Surely the rationale behind a referendum is that there is something wrong (enough doubt) with the status quo - to warrant a vote about.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on December 04, 2018, 04:27:08 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

EDIT: PS https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN07092

You’ve missed an important bit though Glyn. The U.K. is able to veto some laws but for others it needs at least 3 allies to join its veto. If fewer than 4 countries oppose a law then its passed.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on December 04, 2018, 04:29:27 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

That's the way it goes. Surely the rationale behind a referendum is that there is something wrong (enough doubt) with the status quo - to warrant a vote about.

No, the question isn’t the wrong way around. I voted to leave because I disagree with the EU having political influence in the U.K. However, if anyone can share why this benefits the UK then I’m quite happy to change my mind on the matter.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on December 04, 2018, 04:34:29 pm by IDM »
Are all the eu laws bad, or are many beneficial?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on December 04, 2018, 04:45:26 pm by Copps is Magic »

No, the question isn’t the wrong way around. I voted to leave because I disagree with the EU having political influence in the U.K. However, if anyone can share why this benefits the UK then I’m quite happy to change my mind on the matter.

You're making a point about legal sovereignty, absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the content of whether those laws are good for society or not. Which is the question you think you're asking.

You are aware what will happen? Because of the complexity - we will just adopt EU laws wholesale and call them 'domestic' laws changing absolutely little (in fact nothing at first) to do with their content.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on December 04, 2018, 04:45:40 pm by RedJ »
Was it Davis or IDS who said that we haven't actually wanted to stop any of the EU rules being implemented but wanted to leave to stop them 'imposing' them because of the principle.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on December 04, 2018, 05:04:38 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

You’ve missed an important bit though Glyn. The U.K. is able to veto some laws but for others it needs at least 3 allies to join its veto. If fewer than 4 countries oppose a law then its passed.

That's not been the case for all those years though. Plus, Parliament could have at any time voted down anything put before them they didn't want to accept.

Any comment on the link I provided at all?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on December 04, 2018, 05:05:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
HA

The benefit is that we have unfettered access to the biggest and richest economic market in world history.

That's how things work. You choose ceding a certain amount of choice for the economic benefits.

And that's before you factor in what a right-wing Govt would do in this country if it was entirely free to make its own political decisions. On stuff like working conditions. Holiday pay. Maternity leave. Environmental regulations. Etc etc.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on December 04, 2018, 05:07:18 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Are all the eu laws bad, or are many beneficial?

Most of them are about harmonisation - ie standard regulations throughout the EU as a whole, to make trading more frictionless as everyone is using the same standards. Which is why the UK adopted them - it was advantageous to us when exporting to other EU countries.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on December 04, 2018, 05:08:02 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
IDS.

It was Davis.

And then there is the other issue which I've raised countless times and which  no Brexit supporter has ever addressed.

Why is it that the only two major world statesmen who support Hard Brexit are Putin and Trump? Do you think they have the best interests of the folk of Donny front and central in their minds?

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on December 04, 2018, 05:08:42 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

You're making a point about legal sovereignty, absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the content of whether those laws are good for society or not. Which is the question you think you're asking.

You are aware what will happen? Because of the complexity - we will just adopt EU laws wholesale and call them 'domestic' laws changing absolutely little (in fact nothing at first) to do with their content.

Ok, you’re right I am referring to sovereignty. However, the question still stands. According to Vote Watch, between 2009 and 2015 the U.K. was on the losing side of EU votes that had internal legal impacts on 12.3% of the votes. So, while we voted for the majority of laws it does mean that the U.K. does have to accept laws that our democraticly elected MEP’s voted against. Is it right that these laws are imposed on us?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on December 04, 2018, 05:14:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BS
I don't read reports in the papers about what economists say. Or at least I don't draw my conclusions from press articles. I tend to read their own reports and blogs. Very easy to find. I suggest you try it.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on December 04, 2018, 05:16:39 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
IDS.

It was Davis.

And then there is the other issue which I've raised countless times and which  no Brexit supporter has ever addressed.

Why is it that the only two major world statesmen who support Hard Brexit are Putin and Trump? Do you think they have the best interests of the folk of Donny front and central in their minds?

It seems that we all have unanswered and uncomfortable questions...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on December 04, 2018, 05:19:43 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Which ones of yours haven't been answered?

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on December 04, 2018, 06:12:09 pm by swintonrover »
I find this nonsense about the EU being undemocratic tragic.
You vote for an MEP (votes which have incredibly poor public turnout).
The MEP votes, the majority vote wins. Exactly the same as our domestic structure.

I live in a large Labour area. Nearly everything the Tories propose is bad for us. Unfortunately, my Labour MP doesn't have sole veto powers, as otherwise nothing would ever get done.

Fact is, we are a big name in the EU. We help run it. It's not Germany dictating everything like the Express would have you believe.

And I would like to see one example of an EU law that is actively bad for British citizens. You know, like them human rights. Labour Laws. Food quality controls. Maternity Leave.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 06:14:17 pm by swintonrover »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on December 04, 2018, 06:32:46 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Compared to our own government who have given us shit pensions, shit NHS, shit policing, shit transport and only care about London.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on December 04, 2018, 07:18:44 pm by drfchound »
If this forum is representative of the UK people as a whole then the vote on here suggests that a second referendum could be very popular.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on December 04, 2018, 07:21:33 pm by The Red Baron »
I think Parliament has just killed off Brexit and probably this Government as well.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on December 04, 2018, 07:22:41 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I find this nonsense about the EU being undemocratic tragic.
You vote for an MEP (votes which have incredibly poor public turnout).
The MEP votes, the majority vote wins. Exactly the same as our domestic structure.

I live in a large Labour area. Nearly everything the Tories propose is bad for us. Unfortunately, my Labour MP doesn't have sole veto powers, as otherwise nothing would ever get done.

Fact is, we are a big name in the EU. We help run it. It's not Germany dictating everything like the Express would have you believe.

And I would like to see one example of an EU law that is actively bad for British citizens. You know, like them human rights. Labour Laws. Food quality controls. Maternity Leave.

The Port Services Regulation of 2017 which has always been opposed by UK MEP’s, the UK Government and British Port Authorities but has still become a legislative requirement as the majority of other EU countries voted for it.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on December 04, 2018, 07:25:08 pm by Filo »
Is there a mechanism in this Country to impeach the PM?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on December 04, 2018, 07:26:34 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
HA

Yes. That's how compromise works.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on December 04, 2018, 07:43:18 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
HA

The benefit is that we have unfettered access to the biggest and richest economic market in world history.

That's how things work. You choose ceding a certain amount of choice for the economic benefits.

And that's before you factor in what a right-wing Govt would do in this country if it was entirely free to make its own political decisions. On stuff like working conditions. Holiday pay. Maternity leave. Environmental regulations. Etc etc.

Billy,
Sorry, I didn’t see this reply before I posted earlier.

No, this isn’t how things work, it’s how the EU had evolved into the beast that we have now. It has a huge amount of political control over member states and it’s ability to override its democratically elected governments and MEP’s. Just look at how the EU threatend sanctions against Italy if it didn’t amend its recent budget or how they’ve recently sued the Poland over its changes to its internal judiciary. These are all democratically elected governments who are being overuled by the EU! How can that be right?

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on December 04, 2018, 07:50:37 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Having just watched the debate, I have to say that Corbyn played a blinder.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on December 04, 2018, 08:01:15 pm by bedale rover »
HA

Billy,
Sorry, I didn’t see this reply before I posted earlier.

No, this isn’t how things work, it’s how the EU had evolved into the beast that we have now. It has a huge amount of political control over member states and it’s ability to override its democratically elected governments and MEP’s. Just look at how the EU threatend sanctions against Italy if it didn’t amend its recent budget or how they’ve recently sued the Poland over its changes to its internal judiciary. These are all democratically elected governments who are being overuled by the EU! How can that be right?

Because they are following the rules that ALL EU member states agreed to
The fact that new right wing Polish and Italian governments ignored their what previous governments had agreed to caused the problem not the EU

TinyPortal © 2005-2012