Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 02:52:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit deal  (Read 373514 times)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit deal
« Reply #420 on December 11, 2018, 01:25:08 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
more groundless claims from Brexit fans.
what evidence is there that he EU is a 'flawed' political union ?

I suspect the forthcoming treatment of France may well answer that - we will see!

The EU is nothing close to perfect and has many flaws.  Just because Brexit is not smooth it doesn't mean the EU is now perfect.

Interesting that the SNP may now call the no confidence vote - I suspect that's what Corbyn wants - lose (which they most likely will) it wasn't him, win he may well gain!

If Corbyn really wants a General Election, he won't want to waste a no confidence vote when he knows it'll fail because you can't call one every five minutes. He'd want to be sure the DUP are going to stab May in the back first.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #421 on December 11, 2018, 01:41:02 pm by Donnywolf »
.... and they forget the irony of The (then) Speaker Betty Boothroyd (who was Labout MP for West Brom - and had to give that up as she became Speaker) had to use her Casting Vote when a crucial part of the Maastricht Vote in 1993 was tied.

And you've forget I've already told you once she didn't use her casting vote in that way - it is the convention for ANY Speaker to cast a vote to pass something - whatever it is - to progress so that MPs aren't denied the opportunity to debate it and vote on it further. It's part of Parliamentary procedure.

EDIT: What's ironic, exactly?

I know you did - I remember my Vote in 75 as well as my first Rovers Game  - no senility here
I know what she did and the irony for me is they say The Speaker a Tory MP who had to resign to take up that post is accused of not being impartial ...... whereas .... however we flower it they got the support of a Labour Politician (Speaker) to keep their Vote / Debate / Procedural call it what you will "alive"
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-maastricht-debate-former-mp-firm-in-casting-vote-the-speaker-rare-intervention-keeps-boothroyd-1486494.html
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 01:55:21 pm by Donnywolf »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #422 on December 11, 2018, 02:44:35 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Boothroyd used the vote in the pursuit of impartiality! That's why it's Parliamentary procedure!

What do you think Bercow had to resign to take up the post?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 02:54:57 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #423 on December 11, 2018, 02:46:36 pm by Filo »
I feel a no confidence motion coming very soon, can we strand the Maybot over there without the plane fare home if that happens while she’s away, or will she be ATOL covered 😀

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #424 on December 11, 2018, 03:15:23 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I feel a no confidence motion coming very soon, can we strand the Maybot over there without the plane fare home if that happens while she’s away, or will she be ATOL covered 😀

Be careful what you wish for though the next leader could be far far worse.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #425 on December 11, 2018, 03:17:35 pm by Filo »

Thats your opinion, he’d have to be pretty bad to beat the present one

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #426 on December 11, 2018, 03:36:48 pm by RedJ »

BoJo the Clown would be much worse. Or Michael f**king Gove.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #427 on December 11, 2018, 03:43:36 pm by Filo »

BoJo the Clown would be much worse. Or Michael f**king Gove.

I’m thinking more of the opposition than Billy Smarts Circus

• VSC Member
« Reply #428 on December 11, 2018, 04:25:20 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

You are assuming it's a he.  I suspect you're thinking it will be Corbyn, you're 10x more likely to get a Rees Mogg etc - not what we need!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #429 on December 11, 2018, 04:31:29 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Corbyn's in a very "interesting" situation.

The DUP have said clearly that they will not side with Labour in a confidence vote against the Govt if May's deal is defeated. They imply that they WOULD vote against the Govt if May's deal passes.

That means Corbyn's best outcome is for the May deal to pass, THEN have a vote of no confidence, at which point the DUP may well help bring down the Govt.

That would be the end of May as PM, but not necessarily the end of the Tory Govt.

Presumably, the DUP would not support ANY Tory PM who tried to implement the NI backstop. But if Parliament had just voted FOR a deal with the backstop before the no confidence vote, then God alone knows what the constitutional position would be.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #430 on December 11, 2018, 04:49:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Fascinating seeing the key people in the EU all lining up to insist that there will be no change to the Withdrawal Agreement.

Juncker's said it.
Varadker has said it.
Tusk has said it.

Here's a prediction.

May comes back with some meaningless words about how the EU will take the UK Parliament's opinions into account when it comes to exiting the backstop, and there will be a big PR blitz from the PM's office saying, "Look how strong she is! They all said there would be no change of policy, but she'd battered them into accepting a change!"

Just watch it unroll this week...

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #431 on December 11, 2018, 04:57:09 pm by IDM »
“I have in my hand, a piece of paper”

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #432 on December 11, 2018, 04:59:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
You don't want to know the image that has just conjured up in my mind.

Let's just say that, given May's recent performances, I'm not sure she's competent to wipe her own arse.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #433 on December 11, 2018, 05:14:42 pm by GazLaz »
I’ve just backed Gove to be the next PM 12/1.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #434 on December 11, 2018, 05:28:01 pm by The Red Baron »
Fascinating seeing the key people in the EU all lining up to insist that there will be no change to the Withdrawal Agreement.

Juncker's said it.
Varadker has said it.
Tusk has said it.

Here's a prediction.

May comes back with some meaningless words about how the EU will take the UK Parliament's opinions into account when it comes to exiting the backstop, and there will be a big PR blitz from the PM's office saying, "Look how strong she is! They all said there would be no change of policy, but she'd battered them into accepting a change!"

Just watch it unroll this week...

Sounds like a very plausible scenario. Also she isn't planning to hold the vote until around 21st January. Which allows a month for horse-trading and arm-twisting. Also by the time of the vote we'll be two months away from Brexit Day, so expect lots of warnings about ticking clocks.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #435 on December 11, 2018, 05:29:07 pm by The Red Baron »

Someone has told me to lump on Gove. I'll have to hold my nose...

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #436 on December 11, 2018, 05:34:09 pm by GazLaz »

Someone has told me to lump on Gove. I'll have to hold my nose...

I’d rather they give it to Mark Weaver than him I think, but if they do... £££

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #437 on December 11, 2018, 05:38:16 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Christ Gaz.

His face is an even more gut-wrenching image than what I was thinking about before.

It'd be thoroughly depressing if Gove got it. He's another one who believes in nothing but his own career. As a colleague of his said recently, Gove's ongoing wrestling match with his conscience is the longest unbeaten run in sporting history. His smug comment on the eve of the vote along the lines of "Oh, I think the public is fed up with listening to the opinions of experts" is a line that will define the clusterf**k that he had a major part in taking us into.

But I don't think the Tory party will choose him. He'd be an electoral liability. In an era when Ed Milliband's career was destroyed because of him looking a bit weird, would the country really vote for someone who looks like he's permanently being buggered by a cactus - and he's enjoying it?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 06:06:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #438 on December 11, 2018, 05:41:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Another day, another public flogging of the PM.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeFreemanMP/status/1072540881494925318

This just does not happen in normal times. This is unprecedented in the past 80 years. You simply do not have MPs lining up to publicly humiliate their own PM.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #439 on December 11, 2018, 05:48:02 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
And this...this is enough to make me feel sorry even for May.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x5MUxcspCE

What a metaphor! Europe stood waiting while the PM's team can't work out how to open a car door.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #440 on December 11, 2018, 06:00:54 pm by wilts rover »
Rumours on t'internet that the 48 letters have been received - and ERG to publish the names of the MP's who have told them they sent one just to ensure they did!! I guess we shall see tomorrow.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #441 on December 11, 2018, 06:07:44 pm by Filo »
Rumours on t'internet that the 48 letters have been received - and ERG to publish the names of the MP's who have told them they sent one just to ensure they did!! I guess we shall see tomorrow.

Non of them trust each other, they’ve all got the knives out to back stab each other, the loonatics a truley taken over

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #442 on December 11, 2018, 06:16:45 pm by GazLaz »

That’s possibly why the pound slumped late on after rallying.

• VSC Member
« Reply #443 on December 11, 2018, 08:15:38 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Gove is actually the sensible option imo.  Yes he's a politician (newsflash they're all selfish) but actually quite a clever one.

I still maintain Corbyn doesn't want to be pm aswell.  He would bloody well struggle to do everything he's said he can do and he knows it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #444 on December 11, 2018, 08:16:14 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
He's a clever something.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #445 on December 11, 2018, 08:41:16 pm by GazLaz »
He’s a horrific little beast.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #446 on December 11, 2018, 08:53:10 pm by Filo »
He’s got a face that you’d never get tired of punching, the f**king horrible little weasle

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #447 on December 11, 2018, 08:59:31 pm by Donnywolf »
Fox is a weasel ! Grayling is a Weasel ! Even though ones a mammal and ones a fish

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #448 on December 11, 2018, 09:05:50 pm by IDM »
Is there anyone, on any side of the political coin, who we can trust to be PM at the moment.?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #449 on December 11, 2018, 09:20:15 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Is there anyone, on any side of the political coin, who we can trust to be PM at the moment.?

Starmer?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012