Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 12:49:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit deal  (Read 373484 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit deal
« Reply #1260 on January 23, 2019, 11:24:45 am by Donnywolf »
Liam Fox must be one of the most dangerous people to our country at the moment. Fuelling the hard-brexit nationalistic rhetoric on the one hand, and doing back door preliminary trade deals that will progressively and systematically erode any form of national democratic sovereignty. And he'll gladly take a no-deal brexit to get there.

If you want post-EU Britain that just acts as a fleeting staging post for global capital and large corporations, here's your man.

He is a weasel of the highest order - but did manage to only answer questions in the stock fashion and denied EVER saying something they had him recorded on Film saying

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #1261 on January 23, 2019, 11:39:37 am by Bentley Bullet »
ravenrover. When you said "what amazes me" I assumed you found it amazing.

Apologies if that's not the case.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1262 on January 23, 2019, 12:04:16 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Oh look.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/22/owen-paterson-trips-personal-thinktank-hard-brexit?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true

Another arch-Brexiteer who's paid a small fortune by companies who stand to gain from us leaving the EU.

Interestingly Patterson said during the campaign that it would be madness to leave the single market. See if you can guess what his stance is now?

The penny will drop eventually lads. You've been played. Good and proper.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #1263 on January 23, 2019, 01:39:05 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Are those advocating a hard brexit on board with a hard Irish border?

''No-deal Brexit would mean hard Irish border, EU confirms ''

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/22/no-deal-brexit-would-mean-hard-irish-border-eu-confirms

Anybody wondered whether the recent car bomb in Derry/Londonderry has any relation to the increasing talk of a no-deal Brexit..............

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1264 on January 23, 2019, 06:38:04 pm by wilts rover »
Interesting speech by Barnier today. He notes there is no point Mrs May even trying to reopen negotiations on the Irish backstop - but they would look favourably on a deal based on a permanent customs union as proposed by Labour.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how well will that have gone down in Downing Street!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/23/michel-barnier-warns-against-time-limited-irish-backstop

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1265 on January 23, 2019, 08:15:44 pm by drfchound »
Interesting speech by Barnier today. He notes there is no point Mrs May even trying to reopen negotiations on the Irish backstop - but they would look favourably on a deal based on a permanent customs union as proposed by Labour.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/23/michel-barnier-warns-against-time-limited-irish-backstop

Probably quite well if it helps May to get her deal approved.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1266 on January 23, 2019, 08:29:47 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

It was because of the backstop her deal got overwhelmingly voted down. So how is Barnier saying it's not up for negotiation going to overturn that?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1267 on January 23, 2019, 08:33:17 pm by drfchound »

It was because of the backstop her deal got overwhelmingly voted down. So how is Barnier saying it's not up for negotiation going to overturn that?

I was talking about the CU.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1268 on January 23, 2019, 08:42:35 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
But leaving the CU is a red line for May.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1269 on January 23, 2019, 08:44:51 pm by drfchound »
So she might have to change her mind on it.
It is beginning to look more likely that she will have to give way on some things.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1270 on January 23, 2019, 08:57:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
But that would bring her Govt down. Because the DUP want us out of the CU.

And that's before you factor in the fact that the majority of the Tory party are rabidly against the CU.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1271 on January 23, 2019, 09:06:18 pm by drfchound »
But that would bring her Govt down. Because the DUP want us out of the CU.

And that's before you factor in the fact that the majority of the Tory party are rabidly against the CU.
[/quote

And so it goes on, the road to nowhere.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1272 on January 23, 2019, 09:28:36 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Well aye. Just as I've been saying for two and a half years.

You can have the sort of Brexit that the nutter wing of the Tory party wants. But that hammers Ireland. And the EU has stood foursquare behind Ireland all along, saying that if that happens, the UK can f**k right off if it thinks it's getting a good trade deal.

Or you can have a Brexit that keeps us in the CU and hence eliminate the Irish border problem. Then the EU will give us a trade deal. But the Tory party has spent two years insisting that we have to be out of the CU.

What an utter clusterf**k.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1273 on January 23, 2019, 09:33:12 pm by drfchound »
......and to think that everyone thinks the PM has an easy job.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1274 on January 23, 2019, 10:23:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Not having that on this one Hound.

She brought this on herself through her own hubris and incompetence.

She CHOSE to make leaving the CU a non-negotiable issue in Jan 2017. She did that to satisfy her right wing nutters and keep them on her side initially.

The big plan then was to win a big majority in the GE in 2017, from where she would have had more leeway to compromise on some of these red lines (because she wouldn't have needed to keep the ERG sweet to get stuff through Parliament).

But she f**ked that up by a staggering inability to act like a functioning human being during the campaign. That was the worst GE campaign in history. No-one loses a majority after going into a campaign 12-15 points up.

From that point, she was boxed in. What she SHOULD have done was to reach out across the parties to see what compromise deals were possible. What she ACTUALLY did was to go hull down and act as though nothing had changed.

Beyond incompetent. She's lost 18 months at the most critical point in our history for nearly 80 years, by pursuing a strategy which anyone who looked at it knew would bring us to where we are now.

We've needed historic statesmen these past few years. What we've actually got are the worst pitical leaders in living memory.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #1275 on January 24, 2019, 10:36:26 am by Donnywolf »
We also needed people to cut the crap - end the tribalism - the points scoring - yes the Party Poiticking but again yesterday she could not stop "baiting" Corbyn saying he should have just come and talked

For his part he said (recently) that he would not attend talks while No Deal was still on the table - knowing she probably cant remove it. So he did not want to enter talks and threw up a barrier - and she breates him every time

They are both playing games as time runs out. As BST says this is the biggest of big deals I have every seen - and I cant believe they are playing at Tom and Jerry STILL with about 25 Pariamentary days left.
 I DO hope the electorate remember this s*** when the EU Membership has been resolved
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 10:38:32 am by Donnywolf »

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #1276 on January 24, 2019, 12:58:58 pm by turnbull for england »
I suppose this is project fear too  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46984229

he firm's chief executive, Tom Enders, said the firm "will have to make potentially very harmful decisions for the UK" in the event of no deal.

Mr Enders said it was a "disgrace" that businesses could still not plan for Brexit.

In all, Airbus employs 14,000 people in the UK.

That includes 6,000 jobs at its main wings factory at Broughton in Wales, as well as 3,000 at Filton, near Bristol, where wings are designed and supported.

Mr Enders said: "Please don't listen to the Brexiteers' madness which asserts that, because we have huge plants here, we will not move and we will always be here. They are wrong."

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1277 on January 24, 2019, 01:02:07 pm by drfchound »
I have been saying for weeks that MPs should throw the “points scoring” in the bin for the sake of the rest of us.

As we know, time is quickly running out but we are getting no further forward.

No deal will be a major disaster for the UK.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #1278 on January 24, 2019, 01:11:27 pm by The Red Baron »
I have been saying for weeks that MPs should throw the “points scoring” in the bin for the sake of the rest of us.

As we know, time is quickly running out but we are getting no further forward.

No deal will be a major disaster for the UK.

I agree. I think it's time MPs bit the bullet and voted for the deal that's on the table. There are aspects of it that are not good, but if it is voted in we get an 18-month transition that allows us to agree our future relationship with the EU.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1279 on January 24, 2019, 06:22:14 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
And yet another prominent Brexit-supporting MP pocketing eye-watering amounts from a Brexit-supporting business.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews.co.uk/news/politics/david-davis-paid-job-quit-brexit-secretary/amp/

£3000/hour?

I said last night that the penny would drop soon. At Davies's rates, you could drop a penny every 12milliseconds.

Ho

• Forum Member
« Reply #1280 on January 24, 2019, 08:02:43 pm by Ho »
And yet another prominent Brexit-supporting MP pocketing eye-watering amounts from a Brexit-supporting business.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews.co.uk/news/politics/david-davis-paid-job-quit-brexit-secretary/amp/

£3000/hour?

I said last night that the penny would drop soon. At Davies's rates, you could drop a penny every 12milliseconds.

...and another https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/24/jcb-paid-boris-johnson-10000-three-days-before-speech

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #1281 on January 24, 2019, 10:36:15 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think the business leaders quite rightly are giving the politicians a kick up the arse. We as voters are probably bewildered about the incompetence our leaders and Parliament thus far, but that is now turning to anger as the clock ticks.

There are two very damaging possible outcomes that I fear will tear us apart. 1. No deal. 2 A second referendum.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1282 on January 25, 2019, 08:48:19 am by drfchound »
I think the business leaders quite rightly are giving the politicians a kick up the arse. We as voters are probably bewildered about the incompetence our leaders and Parliament thus far, but that is now turning to anger as the clock ticks.

There are two very damaging possible outcomes that I fear will tear us apart. 1. No deal. 2 A second referendum.

.......and yet the biggest vote on this thread goes to a second referendum.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1283 on January 25, 2019, 10:55:18 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Dear God.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1088696249652572160

James f**king Delingpole. UK editor of Breitbart. THE most humiliatingly ignorant right wing gobshite in the country, humiliating himself in front of the country by being an ignorant right-wing gobshite.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1284 on January 25, 2019, 11:20:05 am by SydneyRover »

.......and yet the biggest vote on this thread goes to a second referendum.

In an area that voted 69% leave, have they changed their minds, is VSC not representative or a more enlightened group?

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 11:24:07 am by SydneyRover »

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1285 on January 25, 2019, 01:05:24 pm by Copps is Magic »
Dear God.

James f**king Delingpole. UK editor of Breitbart. THE most humiliatingly ignorant right wing gobshite in the country, humiliating himself in front of the country by being an ignorant right-wing gobshite.

Ahh the old 'Most Favoured Nation principle'. It's basic stuff that any undergraduate learns about when studying international trade. I wonder how many of those regurgitating this new 'leave on WTO rules' mantra really know the full implications of what they are saying. or the public.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1286 on January 25, 2019, 01:12:35 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Delingpole knows f**k all about anything. He just spouts bile about how much he hates lefties. But every time he has an exchange with a rational, intelligent person, he looks like the ignorant bell end he is.

Here he is making a 24carat prick of himself with the President of the Royal Society about climate denial.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xp20pc

What an utter f**kwit, "It's not my job to read the scientific literature. I haven't got the time or the expertise to do that. What I rely on is other people to do that and I interpret their interpretations."

Which is very odd then, because much more than 99% of scientific articles on the subject agree with the consensus that anthropogenic global warming is real. And that is regularly communicated by experts. But this Kitson ignores those communications and focuses on the tiny number that say it's not real.

And then he makes a total prick of himself when he is questioned by someone who knows the subject.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 01:21:29 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #1287 on January 25, 2019, 04:41:01 pm by IDM »
BST, I think you have just defined many politicians there..

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #1288 on January 25, 2019, 05:30:43 pm by tommy toes »
Dear God.

I watched that live last night. He typifies the no deal Brexiteer. He hasn't got a clue except to say it will be OK. No strategy to convince anyone it will be OK just blind faith.
When Neil asked him a complicated question to summarise he looked miffed and gave up.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1289 on January 25, 2019, 05:54:51 pm by ravenrover »
ravenrover. When you said "what amazes me" I assumed you found it amazing.

Apologies if that's not the case.
No problem, it'the number of times you see the "with EU money" that amazes me not the actual projects

TinyPortal © 2005-2012