Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 01:07:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit deal  (Read 373486 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit deal
« Reply #1800 on March 12, 2019, 01:30:23 pm by Filo »
Another no confidence motion anyone?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1801 on March 12, 2019, 01:47:07 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Just take a step back and try to imagine how this looks to the rest of the world.

Theresa may scuttling off round Europe for the past two months, achieving absolutely nothing because nothing could be achieved. Then expecting a different result.

We're the UK for f**ks sake. We used to have a reputation for common sense and pragmatism and knowing how to build alliances.

Look at us now.

Run by a parish council leader who somehow has got in out of her depth and is totally divorced from reality.

What a f**king embarrassment we have become.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1803 on March 12, 2019, 02:07:52 pm by Filo »
ERG set to abstain

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1804 on March 12, 2019, 02:31:46 pm by Filo »
From twitter

"Here is a turd."

"I don't want the turd."

"You f**king traitor. I went to a lot of trouble to get you the turd. Take it."

"I will not."

[later]

"I got you something."

"Is it a turd?"

"Yes, but I also have a piece of paper with the words 'THIS IS NOT A TURD' written on it.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #1805 on March 12, 2019, 03:30:58 pm by The Red Baron »
Can anyone tell me what the purpose of this "debate" in the HoC is? Surely every MP has decided by now how they are going to vote? Seems just an opportunity for MPs to spout endless hot air and posture. Get on with the vote, ffs!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1806 on March 12, 2019, 03:46:20 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I have the solution!!

Section 20 (4) (a) of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 says:

(4)A Minister of the Crown may by regulations—
(a)amend the definition of “exit day” in subsection (1) to ensure that the day and time specified in the definition are the day and time that the Treaties are to cease to apply to the United Kingdom

so all we have to do is have a Minister with the balls to change the leaving date for one fifty years in the future and for subsequent Ministers to do the same again when required.

That way, we'd be permanently leaving and permanently remaining. QED! :silly:

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #1807 on March 12, 2019, 05:12:14 pm by The Red Baron »
Latest rumour is that when May's Deal is voted down tonight she will announce she is to ask the EU for an extension to Article 50.

Personally I think that is just a tactic to put pressure on the Brexiteers but we'll see later.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1808 on March 12, 2019, 06:37:05 pm by Copps is Magic »
I'm watching parliament live. Backbench Tory MP just called May's deal a polished turd. In parliament.

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #1809 on March 12, 2019, 06:55:58 pm by auckleyflyer »
Our MP in Newquay/St Austell, Steve double. He's toast it's rampant Brexit here!!!

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1810 on March 12, 2019, 07:04:06 pm by Copps is Magic »
Our MP in Newquay/St Austell, Steve double. He's toast it's rampant Brexit here!!!

That's the one.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #1811 on March 12, 2019, 07:34:02 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Latest rumour is that when May's Deal is voted down tonight she will announce she is to ask the EU for an extension to Article 50.

Personally I think that is just a tactic to put pressure on the Brexiteers but we'll see later.

Won't that be on Thursday? Tomorrow is if we want to allow No Deal then it's whether we want to extend?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #1812 on March 12, 2019, 07:38:09 pm by The Red Baron »
May confirmed she is sticking to the Parliamentary timetable.

Now the deal has gone down I wonder if the EU decides to wash its hands of the UK and accept that we leave without a deal. Irrespective of how the Parliamentary vote on No Deal goes tomorrow.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1813 on March 12, 2019, 07:43:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
No TRB, they won't.

Because the EU isn't the evil dictatorship that many here paint it as.

What they SHOULD do is to say "We WILL give you an extension but only on the condition that you give us a clear plan on what you plan to do with it."

The obvious thing being a second referendum. And if that destroys the Tory party and the Labour party, so be it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1814 on March 12, 2019, 07:45:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
By the way, it is utterly beyond belief that May is giving the Tory party a free vote tomorrow.

Think what that means.

The biggest crisis since WWII and the Govt doesn't have a stance on it.

This has never happened in history. It is Government totally and unequivocally losing control.

As I keep saying...chuckling over vodka in the Kremlin tonight.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1815 on March 12, 2019, 07:56:52 pm by wilts rover »
Teresa May has been saying for 2 years that No Deal is better than a Bad Deal - and for the past 6 months that if parliament doesn't pass her deal then we will leave on 29th March with No Deal.

So which way will she vote tomorrow?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1816 on March 12, 2019, 07:57:43 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
By the way, it is utterly beyond belief that May is giving the Tory party a free vote tomorrow.

Think what that means.

The biggest crisis since WWII and the Govt doesn't have a stance on it.

This has never happened in history. It is Government totally and unequivocally losing control.

As I keep saying...chuckling over vodka in the Kremlin tonight.

It's all too believable. It's another variant of kicking the can down the road because she can't been seen to support one side or the other. If she whips her party - in either way, for or against - the other half of the party will rebel against the whip. And everybody will know it. And some more of whatever little credibility she still has sails off into the sunset.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1817 on March 12, 2019, 07:58:26 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Teresa May has been saying for 2 years that No Deal is better than a Bad Deal - and for the past 6 months that if parliament doesn't pass her deal then we will leave on 29th March with No Deal.

She hasn't said that since this deal was agreed with the EU. I wonder why not... :lol:

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #1818 on March 12, 2019, 08:02:20 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Waiting for the eu to say no extension?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #1819 on March 12, 2019, 08:05:25 pm by The Red Baron »
No TRB, they won't.

Because the EU isn't the evil dictatorship that many here paint it as.

What they SHOULD do is to say "We WILL give you an extension but only on the condition that you give us a clear plan on what you plan to do with it."

The obvious thing being a second referendum. And if that destroys the Tory party and the Labour party, so be it.

I think that would be a reasonable approach by the EU and is probably the one it will take. But it won't be a short extension because the most likely moves to break the impasse - a General Election or a Referendum - will take time to organise.

Personally I think the Brexiteers were stupid not to back May's Deal. Not because it is particularly good but because it does (eventually) take us out of the EU. What we end up with now is likely to be a Softer Brexit (Norway-plus) or Remain.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 08:16:55 pm by The Red Baron »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #1820 on March 12, 2019, 08:27:53 pm by DonnyOsmond »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1821 on March 12, 2019, 08:38:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
TRB

As I keep repeating, it's not about Brexit for the ERG. It's about the future soul of the Tory party.

Accept that and everything they do makes sense.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1822 on March 12, 2019, 08:41:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
As I was saying.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbc5live/status/1105559662018134017?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1105559662018134017&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Flive%2Fuk-politics-parliaments-47529293

Brexiters. MPs like this are treating you like imbeciles.

It's too late for any further negotiation. He's not announcing this out of consideration for the good of the country. He's announcing it because it bolsters his cred with the Europhobic Little Englanders who make up the Tory party membership, and many of their voters.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #1823 on March 12, 2019, 09:01:58 pm by The Red Baron »
TRB

As I keep repeating, it's not about Brexit for the ERG. It's about the future soul of the Tory party.

Accept that and everything they do makes sense.

Actually Robert Peston supports my original point.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/03/were-now-heading-for-a-no-deal-brexit-but-not-just-yet/

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1824 on March 12, 2019, 10:00:44 pm by Copps is Magic »
The problem is that view seriously underplays the other side of the relationship. There are certain countries (Ireland, the Netherlands, Lithuania to name the obvious ones) who need quite substantially a good working relationship with the UK going forward (on many issues). Not to mention the 1.3 million of us living in the EU, the majority of which taxpaying citizens in EU countries (who are still in limbo).

The EU commission has consistently said a 'no-deal' brexit is damaging to the EU. Their press-releases read like they are preparing for nuclear war. Why would they want this for EU citizens? They don't. It's a very simplistic shrug of the hands gesture that Peston makes in that article as if the EU is a black-box, it isn't.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1825 on March 12, 2019, 10:17:18 pm by Filo »
Caroline Flint voted with the Government tonight

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #1826 on March 12, 2019, 11:01:34 pm by albie »
No surprise from Flint that.
Only Labour new recruit tonight.

The problem is "no deal" remains the default.
Even when the HoC votes it out tomorrow, that does not bind the EU.

They are only going to extend if there is a new proposal to discuss.
So it is either Norway+, or a coming general election or Ref2.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/12/theresa-may-mps-crisis-deal-delay-brexit

1) No numbers for Ref2, at present.
2) Toxic Treeza steps down and a new leader takes over and seeks a GE mandate?
3) Or we drift on to the end of March and crash out without a deal?

Lets see if Norway+ comes out of the fog, eh!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1827 on March 13, 2019, 06:35:25 am by Filo »
No surprise from Flint that.
Only Labour new recruit tonight.

The problem is "no deal" remains the default.
Even when the HoC votes it out tomorrow, that does not bind the EU.

They are only going to extend if there is a new proposal to discuss.
So it is either Norway+, or a coming general election or Ref2.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/12/theresa-may-mps-crisis-deal-delay-brexit

1) No numbers for Ref2, at present.
2) Toxic Treeza steps down and a new leader takes over and seeks a GE mandate?
3) Or we drift on to the end of March and crash out without a deal?

Lets see if Norway+ comes out of the fog, eh!

We’ve only got to this point because she has run the clock down, a massive dereliction of duty

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #1828 on March 13, 2019, 07:38:17 am by Donnywolf »
Caroline Flint voted with the Government tonight

.... and I hope the Monster Raving Loony Party put up a Candidate fo the next GE - becasue I have voted in every one in my lifetime - and I want someone to vote for instead of her

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #1829 on March 13, 2019, 07:44:31 am by Donnywolf »

Knowing her she will table an amendment saying " you can vote for No Deal or avoid it completely by voting for My Deal - as it delivers on the Will of the British people - it helps us to leave the EU on the 29th March 2019 a- nd it was produced as a result of having my strong and stable Government"

Only joking of course !

TinyPortal © 2005-2012