Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 08:19:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit deal  (Read 373459 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit deal
« Reply #1950 on March 18, 2019, 04:20:52 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
The intriguing thing was the delay motion was passed pending further action - if the speaker now doesn't allow that action does that motion apply?  Messy!

Interesting on Glyn's point - surely he's just said you can't bring the same thing twice so Corbyn's hands are tied?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1951 on March 18, 2019, 04:21:40 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
The intriguing thing was the delay motion was passed pending further action - if the speaker now doesn't allow that action does that motion apply?  Messy!

Interesting on Glyn's point - surely he's just said you can't bring the same thing twice so Corbyn's hands are tied?

Corbyn's hands are tied about what?

EDIT If you're talking about a Vote Of Confidence, no it's not the same - the WA is legislation as part of the EU Withdrawal Act. A Vote Of Confidence isn't legislation, it's a censure motion and can be held at any time.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 04:27:43 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

• VSC Member
« Reply #1952 on March 18, 2019, 04:31:59 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Corbyn's hands are tied about what?

EDIT If you're talking about a Vote Of Confidence, no it's not the same - the WA is legislation as part of the EU Withdrawal Act. A Vote Of Confidence isn't legislation, it's a censure motion and can be held at any time.

An interesting inconsistency wouldn't you say?  Just think that is bizarre.

The bizarre part of this, May cannot under this try to move the same deal yet the EU say they don't want to change the deal and aren't keen on an extension without something concrete.....

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #1953 on March 18, 2019, 04:42:12 pm by wing commander »
   The EU are sitting pretty now..With all member states having to agree I cant see them going for anything other than a nice long delay,forcing us to stand in the eu elections and tieing us down to a second referendum..Right now we cant give them a reason as they have requested ,to say how a short delay will resolve this..
   They hold a full house while we are holding a pair of deuces..

• VSC Member
« Reply #1954 on March 18, 2019, 04:45:20 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
   The EU are sitting pretty now..With all member states having to agree I cant see them going for anything other than a nice long delay,forcing us to stand in the eu elections and tieing us down to a second referendum..Right now we cant give them a reason as they have requested ,to say how a short delay will resolve this..

And in the meantime 17.4m people who voted to leave are thinking what?

I'm not a Corbyn fan but I'm tending to think a general election may well be the best thing....

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #1955 on March 18, 2019, 04:57:39 pm by i_ateallthepies »
It'll only return the tories.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1956 on March 18, 2019, 05:13:21 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

And in the meantime 17.4m people who voted to leave are thinking what?

I'm not a Corbyn fan but I'm tending to think a general election may well be the best thing....

Probably thinking 'But we were told when we voted that we held all the cards but now you're telling us we've only got a pair of twos?'

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1957 on March 18, 2019, 05:15:02 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
We will leave with Mays deal on  29th. Watch the news

Ahem. You were saying?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1958 on March 18, 2019, 05:37:24 pm by Filo »
Imagine being a Tory today and being told to follow the rules, the cincept must be alien to them 😀

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #1959 on March 18, 2019, 06:14:32 pm by Donnywolf »

.... and maybe worse

France - we want to access your fishing grounds
Spain   - we want Gibraltar
Germany - we want you to admit that Ball was  not over the line in 66
Greece - we want the Elgin Marbles back
ROI - we want Northern Ireland

any more ?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #1960 on March 18, 2019, 06:35:52 pm by MachoMadness »

.... and maybe worse

any more ?

I'd imagine they'll start with "we want you to tell us what the f**ks going on".

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1961 on March 18, 2019, 06:43:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
WingCo

Accepted that Wrexham has historically been a Labour seat, but circumstances change. The fact is that it's currently a marginal. Labour's majority has reduced for the past 5 elections in a row and it's now in the 20 top Tory target Labour seats.

The specific point is that it's clearly not in Lucas's personal interests to vote against Brexit. The wider point is that accusing MPs of acting selfishly is frequently wrong. Some do. Most don't.

If I appear to twist facts to make a point, please point it out to me. I try very hard not to do so because these issues are too important to do that. The aim of all of us should be to start with facts and draw conclusions from them, not the other way round.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1962 on March 18, 2019, 06:45:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Who'd have thought it? This Govt being so incompetent as to not even check what is allowable in Parliament before acting.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1963 on March 18, 2019, 07:14:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
By the way WingCo.

If you think that an MP, brusquely (and, yeah, I'll agree, unpleasantly) pointing out a fact about our Constitution) is shocking, I assume you are apoplectic about the MPs who said these things during the referendum campaign about the Single Market, and now insist that the Will of The People is that we leave the Single Market.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D0xGt3QmRSZY&ved=2ahUKEwjuzen2r4zhAhXfWxUIHZ3wCMUQwqsBMAN6BAgKEA4&usg=AOvVaw0v2iTLsDSrd_kHuzccm72b&cshid=1552936203640

Me, I think it's an affront to the entire democratic process. And I'd say the same thing regardless of what party politicians belonged to if they mislead voters to that extent.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #1964 on March 18, 2019, 07:57:35 pm by DonnyOsmond »
This is better than Coronation Street. I'm hoping there's a GE coming up and the Independent Party and Lib Dems make gains. Then Conservatives struggle again to gain a majority.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #1965 on March 18, 2019, 07:59:41 pm by Boomstick »

.... and maybe worse

any more ?

I'd imagine they'll start with "we want you to tell us what the f**ks going on".

Which is why it would be better to leave without a deal.

No matter though, Italy and Hungary will veto any extension and save our skin.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #1966 on March 18, 2019, 08:05:34 pm by DonnyOsmond »

.... and maybe worse

any more ?

So all the people who live in Gibraltar and work in Spain, what about them? What about all the British citizens living in the EU? What about all the EU citizens living in the UK? No deal means all of those lives are messed up.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1967 on March 18, 2019, 08:09:07 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

.... and maybe worse

any more ?

If that happens (and I won't) I guarantee you that the next day, Parliament will vote to revoke A50.

But you carry on with your ridiculous Brexiters fantasies.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1968 on March 18, 2019, 08:20:26 pm by wilts rover »

.... and maybe worse

any more ?

Did you miss the 5 letter bombs last week? Or did you just think they were a joke?

When the next mainland bombing campaign starts up and someone asks you who started it don't forget to say 'I did'.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #1969 on March 18, 2019, 08:27:18 pm by Boomstick »

.... and maybe worse

any more ?

If that happens (and I won't) I guarantee you that the next day, Parliament will vote to revoke A50.

But you carry on with your ridiculous Brexiters fantasies.

Wow, you think parliament will rovoke article 50?
They've just very very narrowly voted against leaving without a deal.

My god, your deluded if you think that would ever happen. Hilarious.
Just pause and think about the ramifications of revoking article 50.

Your living in cloud cookoo land.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #1970 on March 18, 2019, 08:29:18 pm by Boomstick »

.... and maybe worse

any more ?

Did you miss the 5 letter bombs last week? Or did you just think they were a joke?

When the next mainland bombing campaign starts up and someone asks you who started it don't forget to say 'I did'.

You've lost me there.......

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1971 on March 18, 2019, 09:08:08 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BS

The vote to rule out No Deal in all circumstances was passed by a majority of 43.

I'm telling you. If Farage and his bunch of treasonous bas**rds (scuttling round Europe cooking up plans with others who are paid for by Putin) DID manage to convince the neo-fascists in La Lega and Fidesz to veto an extension of A50, Parliament would immediately revoke A50. For the simple reason that if they didn't, in two weeks time, we'd have the biggest economic crisis since the 1930s on our hands.

But it won't come to that because Farage, for all his bluster, is a busted flush.

He might want to help his ally, Putin in putting us back to the days of the Jarrow Marchers, but he can't even organise that sort of event.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1107740598453325829

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1972 on March 18, 2019, 09:11:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Of course, if Farage DID manage to conspire with foreign Govts to act in a way that is prejudicial to the expressed intention of our sovereign body, he would be guilty of treason. For the second time. The first one being when his organisation accepted £8m from the Kremlin to spew out filth and lies during the 2016 campaign.

Fascinating that the people who are SO concerned with us taking back control from a foreign power don't seem to give two shits about that. It's almost as if all they are interested in is winning at all costs.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #1973 on March 18, 2019, 09:19:45 pm by The Red Baron »
I have a feeling that next week the EU (which doesn't show any signs of a breaking of collective ranks) will say that the UK can have an extension of up to 2 years. But we will be required to hold a General Election and / or a Referendum.

Given there's no consensus in Parliament for another Referendum, I now think a General Election is quite likely.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1974 on March 18, 2019, 09:30:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
TRB

The EU cannot require us to do any such thing.

What they can and absolutely SHOULD do is require our Govt to have a clear strategy for what it is going to do with the delay, so that we don't end up in the same shit show in 1, 3, 6, 12 or 24 months time.

If the Govt decides that it can't do that without a Ref2 or a GE, that is entirely the Govt's choice.

Equally, the Govt could choose to rescind A50. What it can't do is to decide to crash out with No Deal, because Parliament has instructed it not to do so in any circumstances.

Be clear about this, because the nutter Right will start the lies very soon. Whatever we do after May goes to Brussels will be OUR decision. WE have brought this f**king mess on ourselves. None of it is the fault of the EU.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #1975 on March 18, 2019, 09:47:34 pm by The Red Baron »
The EU may not make an explicit demand, but I expect they will want to know from May what ideas she has for breaking the log jam. Now her preferred strategy of trying to slowly grind down opposition to her deal has failed.

A General Election, especially if it were to be held with the Tories having chosen a new leader might just shift the numbers enough to get the original (May) deal through. Or whoever becomes PM might want to propose a different approach. The next PM might favour another referendum and might have the numbers to do it.

Or May could grab the spirit of the proposed Kyle / Wilson amendment (which won't happen now that MV3 won't happen) and propose a Referendum of her dead vs. Remain.

Either option seems more likely to produce a solution than trying to get a consensus on anything from this Parliament.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1976 on March 18, 2019, 10:06:14 pm by Muttley »

Or May could grab the spirit of the proposed Kyle / Wilson amendment (which won't happen now that MV3 won't happen) and propose a Referendum of her dead vs. Remain.

Now there's something I could vote for!

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1977 on March 19, 2019, 12:46:40 am by Copps is Magic »

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #1978 on March 19, 2019, 08:25:56 am by The Red Baron »

Some typos are better than others! LOL!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #1979 on March 19, 2019, 08:28:54 am by RedJ »

That WOULD be a divisive referendum...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012