Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 01:23:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit deal  (Read 373494 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit deal
« Reply #2460 on March 27, 2019, 08:54:27 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Not enough to pass it though by looks of it....

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2461 on March 27, 2019, 09:15:01 pm by wilts rover »
So May is saying she'll quit after her deal is voted through. Yet another layer of Brexit surreality because in essence what she means is "I'm a failure. And because you also know I'm a failure you want me to go, so vote for my failed deal and I'll go. However, if I fail yet again and you don't vote my failed deal through, I'm staying!!"

Falling on her sword at the alter of the Grand Wizards 😀

There are now some saying that she's only done this because she knows Bercow won't let her put her deal before Parliament again so there's no danger of her having to go!

The woman who said:

she won't hold an election
we will be leaving the EU on 29th March 2019 with or without a deal
her deal is the only deal and there is no renegotiating it
the Meaningful Vote would be held in December

is there really anyone left in the country who doesn't treat any statement she makes with a lorry load of scepticism?

Brilliant from Ian Dunt - The Nazi-Soviet Pact of Brexit Betrayal!

https://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2019/03/27/the-obscene-moral-spectacle-of-theresa-may-s-resignation
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 09:20:02 pm by wilts rover »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #2462 on March 27, 2019, 09:21:41 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Just watching the Commons live - Peter Bone is stood in front of the Despatch Desk - is he wearing trainers?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2463 on March 27, 2019, 09:24:02 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
https://mobile.twitter.com/skydavidblevins/status/1111006315973890049

Well that's May's deal finally killed off.

I suppose that means we're stuck with her now. Every silver lining has a cloud.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2464 on March 27, 2019, 09:27:32 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
And the most unprincipled Kitson in politics shows clearly, once again, what an unprincipled, self-serving Kitson he is.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1110973254854983681

The moment May said she'd step down if her deal  passed, that bas**rd saw the keys to No10 and agreed to support the deal

It's rare I thank the DUP for anything, but if they've stopped him becoming PM then halle-f**king-luiah.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2465 on March 27, 2019, 09:32:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Genius.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DuncanWeldon/status/1111008567660822529

Christ up above, can this get any more humiliating for the country?

That Black Mirror episode where the PM had to f**k a pig is looking like a mild diversion at the side of this.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2466 on March 27, 2019, 09:43:13 pm by SydneyRover »
 5,900,820 signatures

If you look at the map it shows the lowest participation rates in the ex-industrial areas of the UK which are now amongst the poorest, and according to recent reports those hit hardest by Austerity. It's almost as though it is some sort of defiant self harm.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #2467 on March 27, 2019, 09:47:27 pm by Copps is Magic »
It's now all but confirmed Maybot's deal is dead. The grown up thing to do is to ask the EU for a lengthy extension and build upon the indicative votes currently being held.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #2468 on March 27, 2019, 09:48:55 pm by Bentley Bullet »
5,900,820 signatures

If you look at the map it shows the lowest participation rates in the ex-industrial areas of the UK which are now amongst the poorest, and according to recent reports those hit hardest by Austerity. It's almost as though it is some sort of defiant self harm.

Maybe their defiance is down to them thinking they have nothing to lose and everything to gain?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #2469 on March 27, 2019, 09:54:46 pm by Copps is Magic »
5,900,820 signatures

The map is staggeringly stark. It's even more specific than 'ex-industrial' areas when you really look at it in detail. It fact, you can almost pinpoint five areas where there is clearly very little support for remaining; the black country, the Welsh valleys, Teeside, South Yorkshire and parts of Lincolnshire, and certain towns in Lancashire (Oldham, Bolton, Blackburn, Burnley).

It's points to some very deep issues/divides going on in such places way way beyond brexit and the EU. Divides that are still not being addressed.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #2470 on March 27, 2019, 09:55:41 pm by Copps is Magic »
5,900,820 signatures

Maybe their defiance is down to them thinking they have nothing to lose and everything to gain?

Do you think a Tory government with more executive powers is going to be a benefit to these areas?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #2471 on March 27, 2019, 09:58:51 pm by Bentley Bullet »
What does it matter what I think?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #2472 on March 27, 2019, 09:59:08 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
But mirrors quite similarly to the actual referendum doesn't it?  The remain camp constantly tell you that the whole country is ready to back remain, but these statistics arguably (and there is some debate on such a high level theory) state that in a lot of areas it is not the case.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2473 on March 27, 2019, 10:03:03 pm by The Red Baron »
What a surprise.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1111022108233084928?p=v

I'm no fan of Juncker but he has a point when he compares Britain to a Sphinx. Perhaps he should have said "British MPs." I'd love to go to the Commons and in the manner of Alan Sugar tell them they're fired. They have failed their voters.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2474 on March 27, 2019, 10:08:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
But mirrors quite similarly to the actual referendum doesn't it?  The remain camp constantly tell you that the whole country is ready to back remain, but these statistics arguably (and there is some debate on such a high level theory) state that in a lot of areas it is not the case.

BFYP

No. The "Remain Camp" don't say anything if the sort.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #2475 on March 27, 2019, 10:10:53 pm by RoversAlias »
They're embarrassing in that House of Commons. Hardly any of them seem to give a single shit about any of us.

I feel like it'll be No Deal now and I really don't think that's a good thing at all.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #2476 on March 27, 2019, 10:16:39 pm by DonnyOsmond »
They're embarrassing in that House of Commons. Hardly any of them seem to give a single shit about any of us.

I feel like it'll be No Deal now and I really don't think that's a good thing at all.

No deal has been destroyed on two votes in a week. Shocking if it still happens.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2477 on March 27, 2019, 10:21:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
You need to be a bit calmer RA.

This was never going to be sorted tonight. The process of indicative votes was about getting a feel for what might be possible.

Key take homes?

1) Massive majority against No Deal.

2) Lot of support (not quite a majority) for a permanent Customs Union, which is the key point. If we don't have a CU, we f**k all over Ireland and the EU will tell us to b*llocks if we then ask for a helpful trade deal with them.

3) Surprisingly high vote for Ref2.

Put those together and think of the discussions that will now be going on in Westminster.

Those who voted against No Deal but also against a CU will be from the centre of the Tory party. They are the key ones who are now on the spot.

There'll be frank talks going on with them. If they REALLY don't want No Deal, they HAVE to come to an agreement that allows us to stay in the CU.

But they don't want to do that because it would rip the Tory party apart. And they would be blamed for that.

Which then, finally, starts to make Ref2 look like an honourable way out for them.

This is very grown up politics. We're just not used to it in this country - we're used to parties whipping MPs through the lobbies. THIS is how politics should be.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:24:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2478 on March 27, 2019, 10:29:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
What you will get for the next 24 hours is the hard-line Brexiters insulting your intelligence and patronising you by insisting that this has all been a shambles, and we should press on with No Deal. Despite that being massively rejected again tonight.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #2479 on March 27, 2019, 10:32:44 pm by Copps is Magic »

That's hyperbolic.

The opinion polls show a minor, but not significant enough, shift towards support for remain. It doesn't show the 'whole' country is ready to back remain and I've never heard anyone saying anything like that.

The very real issue is why within even that small shift in opinion very very distinct areas of the country (including our own) are still  so disengaged from the issue.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2480 on March 27, 2019, 10:46:32 pm by SydneyRover »
5,900,820 signatures

Do you think a Tory government with more executive powers is going to be a benefit to these areas?
I think it shows any future government where they need to spend time if they ever want to have a country where everyone feels included.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2481 on March 27, 2019, 10:46:36 pm by bpoolrover »
The thing is thou bst do you think any of the ones who didn’t put second referendum down today will on another day or is 260odd the maximum they will get and the same goes for the custom union as labour were told to support that?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #2482 on March 27, 2019, 11:01:06 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
The thing is thou bst do you think any of the ones who didn’t put second referendum down today will on another day or is 260odd the maximum they will get and the same goes for the custom union as labour were told to support that?

Some of the 100 or so MPs who didn't vote tonight could just as easily vote one way or the other without anyone changing their mind.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2483 on March 27, 2019, 11:04:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Bpool

Dunno. Funny things happen when folk end up staring down the barrel.

Glyn. I was just thinking the same. It's very odd that 100 or so MPs don't seem to have any opinion on these questions. I guess their votes are the key ones when push comes to cliff edge.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2484 on March 27, 2019, 11:09:43 pm by Filo »
It’s a disgrace that 100 mp’s abstained the whole f**king HoC is a disgrace, we’re an international embarresment, everyone of them should hang their heads in shame

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #2485 on March 27, 2019, 11:10:22 pm by Not Now Kato »
So May is saying she'll quit after her deal is voted through. Yet another layer of Brexit surreality because in essence what she means is "I'm a failure. And because you also know I'm a failure you want me to go, so vote for my failed deal and I'll go. However, if I fail yet again and you don't vote my failed deal through, I'm staying!!"

Oh it's much worse than the Glyn.  What May is saying is 'you voted against my deal because it's shit and it's bad for the country, but you should forget the country, the only thing that's important is the Conservative Party,  vote for my deal, I'll resign and the party will remain intact'.

The sad thing is, many will do this; to them the party is more important than the country.  Integrity means nothing to these people.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2486 on March 27, 2019, 11:18:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
NNK.

Aye. But they miscalculated on that.

Now they have to choose between a CU that will definitely split the Tory party, and a Ref2 that will split the country even worse than it already is.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2487 on March 27, 2019, 11:24:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Just checked on the BBC site telling you which way MPs voted. It was mainly Govt ministers who abstained...

Caroline Flint, by the way, only voted for one approach - the Labour proposal.

Bizarrely, having voted for May's deal which essentially meant us staying in the CU, she abstained on the indicative vote saying we should stay in the CU.

Odd character...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 11:27:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2488 on March 27, 2019, 11:40:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
By the way, that serial f**king idiot Dennis Skinner, voted for No Deal tonight.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #2489 on March 28, 2019, 08:32:38 am by GazLaz »
5,900,820 signatures

Areas where, on average, the less intelligent live.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012