Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 01:39:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit deal  (Read 373500 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit deal
« Reply #3960 on August 13, 2019, 12:17:44 pm by Donnywolf »
Cheers bjw - Its a rant I have wanted to make myself for over a year

The whole thing sucks and where is the architect of the mess Mr David Cameron - oh yes probably looking at what he calls (with a smirk) his Wifes field somewhere near Scunthorpe *

* Normanby Park to give the field its more accurate description

This is as Bjw s post encapsulates the problem with all the career politicians - not to be trusted ANY of them no matter what colour of politics they "preach"

If we evntually DO leave the EU I would expect in less time than it took to get us out from the 75 vote there will be a mass movement to rejoin. I just hope the devious b******s dont if it comes to a Referndum in 15 years or so put a sensible target & say it has to be won by with at least 60% of those voting saying yes or of course no to effect a change
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 01:16:17 pm by Donnywolf »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3961 on August 13, 2019, 12:35:35 pm by SydneyRover »
Go for it DW it's good to hear from someone that knows what he wants and where a lot of the blame lies for this f#ckfest.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3962 on August 13, 2019, 12:51:05 pm by bpoolrover »
Don't worry there will be food on the shelves, it will just cost more that's all.

''Walk into any British supermarket and you will be surrounded by European products, from Italian cheeses to French wines. Around 30% of all food consumed in the UK is imported from the EU, but for some foods, such as spinach and olives, the EU is practically the UK’s sole supplier.

With Boris Johnson claiming he will take Britain out of the EU by 31 October “do or die”, the UK’s reliance on EU food is a major risk. In the event of a no-deal Brexit, the UK would be obliged under World Trade Organization rules to impose average food import tariffs of 22% and conduct product inspections, leading to delays and shortening the shelf-life of products.

Despite Brexiters’ assurances of tariffless trade, a House of Lords inquiry concluded: “… in either a ‘deal’ or ‘no-deal’ scenario, Brexit will result in some additional border checks and documentation requirements for food imported from the EU to the UK. These will increase the time it takes for food to reach shop shelves and result in additional costs.”

In 2016 more than £30.3bn of Britain’s food imports and £12.3bn of its food exports were with the EU, totalling almost £1,300 of trade every second and highlighting the scale of economic disruption on both sides if the UK crashes out without a deal''

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2019/aug/13/how-a-no-deal-brexit-threatens-your-weekly-food-shop
Don't worry there will be food on the shelves, it will just cost more that's all.

''Walk into any British supermarket and you will be surrounded by European products, from Italian cheeses to French wines. Around 30% of all food consumed in the UK is imported from the EU, but for some foods, such as spinach and olives, the EU is practically the UK’s sole supplier.

With Boris Johnson claiming he will take Britain out of the EU by 31 October “do or die”, the UK’s reliance on EU food is a major risk. In the event of a no-deal Brexit, the UK would be obliged under World Trade Organization rules to impose average food import tariffs of 22% and conduct product inspections, leading to delays and shortening the shelf-life of products.

Despite Brexiters’ assurances of tariffless trade, a House of Lords inquiry concluded: “… in either a ‘deal’ or ‘no-deal’ scenario, Brexit will result in some additional border checks and documentation requirements for food imported from the EU to the UK. These will increase the time it takes for food to reach shop shelves and result in additional costs.”

In 2016 more than £30.3bn of Britain’s food imports and £12.3bn of its food exports were with the EU, totalling almost £1,300 of trade every second and highlighting the scale of economic disruption on both sides if the UK crashes out without a deal''

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2019/aug/13/how-a-no-deal-brexit-threatens-your-weekly-food-shop

could eat British food that would make it abit cheaper

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3963 on August 13, 2019, 01:03:44 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Yeah but, yeah but...yeah but...

We took back control.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3964 on August 13, 2019, 01:10:27 pm by SydneyRover »
Sure, as long as you are aware that 50% of what is eaten in the UK is imported BP, and knowing how competition works local traders will be all too ready to put up the prices of local food as well.

National Statistics
Food Statistics in your pocket 2017 - Global and UK supply, Updated 9 October 2018

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/food-statistics-pocketbook-2017/food-statistics-in-your-pocket-2017-global-and-uk-supply

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3965 on August 13, 2019, 01:15:35 pm by bpoolrover »
That would be easy to change thou more people including myself should buy more British products

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3966 on August 13, 2019, 01:18:24 pm by SydneyRover »
If it makes sense to you BP.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3967 on August 13, 2019, 01:44:15 pm by bpoolrover »
Does it not to you Sydney? Even if brexit didn’t exist it would be nice to try and support British industries, while it is not always possible or practical surely it would help them

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3968 on August 13, 2019, 02:27:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
That would be easy to change thou more people including myself should buy more British products

Why do you think we don't do that now BP?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #3969 on August 13, 2019, 02:29:56 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Economics 101

Increased demand = higher prices.

PS I'm sure British farmers would love for you tell them how you think land that can produce 100% of something can suddenly produce 200% of it. And instantly too.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 02:32:44 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3970 on August 13, 2019, 02:49:53 pm by bpoolrover »

Economics 101

PS I'm sure British farmers would love for you tell them how you think land that can produce 100% of something can suddenly produce 200% of it. And instantly too.
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJQ5uMv1JdsFMALTJ0g81Q;_ylu=X3oDMTByaW11dnNvBGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1565732876/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.theplymouthdaily.co.uk%2fnews%2ffood-drink%2fback-british-farming-put-more-british-food-more-british-plates/RK=2/RS=Ppzj4xDXAJrOHwRKcnjEDND6Igw- I never said instantly as there will be no need 2, were suddenly not going to run out of food you no

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3971 on August 13, 2019, 04:38:28 pm by wilts rover »
Brexit was a good idea because we can reduce tariffs and import cheap stuff from around the world (c Jacob Rees Mogg and some posters on here).

Now it appears 'don't worry we wont starve because we have plenty of our own turnips'!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3972 on August 13, 2019, 04:54:52 pm by Donnywolf »

Economics 101

Just add lots of bulls**t -  :turd: lets face it there should be plenty kicking about after 3 years of this "impasse"

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #3973 on August 14, 2019, 01:55:06 am by Glyn_Wigley »

Economics 101

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJQ5uMv1JdsFMALTJ0g81Q;_ylu=X3oDMTByaW11dnNvBGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1565732876/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.theplymouthdaily.co.uk%2fnews%2ffood-drink%2fback-british-farming-put-more-british-food-more-british-plates/RK=2/RS=Ppzj4xDXAJrOHwRKcnjEDND6Igw- I never said instantly as there will be no need 2, were suddenly not going to run out of food you no

A six-year-old page of waffle that ignores a question in true BB style...is that all you've got?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #3974 on August 14, 2019, 02:06:06 am by Bentley Bullet »
At least I've got what you very much lack Mr Wiggerly. Style!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3975 on August 14, 2019, 02:34:46 am by SydneyRover »
All those with vested interests showing their colours.

Hotelier threw £12,000 victory party for Johnson, records reveal

PM received almost £650,000 in campaign donations, register of MPs’ interests shows

Now let me think why would an international hotelier support brexit? would it be so he can import food cheaper, as a previous post shows that's not on the cards, what are the biggest outlays that business people make, wages and rent must be high on the list.

No-deal would mean higher costs therefore businesses would be looking to make savings. In little britain without the protection of the EU workers will be exposed to a new form of industrial relations, think back to a period before unions were invented, think of the gig-economy or zero-hours contracts on steroids.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/13/hotelier-threw-12000-victory-party-for-boris-johnson-register-reveals

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3976 on August 14, 2019, 02:38:58 am by SydneyRover »
Feeling nervous at all SS, no reason really just asking?

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #3977 on August 14, 2019, 04:11:12 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Just to throw something else into this.

Did anyone else see the BBC's Beyond 100 Days last week (30 July)?

https://archive.org/details/BBCNEWS_20190730_180000_Beyond_100_Days

The  interview at about 7:43 p.m. was with a former US senator who is part of a committee set up to 'Protect the Good Friday Agreement'. The gist was that there are so many 'Irish' Americans worried about a hard border, including members of the 'Ways and Means Committee'. This committee will be required to accept any trade deal the UK makes with the US, and it is likely (according to the interviewee at least) to block any such deal in the event of a no deal Brexit and a hard border.

Very scary to hear such things from the basket we look to be putting all our eggs in. 

Ignore what Bolton (and by implication Trump) are saying - as I suggested above a deal with the US may not be as easy as we think in a no deal scenario:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49348062

The Ireland/Northern Ireland border problem and its consequences have been severely underestimated since day one, and continue to be.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 04:38:27 pm by Dutch Uncle »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3978 on August 14, 2019, 04:40:27 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Couldn't agree more Dutch.

Have you noticed the line coming out of No10? The "anti-democratic" backstop has to go. But not a word of a suggestion about how you then deal with the border. Not a word.

This isn't serious negotiating. It's convincing the gullible that the EU are to blame for imposing this "anti-democratic" arrangement on us.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #3979 on August 14, 2019, 05:42:01 pm by scawsby steve »
Feeling nervous at all SS, no reason really just asking?

Definitely. If we don't get a striker in, Fleetwood will stuff us.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3980 on August 14, 2019, 06:37:26 pm by wilts rover »
I wouldn't worry if I were you Steve, it's all smoke and mirrors....

Ian Dunt - Johnson is a vain and ignorant sociopath but he is not stupid. All he cares about is his premiership, and he knows no-deal will end it.

He is bluffing. But he has miscalculated. And he will fail.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/is-boris-johnson-bluffing-brexit-no-deal-parliament-westminster

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3981 on August 14, 2019, 06:54:47 pm by wilts rover »
And for the sake of balance here is an excellent piece on how hardcore remainers have become extremists.

Loud, obssesive and tribal - they hate Fararge, Johnson and Corbyn but love legal experts and James O'Brien:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/13/brexit-remain-radicalisation-fbpe-peoples-vote

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3982 on August 14, 2019, 07:46:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
And for the sake of balance here is an excellent piece on how hardcore remainers have become extremists.

Loud, obssesive and tribal - they hate Fararge, Johnson and Corbyn but love legal experts and James O'Brien:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/13/brexit-remain-radicalisation-fbpe-peoples-vote

Ahh don't you just love polemic journalists.

They are paid to write guff like "(Remainists) have helped set the new conventional wisdom that Labour faces electoral wipeout if it doesn’t commit to a second referendum," free from the need to provide stuff like evidence to back up their assertions.

Note that it's not election results or the stark opinion poll data that has made that point. No, it's the opinions of a few thousand obsessives apparently.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #3983 on August 14, 2019, 07:56:52 pm by scawsby steve »
I wouldn't worry if I were you Steve, it's all smoke and mirrors....

Ian Dunt - Johnson is a vain and ignorant sociopath but he is not stupid. All he cares about is his premiership, and he knows no-deal will end it.

He is bluffing. But he has miscalculated. And he will fail.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/is-boris-johnson-bluffing-brexit-no-deal-parliament-westminster

I've thought all along that Johnson won't have the bottle to force a no-deal through, but I also wonder what his alternatives are.

He's in a corner at the moment, and I can't see what his next move will be.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3984 on August 14, 2019, 08:06:11 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
SS
Of course he won't push No Deal through. Because it would do very serious damage to the country and, in an era of reall bad PMs, he would go down in history as the very worst.

What he's doing is manoeuvring Parliament into a position where THEY have to stop No Deal. Then he plays the "You, the honest, democracy loving electorate have been betrayed by these bas**rd MPs," card when we go into the Election.

It is shameless politicking. And so f**king transparent if you're prepared to look at it.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3985 on August 14, 2019, 08:40:01 pm by wilts rover »
I don't disagree Billy but I do see one big flaw in that 'plan'.

It can only be delivered by a number of Tory MP's voting against Johnson. So he will be going into an election telling the electorate that his own MP's can't be trusted. There will only be one winner from that - and it won't be him.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3986 on August 14, 2019, 08:44:39 pm by Filo »
SS
Of course he won't push No Deal through. Because it would do very serious damage to the country and, in an era of reall bad PMs, he would go down in history as the very worst.

What he's doing is manoeuvring Parliament into a position where THEY have to stop No Deal. Then he plays the "You, the honest, democracy loving electorate have been betrayed by these bas**rd MPs," card when we go into the Election.

It is shameless politicking. And so f**king transparent if you're prepared to look at it.

The groundwork is already taking place

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49348072

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3987 on August 14, 2019, 09:07:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Wilts.

You appear not to grasp the war going on inside the Tory party. They are already chucking bombs between the right wing and the centre. Hasn't stopped the Tories pulling well ahead of Labour in the polls...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3988 on August 14, 2019, 09:10:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
SS

The groundwork is already taking place

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49348072

Playing the gullible.

He's blaming MPs for undermining the concept of No Deal, saying it's weakening his negotiating position. But he hasn't got a negotiating position. He's made up red lines that the EU would never accept in a million years.

This is all a strategy to blame Remain MPs for Brexit hitting the buffers again when the Election comes.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3989 on August 14, 2019, 09:21:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
And here's some more of him playing the gullible in the first 40 seconds of this video.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1161704957374062593

Fact. The EU bent over backwards to offer us a solution to our own crisis, by proposing the backstop. They have gone as far as they possibly can. If they ripped up the backstop, they would be shitting all over an EU member (Ireland) to assist a country that wants out (UK). That is simply not going to happen. Full stop.

But there's Johnson saying the EU are just playing hardball and it's MP's fault for undermining his negotiating position.

If you remember that he's an unprincipled, amoral Kitson with no interest in anything but his own position and career, it all makes perfect sense. If you buy into it, you're allowing yourself to be played.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012