Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 04:52:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Best front two  (Read 2299 times)

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
Best front two
« on April 13, 2013, 09:45:32 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Having seen Hume and Paynter put a total performance in V Blunts I find it staggering these have not been paired together since.

Nothing wrong with Brown as he has been playing well but still dont think Paynter and Brown work together irrespective of the success this afternoon?

What do others think?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

pubteam

Re: Best front two
« Reply #1 on April 13, 2013, 09:49:43 pm by pubteam »
I think all three of them are great, and it's really difficult to leave one of them out.

Billy must be in with a shout of starting the next game now though. It's a shame for Hume if he drops to the bench again, but Paynter was quality today, and you could see how much he wanted it after being left on the bench for the past few games.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 13, 2013, 09:54:33 pm by IDM »
Big dilemma - Brown has been pivotal recently, but Billy won the game today.

As much as I like Hume and have been doubtful about playing Paynter/Brown together, they did very well for half an hour this afternoon.  I would be tempted to start with the same 11 that finished today.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 13, 2013, 10:01:17 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Brown and Paynter too alike?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 13, 2013, 10:05:51 pm by idler »
Brown and Paynter are too alike but Brown holds the ball up better than anyone else.
Paynter scores more and Hume runs defences ragged.
Finding space for all three is like trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot but that's how Flynn earns his money, he makes the decisions.

pubteam

« Reply #5 on April 13, 2013, 10:06:14 pm by pubteam »
They aren't completely different, but I see Brown as more of a physical battler who holds it up and wins flick-ons, and Paynter as more of a goalscorer, although Brown isn't bad in front of goal, and Paynter can get stuck in.

I know he wouldn't feature in anyone's best front two, but what has happened to Emile Sinclair? Has he gone back? Wasn't even on the bench today.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 13, 2013, 10:06:48 pm by MachoMadness »
Nice headache to have, any of our strikers would feel hard done by if they didn't start against County now. Brown has been amazing recently, MOTM today, and he wins everything up front. Paynter is top scorer, again won everything when he came on, and is probably the best finisher we have despite the barn door nickname. However Hume offers something different and has the pace and energy that causes defenders to make mistakes and opens up space for others.

I can't decide!

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 13, 2013, 10:07:49 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
They aren't completely different, but I see Brown as more of a physical battler who holds it up and wins flick-ons, and Paynter as more of a goalscorer, although Brown isn't bad in front of goal, and Paynter can get stuck in.

I know he wouldn't feature in anyone's best front two, but what has happened to Emile Sinclair? Has he gone back? Wasn't even on the bench today.

Him and Fowler what a waste of wages!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 13, 2013, 10:30:40 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Brown has been a proper Mester in recent weeks.

He was a wonderfully talented, coltish kid when he won a medal with us in 04. He's matured into the most intelligent, selfless, strong and hard-working centre forward that we've had since Ernie Moss or Alan Warboys.

When we win promotion this year, he takes his place in the Pantheon of Rovers Greats.

Just like his dad should have done 30 years back.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 13, 2013, 10:59:50 pm by Norfolk N Chance »

He was a wonderfully talented, coltish kid when he won a medal with us in 04. He's matured into the most intelligent, selfless, strong and hard-working centre forward that we've had since Ernie Moss or Alan Warboys.

When we win promotion this year, he takes his place in the Pantheon of Rovers Greats.

His dad got injured and that was it!

Bit like Ray Deans remember him?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 13, 2013, 11:12:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Like it were yesterdi Nobby. Like it were yesterdi.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 13, 2013, 11:13:10 pm by wilts rover »

Most mature, selfless and hardworking since Ernie Moss - are you not forgetting the great Paul Barnes - then again maybe you are right!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 13, 2013, 11:38:45 pm by RobTheRover »

Most mature, selfless and hardworking since Ernie Moss - are you not forgetting the great Paul Barnes - then again maybe you are right!

You do know how King Barnes got his name dont you , Wilts?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 14, 2013, 12:02:45 am by MachoMadness »
Barney always put a shift in, he just treated himself with a burger or ten and a pint after he'd done it.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 14, 2013, 01:18:18 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
As said above, Paynter is the more natural goalscorer than Brown who is a more involved footballer with a harder work rate. Humey, can be a little terrier who can cause a lot of damage if you take your eye off him.

Could be a case for playing all three but at who's expense I'm not sure.

Goal difference could come in to play, so if we need to push on v Notts County, providing the points are in the bag, then seeing all three on the pitch could be a possibility.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 14, 2013, 02:06:23 pm by The Beast »
Makes me laugh when people say Brown and Paynter are too a like, they're both big lads and not the quickest but that's where the similarities end. Brown plays with his back to goal and holds the ball up, where as Billy is more of a poacher and runs the channels. We're in the fortunate position of having 3 of the best strikers in League 1.         

While we're at it please don't refer to Billy Paynter as "Barndoor" , it's what Leeds vermin call him and is a very derogatory term for someone who is the second/third best finisher I've seen in a Rover shirt!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 14, 2013, 02:09:35 pm by RedJ »
Not to mention our top scorer. People may say that's down to about 5 penalties but if you're a shit finisher you'd miss them too.

pubteam

« Reply #17 on April 14, 2013, 02:12:23 pm by pubteam »
Makes me laugh when people say Brown and Paynter are too a like, they're both big lads and not the quickest but that's where the similarities end. Brown plays with his back to goal and holds the ball up, where as Billy is more of a poacher and runs the channels. We're in the fortunate position of having 3 of the best strikers in League 1.         

While we're at it please don't refer to Billy Paynter as "Barndoor" , it's what Leeds vermin call him and is a very derogatory term for someone who is the second/third best finisher I've seen in a Rover shirt!

I agree with every word, especially the bold bit. I've said it before, normally we don't listen to Leeds fans, so why do we take their view on Paynter as gospel?

He's a very good striker at this level. Maybe he won't be quite up to it at Championship level, but let's worry about that if/when it becomes a problem. You never know, he might do better going into it with the team he's scored goals for in L1. Every time he's played in the Championship it's been with a new team and a new setup. If he goes up with us settled in our side and full of confidence, perhaps he'll do a job?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 14, 2013, 02:20:15 pm by MachoMadness »
I thought barn door was just an ironic nickname at this point.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 14, 2013, 02:30:23 pm by The Beast »
I thought barn door was just an ironic nickname at this point.

Maybe so, not keen on Irony though, makes me think of Scunthorpe and Thatcher.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012