Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:50:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: If the manager was to leave….  (Read 6119 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: If the manager was to leave….
« Reply #30 on October 30, 2021, 07:47:24 pm by Filo »
Fifteen games into O'Driscoll's reign he'd picked up 23 points. We'd just won 3 league games on the bounce. There weren't many calling for his head.

I remember one particular Tuesday night at home to Yeovil, half the stadium emptied after about 60 mins in disgust

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on October 30, 2021, 07:49:09 pm by River Don »
How can you create chances for strikers who have zero off the ball movement??

Perhaps they are just demoralised?

I'm not saying there are not problems upfront but it's difficult to know while it's so shambolic at the back.

They've just got to defend better, that's the start. Defence. Always.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on October 30, 2021, 07:51:39 pm by Cramby10 »
Demoralised???? They should be cock a hoop cos they’ve hit the jackpot in conning us out of a wage!!

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on October 30, 2021, 07:52:09 pm by sha66y »
Another pointless thread feeding the fanbase more regurgitated opinions without realistic solutions….

I’ll say this fkin slowly for the half-witted!

Richie- had - to- build- a-team- with-his-initial-budget-, the-team-was-decimated-by-previous-mismanagement, So-Richie-used-all-of-his-budget-to-get-enough-players-to-be-able-to-fulfill-fixtures!
I’m-sure-he-would-have-preferred-to-add-quality-players-to-an-existing-squad-to-strengthen-it, - but-that-wasn’t-the-case-as-you-all-well-know!

You were there, you saw what happened, yet you expect so much more than can be realistically achieved under the circumstances…..

I’m more Disapointed in the so called supporters who have chosen to forget how Richies tenure started, and assume that he started with a level playing field….

Donny has really shitty supporters!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on October 30, 2021, 07:53:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Fifteen games into O'Driscoll's reign he'd picked up 23 points. We'd just won 3 league games on the bounce. There weren't many calling for his head.

I remember one particular Tuesday night at home to Yeovil, half the stadium emptied after about 60 mins in disgust
That was the following season. The one where week after week he kept picking Wilson and leaving Green in the bench.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on October 30, 2021, 07:54:46 pm by dickos1 »
Sha66y
Don’t always agree with you but that is spot on

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on October 30, 2021, 07:55:05 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Wonder if Dingle Mick would fancy it?! Probably too low profile.

Said before Wellens that I could see someone like Neil Harris getting it and I don't see why he couldn't do a job in League One.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on October 30, 2021, 07:57:23 pm by dickos1 »

That was the following season. The one where week after week he kept picking Wilson and leaving Green in the bench.

It was also in his first season I can remember early into his reign away at Scunthorpe and people saying he had no passion for a derby and it was the worst derby performance in years.
Even later on that first season we went on a bad run lost away to Yeovil and also got battered 4-0 by someone.
We ended that season very poorly,

Point is it takes a manager longer than 15 games to get the side playing how he wants them to, there’s loads of examples.
We need to give him time

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on October 30, 2021, 07:57:39 pm by Cramby10 »
Sha66y
you're on one tonight trying to fight fires in defending Wellens. You did the same with Dickov. That ended well…..

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on October 30, 2021, 08:00:11 pm by dickos1 »
I’ve defended most of our managers, Moore is the only one that I thought didn’t really have a clue what he was doing.
I defended dickov in the championship because he did a very good job for us for 90% of that time he was poor in league one

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on October 30, 2021, 08:03:30 pm by sha66y »
Sha66y
you're on one tonight trying to fight fires in defending Wellens. You did the same with Dickov. That ended well…..

It’s not about defending Wellens….it’s about pointing out what happened prior to the season starting, of which you and the rest of the narrow heads seem to have forgotten…….are you saying that you weren’t aware of the team being decimated, then having to be rebuilt??….

Or isn’t that important enough for you and the narrow heads to consider!??

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on October 30, 2021, 08:07:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It wasn't about taking time for O'Driscoll to get his side playing as he wanted. He did that very quickly. The problems that led to underperformance for the first 12 months were entirely self inflicted - predominantly his bizarre insistence that Wilson and Guy were better than Green and Heffernan. Once he ditched that obsession, out of necessity, we were fine.

Meantime, the very first thing O'Driscoll did when he arrived was to instigate a style of play that emphasised solidity. He started off with three 0-0s on the bounce and we kept 6 clean sheets in his first 10 league games. It was f**king grim watching but it gave us a foundation.

Wellens on the other hand has out together the worst defensive unit since the days of Darren Finley. That means that we are finding it impossible to grit out results and give some breathing space for Wellens to work on the style he wants to bring to the club.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on October 30, 2021, 08:09:01 pm by River Don »
Sha66y

It’s not about defending Wellens….it’s about pointing out what happened prior to the season starting, of which you and the rest of the narrow heads seem to have forgotten…….are you saying that you weren’t aware of the team being decimated, then having to be rebuilt??….

Or isn’t that important enough for you and the narrow heads to consider!??

Spot on, Shag.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on October 30, 2021, 08:10:19 pm by drfchound »
Another pointless thread feeding the fanbase more regurgitated opinions without realistic solutions….

Richie- had - to- build- a-team- with-his-initial-budget-, the-team-was-decimated-by-previous-mismanagement, So-Richie-used-all-of-his-budget-to-get-enough-players-to-be-able-to-fulfill-fixtures!
I’m-sure-he-would-have-preferred-to-add-quality-players-to-an-existing-squad-to-strengthen-it, - but-that-wasn’t-the-case-as-you-all-well-know!

You were there, you saw what happened, yet you expect so much more than can be realistically achieved under the circumstances…..

I’m more Disapointed in the so called supporters who have chosen to forget how Richies tenure started, and assume that he started with a level playing field….

Good grief, I wish there were some political threads to argue on tonight.
(Imaginary tongue in cheek emoji here).

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on October 30, 2021, 08:10:44 pm by Plumbster »
The idea that Wellens was given a budget that doomed him to failure is nonsense IMHO- he has built a team that would struggle in League 2.  That is the key question for the board though when weighing up whether to trust him with more money in January or to find a new manager.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on October 30, 2021, 08:11:20 pm by Cramby10 »
I’m well aware of what happened before the season me old fruit bat. I wanted Wellens at this club wholeheartedly. I still did until a few weeks ago. But whilst watching the team, regardless of their ability, I see absolutely no organisation, shape, structure, method of play or any evidence that they’re being adequately coached. And then the bullshit he spouts afterwards makes me think that no player would want to play for that type of bloke. Fathead!!

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on October 30, 2021, 08:15:52 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

Ok. Maybe i'm half-witted

I've just looked at each clubs in's and out's this summer just in terms of numbers. Every club had a similar amount of new players come in and old ones leave. Confidence was decimated by Moore but it's normal for lower division teams to have a high turnover. So i don't buy that.

Also you don't seem to understand a budget. If the last manager decimated the squad that means there's a lot of surplus budget to be spent i.e. the wages of the players who have left. That gives the manager a great position of been able to make the squad his own pretty quick with only a couple of hangovers from the last manager (Bogle & Williams). Wellens has his own new team other than Anderson & Bostock.

I honestly believe the squad is better than it's current league position and for all the talk of reduced money to spend we will have a better budget than a lot of teams above us. Maybe i'm too willing to believe in our players but a lot have decent experience at this level. Remember the issue people have isn't that we aren't top it's that we are second bottom. This isn't a case of supporters demanding too much please understand this.

Do you also not understand that while Richie had to fill a team he has a say in the type of player we go after. We're looking at a season of struggle you accept that so why sign lightweight inexperienced players who aren't going to thrive in a relegation battle. It's not money our competition at the bottom of the table fill their squads with robust fighters we could have done the same but chose to run before we can walk.

Realistically we can expect better than relegation so i think a level of irritation and concern is very reasonable. Also if we are to offer a realistic solution i don't think it's too far fetched to suggest a new manager could at least get performances out of the players that would be considered par for their ability. Currently we're way under that. But you don't acknowledge that as a solution which is fine. Others will though so get over it.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on October 30, 2021, 08:17:24 pm by bpoolrover »
If you read this forum after this many games into sods reign it would be full of people making comments like there is tonight.
Not saying he’s going to turn us into that but I am saying this many games into a tenure is not the time to sack a manager.
Moore has a lot to answer for and if we’d appointed wellens after mccann I don’t think we’d be struggling down the bottom of league one.
He would’ve signed someone like clarke Harris when Marquis left and wouldn’t have got rid of players like Blair and May.
I'm not being funny dickos, some of the signings wellens has made are awful, most of them are from struggling teams in our division or lower and have been released, olowu couldn't get a contract at a non league team, Williams well he just struggles every game, Barlow Gardner are a waste of funds, cakur is nowhere near ready for men's football and vilca is ok at best, smith offers no more than any of the other midfielders, he has not signed a defensive midfielder or anyone in fact that's can challenge anyone with any strength

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on October 30, 2021, 08:18:58 pm by dickos1 »
The idea that Wellens was given a budget that doomed him to failure is nonsense IMHO- he has built a team that would struggle in League 2.  That is the key question for the board though when weighing up whether to trust him with more money in January or to find a new manager.

Absolute nonsense that we’d struggle in league 2.
With our strongest 11 we would piss that league there’s a massive difference between the two leagues

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on October 30, 2021, 08:22:14 pm by Plumbster »
I hope you are right Dickos but remember last time we were in L2 we had Whiteman, Copps and Marquis to steer us through

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on October 30, 2021, 08:22:44 pm by dickos1 »
If you read this forum after this many games into sods reign it would be full of people making comments like there is tonight.
Not saying he’s going to turn us into that but I am saying this many games into a tenure is not the time to sack a manager.
Moore has a lot to answer for and if we’d appointed wellens after mccann I don’t think we’d be struggling down the bottom of league one.
He would’ve signed someone like clarke Harris when Marquis left and wouldn’t have got rid of players like Blair and May.
I'm not being funny dickos, some of the signings wellens has made are awful, most of them are from struggling teams in our division or lower and have been released, olowu couldn't get a contract at a non league team, Williams well he just struggles every game, Barlow Gardner are a waste of funds, cakur is nowhere near ready for men's football and vilca is ok at best, smith offers no more than any of the other midfielders, he has not signed a defensive midfielder or anyone in fact that's can challenge anyone with any strength

I agree but don’t you think if he’d had more in the budget he’d have signed better players than Barlow and gardener. They were signed because we couldn’t even fill the bench.

Vilca I think is decent, Williams and knoyle will improve, knoyle is obviously a good player but he’s short of Confidence.
Rowe, Galbraith, close, hiwulu, are very good signings for league one

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on October 30, 2021, 08:22:51 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
We do have to accept he's had a lot of key players out for a long time. So i can understand our lack of cutting edge up top. But the lack of organisation and the awful defending are nothing to do with injuries.

So yes some slack there for our predicament but even taking that into account we aren't getting the best out of the players.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on October 30, 2021, 08:24:08 pm by dickos1 »
I hope you are right Dickos but remember last time we were in L2 we had Whiteman, Copps and Marquis to steer us through

League two was a better league then with Portsmouth, us, Plymouth etc

Look at some of the clubs in league one this season it’s ridiculous

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on October 30, 2021, 08:26:44 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

I agree but don’t you think if he’d had more in the budget he’d have signed better players than Barlow and gardener. They were signed because we couldn’t even fill the bench.

Vilca I think is decent, Williams and knoyle will improve, knoyle is obviously a good player but he’s short of Confidence.

I agree with you on the players most we signed are good or were before they came. So why are we where we are?

Injuries have played a part but it's not the only reason or even the main reason imo.

Jersey Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on October 30, 2021, 08:27:00 pm by Jersey Rover »
Nigel Adkins. Fully aware he just got sacked at Charlton but he is in our price range I would think, experienced at this level, that was his squad today really who look a decent outfit so obviously has an eye for a player and most importantly he’s available

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on October 30, 2021, 08:30:09 pm by vaya »
Nigel Adkins. Fully aware he just got sacked at Charlton but he is in our price range I would think, experienced at this level, that was his squad today really who look a decent outfit so obviously has an eye for a player and most importantly he’s available

Best will in the world JR, but that's like suggesting the Captain of the Titanic for the new position at the head of the Torrey Canyon.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on October 30, 2021, 08:30:39 pm by dickos1 »

We won 6 out of his first 15 games, in a season that we were told we were going for it.
And regardless of what you say, you can look back and see for yourself this forum was awash with people unhappy with sod.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on October 30, 2021, 08:49:30 pm by bpoolrover »

I said that about Barlow and Gardner but I'm sure sm said they were targets of his or something similar

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on October 30, 2021, 08:56:47 pm by dickos1 »
Not sure because they were both on trial all summer, it was like we kept them here just in case we couldn’t get anyone better in

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on October 30, 2021, 09:01:48 pm by NickDRFC »

We won 6 out of his first 15 games, in a season that we were told we were going for it.
And regardless of what you say, you can look back and see for yourself this forum was awash with people unhappy with sod.

Where can people see this? I can only see back to page 1,377 of this forum, with posts from 2010. O’Driscoll took over 4 years before that.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012