Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:00:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: If the manager was to leave….  (Read 6112 times)

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
If the manager was to leave….
« on October 30, 2021, 06:25:42 pm by Draytonian III »
….one way or the other, who do people want to replace him ? Remember we don’t usually poach managers from other clubs and Copps doesn’t want it

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Re: If the manager was to leave….
« Reply #1 on October 30, 2021, 06:27:11 pm by since-1969 »
SO …and your point Is

RTID!!!

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 30, 2021, 06:29:16 pm by RTID!!! »
Most likely, if Wellens stays, we go down. Any manager we can get is worth a try- they literally won't be able to do any worse, only better.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 30, 2021, 06:30:13 pm by EasyforDennis »
Unless he walks he will be going nowhere.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 30, 2021, 06:36:31 pm by Draytonian III »
SO …and your point Is

I was asking a question, to open up a discussion

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 30, 2021, 06:38:47 pm by River Don »
Well, if the board go through their usual rigmarole in appointing a manager, then we'll be needing a caretaker first.

I wonder if Paul Green would fancy giving it a go?

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 30, 2021, 06:45:35 pm by since-1969 »
SO …and your point Is

So you just haven’t got an answer either ?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 30, 2021, 06:46:15 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Thing is as fans we don’t have enough knowledge of who’s who and how well they are thought of within the industry so inevitably we go for the same old choices who we know.

The club has interviewed a lot of potential managers over the years. Some will have just missed out on the job and would have come well recommend. I’d start there if I were paid to run the club.

We always get 100s of applications for the job. Maybe they’d all have us on even fewer points than we are but I’d imagine a decent number would have done a better job in hindsight
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 06:48:25 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 30, 2021, 06:47:28 pm by ChrisBx »
McSheffrey would be caretaker manager.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 30, 2021, 06:48:37 pm by dickos1 »
If you read this forum after this many games into sods reign it would be full of people making comments like there is tonight.
Not saying he’s going to turn us into that but I am saying this many games into a tenure is not the time to sack a manager.
Moore has a lot to answer for and if we’d appointed wellens after mccann I don’t think we’d be struggling down the bottom of league one.
He would’ve signed someone like clarke Harris when Marquis left and wouldn’t have got rid of players like Blair and May.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 30, 2021, 06:50:21 pm by Bessie Red »
What we don't need is another rookie manager. We need someone who has knowledge of this division and knows how to make a team resilient.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 30, 2021, 06:51:59 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
If you read this forum after this many games into sods reign it would be full of people making comments like there is tonight.
Not saying he’s going to turn us into that but I am saying this many games into a tenure is not the time to sack a manager.
Moore has a lot to answer for and if we’d appointed wellens after mccann I don’t think we’d be struggling down the bottom of league one.
He would’ve signed someone like clarke Harris when Marquis left and wouldn’t have got rid of players like Blair and May.

I agree it is too soon. But when does the decision need to be made in your opinion? I think by the of November to give the new man time before January.

Everyone is going to be buzzing if Wellens can turn it around like SOD that doesn’t mean question shouldn’t be asked

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 30, 2021, 06:52:24 pm by The Beast »
Most likely, if Wellens stays, we go down. Any manager we can get is worth a try- they literally won't be able to do any worse, only better.
I’ve always said we’ll stay up, I’m getting worried now.
I still say you’ve got to give until he’s had a few games with Fej, John, Taylor etc before you give him the nudge. What worries me is we don’t seem to have any knowledge or idea of how to defend and some of his signings have been the worst I’ve seen, don’t know if they’re his mates or what.
I just think if you change the manager now, it’ll cost a lot of money and the new man has got an excuse if we get relegated. I know people will say if we keep him and go down it’ll cost a lot of money but we’re stuck with the players we’ve got now we might as well see if he has got a plan.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 30, 2021, 06:52:51 pm by EasyforDennis »
What we don't need is another rookie manager. We need someone who has knowledge of this division and knows how to make a team resilient.

Not something that is going to happen with these players.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 30, 2021, 06:54:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Fifteen games into O'Driscoll's reign he'd picked up 23 points. We'd just won 3 league games on the bounce. There weren't many calling for his head.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 30, 2021, 06:57:31 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Sol Campbell. He got Macc out of the shit and maybe his stature would elicit some response from the players who clearly are not reacting to anything Wellens is doing.

Campbell also did well at Southend.

Both Southend and Macc are not now in the FL so proves what a good job he did. He claims to be desperate for a job and wouldn't cost the earth and is a free agent. Rather have Campbell than Wellens in terms of experience and desire.

Wellens just doesn't look up to it. Doesn't seem to have the grit to succeed at management.

Given the board are tightening the ship and mugging off us fans on the cheap, i don't think the next manager would be coming here if he wasn't desperate,

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 30, 2021, 06:58:10 pm by River Don »
Fifteen games into O'Driscoll's reign he'd picked up 23 points. We'd just won 3 league games on the bounce. There weren't many calling for his head.

I was just going to look that up...

To be fair to Richie though, I think a Sean inherited a better squad and he didn't have the injury nightmare.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 30, 2021, 06:58:22 pm by dickos1 »

I agree it is too soon. But when does the decision need to be made in your opinion? I think by the of November to give the new man time before January.

Everyone is going to be buzzing if Wellens can turn it around like SOD that doesn’t mean question shouldn’t be asked

It’s only my opinion but I wouldn’t sack him,
I’m much more comfortable with him in charge than I was with Moore.
I agree with what he’s trying to do and the way Moore dismantled our squad was a disgrace really

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 30, 2021, 07:00:21 pm by dickos1 »

Have a look back at the forum, it was awash with people demanding he go back down south and complaining about terrible signings like stock

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 30, 2021, 07:03:49 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
SO …and your point Is

but you have to allow for posters on here (with negative I . Q's  like minus 69 and goldfish memories)  not understanding or remembering how the site works .. :scarf:

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 30, 2021, 07:05:26 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

It’s only my opinion but I wouldn’t sack him,
I’m much more comfortable with him in charge than I was with Moore.
I agree with what he’s trying to do and the way Moore dismantled our squad was a disgrace really

I get that and we could be in a better place if he can bring us back up and give us the stability we’ve needed. I worry it’s a gamble that would be so expensive if we’re poor next season in the league below with another summer of poor recruitment.

If he shows no sign of improvement throughout this season that gamble on the second season will just get riskier and riskier. If it was my money I’d not be too happy about the risk

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 30, 2021, 07:16:02 pm by dickos1 »
I don’t think his signings are bad players, they’re maybe struggling with confidence due to the start we had when we had so many players missing.
But close, Galbraith, knoyle, hiwulu, doodoo, etc are all good enough pedigree for this league to. Or be sat at the bottom

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 30, 2021, 07:19:10 pm by River Don »
Rowe is a decent signing too.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 30, 2021, 07:24:57 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Hiwula and Dodoo are strikers who don't score many and don't create many. They are poor signings.

Vilca is a poor addition. Too lightweight and go missing for large periods in games like the above 2.

Galbraith is the only signing of any real quality.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 30, 2021, 07:28:02 pm by River Don »
In a team playing like this it's difficult to have a serious opinion on strikers.

Not until they stop leaking goals and start to play with confidence.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 30, 2021, 07:31:34 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Hiwula is shocking and only wants to know when in acres of space.

Dodoo tries.....

Vilca is the likeliest of the 3 to actually do something with the ball. Young Kyle Bennett.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 30, 2021, 07:33:19 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
We have plenty of the ball in midfield. Too much in fact. The problem is the lack of movement from the likes of Dodoo and Hiwula. Talk about lazy. No movement from anyone. Times when Bostock has the ball, looks up for someone to hit but there is nobody because nobody can be arsed to f**king run and move.

Maybe sort this out too Richie whilst you are at it?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 07:36:33 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 30, 2021, 07:34:33 pm by River Don »
Again Padge,

Unntil the midfield have confidence in the back line, until they are confident to go forward and create, you can't have a serious opinion on strikers.

Today they weren't creating the chances.

You can't build a house without firm foundations.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 07:40:44 pm by River Don »

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 30, 2021, 07:44:39 pm by Cramby10 »
How can you create chances for strikers who have zero off the ball movement??

mattco

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 30, 2021, 07:46:08 pm by mattco »
What do they do on the training ground?  We regularly have thros-ins and nobody is moving or even looking kike they want the ball. We are so slow in the build-up that most attacking options disappear. We can all see these problems, but is it anything done in training to try and rectify them

TinyPortal © 2005-2012