Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 04:06:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Question for the board  (Read 15416 times)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Question for the board
« Reply #60 on January 17, 2020, 10:51:48 am by Campsall rover »
Well £4m bought Sunderland a load of success with Will Grigg didn't it? Just shows you the hyped up figures you pay in January, and then you are stuck with that player and their wages for 2 or more seasons.

It's much more complicated than spending loads of cash. Also if we push the boat out and splash the cash on inflated prices, how does that make others feel in the squad who have just signed or about to sign contracts on lower wages?? It's a balance you don't want to get one in that pisses others off or causes them not to re-sign.

If this means we have to wait until the summer to sign the right players, then so be it, give the youngsters ago and yes we may finish mid table but DM will get his players in the summer.

Don't forget by the time DM came in this season all the good buys had gone, we were looking at the players remaining after clubs had got in first. This was not DRFC or DM's fault.

DM additions have been great so far in difficult circumstances - trust him to do the right thing.
Great common sense post Donny Viking. Shame some on hear can’t see the reality of the situation.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

karlos

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on January 17, 2020, 11:56:50 am by karlos »
Silent majority so if he has identified the player he wants who is it up to to get that deal over the line?.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on January 17, 2020, 12:22:18 pm by the vicar »
I can understand the lack of people not coming in at the beginning of the season as DMhad little time to get anyone, but this window there is no excuse, it could be he it too picky

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on January 17, 2020, 12:24:34 pm by IDM »
Of course he is being picky.  I wouldn’t expect anything less..

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on January 17, 2020, 12:24:37 pm by dickos1 »
Nobody is suggesting we spend silly money people keep using this argument but nobody whatsoever is suggesting that.
Moore has got a list of players, ones he’s been told to go and get yet he’s not able to get them signed.

This is an obvious problem that won’t suddenly disappear in the summer

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on January 17, 2020, 12:30:52 pm by IDM »
Perhaps, and it’s just a thought, the “obvious problem” isn’t that obvious after all.?

For sure, there are obstacles to signing players otherwise we would have brought more in.  But if the reason was so obvious, then identifying the issue and resolving it should in theory be straightforward..

Therefore perhaps there is no one individual “obvious problem”..

I will qualify his by adding that I do believe we should have added a couple more in the summer as well as in this window.. 

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on January 17, 2020, 12:31:53 pm by drfchound »
I can understand the lack of people not coming in at the beginning of the season as DMhad little time to get anyone, but this window there is no excuse, it could be he it too picky

As I have said elsewhere, all managers go out to try and sign the right players.
None go out and just get any player.
Why would they.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on January 17, 2020, 12:33:12 pm by dickos1 »
I didn’t say the reason was obvious just that the actual problem is now an obvious issue.
I don’t know the reason why it seems to be a problem

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on January 17, 2020, 12:39:33 pm by IDM »
Obviously..  :facepalm:

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on January 17, 2020, 12:42:35 pm by dickos1 »
Well it’s not to some people.
People are saying it’s all fine and wait until the summer, they won’t acknowledge there is a problem

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on January 17, 2020, 01:00:48 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
It's unlikely to be one thing and one simple solution. Any negotiations are two way and the playing of give and take. Sometimes negotiations have to be put on hold until either party makes their next move. In many instances it's a waiting game.

As suggested before, length of contract is often a key requirement, so if we offer a player 2 years, his agent may think he can get 3 from another club. Whilst our offer remains on the table the agent explores other avenues.

There could be any number of things an agents want for their players like bonuses, appearances, housing expenses, all sorts of clauses.

It's the same thing with contract renewals. Why has Anderson and Whiteman signed but Sadlier hasn't?

Only time will tell whether the club is playing the game well or otherwise but if you only have x amount to bet with, not wanting to break your wage structure then there's got to be limits.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on January 17, 2020, 01:02:54 pm by Campsall rover »
People are saying it’s all fine and wait until the summer, they won’t acknowledge there is a problem
You keep saying there is a problem. So tell us what it is. You can’t because you don’t know there is a problem if you are honest with yourself.
DM is obviously choosy as to who he wants and does not wish to waste money on bringing in just anyone for the sake of adding to the squad.
He is going to bide his time as he is obviously being allowed to so that be can eventually bring in the players who are going to be of long term benefit to the team.
That’s the way i see it anyway, you obviously disagree.

DM might even get us promoted with our current squad. We will need some considerable luck with injuries but it is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Personally after a Summer of recruitment we will be a very strong outfit next season in this league and will be better prepared for the Championship the year after.
Having said that there is never a bad time to get promoted so if there is a chance this season we have to go for it 100%.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on January 17, 2020, 01:07:52 pm by Jonathan »
Campsall, I think the problem is that we as a club are finding the recruitment of players to be a struggle. I think that point has been made multiple times on here in the last weeks and months. Nobody knows what the root cause of that is, but that’s a separate issue. We need players and we are not getting them in. If you don’t recognise that as a problem, maybe you have a problem.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on January 17, 2020, 01:12:28 pm by dickos1 »
You keep saying there is a problem. So tell us what it is. You can’t because you don’t know there is a problem if you are honest with yourself.
DM is obviously choosy as to who he wants and does not wish to waste money on bringing in just anyone for the sake of adding to the squad.
He is going to bide his time as he is obviously being allowed to so that be can eventually bring in the players who are going to be of long term benefit to the team.

DM might even get us promoted with our current squad. We will need some considerable luck with injuries but it is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Personally after a Summer of recruitment we will be a very strong outfit next season in this league and will be better prepared for the Championship the year after.
Having said that there is never a bad time to get promoted so if there is a chance this season we have to go for it 100%.

I’m sorry campsall but there’s an obvious problem.
We simply aren’t able to sign players and haven’t done since the end of last season.
The mccann scenario didn’t help of course but other clubs have had manager changes and have recruited very well.
Our squad was very weak entering the January window and so far all we’ve been able to do is make it weaker.
Which beggars belief

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on January 17, 2020, 01:12:47 pm by drfchound »

Paul, there IS a good chance of promotion this year, a very good chance as you know.
The best way to enhance that is to get the right players in before the end of January.
Who are the right players, surely all managers try to get the right players.
Why would they do any different.
Dickos has said that there obviously is a problem getting the so called right players but he has also said that obviously he doesn’t know what the problem is.
I don’t know why you challenged him on that.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on January 17, 2020, 01:21:20 pm by Campsall rover »
Campsall, I think the problem is that we as a club are finding the recruitment of players to be a struggle. I think that point has been made multiple times on here in the last weeks and months. Nobody knows what the root cause of that is, but that’s a separate issue. We need players and we are not getting them in. If you don’t recognise that as a problem, maybe you have a problem.
Jonathan DM has publicly said “it is difficult to get signings done in January as clubs are reluctant to let players leave”
Yes he could make signings i am sure, but he is obviously only interested in getting the ones he wants and if they aren’t available until the summer then we will have to wait won’t we.

Surely that is not too difficult to understand is it. So don’t tell me i have a problem Jonathan as it maybe you who has the problem.
I don’t wish to fall out with you as you are obviously one of the most sensible and articulate posters on this forum and i enjoy reading your thoughts on the club & agree with most of what you write.
 :thumbsup: :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 01:30:22 pm by Campsall rover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on January 17, 2020, 01:28:47 pm by Campsall rover »

Paul, there IS a good chance of promotion this year, a very good chance as you know.
The best way to enhance that is to get the right players in before the end of January.
Dickos has said that there obviously is a problem getting the so called right players but he has also said that obviously he doesn’t know what the problem is.
See my above post in reply to Jonathan, hound.
That is what the problem is. To me it’s obvious. DM has said what the problem is. He couldnt have made it any clearer.
He is choosy and will not bring in anyone who is not the right fit. Simple as that. We may have to wait until they are out of contract in the summer. If we have to wait, we will have to wait.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on January 17, 2020, 01:42:28 pm by Jonathan »
Jonathan DM has publicly said “it is difficult to get signings done in January as clubs are reluctant to let players leave”
Yes he could make signings i am sure, but he is obviously only interested in getting the ones he wants and if they aren’t available until the summer then we will have to wait won’t we.

Surely that is not too difficult to understand is it. So don’t tell me i have a problem Jonathan as it maybe you who has the problem.
I don’t wish to fall out with you as you are obviously one of the most sensible and articulate posters on this forum and i enjoy reading your thoughts on the club & agree with most of what you right.
 :thumbsup: :)

Absolutely no fall out. I was merely pointing out that the problems we’re having in recruitment are self evident, the reasons not so. It would be daft to have any kind of argument on the matter and I wasn’t actually suggesting you have a problem yourself, as I’m sure that you actually see we’ve had a problem getting players in.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on January 17, 2020, 01:44:25 pm by drfchound »

See my above post in reply to Jonathan, hound.
That is what the problem is. To me it’s obvious. DM has said what the problem is. He couldnt have made it any clearer.
He is choosy and will not bring in anyone who is not the right fit. Simple as that. We may have to wait until they are out of contract in the summer. If we have to wait, we will have to wait.

But Paul, you say that to you the problem is obvious, that it is difficult to get the right players in during January.
DM has already said that we have been unable to get certain players (players who must have been his “right ones” otherwise why would he have wanted them).
Dickos is saying that there must be a problem with completing these deals but has said it isn’t obvious what the problems are.

How do we know that the same problems won’t rear their heads again in the summer?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on January 17, 2020, 01:47:52 pm by Jonathan »
Even allowing for the fact that DM is choosy (and I don’t doubt that, so he should be) we are not yet managing to get the players in that he’s chosen. That could change in the next two weeks of course. But people will understandably comment on the here and now, especially as DM has admitted missing out on targets.

Jersey Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on January 17, 2020, 01:58:12 pm by Jersey Rover »
We would all like to see signings that are going to make us stronger not just now but also the long term. You need to be a bit more picky with signing players on contracts rather than on short term loans. Because DM was dealt a difficult situation at the start of the season he brought in season long loans that no one had heard of prior to arriving here and there is no doubt they have made a huge difference to our season so far. So in my opinion DM has a good eye for the right player and although it gets a bit twitchy waiting, I’m happy to except his explanation on transfer matter’s of getting the right players in. It may not happen in January but you can only sign the quality he obviously wants for DRFC if it’s available. Patience and trust required, he’s done a great job so far.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on January 17, 2020, 02:17:56 pm by Alan Southstand »
They obviously have been/are available, Jersey, as DM told us a while ago that ‘multiple’ bids have been made!

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on January 17, 2020, 02:21:07 pm by the vicar »
But at the same time Jersey he DM has to remember that he is not at WBA anymore, he is in League 1 so he is maybe aiming a bit to high

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on January 17, 2020, 02:29:29 pm by since-1969 »
But at the same time Jersey he DM has to remember that he is not at WBA anymore, he is in League 1 so he is maybe aiming a bit to high
Did DM leave WBA on good terms as we haven’t been linked to any loans form them ?

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on January 17, 2020, 02:31:48 pm by the vicar »
I don't mean them I meant he has to lower his expectations a little bit from there mentally to ours

karlos

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on January 17, 2020, 02:41:06 pm by karlos »
I notice on one of the other threads that Paul dickov went on a podcast and said that he was told to tell the fans we had a top 6 budget. If it was found to be true that Darren had been told us something to appease us the fans when actually it wasnt true how would those that believe every thing the board says feel?

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on January 17, 2020, 04:03:30 pm by sha66y »
There in lies the problem......fans with too much time on their hands trying to weave purses from pigs ears....

I’m not sure what lives some of you’s lead, but infatuating and obsessing over Doncaster Rovers off field activities can’t be all you have, ..surely?

Perhaps some should take a couple of weeks away from these toxic forums and enjoy the idea that there may be some good news ahead, and if there isn’t, so what, get back to supporting the players we have rather than the ones you think we should have....

Catte

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on January 17, 2020, 04:09:27 pm by Catte »
Cardiff paid BWFC £6M with add on's for Gary Madine one January window, now had we a manager who could play in more than one way at the time we should have been laughing at that one. To be fair I did laugh because he is a yard dog a poor mans Kevin Davies if you will.
First season a mild wind would blow him over toughened up to a strong breeze massively over rated by some easily spotted as shocking by most.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on January 17, 2020, 04:12:47 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Love your description.

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on January 17, 2020, 04:14:05 pm by Batleyred »
There in lies the problem......fans with too much time on their hands trying to weave purses from pigs ears....

I’m not sure what lives some of you’s lead, but infatuating and obsessing over Doncaster Rovers off field activities can’t be all you have, ..surely?

Perhaps some should take a couple of weeks away from these toxic forums and enjoy the idea that there may be some good news ahead, and if there isn’t, so what, get back to supporting the players we have rather than the ones you think we should have....

Agree with all that, i sometimes wonder if any of the negative posters live in an adult life, as in paying mortgages and house hold bills. I bet your bottom dollar they will not over spend on anything ( being from Yorkshire  :crying: )yet expect the board to chuck thousands to over rated players.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012