Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 12:59:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Burton and technology  (Read 2849 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Burton and technology
« on January 19, 2019, 06:52:32 pm by Donnywolf »
I sit on the back row and could hear all the game a man in a Burton Badged Coat speaking into a mike. He was right next to a Burton badged man with a tiny Camcorder

Throughout the game I noticed the first bloke was (sometimes) bellowing into the Mike. I could not miss it and neither could lots of others around me. These seemed to be direct instructions rather than ones informing those in the dug out.

One time he shouting to the Keeper as he was taking a GK " go left go left you missed him twice"
When we took a corner in second half do you remember a ball coming out to Copps who was 30 yards out inside right ? I heard "close him down close him down now "

There were other similar things and it got me thinking - what were they doing ? The only thing I could think is the bloke was doing a kind of commentary to go alongside the Video the younger one was shooting - for debriefing purposes in the future

The info he was giving could not have been going to the Dug outs to be relayed to the players as there just was no time for them to be passed on

We had some fun with them - though they would maybe disagree - cos when we scored the equaliser several of us were yelling " dive left Keeper dive left - oh too late" and when they got a Goal Kick we were shouting "kick it kick it - but wait a minute first". Every time they attacked we were shouting "Shoot 10 Shoot" They went quiet for the last 20 minutes

There was great glee when we took the lead and I was pleased to keep raising an imaginary flag because it looked offside to me. You would not believe the average age of those "bugging" the Burton boys but of course they had the last laugh with the late late equaliser

Maybe we should be shouting to our blokes (no names) - get it on target get it on target and the game would have been won long before that !
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 10:04:21 am by Donnywolf »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
Re: Burton and technology
« Reply #1 on January 19, 2019, 06:56:34 pm by Jimmydee »
It sounds like the players must have had ear pieces, that would be a first in football

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 19, 2019, 07:16:22 pm by Donnywolf »
I not sure it would be a first. Leeds City were probably at it in 19 nought blob

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 19, 2019, 07:18:46 pm by esdailles left foot »
If this is true, then needs reporting to the football league asap. Nowt surprises me with Clough, 'orrible little scrote.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 19, 2019, 07:27:21 pm by Donnywolf »
My story is true ... we were all p*****g ourselves laughing especially late on but I cannot think anything other than what I stated in my op ...

The only thing I could think is the bloke was doing a kind of commentary to go alongside the Video the younger one was shooting - for debriefing purposes

After all if people wanted to "get an edge" they surely would not do it on Rovers TV Gantry and within earshot of loads of Rovers fans - plus Officials and our TV / Video crews
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 10:10:27 pm by Donnywolf »

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 19, 2019, 08:15:53 pm by PDX_Rover »
Is it legal to video entire games?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 19, 2019, 08:49:08 pm by Donnywolf »
Yes I see every Team we play film every bit of a game

I assume its how they debrief their Players - and I guess they will loan / swap tapes amongst themselves. I can imagine us swapping  Film of today (cos we do it as well) with Burtons next opponents in exchange for a recent Tape of our next League opponents

I bet there is a huge industry behind such things / getting an edge

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 19, 2019, 09:02:51 pm by RedJ »
Is it legal to video entire games?
Sky and the BBC seem to get away with it. :coat:

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 20, 2019, 07:34:01 pm by Donnywolf »
Still cant get my head round this - anybody come up with explanation better theory in blue above ?

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 21, 2019, 04:40:34 pm by bobjimwilly »
I think your theory in blue is probably legit

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 21, 2019, 08:13:23 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Ron Greenwood tried it out in training when he was a coach at Arsenal in the early 70's. Apparently, players were all over the place because they couldn't react quick enough when being told what to do due to the pace of the game, and the confusion over who the instructions were intended for!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 21, 2019, 09:47:16 pm by The Red Baron »
Ron Greenwood tried it out in training when he was a coach at Arsenal in the early 70's. Apparently, players were all over the place because they couldn't react quick enough when being told what to do due to the pace of the game, and the confusion over who the instructions were intended for!

Would that be the same Ron Greenwood that was manager of West Ham at the same time? Moonlighting perchance?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 21, 2019, 10:03:22 pm by Donnywolf »

The Burton commentary included "Alan Alan - well done now push on push on" or something similar - it was a few days ago so I dont recall exactly

Again it seemed a direct instruction BUT when I looked at the Teams later I could not find an Alan ......... but there was an outfield Player called ........... Allen - so that would be easier for Players to know who was being talked to - but it would still be relevant if being used (as I still think) as a Training aid / debriefing tool

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 21, 2019, 10:23:20 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Would that be the same Ron Greenwood that was manager of West Ham at the same time? Moonlighting perchance?

Apologies, it must have been the 60's.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/2371642/Earpieces-for-players-could-signal-new-era.html

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 22, 2019, 07:46:25 am by Donnywolf »
Would be a logical step lol

Nearly every Game sees the Manager Coach(es) waving pointing at players - "pulling" them wide , pointing them to places to go at Set peices ad infinitum

I have said many times we may as well have a huge Magnetic Football pitch and then the Managers could have all the players on sticks and have done with it

Interesting though BB - wonder what happened to the concept and does anyone do it ?

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 22, 2019, 07:48:53 am by graingrover »
Who is the Rovers fan in West stand within 'earshot' or Rob's I Follow mike who is endlessly shouting match after match Gerrin to Em.!

Envoyé de mon EVA-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 22, 2019, 08:17:43 am by Donnywolf »
Personally dont know - cos IFollow is way to my right but I bet the Burton lot got some interesting "comments" on their recording Saturday

We gave them some choice (clean) comments lol

TinyPortal © 2005-2012