Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:31:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Different Seat - but same question  (Read 2012 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Different Seat - but same question
« on January 28, 2019, 08:53:11 am by Donnywolf »
For a change I moved Seats for the Oldham game. It was "different" but there was the usual banter - comments - questions and one of those was "common" to both places
When we concede a Corner we pull eveyone back into the Penalty area - but in both places I sit / have sat recently Fans were adamant that we should leave some personnel up to make the opposition keep some personnel back
Must admit Saturday that keeping Copps on Half way together with Alfie M might have worked well but I am not the Manager so what do other non-Managers on here think ?
Will be pleased to be back at home v Posh !

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Different Seat - but same question
« Reply #1 on January 28, 2019, 08:57:54 am by IDM »
We should always leave at least one player up, unless we are defending a one goal lead at the end of a game..

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 28, 2019, 09:20:20 am by Bentley Bullet »
On Saturday Oldham had two players on the halfway line when they had a corner despite us having all our players back. I wonder how many they'd have had there if we'd had a couple of players with them, or even one?

My unqualified opinion is that if Copps and May had stayed on the halfway line for opposition corners Oldham would have kept at least two more players back with them. Having players forward would also give our defenders an outlet to release the ball to one on our players, potentially creating a counterattack, instead of it ending up with the opposition back in possession to make another attack.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 28, 2019, 11:01:54 am by Donnywolf »
On Saturday Oldham had two players on the halfway line when they had a corner despite us having all our players back. I wonder how many they'd have had there if we'd had a couple of players with them, or even one?

My unqualified opinion is that if Copps and May had stayed on the halfway line for opposition corners Oldham would have kept at least two more players back with them. Having players forward would also give our defenders an outlet to release the ball to one on our players, potentially creating a counterattack, instead of it ending up with the opposition back in possession to make another attack.

The opinion around me was if we had 2 back they would have to have 3 ? I dont know why. If that is correct then with our Keeper and 8 of us in the Area they would have only 6 or 7 in there

One positive of not bringing Players out of the area is unless their Keeper comes up we have 11 v 9 when the kick is taken or 11 v 8 if they take a short one !

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 28, 2019, 11:32:13 am by selby »
  Traitor

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 28, 2019, 11:37:54 am by selby »
  We won, you should have to sit in that seat until we lose. No coming back, can we trust you again?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 28, 2019, 12:16:34 pm by Donnywolf »
I would pay extra to come back AND bring some Celebrations. The further I get away from F****e the better

Anyway where do you stand on keeping men out of Pen area to make the oppos do the same ?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 28, 2019, 12:49:56 pm by selby »
   That is a dirty trick, bribery, and you know our soft spot, as for having everyone back in the area, it would be a question of who stays up for me,  Wilks if anyone because of his pace or May because of his size.
   After the Burton game, Cloughie was on their local radio station and said they don't usually send the lad who scored the goal up for set pieces because of his pace to cover players staying up field or a break away, but sent him forward when Doncaster pulled everyone back.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 28, 2019, 01:12:35 pm by idler »
Personally I would always leave at least one upfield and probably two.
This would tie up some defenders and give us an outlet.
I would also have a defender on each post. Look how many of our goals conceded go in near the post.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 28, 2019, 01:32:24 pm by Campsall rover »
Personally I would always leave at least one upfield and probably two.
This would tie up some defenders and give us an outlet.
I would also have a defender on each post. Look how many of our goals conceded go in near the post.
[/quote
Leaving players on the post has gone out of fashion Idler. Why, well that’s something I would like an answer to.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 28, 2019, 01:40:15 pm by drfchound »
I too mentioned this at the game.
Certainly I would like us to have at least one man out.
Also, if there was a corner on our right, our out ball player should favour that side for his starting position.
Headed clearances from a corner on that side are most often headed to our right wing position( left wing position for a corner on our left back side).

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 28, 2019, 01:50:12 pm by TheFunk »
I'm pretty sure we tried leaving 3 up against Fleetwood at home. Obviously that really didn't work.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 28, 2019, 06:15:53 pm by Donnybob »
You can make a case for isolated incidents but consider it over the course of half a dozen games. Maybe 30 corners, or more.

Currently it's a weakness. Why? Congestion leads to more chances of ricochets. Collisions. Pulling, pushing, shoving. Obscuring both the keepers view and that of the ref. Panic and errors.

Then there's the psychology. If there's no outball the attacking side can confidently gamble and attack every kick mob handed. They know they can afford to foul and we cannot. A close quarters ball to hand is only a risk to defenders. Therefore the attacking side has the upper hand.

Two of our players on the halfway line mean they will hold three back, plus the keeper, plus the guy taking the kick is occupied. That limits the attack to a maximum six men, most likely five because one guy usually site outside the box in case of a loose ball. We then have eight men to defend against them, enough for one on each post and a man spare.

They might have 5 men in the box but they will not all be top class strikers. Give the defenders room to do their job.

You may not agree with this but we surely couldn't concede more than we do now, could we?

Each time we win the ball at a defending corner the less risks the attacking side is likely to take because the consequences can be catastrophic. We have the players with pace that can and will punish them.

All it takes is confidence. Occasionally we will concede. We concede anyway. But we only have to score on the break a couple of times before the other teams have to take this on board in their game planning.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 06:26:24 pm by Donnybob »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 28, 2019, 06:21:10 pm by drfchound »
Strange isn’t it that no one has mentioned that our late winner came as a result of a corner........and a last minute one too.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 28, 2019, 07:50:37 pm by Donnywolf »
Hi Donnybob

A good read with good points - I would keep 2 up on the basis of that

One thing though - which I asked earlier - if we keep 2 up why do they need 3 ? The blokes near me insist thats what would happen but with the logic showing through nearly every point you make I just wondered why you think 3

More than curious !

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 28, 2019, 07:52:50 pm by drfchound »
So there isn’t a two on two situation, that is all.
If one of our two got past one of their two it would be two on one and a very good chance of scoring.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 28, 2019, 09:15:07 pm by Donnybob »
Defenders always want insurance, particularly when the forwards are nippy, like ours. Split second decisions, plus they end up facing their own goal which defenders hate. Two defenders will chase the man with the ball in case one slips or is beaten. They have little choice. We are not talking world class defenders in league one.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012