Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:30:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Let's say you were in Grant McCanns position (as him) you were offered the Hull job would you have left DRFC?

I would have stayed at DRFC
56 (74.7%)
Left for Hull City
19 (25.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: What would you have done?  (Read 1817 times)

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
What would you have done?
« on June 23, 2019, 12:39:52 am by Canadian Rover »
If you were in McCanns postition what would you have done. I mean you had same playing career, same managerial career and same money in the bank? Would you have stayed?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: What would you have done?
« Reply #1 on June 23, 2019, 12:58:50 am by Campsall rover »
If you were in McCanns postition what would you have done. I mean you had same playing career, same managerial career and same money in the bank? Would you have stayed?
He has made a big error of judgment on this one imo.
I think it will end in tears at Hull and that will set his managerial career back considerably.
Should have stayed with us and got a promotion on his CV.
Must have been offered nearly double his salary for him to make this call. Don’t see why he would possibly see Hull as a good career move at the present time.

KiwiRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 23, 2019, 01:12:56 am by KiwiRover »
If I were Rovers manager, there is no job in the land I would leave voluntarily for. I'm guessing that'll be the same for virtually everyone on here.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 23, 2019, 01:21:10 am by Canadian Rover »
It's as if you had his playing/managerial career.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 23, 2019, 01:26:49 am by eastender »
Hard one to call, Hull are in a mess with dreadful owners no doubt about it , but  the positives are they are in the championship with a fantastic stadium and premiership training facilities , so I can see why any up and coming Manager would want to have a bash at it. Only time will tell if he's made the right decision.
The evil side of me says , i hope he hasn't.

KiwiRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 23, 2019, 01:42:45 am by KiwiRover »
It's as if you had his playing/managerial career.

I wouldn't leave the Rovers hot seat if I'd had Messi's playing career. You'd have to drag my rotting corpse out of the Keepmoat.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 23, 2019, 07:50:24 am by swintonrover »
If I had no emotional attachment to the Rovers, I still wouldn't go to Hull, based purely on my knowledge of the Allams. Most other Championship clubs, yeah sure. But going somewhere like that indicates that I'd have more interest in money than I have sense.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 23, 2019, 08:16:51 am by LincsRover »
I might well have gone the same as GM if I’d been offered a similar opportunity at a decent club which was well run and had potential to go places. But hull? Jesus H Christ! It’s a toxic mess, run by lunatics who only want a good run to sell the club, and that are going nowhere but downwards. It’s like he just took the first opportunity to leave when, if he’d waited and had another good season, then a good club may well have come knocking. Makes me think he doubted he could do the same again and that last season was a fluke? Time will tell. 

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 23, 2019, 09:07:25 am by roversontheup »
GM is a good friend of Nigel Adkins.  I'm sure he will have sounded him out about this. So he clearly doesn't see it as a bad career move. I understand why he's been tempted and I would probably have done the same as a young and ambitious manager with a young family to support.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 23, 2019, 09:19:49 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Weighing things up a couple of days on, if it was me, knowing the transfer deals I was in the middle of and trying to get the main part of the squad together for LA Manga, I would have stayed.

Yes, he's ambitious but the responsibility to carry out one of the main aspects of your job is one that would override the calling of a club like Hull City in their current state.

The more I think about it, he's taken the wrong decision at the wrong time.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 23, 2019, 09:48:43 am by The Red Baron »
I genuinely thought McCann was trying to build something at Rovers. That being the case, you'd think he'd only go if offered an exceptional job- maybe with a Championship club with real prospects of being in the Premier League in 12 months time.

It seems in fact that he just saw us as a stepping stone to move to a club that is a bit bigger but less stable off the field.

Two words spring to mind - Paul Hurst.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 23, 2019, 10:01:28 am by DRNaith »
I think, out of context of being part way through a squad rebuild, having shown I could manage reasonably well in League 1, I would take a punt on finding some area of success in managing Hull. Everyone in football knows the car crash that's going on there, so there's a good opportunity to become a name linked with Championship management, not just League 1. If it goes really badly I get a pay out and probably consideration for most League 1 jobs again.

HOWEVER, put in the context that he had started to deplete the squad with a view of bringing people in, I think it's an unreasonable point to leave.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 23, 2019, 10:02:09 am by Michael Shaw »
Even the biggest of Rovers optimists must be disappointed at the way things have turned out. We were all misled into believing we would be building a stronger team to improve on last season's results. Now we are back in an unknown land. A playoff position last season does not mean we can do as well next season, especially now some of our influential senior players have gone.

Grant did what he sees as best for himself, which is fine for him, but he should equally accept the inevitable backlash from the fans who feel let down.

Hopefully we will have a new manager in place within the 3 weeks it took to replace Ferguson, and he will have time to build a decent team. The first friendly is only 2 weeks away.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 23, 2019, 10:18:06 am by Herbert Anchovy »
No problem with GM wanting to test himself in the Championship. Ambition is a sign of character in my opinion. Where I'm struggling to understand the logic is that he's gone to Hull. Probably one of the most unstable clubs in the Championship. If he'd waited a year he could be in the Championship with a team he'd built. Instead he's risked all of that to move to a club  that, by their own fans admission is poisonous.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 10:47:21 am by Herbert Anchovy »

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 23, 2019, 10:43:49 am by bobbymax »
No problem with GM wanting to test himself in the Championship. Ambition is a sign of character in my opinion. Where I'm struggling to understand the logic is that he's gone to Hull. Probably one of the most unstable clubs in the Championship. If he'd waited a year he could be in the Championship with a team he'd built. Instead he's risked all of that to move to a club  that, by their own fans admission in poison.
Yep, that!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 23, 2019, 10:49:35 am by IDM »
Even the biggest of Rovers optimists must be disappointed at the way things have turned out. We were all misled into believing we would be building a stronger team to improve on last season's results. Now we are back in an unknown land. A playoff position last season does not mean we can do as well next season, especially now some of our influential senior players have gone.

Grant did what he sees as best for himself, which is fine for him, but he should equally accept the inevitable backlash from the fans who feel let down.

Hopefully we will have a new manager in place within the 3 weeks it took to replace Ferguson, and he will have time to build a decent team. The first friendly is only 2 weeks away.

The timing was disappointing as was GM’s exit..

Not sure how you can say we were mislead - GM was in process of player outs and ins before Hull came along.

Yes we need to get someone in and sort out the squad and quickly, but mislead.? I don’t think so..

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on June 23, 2019, 11:01:09 am by RobTheRover »
I agree.  No one was misled.  There was a process going on behind the scenes.  Grant had decided he wanted to spend the budget (a very good budget, mind) on a smaller better quality first team squad and give the younger players a chance.  That process was happening.

Who knows what the new manager will want to do.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012