Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 08:24:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Muhammed Ali  (Read 3166 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Muhammed Ali
« on June 04, 2016, 06:11:40 am by Filo »
Gone to the rematch in heaven with Smokin Joe Frazier

RIP the greatest heavyweight of all time

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

darren61

Re: Muhammed Ali
« Reply #1 on June 04, 2016, 08:36:19 am by darren61 »
The man entertained the world, RIP Ali :boxing:

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 04, 2016, 12:19:14 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Farewell to the most famous person in the world.

R.I.P. 'The Greatest'

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 04, 2016, 05:54:37 pm by BobG »
It's like watching your youth die this. All my heroes. All my memories. They're all dying. I spent 20 minutes in the hair dressers this morning, having my locks chopped by some 20 something girl, telling her who Muhammed Ali was. And what he did. She'd heard the name - but she didn't know didley squat about him. She does now.

BobG

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 04, 2016, 09:43:12 pm by drfchound »
He truly was the greatest sportsman of all.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 05, 2016, 12:11:23 am by BobG »
I think I'm right saying that at one time he was the most widely known human being on the entire planet. Deservedly so. That picture in my minds eye of him stood there, leaning against the ropes that night in Kinshasa, with his hands down low just letting George Foreman belt him will never leave me. George was an ENORMOUS puncher. Scariest thing since sliced bread. You just didn't do stupid stuff like Ali did that night. You'd die. Sure as eggs are eggs. Yet Ali did do that. And then he went on to win the fight. What a man....... Wasn't it Foreman who lifted Jo Frasier up in the air off his feet he hit him so hard? And Jo was no 10 stone weakling.....

BobG

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 05, 2016, 02:28:54 am by Sammy Chung was King »
It was way before my time, but my dad mentioned him, i bought videos, books and i got hooked on boxing. Then i started learning about his opponents, Joe Frazier his autobiography was very good, as were many of ali's, foreman's also.
This era when i compare it to now, was much more interesting, all those i have already mentioned, plus Ken Norton, and others who were very capable on the rung below them.
Ali seemed a complex character, he wasn't perfect, some of the things he said were not right about joe louis and frazier, but the good he did in the world, far outweighed the bad.

He had friendships with ordinary people, he did a lot to help people. Handing out ten thousand in one hundred dollar bills, to people who were struggling, how many would do that?.
He was always somebody i wanted to meet, there are very few people who are seen as something out of the ordinary, special, but he to me was one of those people, the respect his opponents had for him, tells you that, and people who don't know anything about boxing knew his name.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 05, 2016, 06:10:08 am by Nudga »
And now we have fools like Tyson Fury telling his opponents that they "couldn't knock a w**k out".

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 05, 2016, 08:43:24 am by Filo »
Out of all the latter day heavyweights there was probably only Lennox Lewis that might have put up a show against Ali, one thing is for sure Mike Tyson would not have laid a glove on him, Ali would have boxed his head off. I'm a little young to remember one particular fight Ali had, but I've read about it many times, the fight against Ernie Terrell, just after he'd changed his nMe from Cassius Clay, Terrell refused to acknowledge his new name so Ali proceeded to beat him up for 15 rounds refusing the chance to knock him out, every time Ali hit him he shouted "whats my name" to him

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 05, 2016, 10:10:54 am by idler »
I remember that Filo. He really was a class apart then.
They used to call it the bum of the month contest. He fought and destroyed all comers.
The thriller in Manilla was something else though. I still shudder now thinking about it.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 06, 2016, 01:30:04 am by Sammy Chung was King »
And now we have fools like Tyson Fury telling his opponents that they "couldn't knock a w**k out".

Tyson Fury isn't as good as one of his bootlaces, how that man won a title i will never know, Klitschko must have been in a trance that night. This was a boxer that Dereck chisora almost beat, who himself can't last a whole fight.
Please somebody take the titles of this classless man. Watch his opening fights, he didn't do any of this hyperbole, he was quiet and respectful when interviewed. That's the mentality of him nudga, he can't think of anything better than that, sums him up!.
I could list former heavyweights from this country as long as your arm, who would have taken him within three to four rounds.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 07, 2016, 02:09:23 pm by Wild Rover »
Out of all the latter day heavyweights there was probably only Lennox Lewis that might have put up a show against Ali, one thing is for sure Mike Tyson would not have laid a glove on him, Ali would have boxed his head off. I'm a little young to remember one particular fight Ali had, but I've read about it many times, the fight against Ernie Terrell, just after he'd changed his nMe from Cassius Clay, Terrell refused to acknowledge his new name so Ali proceeded to beat him up for 15 rounds refusing the chance to knock him out, every time Ali hit him he shouted "whats my name" to him

Lennox is one of the Pall Bearers on Friday.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 07, 2016, 08:19:54 pm by GazLaz »
People comparing sportsmen from different eras again. Though people were passed that and knew better.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012