Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 10:17:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Do we let the club know we want Al the mic.man to stay?

Yes, we say he should stay.
No, you do what you like.

Author Topic: "Al" the announcer.  (Read 6859 times)

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
"Al" the announcer.
« on July 13, 2014, 07:04:11 pm by nice one rovers »
Let's let the club know whether Al the mic man should stay or go.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
Re: "Al" the announcer.
« Reply #1 on July 13, 2014, 07:07:32 pm by esdailles left foot »
Is this a joke!!! losing players, signing no one and we're having a vote about the former stadium announcer. This forum and trust is a joke

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 13, 2014, 07:20:13 pm by RedJ »
Aye sorry I forgot the fans could have a say in contracts and signings. :silly:

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 13, 2014, 07:30:32 pm by nice one rovers »
Is this a joke!!! losing players, signing no one and we're having a vote about the former stadium announcer. This forum and trust is a joke

Mate, you don't have to vote.
You can't blame the Forum and Trust for this poll,it was set up by a forum member to canvas opinion thats all.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 13, 2014, 11:06:07 pm by bobjimwilly »

:saywhat:

if you don't like the forum, you know what to do. re the poll - it's nothing to do with the trust, obviously...

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 14, 2014, 01:03:47 am by bpoolrover »
The guy does a good job I don't understand some people

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 14, 2014, 06:27:00 am by hoolahoop »

What the hell is wrong with you ?  Don't like it then move on fella , we don't need folk like you blaming the forum and trust because a user wanted to canvass opinion.

Again you are deliberately confusing the connection between the forum and the VSC (Trust). Let me spell it out for you just in case you missed the MANY discussions on the connections

A) The VSC (TRUST) hosts yes hosts this forum F.O.C. for members and non-members alike.
B) The VSC ( TRUST) aims to secure the future of the club for future generations.
C) The VSC ( TRUST) aims to work WITH the club to this end.
D) The views on here are not necessarily the views of the  VSC ( TRUST) BOARD.
E) Every individual on here has the right to air their views, discuss them providing they don't breach forum etiquette ( standard to every other forum BTW)
F ) There are other areas that the TRUST has involvement in I.e. IRWT being as such an example.

Do you mind telling me how these lines have been blurred in your opinion and in what areas you believe the VSC (TRUST) has superceeded its general remit ?

You have a massive beef  with the VSC (TRUST) whilst enjoying the free facilities that this forum provides for you at least let us fellow users know who exactly is the target for your invective.
Incidentally I am just a VSC (TRUST) member using these facilities FOC as you do .
Finally who do you think pays for the setting up and day to day running costs of this forum both financially and in giving their time again F.O.C ?
The guy does a good job I don't understand some people
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:41:16 am by hoolahoop »

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 14, 2014, 09:16:55 am by bpoolrover »
Is that aimed at me hoola

Dixon_96

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 14, 2014, 07:58:07 pm by Dixon_96 »
That guy does a cracking job. Keep him !!!!!

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 16, 2014, 09:07:24 am by nice one rovers »
To the VSC Board.
Would any of you be able/willing to let the Club Owners be aware of the results of this poll and the supporters feelings?

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 16, 2014, 11:03:31 am by bobjimwilly »
We'll definitely pass on the poll results and comments, but I'd be surprised if they/JR changed their mind on this one...

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 16, 2014, 11:23:18 am by wesisback »
John Ryan isn't in charge so won't be making any decisions yet nor would I see him being involved in deciding on the mic man. Surely it's GB that the poll results need passing to?
That's not to say I didn't think Al did a good job.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 16, 2014, 11:44:50 am by bobjimwilly »
John Ryan isn't in charge so won't be making any decisions yet nor would I see him being involved in deciding on the mic man. Surely it's GB that the poll results need passing to?
That's not to say I didn't think Al did a good job.

Yes, it's GB who we'll be passing the results on to. In terms of who decided Al isn't doing the job anymore - no-one knows who's made that decision. You'd be naive to think JR isn't already making decisions though.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 16, 2014, 12:13:25 pm by GazLaz »
Why do fans think they should make all the decisions? It's a joke. If they want Norman Collier on the mic it's their call.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 16, 2014, 12:23:01 pm by bobjimwilly »
Why do fans think they should make all the decisions? It's a joke. If they want Norman Collier on the mic it's their call.

Most fans don't think they should make all the decisions - bit of an exaggeration. But a lot of fans believe some of the decisions could be made, in part, by fans - it's called fan engagement, and it can actually be financially rewarding for the club when they take part in fan engagement programmes, such as IRWT, which has been recognised both nationally and across Europe by supporters organisations and clubs alike.

Of course, the club can choose to listen to fans or not, or they can choose not to ask them in the first place, but of course they must then take the criticism if fans don't like it. If the club choose to listen to fans, it's a win-win!  :scarf:

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 16, 2014, 12:24:00 pm by DRNaith »

I think it's fair enough when it's us that have to listen to whoever it is

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 16, 2014, 12:25:47 pm by GazLaz »
Fans make judgements without any facts surrounding matters though most of the time. How do we know they don't have someone better lined up?

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 16, 2014, 12:29:21 pm by dknward2 »
They wont, look at who they thought was good before al came along.
changing something for the sake is never a good idea 

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 16, 2014, 12:36:19 pm by GazLaz »
They wont, look at who they thought was good before al came along.
changing something for the sake is never a good idea 

No doubt they will have their reasons. Isn't Al on the VSC board? Maybe that's their reason. 

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 16, 2014, 12:47:19 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I spoke to Al 2 weeks ago before the news broke on here and naturally he is very disappointed as he also received some very good feedback from the person who delivered the news. It's up to Al if he wants to say more. Don't think we'll be able to change anything and good luck to the new announcer.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on July 16, 2014, 01:00:32 pm by silent majority »
Doh!!

Fancy listening to your customers! How outdated is that?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 16, 2014, 01:07:30 pm by GazLaz »
Customers? RIP football.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 16, 2014, 01:15:42 pm by silent majority »
Customers? RIP football.

Really? Not treating supporters as customers has allowed the authorities to ignore our wishes and requirements for years and years.

There's an inquest currently happening in Warrington which is a case in point.

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on July 16, 2014, 01:32:47 pm by RTID75 »
One of them yes votes is mine Al.  A big shame they've let you go.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 16, 2014, 01:48:24 pm by bobjimwilly »
Isn't Al on the VSC board? Maybe that's their reason. 

Al was on the VSC board all last season.

Yargo

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 16, 2014, 01:51:50 pm by Yargo »
Did AL help John Ryan at his book signing session a number of years ago?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 16, 2014, 01:58:23 pm by GazLaz »
Isn't Al on the VSC board? Maybe that's their reason. 

Al was on the VSC board all last season.

We are now under a different regime. Maybe Al was relieved of his duties before the takeover I don't know.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on July 16, 2014, 02:11:36 pm by silent majority »
Did AL help John Ryan at his book signing session a number of years ago?

Al set up the John Ryan evening at the Little Theatre where he discussed his book and time in football.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on July 16, 2014, 05:21:58 pm by Al4475 »
Wow, i certainly didn't think this decision would create such a wave of support and points of constructive criticism to debate! Like someone said earlier up the thread - you're discussing me the stadium announcer not a 20 goal a season striker!

I haven't joined the poll and cast my vote as it would be an unethical thing for me to do so in my mind - and is pretty much a worthless vote as naturally I'd say, 'let me stay on if possible.' But that's my small selfish streak coming through! Haha!

So, many thanks to everyone who has had input on either current thread (or any over the last season) pertaining to the Matchday Announcer's role.

From a personal perspective - naturally I'm a little disappointed as I think (in the main) the team we had in place last year (Pip on the technicalities, Rob on the Music, Shaun, Jade, Abbi, Charlie, Steve, Gavin - from the club - and I all made a lot of positive contributions to the matchday experience.

So to add my two-penneth worth now:-

Feedback from away supporters (especially notably from Leicester, Watford and Birmingham) was great. Watford even accused me of being classy LOL - ironic really considering that my only personal input to the proceedings was the potted history of our visitors!

The players and management at our club were also complimentary throughout the season, and in the main our home support appreciated my efforts. I tried to take on board constructive criticism in a noble, dignified way and felt that generally I managed that! I tried to double up my role as lifelong supporter and Matchday Announcer with a balance of many things: A touch of humour, the legalities with sponsors, the involvement and promises that are involved with Mascots, Guard of Honours, Stoneacre Challenge, Half-time Draw and so on to the best of my ability (which towards the season end was not easy - I along with everyone on here was very down with the way our season crumbled after the Leeds game at Elland Road  and the way we were headed!).

If the club want to go a different way with this then I'm fine with that and wish the next fella/lassie all the best.

Over the years I've done as much as I can for the club I love, I played for the Junior Rovers as a kid, went to a Worldnet and represented the R'sonists for a couple of seasons, wrote articles for Rovers Review (remember that) and the programme, organised, presented and videoed (which ended up on Rovers Player) the JR night at Doncaster Little Theatre (and donated 50% of the takings to The Rovers Youth - a tidy sum of £600,) have forged links with the DRFC in the Community team via Eric, Richard and Liam with various schools in Donny, taken squads of 5-a-side footballers representing DRFC to national competitions in (amongst other places) Sheffield and Manchester, been an active member of Alliance, Supporters Club and the VSC (including a current Board Position), held season tickets whenever I could afford it, bought merchandise every year, been to the majority of away games since 1985, set up the 'Rovers Shirts All Over The World' page on Facebook, feathered the club with a not inconsiderable amount of cash (by our standards at least) for hosting mine and Mrs4475's Wedding Reception at the KM and generally tried to support my team in whatever ways I could.

Last season was the icing on the cake for me - it was brilliant doing the Stadium Announcer's role and one that I'd happily repeat if the opportunity arose again!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - it was both an honour and a privilege to be the Matchday Announcer for one game - let alone a full season!

It's always been a roller coaster following DRFC (I think it always will be) and to see my input causing very worthwhile debate is brill!

I'll repeat my earlier comment and thank everyone for their support and criticism over the last year - I tried to do my bit effectively (although I was never gonna please everyone) and wish the new incumbent of the Stadium Announcer job as much enjoyment and reward as I got from it! Whoever you are - have a blast!

RTID
Al
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:20:17 pm by Al4475 »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on July 16, 2014, 09:54:40 pm by silent majority »
You are a star Al! But then you know that! Keep the faith.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012