Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:11:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Just great skill  (Read 5209 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Just great skill
« on July 02, 2018, 01:26:45 pm by selby »
  It's a little slow, so was thinking, when have you come out of any live match thinking bloody hell that was clever.
   One of my favourites was at Watford probably four  or five years ago in a midweek cup game, they had started the season brilliantly, us our usual, but it was our night and we were in front in time added on.
  I think it was Wellens and Coppinger played a considerable part of that time , in a corner Knocking the ball about, playing it against the legs of the Watford defenders getting more and more agitated trying to get the ball to play up field, while giving throw ins and corners away.
  I don't normally like wasting time, but they did it brilliantly, with considerable skill that I admired.
    What is one of your moments?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
Re: Just great skill
« Reply #1 on July 02, 2018, 02:05:04 pm by Lincoln Rover »
York City away in the League cup first round maybe three four years ago. Drab match, but the much maligned Curtis Main did a flick outside their box took it over the defenders head and left the latter flat on his derrière. If a Brazilian had done this we would have seen it over and over again. I believe Harry Forrester came on at the death and snatched it for us.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 02, 2018, 05:08:15 pm by roversdude »
The dummy that Copps threw last season can’t remember who the opposition were but their player was just completely out of it had us purring

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 02, 2018, 05:11:05 pm by vaya »
Nick Fenton v Real Sociedad.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 02, 2018, 05:31:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Hillsborough 2010. End of the first half.

Coppinger gets the ball on the right wing. Two players facing him. Foot on the ball.

He bent down and pulled his sock up. Then, as he straightened up, just ghosted past the pair of them.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 02, 2018, 05:35:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Actually, no.

Gazza at Paul Malcolm’s testimonial.

Not the moment he put the can of ale down and sat on a 50 yard pass killing it dead.

The goal he scored. Ran 40 yards with the ball into the left hand side of the box with Steve Agnew busting a guy to foul him because Gazza had been making him look a dick. Then, at full speed, as the keeper came out to smother the bouncing ball, he bent his knee and scored with the back of his heel.

God-given talent.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 02, 2018, 05:36:36 pm by Dare to dream! »
Most games under SOD

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 02, 2018, 07:40:48 pm by Jimmydee »
B.S.T, Gazza stayed on the pitch at half time and took some penalties and pre warning the goalie where he was going to shoot it to, the keeper had no chance.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 02, 2018, 07:52:45 pm by drfchound »
The dummy that Copps threw last season can’t remember who the opposition were but their player was just completely out of it had us purring

I remember that roversdude, did you also notice that the defender in question slapped hands with Copps as they ran back to halfway.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 02, 2018, 08:11:42 pm by the vicar »
Every game we drew  or won late on

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 02, 2018, 08:26:35 pm by roversdude »
Yes hound even he appreciated being made to look foolish
Could add to Copps showcase the game away at Barnsley when they kicked him all over and ended up with 9 players - that day the ball was glued to his foot

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 02, 2018, 08:42:10 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Three for me.
 Martin Alsenoye bullet header towards the old wooden stand straight in the top corner.
Ian Miller demolition of Newport in the second half, 5-1 in the blink of an eye.
Greg Blundell - at Mansfield we knew when he scored that promotion was definitely on.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 02, 2018, 08:56:27 pm by drfchound »
Yes hound even he appreciated being made to look foolish
Could add to Copps showcase the game away at Barnsley when they kicked him all over and ended up with 9 players - that day the ball was glued to his foot

Another one by Copps was when someone cleared a ball from our defence.
It went as high as the top of the stand and Copps just killed it as it came down, then turned and beat the player closest to him.
Total class and control of the ball.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 02, 2018, 09:47:23 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Agree with BST about Gazza. I also remember him running with the ball doing keepy uppys while defender after defender bounced off him. Utter genius. Daryl Pugh doing a Cruyff turn and cross against Mansfield. Richie Wellens crossing the ball from an impossible angle with the back of his foot against Blackpool.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 02, 2018, 09:52:36 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Gregg Blundell at Gigg Lane in 2003. Long cross into the left side of the box. Left foot angled volley.

Marco van Basten? I’ve shit him.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 02, 2018, 10:21:55 pm by selby »
  The pace generated on the ball when Hayter scored that goal at Wembley against weeds,

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 03, 2018, 03:11:41 am by scawsby steve »
Everything Alick Jeffrey did when he was 17. That's why Matt Busby wanted him.

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 03, 2018, 07:31:17 am by Mustapha-Dump »
The season we beat Leeds in the play off final, when we played them away in the league game, I remember a certain passage of play in front of the Leeds dug out and I want to say it involved Gaz Roberts, Copps and Wellens. They were just doing triangles like it was a practice session against the youth team, Leeds couldn’t get a touch, I remember shouting ‘wow’ out loud as it was happening, unbelievable

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 03, 2018, 08:27:09 am by Bollinger »
Alan Warboys chesting a ball to Alan Little to bury in the corner of the Ross End goal v. Penrith in the FA Cup on an icy pitch. He chested that ball with as much power, distance and accuracy than most No.9's could with their head.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 03, 2018, 08:50:10 am by DonnyNoel »
Wellens could pull out unreal flicks at times. I'm sure there was a one-two between him and Copps where his return pass defied the laws of physics. Think VivaRovers might have made a gif of it.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on July 03, 2018, 09:12:08 am by selby »
  As a young boy, standing on the wall on the main stand side, the Rovers kicking to the town end, a young Alick Jeffrey got the ball on the touch line and played a cross field ball to the winger on the touch line on the popular side.
  The perfect cross field ball, straight into the stride of the winger, I can remember thinking, how can anyone kick that heavy ball that far right across the field?
  Oh to be young again. 

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 03, 2018, 09:17:36 am by RedJ »
Wellens could pull out unreal flicks at times. I'm sure there was a one-two between him and Copps where his return pass defied the laws of physics. Think VivaRovers might have made a gif of it.

If it's the one I'm thinking of (was it against Wigan he did this) it was actually a really simple pass (in comparison to what it looked like he did anyway) but he did a pirouette after it which absolutely amazed everyone and made it look much better than in reality it was. Quality.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 03, 2018, 09:41:04 am by DonnyNoel »

If it's the one I'm thinking of (was it against Wigan he did this) it was actually a really simple pass (in comparison to what it looked like he did anyway) but he did a pirouette after it which absolutely amazed everyone and made it look much better than in reality it was. Quality.

That was the one.

Also good shout up thread from Musthapha-Dump re the Elland Road game. Think it was just before half time when we were fizzing it around in nice triangles and they were chasing shadows.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 03, 2018, 10:18:43 am by MachoMadness »
Michael McIndoe's swivelling volley vs Bristol Rovers.
Again McIndoe, away at Mansfield. Ball was dead on the byline, Macca is facing the corner flag with 2 Mansfield defenders behind him. He flicks the ball onto his toe, then carries it with the outside of his boot and spins past the defenders in one fluid move. Outrageous skill for a 4th-tier team.
Wellens had a trick he'd pull out occasionally where he'd do a first-time pass by spinning around and backheeling the ball, completely flummoxing his marker.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 03, 2018, 12:34:35 pm by selby »
  I didn't go to the first  Elland Road game, and listened to it on Radio Leeds.
    Norman Hunter was the analyser for the game and was praising our team to the heavens.
     Bates took the rdio rights away from that station a couple of weeks later, and put it on radio Yorkshire, and Hunter never comentated again live on their matches,  Eddie Gray fornicating over them from then on.
  We showed them up.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on July 03, 2018, 01:10:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Again McIndoe, away at Mansfield. Ball was dead on the byline, Macca is facing the corner flag with 2 Mansfield defenders behind him. He flicks the ball onto his toe, then carries it with the outside of his boot and spins past the defenders in one fluid move. Outrageous skill for a 4th-tier team.
Wellens had a trick he'd pull out occasionally where he'd do a first-time pass by spinning around and backheeling the ball, completely flummoxing his marker.

Aye. Compare that one with Pele’s in the 1958 WC Final and then reflect on how much better modern players are than ones from previous generations.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 03, 2018, 02:54:49 pm by selby »
  Billy, you are taking away the fact that Pele was  the first to do it on worldwide T.V. and showed the rest it could be done in big games, the same with the Cruyff turn.
  They were the inspiration, the pull back at speed by Puskas, the step over on the run which I saw Mathews do as a youngster.
  To better them great, like we see at gymnastics every olympics, but to be one of the first, and inspire greatness and improvement in others, that is true greatness.
   The modern footballer has many advantages, diet, equipment, better pitches, they are bigger, faster, and it is now a far more world wide game, but there is very little to be done on a football field that has not been done before.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on July 03, 2018, 03:22:20 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Aye. Compare that one with Pele’s in the 1958 WC Final and then reflect on how much better modern players are than ones from previous generations.

I've seen several misses from our star striker John Marquis that would make King Alick turn in his grave.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on July 03, 2018, 03:25:22 pm by Bentley Bullet »
......And numerous missed headers that would make Laurie Sheffield consider a comeback.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 03, 2018, 04:14:33 pm by scawsby steve »
  Billy, you are taking away the fact that Pele was  the first to do it on worldwide T.V. and showed the rest it could be done in big games, the same with the Cruyff turn.
  They were the inspiration, the pull back at speed by Puskas, the step over on the run which I saw Mathews do as a youngster.
  To better them great, like we see at gymnastics every olympics, but to be one of the first, and inspire greatness and improvement in others, that is true greatness.
   The modern footballer has many advantages, diet, equipment, better pitches, they are bigger, faster, and it is now a far more world wide game, but there is very little to be done on a football field that has not been done before.

Dead right, Brian, plus the fact they're now playing in boots that are like carpet slippers, with a ball that's like a balloon.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012