Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:32:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Journalist doesn't do his research, shock!  (Read 2736 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Journalist doesn't do his research, shock!
« on November 17, 2010, 01:06:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
http://www.thestar.co.uk/rovers/Hayter-aims-for-nap-hand.6629497.jp

\"...the 31 year-old has failed to reproduce the scoring feats - albeit at higher level - that he did during his time at Bournemouth...\"

Hayter started 305 league matches for Bournemouth and scored 93 goals

He's started 71 league games for us and scored 21 goals.

1 goal every 3.28 games for Bournemouth
1 goal every 2.84 games for us.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Mike_F

• VSC Member
Re:Journalist doesn't do his research, shock!
« Reply #1 on November 17, 2010, 01:25:54 pm by Mike_F »
Hardly a shock but surely checking simple facts is a basic requirement for the job!

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 17, 2010, 01:26:23 pm by belton rover »
Is that total goals scored?

If so I suspect total appearances would back that up even more. For one, his wonder hat-trick was scored after coming on as a sub.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 17, 2010, 03:50:23 pm by Viking Don »
Pretty sure he was played in a more advanced role in his earlier years down there, and also think he took the pens in those days (at least he did at BV once).

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 17, 2010, 04:11:47 pm by Mike_F »
I liked this from SO'D:

Billy is an out and out goal scorer, so we play him in attack. We are not really going to play him wide right or wide left or drop him in front of midfield or something like that.

A subtle dig at Blackwell?

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 17, 2010, 04:23:18 pm by benaldo »
Unfortunately for Hayter, he's always going to be remembered by Journo's as \"the bloke who scored the fastest hat-trick\". Anything he's ever done has been a let down since that moment obviously :blink:

Some journalists really are idiots. And stats don't show everything, look at the positions he's played in, what he's been asked to do on the pitch, and the injuries he's had!!

For me, James Hayter is one of most valuable assets, like O'Connor, and is a quality footballer. Mind you, he plays for that pub team doesn't he with that crazy chairman in that dead mining town up north.  :dry:

IDIOTS!  :angry:

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 17, 2010, 04:32:17 pm by eastender »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
http://www.thestar.co.uk/rovers/Hayter-aims-for-nap-hand.6629497.jp

\"...the 31 year-old has failed to reproduce the scoring feats - albeit at higher level - that he did during his time at Bournemouth...\"

Hayter started 305 league matches for Bournemouth and scored 93 goals

He's started 71 league games for us and scored 21 goals.

1 goal every 3.28 games for Bournemouth
1 goal every 2.84 games for us.

I make 21 goals in 71 starts for us, an average of 3.38, slightly worse than his Bournemouth average,but i'm crap at math's and could be wrong. ;)

VikingJames

« Reply #7 on November 17, 2010, 04:38:57 pm by VikingJames »
I make it 18 goals in 50 Championship starts for Hayter. (1 goal every 2.78 Championship starts)
Total in DRFC career: 73 starts, 27 goals. (1 goal every 2.7 starts in total)

Not bad for a striker who plays out wide a lot, and considering that it took him the best part of a year to adjust to Championship level.

More importantly, 5 in 8 this season is a terrific record. He could realistically hit 15+ goals for us this season - the same as what Sharp got last year. And if Sharp repeats his record of 15 from last season, that is potentially 30 goals from two of our strikers - and we haven't even factored in Healy (loan extension pending) and Copps's goals yet!

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 17, 2010, 04:45:16 pm by i_ateallthepies »
'Loan extension pending James?... just wishful thinking or is there substance to it?

VikingJames

« Reply #9 on November 17, 2010, 05:03:59 pm by VikingJames »
i_ateallthepies wrote:
'Loan extension pending James?... just wishful thinking or is there substance to it?

The former, I'm afraid.

Reading between the lines, he seems to be loving it at Rovers though! So there's hope.

3gP

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 17, 2010, 05:20:08 pm by 3gP »
Its interesting as well, if you do some research into the goals we concede when \"Hayts\" is in the team. It compares favourably than when he's not!
Remember coming out at Bramall Lane last season, when he played up front on his own, scoring and giving a tireless display and overheard someone moaning about him!!

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 17, 2010, 07:03:23 pm by graingrover »
it's just fckin negative journalism; Perhaps Rovers mediarites do not feed them the right diet.

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 17, 2010, 07:28:25 pm by FuzzyDuck »
3gP wrote:
Its interesting as well, if you do some research into the goals we concede when \"Hayts\" is in the team. It compares favourably than when he's not!
Remember coming out at Bramall Lane last season, when he played up front on his own, scoring and giving a tireless display and overheard someone moaning about him!!

I looked at the goals Hayter scored for us and for Bournemouth.  In terms of appearances per goal when he was at Bournemouh, it was 3.86.  At Donny its 3.94.  hats 2% worse at Donny (in other words, not much difference).

But as has been said, Hayter is much more important than goals.

I looked at last seasons results and calculated points, goals against and goals for per start for each of the players.  I then ignored everyone who had started less that 10 times.  When you sort these results by points per start you get the graph attached, which isn't a bad way of ranking the players in terms of what they are doing for the Rovers.

No. 1 JET

No. 2 Captain Dingle  :(

No. 3 James Hayter

So he comes out the most important of our current players.  It may change this season but it goes to show how important he is.   :thumbsup:

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 17, 2010, 08:02:08 pm by Superspy »
BST you're normally cock on with your numbers, but how on earth did you managed to get 2.84 from 21 in 71 starts?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 17, 2010, 08:10:46 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Superspy wrote:
BST you're normally cock on with your numbers, but how on earth did you managed to get 2.84 from 21 in 71 starts?

Header should gave been Self righteous internet warrior doesn't check his typing shock.

Errr. I meant 25 goals from 71 starts. Typo. Apologies.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012