Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:04:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lacking between the ears  (Read 2740 times)

swain_drfc

• Forum Member
Lacking between the ears
« on August 26, 2023, 05:18:32 pm by swain_drfc »
Concentration, game intelligence. All the basic things you need to be secure and solid at the back, we lack. Olowu for all his supposed talent has very poor positional sense. Senior is a mistake waiting to happen and don’t get me started on Sotana, just deciding to stop running.
Mk Dons, top of the league. They were awful but had enough to beat us because of basic school boy errors. Actually that is very unfair on schoolboys. The defending was worse than that.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Lacking between the ears
« Reply #1 on August 26, 2023, 05:54:22 pm by Chris Black come back »
I would imagine that was the first time that Sotana has ever started a senior game as right wing back.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 26, 2023, 06:02:07 pm by danumdon »
Square pegs in round holes through necessity, we keep having to change our team and playing formation to suit what we have available, we finally gave it a good go in the second half and with some calmer finishing should have won the game.

When we start to get something like our first choice on the field we may start to see some sustained progress.

Olowu really needs taking out of the firing line and needs to get his head right, we need to go back to basics, i would seriously look to replace him for Faulkner. with Anderson to come back in again when fit, we need some simple solid and no nonsense defenders in the side.

swain_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 26, 2023, 06:02:43 pm by swain_drfc »
I would imagine that was the first time that Sotana has ever started a senior game as right wing back.

Does that mean that he is unable to work hard and track back? I’m sure that’s just a basic requirement of being a professional footballer.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 26, 2023, 06:05:38 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

And the last.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 26, 2023, 06:11:16 pm by Filo »
I think Sotana may have the Billy big b*llocks attitude, and if so needs a good talking to, he’s not at Man Utd now

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 26, 2023, 06:12:37 pm by danumdon »
I think Sotana may have the Billy big b*llocks attitude, and if so needs a good talking to, he’s not at Man Utd now

Could this be one of the reasons why others never picked him up and we did?

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 26, 2023, 06:14:28 pm by Canadian Rover »

Does that mean that he is unable to work hard and track back? I’m sure that’s just a basic requirement of being a professional footballer.

It's the basic requirement of ANY footballer. Sunday league has people with more commitment.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 26, 2023, 06:23:53 pm by selby »
  Got slated a couple of weeks ago saying defensively when he doesn't have the ball he is very poor.
  And in Faulkner we keep ignoring our best player in both the defensive and attacking penalty areas, In fact he needs to get away from this club before he becomes the latest young player to have a career spoilt before it has begun.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 26, 2023, 06:25:15 pm by GazLaz »

It's the basic requirement of ANY footballer. Sunday league has people with more commitment.

Some players work harder than others. Some positions require players that work harder than other positions do. More a manager issue than a player issue is a player gets put in an unsuitably position.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 26, 2023, 06:40:18 pm by ravenrover »
  Got slated a couple of weeks ago saying defensively when he doesn't have the ball he is very poor.
  And in Faulkner we keep ignoring our best player in both the defensive and attacking penalty areas, In fact he needs to get away from this club before he becomes the latest young player to have a career spoilt before it has begun.
Out of interest did you go today Selby?

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 26, 2023, 06:47:00 pm by Northants Nomad »
I did. Just back. And I will state my view that Sotona is a luxury we can’t afford at the moment. A great sub to come on and have an impact, but deffo a stick at a gunfight.

KingKendrick

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 26, 2023, 06:47:19 pm by KingKendrick »
Based off what? If it’s not being tactically aware as a 20 year old in only his 10th game and first game at right wing back then it’s a bit of a reach. He comes across to me as raw and just inexperienced at this level rather than thinking he is the star of the show

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 26, 2023, 06:51:00 pm by Filo »
Based off what? If it’s not being tactically aware as a 20 year old in only his 10th game and first game at right wing back then it’s a bit of a reach. He comes across to me as raw and just inexperienced at this level rather than thinking he is the star of the show

Based on what I’ve seen of him, don’t get me wrong, he’s an exciting player when he runs at defenders, but I just think he thinks he can do it all himself. Right wingback? I think Grant needs to question his own wisdom on that

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 26, 2023, 07:20:31 pm by drfchound »

When i saw the line up i was very concerned that Sotona wouldn't do the hard work that is tracking back and helping out the defender behind him.

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 26, 2023, 07:31:10 pm by Spilsby Red »
I watched Sotana at Boston United. He did nothing that warranted a contract. Head down. Never looking for the early release. Hope to be proven wrong but don’t think I will. 
This will also have people saying I am wrong. We miss Biggins. To me he works hard. Doesn’t always get it right. But there is a player in him.  Close is not the answer and never will be. Another luxury.
Rowe. Great player and servant but not a 90 mins player. Sad to say.
Hurst and Molyneux with Ironside is a good answer.
It is a forum. And people won’t agree which is fine.
Faulkner. Now is the time to play him. If he is good enough, play him. If not send him out on loan.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 26, 2023, 07:41:16 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Don’t think anyone looked at the team sheet and thought Sotana was going to play wing back. Yes lack of effort is something he need taking to task for but it was a obvious risk with him there.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 26, 2023, 07:47:36 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Don’t think anyone looked at the team sheet and thought Sotana was going to play wing back. Yes lack of effort is something he need taking to task for but it was a obvious risk with him there.

I did seeing as he played there a few games back and it looked like we were playing with wing backs.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 26, 2023, 08:14:37 pm by selby »
  No Raven watched it on TV abroad.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 26, 2023, 08:41:06 pm by ravenrover »
 :thumbsup:

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 26, 2023, 11:37:14 pm by Draytonian III »
I know he scored today but Molyneux needs to up his game more, if not he will be cast in the Harry Forester mould, skilful on the ball but not the sort of player who’s going to help you in the trenches

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 26, 2023, 11:54:39 pm by Iberian Red »
  No Raven watched it on TV abroad.

Crikey Sellby,I hope you weren't in Europe putting your hard earned sterling into the scroungers pockets!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 27, 2023, 02:58:06 am by RobTheRover »

I don't even think it was lack of effort. I think he just lost his concentration. Had no idea the MK player was steaming up past him, didn't visualise the threat. One of the things I used to drill into the kids when I was coaching was about seeing the danger. Be looking around you at all times, not just for the opposition players but also the spaces you can exploit if the ball comes your way. Sotona was caught ball watching and not danger watching. It's a basic premise that kids get taught by the time they are 12 years old.

Pros shouldn't need reminding, but I think Grant will have to do that.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 27, 2023, 07:29:28 am by Campsall rover »
I think your bang on Rob.

He should never have been playing a wing back role because he can’t defend.
GM dropped a clanger.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 27, 2023, 07:57:35 am by dickos1 »

GM dropped a clanger.

Rob isn’t blaming mcCann he’s saying professional footballers shouldn’t need reminding.
That goal wasn’t because he can’t defend it was because he completely switched off,

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 27, 2023, 08:00:32 am by Campsall rover »

When i saw the line up i was very concerned that Sotona wouldn't do the hard work that is tracking back and helping out the defender behind him.
There was a marked contrast in the the way Maxwell played as a wing back on the left and Sotona on the right.
Maxwell was always looking at his defensive responsibilities 1st where as Sotona was not. He is naturally an attacking player and it showed big time. 

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 27, 2023, 08:03:43 am by Campsall rover »

GM dropped a clanger.

Rob isn’t blaming mcCann he’s saying professional footballers shouldn’t need reminding.
That goal wasn’t because he can’t defend it was because he completely switched off,
I didn’t say Rob was blaming GM
But imo GM dropped a clanger playing him there.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 27, 2023, 08:05:10 am by Herbert Anchovy »
I know he scored today but Molyneux needs to up his game more, if not he will be cast in the Harry Forester mould, skilful on the ball but not the sort of player who’s going to help you in the trenches

I thought that Molyneux made all the difference when he came on today.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 27, 2023, 08:14:10 am by 5minstogo »
I think it was a massive gamble to play Sotona at wingback and I'm not quite sure what GM was thinking.

In the warmup the fitness coach was running Sotona through how to properly take a throw in. Sotona has ability but surely we need to play to his strengths and gradually coach other parts into his game.

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 27, 2023, 08:14:22 am by Thorney »
Don't think sotana was lacking  for effort, he just switched off in an important part of field, he didn't anticipate that the original shot was gonna take a deflection and come across to his part of the field.

The amount of running he does in his favorite position up field I wouldn't say he lacks effort, he just isn't tactically aware when playing a defensive role.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012