Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 07:59:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Fan ejected at back of east stand ??  (Read 56761 times)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Re: Fan ejected at back of east stand ??
« Reply #210 on December 09, 2015, 10:12:26 am by The Red Baron »
I stood with a trump once.

Followed through. Messy.

I'm not sure what turns my stomach more. Donald Trump or the image you've just given me!

Having heard some of Trump's supporters they don't seem very silent. Let's hope they are not the majority!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #211 on December 09, 2015, 11:59:18 am by Colin C No.3 »
Where does Trump's comb over start? I hope the clue's not in the name!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #212 on December 10, 2015, 10:34:05 am by silent majority »
Hi,

I think it’s about time that I shone a little light into the corners here and answered some of the questions that a few posters have quite rightly asked.

Firstly let me say that I decided not to post while the club were investigating the issue surrounding my ejection and that my failure to post since the statements were issued is just simply a matter of timing; timing which just happened to coincide with a period of being away on business, and for no other reason at all.

Inside the FSF we always talk of a begrudging ‘expect and accept’ culture with football supporters. In other words most supporters expect to be treated in a certain way and accept that the world will treat them in a certain fashion because of the sport they follow. It’s quite obvious with things like ticket prices, all seater stadia, and laws that exist purely to deal with football supporters that other sections of society would never accept. It’s prevalent in areas where football supporters are deemed to be a potential social disorder problem despite statistics showing that 99% of football supporters are perfectly normal law abiding citizens. Glastonbury as a music festival has far more arrests per capita than any football match played out in the British Isles and yet music festivals are not legislated in the same way. On that very subject, and a report on how low football arrest figures have reached, then this article by my colleague Amanda Jacks makes interesting reading;

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/26/football-arrests-home-office-figures

And it was against this background that my ejection from the Keepmoat was almost inevitable, because I don’t ‘expect and accept’. Enough people have given the details of my ejection that further details don’t really add to the story. I think it’s also fair to say, and I hope this is not taken in the wrong way, but the very fact it was me in the limelight has made this easier to deal with than would normally be the case. I have had numerous years of experience in dealing with issues like this and having one to deal with on a first hand basis made it so much easier. However to ensure that I wasn’t becoming too personal with this particular case I did refer back to my colleagues in the FSF as often as I could.

So, how did things proceed? Well it was accepted pretty much straight away that I didn’t really have a case to answer, I had my season ticket back and apologies were issued directly to me over a cup of coffee and a very long discussion on stewarding standards and issues. Again the view of the FSF is that stewards play a vital if difficult role in the game of football. Most are on zero hour contracts and are paid the minimum wage. Training can be very poor and recruiting is a difficult and painstaking process. But they are there for our safety, that’s their primary role, and was ably demonstrated in Paris recently when potential bombers were turned away from the Stade de France. History shows that we do need them, Bradford and Hillsborough are two cases in point, but we need them carrying out their duties as professionally as we can.

It’s not for me to outline here what steps the club will be taking with regard to individual stewards. However it would be remiss of me not to ask the club to take action in rectifying the situation so that it doesn’t happen again. And that’s essentially what we discussed. I realise that most people didn’t like the club statement, but I doubt very much if any football club has ever issued a statement that actually reveals as much as that one does! Not only does it say, in the nicest possible way, that they screwed up but that they will take this opportunity to start again. Not only does it commit to changing the training routine, but it commits to doing it in a completely different manner in the very near future. The FSF and I will be taking a very active role in addressing these issues and we already have meetings scheduled in the next few weeks so that we can begin this process. As far as we can see this is a fantastic opportunity for us, never before has a football club asked us to play such an in depth role as this. We’ve talked to, and advised clubs, at all levels on individual issues but hopefully this breaks new ground and a long standing ambition of ours will see the light of day.

To finish I would like to make two points. I never really thought of a public apology that much. I can see the point that a lot of people have made on here and I accept that, so maybe next time I would do it differently! However what was uppermost in my mind all the time was that this was an opportunity to change the stewarding culture at our club, and you never know where that could lead to. Hopefully other clubs will follow suit and adopt what we hope is a successful strategy. We will be keeping everyone informed and within reason I expect the club to let me give out details from time to time. I think that’s a fair request and one that should ensure that promises are kept. Our CEO has been excellent throughout these last two weeks and has been very supportive. Gavin has been in touch on an almost daily basis and has ensured that we would always have a positive outcome.

Finally, I would like to say that I have been blown away with the amount of support I’ve received from individuals on here. I’ve had tremendous support from my brother who has been ever present at football matches with me over the last fifty years, and friends and colleagues have contacted me in various ways to offer support. Thanks to all of you. But to those ‘trolls’ who thought it wise to contact the club and express their opinion of me in a negative way, shame on you!! Fortunately the club didn’t pay any attention to them!

And on that note I should end the longest post I’ve ever made on this forum! Thanks to everyone!

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #213 on December 10, 2015, 11:00:42 am by wing commander »
  A great post SM and if it achieves those things it may turn out to be a blessing in disguise for the future and maybe even be used as a blueprint elsewhere which may benefit supporters everywhere...The only thing I would question is back to the statement..Yes I appreciate that they are not likely to grovel for forgiveness and nor should they,like in all aspects of life mistakes are made and they certainly shouldn't disclose any internal action taken...However for my money it certainly didn't go far enough in my eyes as regards any public apology that was warranted....Yes you may have had one from Gavin over a coffee but to the rest of the supporter base who are now wondering wether they are able to take there kids to a Donny match without being subjected to the scenes that played out (as some were upset by this) that statement doesn't assure anybody that Rovers can just admit when they got it wrong....This is a family club with a community spirit nor a corporate conglomerate....The statements they put out wether this or the catering are more in tune to the house of commons political soundbites than a local community club....After all the slogan is "In Rovers we trust"...Something they really need to address.....
   As for the trolls who rang the club words simply fail me they really do,beyond pathetic mate....

Donny Viking

• VSC Member
« Reply #214 on December 10, 2015, 11:01:01 am by Donny Viking »
 :that:

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #215 on December 10, 2015, 06:22:27 pm by i_ateallthepies »
  A great post SM and if it achieves those things it may turn out to be a blessing in disguise for the future and maybe even be used as a blueprint elsewhere which may benefit supporters everywhere...The only thing I would question is back to the statement..Yes I appreciate that they are not likely to grovel for forgiveness and nor should they,like in all aspects of life mistakes are made and they certainly shouldn't disclose any internal action taken...However for my money it certainly didn't go far enough in my eyes as regards any public apology that was warranted....Yes you may have had one from Gavin over a coffee but to the rest of the supporter base who are now wondering wether they are able to take there kids to a Donny match without being subjected to the scenes that played out (as some were upset by this) that statement doesn't assure anybody that Rovers can just admit when they got it wrong....This is a family club with a community spirit nor a corporate conglomerate....The statements they put out wether this or the catering are more in tune to the house of commons political soundbites than a local community club....After all the slogan is "In Rovers we trust"...Something they really need to address.....
   As for the trolls who rang the club words simply fail me they really do,beyond pathetic mate....

I agree with all of that.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #216 on December 10, 2015, 10:50:01 pm by BobG »
You know what chaps? I think we don't know how lucky we are to have Martin at the helm of the VSC.

It would have been so, so easy for an incident like this to have been handled in so many different, and equally wrong, ways. I'm not at all sure I would have handled it well. But Martin did. I think that takes a man of rare qualities. I think we could acknowledge it a tad more than we usually do!

Cheers

BobG

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #217 on December 10, 2015, 11:55:03 pm by Alickismyhero »
 But to those ‘trolls’ who thought it wise to contact the club and express their opinion of me in a negative way, shame on you!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above comments sicken me but that's what we all have to deal with now 'keyboard warriors'.You only have to look back to see the stick Martin has taken in the past on this forum. I would not be surprised if it is the same group trying to make the situation worse for Martin.

I have talked to Martin in the past about this type of problem that he has had to deal with, even in his private life, and it is horrific.

All I can say is "Martin don't let the B****** get you down"

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #218 on December 11, 2015, 04:31:04 am by drfc1951 »
I wonder if Martin was set up by someone with a grudge against him.

DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #219 on December 11, 2015, 06:45:11 am by DRFC »
I would not be surprised if it is the same group trying to make the situation worse for Martin.

What group would that be?

DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #220 on December 11, 2015, 06:53:50 am by DRFC »
Actually, how does Martin know that people have contacted the club? Surely the club should treat any contact in confidence, regardless of it being positive or negative about the ejection?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #221 on December 11, 2015, 07:08:51 am by idler »
The club might have asked Martin to comment on allegations made by certain people. The confidentiality would only be breached if the details of these people were passed on to Martin or others surely.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #222 on December 11, 2015, 07:34:04 am by RobTheRover »
What this incident has actually done,  I hope, is show all supporters that Martin is in their corner.  It would have been very easy for him to take this very personally.  He hasn't. He looked at it as an opportunity to make positive change to help all fans avoid finding themselves in a similar position in the future through helping the club's stewards improve.

If people want to write to the club bemoaning him personally,  then that says more about them than him.

Twinkletoes

« Reply #223 on December 11, 2015, 09:50:55 am by Twinkletoes »
Actually, how does Martin know that people have contacted the club? Surely the club should treat any contact in confidence, regardless of it being positive or negative about the ejection?
JEEZ!!

neil grainger

« Reply #224 on December 11, 2015, 10:00:07 am by neil grainger »

You're joking, right?
I think you forgot to add the 'wink' emoticon

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #225 on December 11, 2015, 10:07:46 am by Alickismyhero »
I would not be surprised if it is the same group trying to make the situation worse for Martin.

The group that has ridiculed Martins comments on this forum!! not too difficult to work out is it?

I think you will agree that Martin always puts them in their place, with respect, just like the way he has done on this occasion.

Don't you agree DRFC?

DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #226 on December 11, 2015, 10:13:22 am by DRFC »
I'm intrigued, Alick. Who exactly are you referring to?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #227 on December 11, 2015, 10:16:06 am by RobTheRover »
Martin has actually received messages of support from all sections of Rovers supporters,  including the Supporters Club and DRSG. Pointing the finger at groups here is not at all helpful or accurate.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #228 on December 11, 2015, 10:34:21 am by Colin C No.3 »
Hat's off to you Martin for being able to see the 'longer picture' throughout & not react in a knee jerk way.

Your action has enabled supporters to get their 'feet under the table' on an fundamentally important issue on stewarding. As you say their "fundamental duty is our safety", if nothing else, the 'incident' you & others had to endure on the day & your subsequent handling of the situation has 'forced' the club in to revaluating the role of the club's stewarding & given 'us' a voice on how that is developed.

I'm glad that your shoulders are broad enough to recognise that the amoeba who have used all this to attack you personally with mindless slurs are to be treated with the contempt they deserve.

Long may your good work continue.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #229 on December 11, 2015, 10:38:21 am by wing commander »
    Yes I agree Rob..This is a football supporter issue regardless of groups and I would just be as dissapointed about it whoever it happened too....It's the club I'm disappointed at most...We can have all the fan engagement meetings we want but unless the club is prepared to treat fans with respect wether on the terraces or in public statements then promises mean little...

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #230 on December 11, 2015, 11:17:06 am by Rovers Return »
Very proud of your reaction Martin. You have always been a man to stand your ground for what is right not only for yourself but for many, many others even if it has caused you far, far more trouble than what it's worth.
Unfortunately a few individuals within our supporter base don't seem to have the intelligence to see what immense good work you do.

I was once close by Martin when he was verbally attacked by one of our supporters when he only asked quite politely why this person was posting untruths on a certain website about him. Martin remained polite and calm during the very personal abuse. The supporter in question didn't appear the 'full shilling'. My pal who is a chief nurse at a secure hospital said that he detains blokes like that on a daily basis. 😏

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #231 on December 11, 2015, 11:18:52 am by hoolahoop »
    Yes I agree Rob..This is a football supporter issue regardless of groups and I would just be as dissapointed about it whoever it happened too....It's the club I'm disappointed at most...We can have all the fan engagement meetings we want but unless the club is prepared to treat fans with respect wether on the terraces or in public statements then promises mean little...

I couldn't agree more. I'm still disappointed in the club

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #232 on December 11, 2015, 11:48:20 am by Mike_F »
It's disappointing that it happened but the club have engaged with the FSF to a greater level than any club has ever done on stewarding so let's give them the chance to make a bad ting good, iree.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #233 on December 11, 2015, 12:36:31 pm by Alickismyhero »

The group that has ridiculed Martins comments on this forum!! not too difficult to work out is it?

I think you will agree that Martin always puts them in their place, with respect, just like the way he has done on this occasion.

Don't you agree DRFC?

I think you misunderstand me DRFC?

Let me give the group a title "The trolls" just like Martin did in his comments.

Now the trolls may well be connected! or they may not be connected but what they have in common is that they resent the good work that Martin does for the club/ FSF and tried to hit him when they thought he was down. They seem to have got that wrong.

I am pleased that Martin has got the support from everyone with the exception of the "Trolls"

Don't you agree DRFC.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #234 on December 11, 2015, 12:40:51 pm by IDM »

Why don't you ask Martin directly?

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #235 on December 11, 2015, 05:51:20 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Or perhaps accuse Martin of being a liar to his face?

But then you'd need b**ls & a brain.......silly me.

DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #236 on December 11, 2015, 05:55:52 pm by DRFC »
Where's all this abuse come from? My concern is the club potentially giving out a third persons details, not over Martins unjustified ejection which has now been resolved.

Some of you need a knicker change.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #237 on December 11, 2015, 06:19:11 pm by IDM »
No abuse from me.  The club needn't have identified individuals by name at all.  They could say they had received negative messages without naming names?

As I said, ask Martin directly if it concerns you so much.

DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #238 on December 11, 2015, 06:23:12 pm by DRFC »
I'm referring to Colin C.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #239 on December 11, 2015, 07:01:06 pm by wilts rover »
Where's all this abuse come from? My concern is the club potentially giving out a third persons details, not over Martins unjustified ejection which has now been resolved.

Some of you need a knicker change.

Someone has made comments/claims about Martin to the club, why would you not expect them to put these to him? And where is there any indication that the club has given any personal information out?

It is interesting that you have plenty of comment and questioning over the club in this, but nothing whatsoever about the person(s) who have 'contact(ed) the club and express(ed) their opinion of (Martin) in a negative way', when presumably they were nothing whatsoever to do with the actual event (who would have been spoken to in person). So here's you chance, what do you think of the people who did that DRFC?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012