Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 08:45:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Has the world come to an end today???????  (Read 2292 times)

godlike1

• Forum Member
Has the world come to an end today???????
« on July 23, 2013, 07:48:17 pm by godlike1 »
Looking at some of the posts and comments on here then yes you would think it had  :saywhat:

Lets put things into perspective:

1) a player we were interested in has decided to join a rival club probably lured due to being offered more money or the agent getting a better deal out of it. Although I've not seen the lad play, if he's going to jump at the first sight of a golden handshake then I don't want to see him in the red and white hoops

2) our shirt supplier have let the club down at the last minute on a big evening for the club. This I am disappointed about especially as people were complimenting the quality. It would be the 1st top I have bought on wed for 3 years more than likely.

I do think a nice gesture on item 2 would be for just sports to offer a discount of say 5 - 10% to those who pre order on the day now as a way of apologising but not affect rovers cut. This to me would cement their commitment to IRWT and mean I'm more likely to but other products from them throughout the season

There's no more drama to discuss about the top two points, the delay in signing players has been done to death as has this proposed investment. Lets just enjoy having a club in the championship and hope Ryan is good to his word over the strength of squad he lets Dickov put together on aug 3rd

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re: Has the world come to an end today???????
« Reply #1 on July 23, 2013, 07:49:05 pm by RobTheRover »
Post of the day!

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 23, 2013, 07:52:38 pm by Lipsy »
As an exile, I have already drawn the conclusion that there's something in the water in Doncaster at the moment.

Good people of Doncaster, drink only bottled water until further notice.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 23, 2013, 07:54:58 pm by dknward2 »
Dammit man no room for sensible posts like that on here start being negative ffs

me i just sit back and wait if a week on friday we are still at the same point then panic

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 23, 2013, 07:56:18 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Good suggestion....

Today's events could be summed up easily 'Sh*t happens!'. Move on. Tomorrow will be a better day. 

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 23, 2013, 07:58:03 pm by Lipsy »
When JR's on the bench and PD is on the pitch, that's when we start to worry.  :lol:

Orlandokarla

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 23, 2013, 08:00:17 pm by Orlandokarla »
Dammit man no room for sensible posts like that on here start being negative ffs

me i just sit back and wait if a week on friday we are still at the same point then panic

I just thought I'd take this rare opportunity to post in a thread thus far free of conspiracy theories and doom-mongering.

:rtid:

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 23, 2013, 08:04:47 pm by Donnybax »
Can people not understand the negativity? It's not about mvoto it's the fact that we have 10 days until the season starts and we can't put a team together which is an utter shambles. We were told about 3 weeks ago players would start signing, they haven't and patience is starting to understandably wear thin

donny dave

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 23, 2013, 08:07:45 pm by donny dave »
I bet all these negative posters in the next day or 2 will be very excited by the signings we make and every thing today will be forgotten.
I have no inside info on this just my theory.
If only Rovers would learn to give us some info every now and then and not just say Wait and See, most of this negative stuff would not happen.

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 23, 2013, 08:13:40 pm by CJK »
We've not signed Carl Alford and Justin Jackson so things can't be that bad, right?

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 23, 2013, 08:18:28 pm by coventryrover »
as above.  get a grip people

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 23, 2013, 08:19:01 pm by River Don »
We've not signed Carl Alford and Justin Jackson so things can't be that bad, right?

They've just had to hold off with the shirts while they make a small alteration. A new sponsor. East Riding Sacks.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 23, 2013, 08:32:26 pm by vaya »

They've just had to hold off with the shirts while they make a small alteration. A new sponsor. East Riding Sacks.

At least it's a sponsor - according to Wednesday fans at work they've not got new shirts or a sponsor at the minute.

Orlandokarla

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 24, 2013, 12:27:14 am by Orlandokarla »
Can people not understand the negativity? It's not about mvoto it's the fact that we have 10 days until the season starts and we can't put a team together which is an utter shambles. We were told about 3 weeks ago players would start signing, they haven't and patience is starting to understandably wear thin

Of course we can.
We all want the same thing; quality signings and a top squad to face an important season in the Championship.
Where we differ is that some of us are panicking somewhat prematurely.
So much can change before the start of the season and the closing of the transfer windows, and there's no point in stressing about not having an adequate squad until the opportunity to strengthen has passed.

Now let me ask you a question. Can people not see why it's far too early (and ultimately pointless) to be freaking out over the size/quality of the squad at this point in time?

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 24, 2013, 02:56:36 am by DMnumber4 »

Of course we can.
We all want the same thing; quality signings and a top squad to face an important season in the Championship.
So much can change before the start of the season and the closing of the transfer windows, and there's no point in stressing about not having an adequate squad until the opportunity to strengthen has passed.

Now let me ask you a question. Can people not see why it's far too early (and ultimately pointless) to be freaking out over the size/quality of the squad at this point in time?

No to be honest. While we can't do anything a fans (except bizarrely demand statements), you would expect most issues with regards to player recruitment to have been sorted a week or so ago so that they could play together in some semblance of a competitive match before what is a huge season for us.

Even if rabbits are pulled out the hat (Given, Barnett, Ireland, Sharp), we're still not going to hit the ground running and the point the 'panickers' are trying to get through is the one that's some club's best friend and some club's enemy: TIME!

Just for comparison, Wigan appointed Owen Coyle on 14th June and he's signed EIGHT players. Dickov was appointed 20th May and he's made three (including Furman).

Orlandokarla

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 24, 2013, 04:37:50 am by Orlandokarla »

Of course we can.

No to be honest. While we can't do anything a fans (except bizarrely demand statements), you would expect most issues with regards to player recruitment to have been sorted a week or so ago so that they could play together in some semblance of a competitive match before what is a huge season for us.

Even if rabbits are pulled out the hat (Given, Barnett, Ireland, Sharp), we're still not going to hit the ground running and the point the 'panickers' are trying to get through is the one that's some club's best friend and some club's enemy: TIME!

Just for comparison, Wigan appointed Owen Coyle on 14th June and he's signed EIGHT players. Dickov was appointed 20th May and he's made three (including Furman).

In an ideal world we'd make our signings on the opening day of the window, having identified the players we wanted months prior. It doesn't work that way though, does it? Often the biggest signings are made on transfer deadline day, and many top players are not made available until replacements are found and they are made surplus to requirements.

The loan market is realistically where we will be looking to make any season-defining signings, and most clubs are not in any hurry to see these players out of the door on those terms.  At this point, they are either busy replacing them, or else trying to offload them on permanent transfers. We'll only get a shot at players such as BS if permanent deals don't materialize. Most PL clubs prefer to have their young talent spend preseason with them, and only send them out for 1st team experience after the season has started.
There's no point getting frustrated over players choosing other clubs over us either. I trust PD (and most importantly) the board to assess what finances are available and make a contract offer to a player based upon what we can afford and their perceived value to the squad. If they don't take it, fair enough; we shouldn't get involved in a bidding war and consequently pay over the odds.

That's the reality of the transfer market, and it dictates that we will likely not have an accurate or clear indication of the true strength if our squad for the upcoming season until the loan window closes.

It has been explained to us that it is negotiations over agent fees that are holding up the re-signing of the expired contracts. I'm glad that we're taking a tough stance on this, as it could make the difference in being able to push the boat out for that unexpected, top quality signing.

To be fair, any comparison with Wigan is hardly one worth making. We're different sized fish in the pond that is the Championship. They're higher up the food chain and our budgets are hardly comparative.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 24, 2013, 10:07:03 am by Donnybax »

Of course we can.

to be honest no I don't think it's pointless at all because at the minute with under 10 days until the season starts we have 13  contracted players including no goalkeeper. The club really needs to get a move on and get the likes of spurr and Quinn tied down. We were told 3 weeks ago these players would be signing now why has this not happened?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 24, 2013, 10:20:06 am by Wellred »
Isn't the world coming to an end today?
Or is it tomorrow? or the day after?
Or do we still have 10 days to go before the world ends?

I wish I knew  :crying: :crying:

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 24, 2013, 12:57:37 pm by godlike1 »

Of course we can.

to be honest no I don't think it's pointless at all because at the minute with under 10 days until the season starts we have 13  contracted players including no goalkeeper. The club really needs to get a move on and get the likes of spurr and Quinn tied down. We were told 3 weeks ago these players would be signing now why has this not happened?

Oy, don't go hijacking my thread Donnyb.

If you go back to the beginning and re-read what I have put you will see that there is no point in worrying about who is going to re-sign or who we will sign. The club have made it abundantly clear that they won't be held to ransom and that they will not be rushed.

Will this approach will work? we will have to wait and see

Will we have a quad capeable of staying in the championship? we will have to wait and see

Is there any point in going on and on and on and on and on about little progress being made??????????????????????????????????????? na big fat no is the answer to that one.

By the way I don't necessarily agree with the clubs approach on sigings and I do think it has a significant impact on season ticket sales no matter what anyone says. But in terms of the team ability at the start of the season. i'm happy to wait and jusdge them then

TinyPortal © 2005-2012