Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 05:34:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Newport  (Read 2806 times)

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
Newport
« on August 06, 2013, 10:13:40 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Just got their 3rd, so look like beating Brighton. Best result of the day next to ours :) I know some of you will be laughing at the Sheff clubs, but great to see a club come back from the depths like Newport and great to see Brighton lose everytime.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Pintolager

• Forum Member
Re: Newport
« Reply #1 on August 06, 2013, 10:20:49 pm by Pintolager »
Great win for Accrington Stanley too at Middlesbrough

RoversGirl1991

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 06, 2013, 10:30:52 pm by RoversGirl1991 »
Coming from a girl born and raised in Newport I'm very proud of what they achieved last season and how they've started this season off!

Proud of our boys tonight too  :rtid:

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 06, 2013, 11:03:28 pm by Chris Black come back »
Great to see Brighton getting humiliated as well.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 06, 2013, 11:10:32 pm by BobG »
Come on lads! We might not have liked Poyet much - neither did their supporters - but Brighton helped us out big time during the war. As for Newport though: fantastic achievement! Always liked Newport County. probably 'cos the best goal I've ever seen was scored by Peter Kitch at their place on cold Friday night in about 1975.

BobG

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 06, 2013, 11:12:32 pm by Chris Black come back »
I know Bob, I know. But they turned into such a nasty piece of work. You would have thought their own travails would have taught a bit of humility but they turned out to be just another arrogant bunch of southerners after all.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 06, 2013, 11:21:40 pm by BobG »
Ok. If that's your experience fair enough. It's not my experience though. Even today the Seagulls I know are a more than decent bunch.

Anyway, ha ha ha!! Have you seen the Wolves result? Beaten by Morecombe!

BobG

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 06, 2013, 11:24:13 pm by nice one rovers »
Come on lads! We might not have liked Poyet much - neither did their supporters - but Brighton helped us out big time during the war. As for Newport though: fantastic achievement! Always liked Newport County. probably 'cos the best goal I've ever seen was scored by Peter Kitch at their place on cold Friday night in about 1975.

BobG

For those of us who weren't there, how did they help us please?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 06, 2013, 11:43:50 pm by BobG »
Their problems with Archer and Bellotti started a but before ours. They were rieight in the shit. They had some very, very committed, passionate and intelligent supporters. Crucially, they had a wide range of talents available - from accountants to rabble rousers and everything inbetween.They came upto BV quite early in that last season. It was already a 6 pointer. They were crap, but we were worse. They kicked off a pretty impressive demo - against Richardson. The cops told him to leave the ground. I think I'm right in saying he never came back again. After that, some of the now older Rovers supporters got in touch with the Brighton lot. They were brilliant. They gave us advice, ideas, moral support, physical support sometimes, publicity, and, on February 14th, my birthday in an unseasonal heat wave, they organised 'The Heart of Football' for the return match at their temporary home at the Priestfield Stadium. That was a re-run of Friends United and it got a shedload of publicity. The football was a dire 0-0 draw, but the day was great for both clubs. And it was they who organised it, publicised it, ran it, got the tv crews there, everything.

We owe those guys. Not as much as we owe JR - but we owe them to this day. That's why I posted that thread about Roy Chuter the other day. he was a brilliant bloke. And it's hurt me a lot that he ended up taking his own life. He deserved a whole lot better than that.

I'm sure others can add to the story of what Brighton did.

BobG

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 06, 2013, 11:45:37 pm by karldew »
Great result! Had Newport in a cheeky bet to be promoted at 9/1 as well! Back to back promotions please!

scaley back rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 07, 2013, 12:30:38 am by scaley back rover »
nowt against brighton from here , we as fans stood together against the shit that wad given to us  when no one else cared

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 07, 2013, 12:37:17 am by BobG »
I should have mentioned Attila as well SBR. Can you imagine a demo, outside Archer's house in the dpths of Cheshire somewhere I think when Atttila stood on a box in front of a hundred or two fans and recited poetry?! The plods didn't know what to do. Mind you, his poetry always was and always will be pretty subversive stuff. He tours a lot. He's worth the money twice over if you ever get a chance to see him. Mention the Rovers and you'll end up chatting for an hour or more.

BobG

scaley back rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 07, 2013, 03:17:39 am by scaley back rover »
i seem to remember something about that bob though its a haze now mind . One things for sure though what both clubs endured was and has been a taste to come . Look at cov and pompey no matter what you think about the top of those clubs loyal fabs will always suffer . Strange though it is look how important our club is in within the community and that how our club is now a model to follow. Dont get me wrong we dont always get it right i myself had a whinge just this week , but we now have a club that weare proud of and owners who care and i for one would take that over the other 91 clubs in this league

colin cramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 07, 2013, 11:27:00 am by colin cramb »
Nowt against Brighton at all just a lot of hatred for Lewis Dunk, Vermin

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 07, 2013, 11:06:13 pm by BobG »
Not arguing with that Colin. A point I make every single time I speak to or email any of my Brighton supporting mates! He's a thug.

BobG

PS To be fair, the Seagulls I know all thought he should have walked that day.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 08, 2013, 02:31:34 am by Viking Don »
Their problems with Archer and Bellotti started a but before ours. They were rieight in the shit. They had some very, very committed, passionate and intelligent supporters. Crucially, they had a wide range of talents available - from accountants to rabble rousers and everything inbetween.They came upto BV quite early in that last season. It was already a 6 pointer. They were crap, but we were worse. They kicked off a pretty impressive demo - against Richardson. The cops told him to leave the ground. I think I'm right in saying he never came back again. After that, some of the now older Rovers supporters got in touch with the Brighton lot. They were brilliant. They gave us advice, ideas, moral support, physical support sometimes, publicity, and, on February 14th, my birthday in an unseasonal heat wave, they organised 'The Heart of Football' for the return match at their temporary home at the Priestfield Stadium. That was a re-run of Friends United and it got a shedload of publicity. The football was a dire 0-0 draw, but the day was great for both clubs. And it was they who organised it, publicised it, ran it, got the tv crews there, everything.

We owe those guys. Not as much as we owe JR - but we owe them to this day. That's why I posted that thread about Roy Chuter the other day. he was a brilliant bloke. And it's hurt me a lot that he ended up taking his own life. He deserved a whole lot better than that.

I'm sure others can add to the story of what Brighton did.

BobG

And we owe you mate. Post of the year so far!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 08, 2013, 07:47:16 am by wilts rover »
Not arguing with that Colin. A point I make every single time I speak to or email any of my Brighton supporting mates! He's a thug.

BobG

PS To be fair, the Seagulls I know all thought he should have walked that day.

They were in a very small minority though Bob. Do you not remember the booing of Billy Sharp when he was being carried off? And wasn't something thrown at him on the stretcher, a water bottle or something? Then they were all over the forums saying how dirty we were!! I also remember some less than humorous 'banter' on the way back to the car after that game too.

Yes they certainly helped us in the dark days, but I doubt most of their lot remember that or care about us, it certainly didn't show during and after that game. Unfortunately like many of our supporters, many of theirs have short memories too.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 08, 2013, 08:41:27 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
Wilts you're spot on.

Living in Brighton myself all of my friends down here are genuine supporters of 20+ years.  So they remember well how both clubs came together.  We have lots of banter too which is great, I've spoken quite a lot about Newport this week  :lol:

Theres a good 15,000 fans who have been through the bad times and the good.  Theres also another 15,000 johnny come latelys since the Amex was built who know little or nothing at all about our history.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 08, 2013, 10:58:14 pm by BobG »
Lol chaps :) I don't even notice the riff raff. They're beneath my dignity! Tbh, it's water off a ducks back. Who cares? Abuse is standard stuff. Always has been. Always will be. What's different is that Brighton have a fair number of bloody decent human beings in their support. And they did something positive to help a club they had absolutely no reason to help. In fact we were their only rival for relegation from the FL. They should have spent their time hating us. But they didn't. That makes 'em both memorable, and, decent. The rabble I just ignore.

And before anyone moans, I know supporters of a pretty large number of other clubs helped us from time to time, but they were individuals. Individuals with a conscience, with a brain to see the bigger issues involved. But they were still only individuals. The Brighton lot were a bloody large crowd.

Cheers

BobG

TinyPortal © 2005-2012