Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 12:00:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers for a late run into the playoffs?  (Read 39947 times)

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
Re: Rovers for a late run into the playoffs?
« Reply #240 on January 10, 2018, 05:34:17 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Hi Macca, This is a question that you may not wish to answer considering your plans to return to the game, but do you think referees sometimes cheat?

Hi Bentley Bullet. I have to say I've never heard of any refs cheating in my time.
Macca,Would you agree that in some games,some Ref's seem to have been Biased?
And on Odd occasions,some Ref's have seemed to hold a grudge against a club,manager,staff or player and had that in mind when making decisions?

I once read that Real Madrid's code of conduct included something along the lines of never blaming the referee as it shows a sign of weakness. You should have enough in your locker to beat any team, and if you have to blame the ref usually it means you haven't done enough.

I appreciate referees take a lot of stick from fans, players and managers but in my own experience I've always had very good rapports. Most of which I am on first name terms with. I felt that this was always a wise thing to do as that same ref is probably going to referee a lot of games throughout your career.

I honestly haven't experienced any grudges toward managers, clubs or players before. 

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #241 on January 10, 2018, 05:36:39 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Or why you threw your toys out of the pram when there was an article in the fanzine which you didn't like.

Over to you, Michael...

He didn't throw his toys out of the pram. He called out a few publications who he felt had unfairly covered his time post-football of which the fanzine was one. The fanzine has since spoken with Michael and reiterated that we were merely reporting the reports at the time, and he is welcome to put the record straight in a future issue, an invitation which he has kindly taken up. We're currently in the process of sorting an time and date for an interview.

Thank you very much for clarifying this.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #242 on January 10, 2018, 05:49:14 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Brilliant to have you on the forum Michael. I won't apologise for the pathetic, non footballing drivel you'll get on here from some posters I'm sure you would have expected it, most of us are used to it by now & I have stopped my own 'one man warring' at them as I'm sure that's what they 'get off' on.

To answer your question, I can't realistically see us making the playoffs this year, which actually might not be such a bad thing. We're not yet ready as a squad to reach the Championship, we need more quality & depth so consolidation this year then let's see what DF can do recruitment wise in the summer to make us harder to beat, more able to dominate games & be able to convert chances. As has been said before, the manager wasn't employed to build a team capable of holding it's own in League 1, if the board's ambitions for 'Club Doncaster' are to be believed, then ultimately the Championship would need to be 'delivered' within the next two seasons. I think the manager also recognises that realistically Doncaster Rovers will be his last tilt at showing his credentials as a 'successful' manager. That's the short answer!

On a personal note, you Macca are right up there with 'greats' I have seen wearing a Rovers shirt. I say Rovers shirt as opposed to 'the hoops', as we wore an all white strip with red collar & cuffs back in season 67-68 & a certain winger called Brian Usher was 'in your boots' (except they were black ones!) at that time thrilling the crowd at Belle Vue. What is it with wingers (proper wingers) that the crowd relate to so readily? What I mean by proper wingers are the ones in your mould. Brian Usher, Ian Miller, John Buckley, players you were crying out for as a supporter to be given the ball because you knew the very moment they did they had only one thing on their minds, attack at pace. You could feel your throat constricting & your voice getting shriller as they (you) knocked the ball past their full back & headed for the box or by-line.

I so loved Belle Vue for that as you could get right up against the wall, literally feet away from you Michael, so that I 'knew' you could hear me when I yelled "Go on Macca, go on son!"

As I'm pounding away on my keyboard I have a print up on the wall above me, three pictures in one mount, 29th November 2005. Rovers v Aston Villa 4th round Carling Cup. The 1st picture is you placing the ball on the penalty spot with Heffs standing behind, hands on his hips ready to pounce on any rebound that came back off the woodwork (as if!). 2nd picture is you stroking the ball left footed towards goal with Gareth Barry already running into the box to clear any rebound from the keepers save (as if!). 3rd picture is you running towards the crowd, arms spread-eagled with Copps & Ricky Ravenhill chasing after you.

David O'Leary blamed everything except the colour of the grass for his sides 3-0 demolition that night!

The picture is titled 'The Flying Macca'. Signed with your distinctive number 21 circled alongside.

During your time with us you 'painted' so many fantastic pictures. Thanks for the memories Macca. This poster will never forget a single one.

WOW! What a post Colin C No.3!!! Thank you for taking the time to write that!

It's interesting to read about your comments on the squad not being ready. I think it's a very valid point because many teams have gone up before to come crashing back down with a thud. Then it takes another 3/4 seasons to try to gain some real momentum, so I don't think what you have said there is a bad philosophy at all.

It means a lot that I haven't played for Rovers for over 10 years now and you can still remember those years so vividly! I am extremely humbled. Thank you.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #243 on January 10, 2018, 05:55:21 pm by tommy toes »
Hi again Michael
Re: your goal against Arsenal and you posting that to this day you can't see how it went in.
Well after watching it several milion times, let me explain...
The ball slightly brushed against the near post, causing it to oscillate rapidly anti clockwise and therefore enter the goal. Half an inch either way it would have hit the post or rolled along the line and be cleared by that big lump whose name escapes me. Him who dithered for Greeny's goal.
Hope this helps

Yours
Dr Thomas Toes
Professor of Oscillatory Occurrences
Mumbai University.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #244 on January 10, 2018, 05:56:30 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Well remembered on the David O'Leary front. The polar opposite of Stuart Pearce of Man City who couldn't speak more highly of the way we played our football at the time. One thing that amazed me reading Wildling is that we picked McIndoe up for 50k. A player of his calibre now, even playing in the Conference wouldn't be missed by the scouting network of a whole host of clubs yet at that point there were plenty that over the course of the next 5 years would end up in the Championship if not higher.

Thanks for reading the book. I hope you enjoyed it. I'd like to think I wasn't bad value for my transfer fee from Yeovil!  :)

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #245 on January 10, 2018, 05:59:30 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Macca was by far the best player in the Conference at that point, but Gavin Williams (who we also tried to sign several times) could certainly play a bit too and forged a successful league career.

Good point. Yes as I said in my book Gavin was an unbelievable player. We worked really well together and it's a shame he didn't come to Donny. 

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #246 on January 10, 2018, 06:01:28 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Hi again Michael
Re: your goal against Arsenal and you posting that to this day you can't see how it went in.
The ball slightly brushed against the near post, causing it to oscillate rapidly anti clockwise and therefore enter the goal. Half an inch either way it would have hit the post or rolled along the line and be cleared by that big lump whose name escapes me. Him who dithered for Greeny's goal.
Hope this helps

Yours
Dr Thomas Toes
Mumbai University.

And here's me thinking it was the fans behind the town end goal that sucked the ball in.

Perhaps the DDR - Doncaster Dyson regiment.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #247 on January 10, 2018, 06:04:52 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Welcome Macca! Would like to echo what 99% have said so far. Have you always looked for our results? What was your favourite goal/moment in a DRFC shirt and if you do go into management what type of manager do think you would be? Cheers.

Thanks StocksArmy! Yes I always keep an eye on how my old clubs are doing for sure!

My favourite goal was against Bristol Rovers at home. My favourite moment would have to be staring down David James in the last few minutes of extra time to keep us in the Carling Cup.

I think I will be a modern manager but that's not to say I won't have the hairdryer on standby! Passionate, confident and determined. My teams will always, always play attacking football with no fear.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #248 on January 10, 2018, 06:10:45 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Hi Macca, great to have you speaking to the fans like this. At risk of being boring, I shan't forget THAT Arsenal goal, an ecstatic moment. And then there was the goal off your bum in the hattrick against Bristol Rovers at Belle Vue in 2003  :laugh:

If you are going to play again,at what level do you see yourself playing at?

I don't know yet. It will depend on my overall fitness and speed. League One, Two, Scottish Prem, Championship. I will have to wait and see.

You're 38. A comeback now, especially after 7/8 years not playing in the leagues is asking more than a lot. I see your intention is clear, good luck to you with that. Are you aiming at the beginning of next season or sooner?

Hi Bristol Red Rover!

You make a valid point. You're right I am 38. I've actually been out of the game for 6.5 years professionally but I was playing in the non-league in 2014 to keep fit, and doing a bit of coaching. It's all about how fit and how quick I am. Remember I've never had any serious injuries and I've been teetotal for over 18years. With regards to when - it will be imminently. I suppose the best answer to this will be you'll have to watch me to see for yourself.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #249 on January 10, 2018, 06:54:13 pm by Donnywolf »
Hi again Michael
Hope this helps

Yours
Dr Thomas Toes
Mumbai University.

My favourite joke of the time was :

Arsene Wenger has been contacting every Premiership Manager in a bid to strengthen his Team BUT ...
... no matter how much he begged or pleaded or how much money he offered ...
...nobody would take Phillipe Senderos off his hands

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #250 on January 10, 2018, 07:05:57 pm by RedArmy »
Michael, do you look back on your career and have any regrets?

Do you wish you stayed at Rovers and who knows could of had a career like Copps who now holds the record appearances, and still playing to league one standard now..

or are you grateful you had the chance to move and experience different places/clubs?

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #251 on January 10, 2018, 08:23:16 pm by drfc1951 »
Hi Macca, great to have you speaking to the fans like this. At risk of being boring, I shan't forget THAT Arsenal goal, an ecstatic moment. And then there was the goal off your bum in the hattrick against Bristol Rovers at Belle Vue in 2003  :laugh:

I don't know yet. It will depend on my overall fitness and speed. League One, Two, Scottish Prem, Championship. I will have to wait and see.

You're 38. A comeback now, especially after 7/8 years not playing in the leagues is asking more than a lot. I see your intention is clear, good luck to you with that. Are you aiming at the beginning of next season or sooner?

Hi Bristol Red Rover!

You make a valid point. You're right I am 38. I've actually been out of the game for 6.5 years professionally but I was playing in the non-league in 2014 to keep fit, and doing a bit of coaching. It's all about how fit and how quick I am. Remember I've never had any serious injuries and I've been teetotal for over 18years. With regards to when - it will be imminently. I suppose the best answer to this will be you'll have to watch me to see for yourself.

Interesting last sentence there,where will we be able to watch you?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #252 on January 10, 2018, 08:54:12 pm by RedJ »

Hi Bristol Red Rover!

So when will Ferguson be unveiling you?

:laugh:

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #253 on January 11, 2018, 02:07:37 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Brilliant to have you on the forum Michael. I won't apologise for the pathetic, non footballing drivel you'll get on here from some posters I'm sure you would have expected it, most of us are used to it by now & I have stopped my own 'one man warring' at them as I'm sure that's what they 'get off' on.

To answer your question, I can't realistically see us making the playoffs this year, which actually might not be such a bad thing. We're not yet ready as a squad to reach the Championship, we need more quality & depth so consolidation this year then let's see what DF can do recruitment wise in the summer to make us harder to beat, more able to dominate games & be able to convert chances. As has been said before, the manager wasn't employed to build a team capable of holding it's own in League 1, if the board's ambitions for 'Club Doncaster' are to be believed, then ultimately the Championship would need to be 'delivered' within the next two seasons. I think the manager also recognises that realistically Doncaster Rovers will be his last tilt at showing his credentials as a 'successful' manager. That's the short answer!

On a personal note, you Macca are right up there with 'greats' I have seen wearing a Rovers shirt. I say Rovers shirt as opposed to 'the hoops', as we wore an all white strip with red collar & cuffs back in season 67-68 & a certain winger called Brian Usher was 'in your boots' (except they were black ones!) at that time thrilling the crowd at Belle Vue. What is it with wingers (proper wingers) that the crowd relate to so readily? What I mean by proper wingers are the ones in your mould. Brian Usher, Ian Miller, John Buckley, players you were crying out for as a supporter to be given the ball because you knew the very moment they did they had only one thing on their minds, attack at pace. You could feel your throat constricting & your voice getting shriller as they (you) knocked the ball past their full back & headed for the box or by-line.

I so loved Belle Vue for that as you could get right up against the wall, literally feet away from you Michael, so that I 'knew' you could hear me when I yelled "Go on Macca, go on son!"

As I'm pounding away on my keyboard I have a print up on the wall above me, three pictures in one mount, 29th November 2005. Rovers v Aston Villa 4th round Carling Cup. The 1st picture is you placing the ball on the penalty spot with Heffs standing behind, hands on his hips ready to pounce on any rebound that came back off the woodwork (as if!). 2nd picture is you stroking the ball left footed towards goal with Gareth Barry already running into the box to clear any rebound from the keepers save (as if!). 3rd picture is you running towards the crowd, arms spread-eagled with Copps & Ricky Ravenhill chasing after you.

David O'Leary blamed everything except the colour of the grass for his sides 3-0 demolition that night!

The picture is titled 'The Flying Macca'. Signed with your distinctive number 21 circled alongside.

During your time with us you 'painted' so many fantastic pictures. Thanks for the memories Macca. This poster will never forget a single one.

It's interesting to read about your comments on the squad not being ready. I think it's a very valid point because many teams have gone up before to come crashing back down with a thud. Then it takes another 3/4 seasons to try to gain some real momentum, so I don't think what you have said there is a bad philosophy at all.

It means a lot that I haven't played for Rovers for over 10 years now and you can still remember those years so vividly! I am extremely humbled. Thank you.

Here's another little tale for you!

Towards the end of the close season of 2007, I bought a Rovers shirt from the club shop asked them to put your name & number on the shirt with the intention of getting you to sign it when the new season started so that I could give it to my brother as a 50th birthday present, only to find out you had signed for Bristol City!!

I called & spoke to a very nice lady in the commercial department at City & explained my dilemma. She said if I sent the shirt to her she promised she would get you to sign it. It duly came back & you had written, just as I'd requested, "Best wishes on your 50th Neil" signed along with the obligatory circled number 21.

So 10 & a bit years on, I finally get to say...thanks Macca.

The shirt is framed & still has pride of place on the wall in HIS study! So there are at least two houses that 'carry a momento' of you Michael, I've no doubt there'll be one or two more!

So it begs the question, did you always sign shirts & then circle the current number you wore on that shirt next to your signature & if so....ever get it wrong?!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 02:19:35 pm by Colin C No.3 »

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #254 on January 11, 2018, 03:14:02 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »
Michael,

Thanks for your time on the forum, I enjoyed reading your book, I couldnt (and didnt) put it down.

Question:

Why did you play first half in short sleeves and second half in long sleeves?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #255 on January 11, 2018, 03:23:17 pm by RedJ »
That's obvious. Gets colder later in the afternoon. :silly:

KieronDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #256 on January 12, 2018, 11:01:35 pm by KieronDRFC »
Got any investment tips?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #257 on January 12, 2018, 11:55:09 pm by Campsall rover »
Got any investment tips?
Very clever. Leave it alone. Not called for is it?
If Macca doesn’t come back and reply to the football questions posted on here it will be because of yours and a couple of other pathetic comments and liable posts.

KieronDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #258 on January 12, 2018, 11:58:01 pm by KieronDRFC »
If he’s coming on a football forum answering questions I’m sure he’s expecting a bit of banter. People take things too seriously these days.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #259 on January 13, 2018, 02:44:52 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'm sure Michael's a very busy man but it's great to hear from a player who has had a big influence in our history. We all like a chat a out 'football' so it would be great if Micheal could join in with the banter on other threads and give his opinion.

I'm sure we'd all agree, Micheal raised the bar with his skill, workrate and winning mentality. What I would like to know is, when you're on top of your game, what motivates you to keep going?

donnyspadge

• Forum Member
« Reply #260 on January 13, 2018, 01:08:14 pm by donnyspadge »
Michael how many jager bombs can you down one after another

Cheers

Spadge x

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #261 on January 14, 2018, 12:14:54 am by rtid88 »
Hi Michael,

My brother told me at the Plymouth game today that you were writing on our forum and I was a little doubtful to say the least that it could actually be you but having spent the last 20 odd minutes reading this thread I'm pretty convinced it is you. I have to say along with Richie Wellens, Greeny and Billy Sharp you are up there as one of my favourite Rovers players of all time and I am a bit awestruck that you are actually writing on this forum. I did meet you a few times back in the day at 'Canons Gym' in Donny but never really found the confidence back than to talk to you properly.

I hope that you are able to ignore a number of the pillocks we have on this forum and are able to appreciate the nice and well deserved comments you receive from the real fans.

My 2 questions for you are....
Of all the players you played against as a Rovers player who do you feel at the time could have improved the squad?  and my 2nd question..... What are your feelings on the ending of production of Iron Bru??  :P

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #262 on January 14, 2018, 07:30:13 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Michael, do you look back on your career and have any regrets?

Do you wish you stayed at Rovers and who knows could of had a career like Copps who now holds the record appearances, and still playing to league one standard now..

or are you grateful you had the chance to move and experience different places/clubs?

Yes a couple of regrets. Not playing at the new stadium in a Rovers shirt and joining Coventry City.

I would've like to have stayed and played under O'Driscoll but I always felt if I had the opportunity to move up the divisions I wanted to take it. Football is quite a short career so I like to take the opportunities when they come. I feel I have been extremely blessed that so many managers and chairmen have wanted to take me over the years.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #263 on January 14, 2018, 07:35:06 pm by Michael McIndoe »

Here's another little tale for you!

Towards the end of the close season of 2007, I bought a Rovers shirt from the club shop asked them to put your name & number on the shirt with the intention of getting you to sign it when the new season started so that I could give it to my brother as a 50th birthday present, only to find out you had signed for Bristol City!!

I called & spoke to a very nice lady in the commercial department at City & explained my dilemma. She said if I sent the shirt to her she promised she would get you to sign it. It duly came back & you had written, just as I'd requested, "Best wishes on your 50th Neil" signed along with the obligatory circled number 21.

So 10 & a bit years on, I finally get to say...thanks Macca.

The shirt is framed & still has pride of place on the wall in HIS study! So there are at least two houses that 'carry a momento' of you Michael, I've no doubt there'll be one or two more!

So it begs the question, did you always sign shirts & then circle the current number you wore on that shirt next to your signature & if so....ever get it wrong?!

How funny I remember signing that shirt! And you're most welcome. I'm glad your brother liked his present so much that he still has it up on the wall!

I don't think I ever got it wrong...well not that I'm aware of anyway!  :lol:

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #264 on January 14, 2018, 07:39:17 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Michael,

Thanks for your time on the forum, I enjoyed reading your book, I couldnt (and didnt) put it down.

Question:

Why did you play first half in short sleeves and second half in long sleeves?

Hi One_Matty_Lucas! Thank you for reading the book. I'm extremely pleased you enjoyed it!

Impressive observation! I didn't just change my shirt I changed my entire kit. They say football is a game of two halves so I used to treat it like two different matches! So it was important to me to feel fresh going into the start of both halves.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #265 on January 14, 2018, 07:47:18 pm by Michael McIndoe »
I'm sure Michael's a very busy man but it's great to hear from a player who has had a big influence in our history. We all like a chat a out 'football' so it would be great if Micheal could join in with the banter on other threads and give his opinion.

I'm sure we'd all agree, Micheal raised the bar with his skill, workrate and winning mentality. What I would like to know is, when you're on top of your game, what motivates you to keep going?

Thank you DonnyBazR0ver. Very kind of you to say so.

Good question. There are several things that keep me motivated. The enjoyment of playing. Fans turning up week in week out to watch you play, so that in itself made me want to keep on top of my game and kept me hungry. Trying to get into my national team was also a big motivator. 

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #266 on January 14, 2018, 07:48:34 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Michael how many jager bombs can you down one after another

Cheers

Spadge x

Sorry mate I haven't had a drink since 1999 and I don't think Jager Bombs were around then.

Cheers
Michael

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #267 on January 14, 2018, 07:53:18 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Hi Michael,

My brother told me at the Plymouth game today that you were writing on our forum and I was a little doubtful to say the least that it could actually be you but having spent the last 20 odd minutes reading this thread I'm pretty convinced it is you. I have to say along with Richie Wellens, Greeny and Billy Sharp you are up there as one of my favourite Rovers players of all time and I am a bit awestruck that you are actually writing on this forum. I did meet you a few times back in the day at 'Canons Gym' in Donny but never really found the confidence back than to talk to you properly.

I hope that you are able to ignore a number of the pillocks we have on this forum and are able to appreciate the nice and well deserved comments you receive from the real fans.

My 2 questions for you are....
Of all the players you played against as a Rovers player who do you feel at the time could have improved the squad?  and my 2nd question..... What are your feelings on the ending of production of Iron Bru??  :P

Hi rtid88. Yep it's me! And I'm glad you came on here to ask some questions! Thank you for your comments.

RVP Arsenal he definitely would've improved our squad  :thumbsup: On a more serious note I think Liam Lawrence would have definitely improved the squad. He was a goal threat for midfield. 

As for my feelings about Irn Bru. I'm devastated.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #268 on January 14, 2018, 08:30:28 pm by 5minstogo »
If Nick Carle and Dave Penney were drowning which one do you save? Yes I have been reading your book 😁

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #269 on January 14, 2018, 08:33:37 pm by tommy toes »
After yesterday's bizarre events I'd like to ask you your opinions first on Fergie's outburst and whether you agree with him about the standard of refereeing in our league.
You must have come across some really bad ones in the conference and leagues 1&2. Remember Mr Singh? He made yesterday's ref look like Howard Webb.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012