Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 05:16:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Is any publicity good publicity?!  (Read 2449 times)

Red Rover

• Forum Member
Is any publicity good publicity?!
« on October 07, 2011, 07:43:01 am by Red Rover »
1 month ago, nobody gave DRFC the time of day. Even the Football League show only ever had 2 minutes for us...how times have changed! Everyone wants a bit of us!

Ok, so after they published about Lassana Diarra the other day, today The Sun published a story about Carlos Tevez being linked with Doncaster. Now is this good publicity? I personally can't see it being bad. Also being linked with the likes of DiarrasX2, Alan Smith, Gosling, Diouf isn't a bad thing either. Why didn't we do this while SoD was in charge? Did he not want it all?

:rtid:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Standanista

• Forum Member
Re: Is any publicity good publicity?!
« Reply #1 on October 07, 2011, 07:59:08 am by Standanista »
Yes.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 07, 2011, 08:25:24 am by The Red Baron »
I think SO'D definitely preferred the low-key approach and to manage expectations. There is a downside to that, in that it doesn't get the club publicity. On the other hand, it reduces pressure to perform on the players and management and means that any success is actually magnified.

I remember when SO'D came he commented on the fact that we had slogans \"Destination Championship\" etc but no plan as to how we were going to achieve them. I suppose we're going back to that kind of approach now. In the short term it will garner the club more publicity, and may even draw a few through the turnstiles, but eventually people will realise it is all hat and no rabbit. After all, people might come to see Carlos Tevez if we signed him, but I'm not sure that they will come just because we're linked with him! Let's see where we are in 6 months time.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 07, 2011, 08:41:46 am by Norfolk N Chance »
Quote from: \"Red Rover\" post=189669
1 month ago, nobody gave DRFC the time of day. Even the Football League show only ever had 2 minutes for us...how times have changed! Everyone wants a bit of us!

Ok, so after they published about Lassana Diarra the other day, today The Sun published a story about Carlos Tevez being linked with Doncaster. Now is this good publicity? I personally can't see it being bad. Also being linked with the likes of DiarrasX2, Alan Smith, Gosling, Diouf isn't a bad thing either. Why didn't we do this while SoD was in charge? Did he not want it all?

:rtid:

Yes - Cos some people will think he has signed and may get a ST

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 07, 2011, 08:58:28 am by sedwardsdrfc »
sod was promised a long term future at donny so it is alot easier to buy long term and he wouldent hav had time 4 all the big names not sure they would hav agreed with his approach either

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 08, 2011, 07:35:20 am by Jonathan »
Quote from: \"The Red Baron\" post=189675
I think SO'D definitely preferred the low-key approach and to manage expectations. There is a downside to that, in that it doesn't get the club publicity. On the other hand, it reduces pressure to perform on the players and management and means that any success is actually magnified.

I remember when SO'D came he commented on the fact that we had slogans \"Destination Championship\" etc but no plan as to how we were going to achieve them. I suppose we're going back to that kind of approach now. In the short term it will garner the club more publicity, and may even draw a few through the turnstiles, but eventually people will realise it is all hat and no rabbit. After all, people might come to see Carlos Tevez if we signed him, but I'm not sure that they will come just because we're linked with him! Let's see where we are in 6 months time.

A very fair view of the situation in my opinion.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 08, 2011, 01:39:12 pm by CusworthRovers »
I also think we are having a change of approach. I go along with 'there's no such thing as bad publicity' when you are in the entertainment business (and Donny certainly are). Everyone I know is talking about us, certainly locally, and I dare say we are going national. Not bad, when you have not won anything, not gone on a 15 match unbeaten run. Everybody's talking about us and it's nothing to do with success, which many would say we'd struggle to have at this level. Good skills.

I'm sure there may be a few locals who will want to know what all the shouting is about and may even say.....'hello, hello what's all this shouting. We'll have no trouble here.
Let's face it we've struggled for fans when we are at our best position in many a  years, so a different approach is possibly needed.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 08, 2011, 01:51:35 pm by benaldo »
While there used to be a touch of \"all hat and no rabbit\" at least this time there has been a whiff of rabbit in the one decent signing we've made in the past week.

I can't ever remember Rovers \"being linked\" with the level of players they have been since Saunders has arrived (ok, so the Tevez link is a joke).

Publicity in this respect is most definately positive, have you noticed the numbers of people visiting this site since Saunders joined? It's a huge leap forward I think?

Having said all that though, I really hope the board follow up on some of their promises or a hell of a lot of fans will probably jump ship. There's not many things worse than being promised great signings and good times only to find nothing and failure.

Still, time will tell and at least Illunga has signed. Which is a damn sight more of a quality defender than SOD ever managed to sign in 5 years isn't it?!

Ultimately, the buzz of recent weeks is attractive to floating supporters, which means more money, better signings, even better results etc etc. Much more of a drive forwards than SODs wet lettuce approach, which was akin to sitting in drizzle for a few hours while someone hit you in the face with wet sponges, while eating porridge.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 08, 2011, 01:58:32 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=189912
While there used to be a touch of \"all hat and no rabbit\" at least this time there has been a whiff of rabbit in the one decent signing we've made in the past week.

I can't ever remember Rovers \"being linked\" with the level of players they have been since Saunders has arrived (ok, so the Tevez link is a joke).

Publicity in this respect is most definately positive, have you noticed the numbers of people visiting this site since Saunders joined? It's a huge leap forward I think?

Having said all that though, I really hope the board follow up on some of their promises or a hell of a lot of fans will probably jump ship. There's not many things worse than being promised great signings and good times only to find nothing and failure.

Still, time will tell and at least Illunga has signed. Which is a damn sight more of a quality defender than SOD ever managed to sign in 5 years isn't it?!

Ultimately, the buzz of recent weeks is attractive to floating supporters, which means more money, better signings, even better results etc etc. Much more of a drive forwards than SODs wet lettuce approach, which was akin to sitting in drizzle for a few hours while someone hit you in the face with wet sponges, while eating porridge.

Are we excluding Mills and Friend?

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 08, 2011, 02:01:22 pm by benaldo »
Apologies!!

Obviously Mills.
Jury still out on Friend.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 08, 2011, 02:57:05 pm by graingrover »
It may be simply that we have employed Peter Catt to give us some media exposure .. The media does not go seeking you .... you go seeking the media!

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 08, 2011, 03:14:47 pm by benaldo »
Well, if Peter Catt has told the sun that tevezmight come to Rovers he needs a good kick on the arse. There's building \"interest\" and there's lying to the public in order to get them to part with their money. If some decent signings aren't made now and Catt (therefore the club) has been behind the hype they'll have a riot on their hands.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 08, 2011, 03:18:14 pm by graingrover »
Benaldo ... I always consider you to be a bit street wise mate !

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 08, 2011, 04:17:23 pm by AbsolutDRFC »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=189916
Apologies!!

Obviously Mills.

You forgot Sam Hird ;)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 08, 2011, 04:22:52 pm by Jonathan »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=189916
Apologies!!

Obviously Mills.

and Shackell? He wasn't bad either. Infact Ward was pretty good too. Tommy Spurr's had a solid start to the season and it's a blow to lose him for such a long time.

I wouldn't like to say we've made a better signing than the above until I've seen him play, although Illunga is an established player and very much the calibre of player that should cover the absence of Spurr.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 08, 2011, 05:44:28 pm by benaldo »
Considering he's played at a far higher level than any of our previous defenders...including even Hird.....I would venture that he's the got the best CV of any defender to come to Rovers for many a year.

But, like I posted somewhere else on here, one defender does not a summer make. Especially if you've promised a hat full of swallows to us plebs.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 08, 2011, 06:36:26 pm by graingrover »
Ernie or Barry ?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012