Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 07:28:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Cricket or Tennis?  (Read 6663 times)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: Cricket or Tennis?
« Reply #90 on July 15, 2019, 02:25:16 pm by idler »
Love Island,Big Brother, Towie etc. also get a lot of viewers watching but who in their right minds would watch dross like that?😳

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on July 15, 2019, 03:19:05 pm by redarmy82 »
Yes. Like I said. It says it all about the viewers.

I'm very impressed with high level tennis by the way. No axe to grind there. But as a spectacle, involving far more facets of human endeavour, cricket knocks it into a cocked hat.

If more people want their entertainment served up in easier-to-dugest form, that's fine. I have no problem with that. I just don't see the need to abuse A to show your enjoyment of B.

But your quip at the viewers is nothing more than an insult.
Do a poll of your uni students, maybe.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 03:31:15 pm by redarmy82 »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on July 15, 2019, 03:28:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
No it's not an insult. It's a pretty unarguable fact that cricket is more multi-facetted than tennis. Both are enjoyable but in different ways.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on July 15, 2019, 03:31:51 pm by redarmy82 »
No it's not an insult. It's a pretty unarguable fact that cricket is more multi-facetted than tennis. Both are enjoyable but in different ways.

Not at all.
List me the elements that go into a game of tennis compared with cricket, then come back to me.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on July 15, 2019, 04:05:10 pm by scawsby steve »
What on Earth happened to the maxim "Each to their own"?

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on July 15, 2019, 04:19:02 pm by Boomstick »
Yes. Like I said. It says it all about the viewers.

I'm very impressed with high level tennis by the way. No axe to grind there. But as a spectacle, involving far more facets of human endeavour, cricket knocks it into a cocked hat.

If more people want their entertainment served up in easier-to-dugest form, that's fine. I have no problem with that. I just don't see the need to abuse A to show your enjoyment of B.

Aye OK then, 10 million plus people have a different opinion to you, so they must be wrong.
Jesus wept!

Claiming cricket has far more facets of human endeavour is laughable, and shows your lack of knowledge of sport.

The 1 thing that cricket might, might have over tennis is the tactical nous that goes into it. But thats it, and only just.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on July 15, 2019, 04:59:54 pm by IDM »
Both sports are very different, band very popular.. some folks like the one, others both.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on July 15, 2019, 05:02:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

I'm not belittling tennis because the best players are wonderful sportsmen. I watched the Nadal-Federer semi and was enraptured. That was sport at the highest level.

But there are aspects to cricket which tennis doesn't have. There's no question of that.

Physical intimidation is the biggest issue. You have 300milliseconds between the ball leaving a fast bowler's hand and flying past your nose. And the batsman has to choose self-defence, played defence or played attack in that time.

I've played in a Doncaster League match in which a player was taken to hospital unconscious with a fractured skull. I've had my own nose put across my face. Those aspects aren't present in tennis and they bring a whole world of other issues into the game.

I'm not trying to belittle tennis in the slightest. Just answering someone who is dismissing cricket.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on July 16, 2019, 11:17:47 pm by RedRover45 »
I surely can't be the only person in the country that kept switching channels frequently at appropriate moments to watch both. Incidentally I would give the cricket 100/100 and the tennis 99/100 but that's just my opinion. Disagree or not, I couldn't care less.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on July 16, 2019, 11:32:55 pm by drfchound »
I surely can't be the only person in the country that kept switching channels frequently at appropriate moments to watch both. Incidentally I would give the cricket 100/100 and the tennis 99/100 but that's just my opinion. Disagree or not, I couldn't care less.

RR45, I was also channel hopping.
About an hour before the end of the two matches I got the feeling that they would both finish at exactly the same time and I was beginning to wonder which game I would favour.
I decided that it would have to be the cricket, simply because it was England in a WC final.
As we know, the tennis finished slightly earlier so I got to watch the last bit of the cricket without having to flick back over to Wimbledon.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on July 16, 2019, 11:36:38 pm by RedRover45 »

RR45, I was also channel hopping.
About an hour before the end of the two matches I got the feeling that they would both finish at exactly the same time and I was beginning to wonder which game I would favour.
I decided that it would have to be the cricket, simply because it was England in a WC final.
As we know, the tennis finished slightly earlier so I got to watch the last bit of the cricket without having to flick back over to Wimbledon.
Ditto mate. I had the added complication that the missus kept shouting that the Sunday dinner was on the kitchen table getting cold 😁

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on July 17, 2019, 12:56:17 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I had both on. Cricket on the telly and the tennis on my phone.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on July 17, 2019, 09:02:18 am by IDM »
I had the cricket on the radio whilst watching no. F1..

Had neither been on, I may have watched the tennis too..

TinyPortal © 2005-2012