Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:19:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Get It Off Your Chest  (Read 1231 times)

mugnapper

• Forum Member
Re: Get It Off Your Chest
« Reply #30 on February 10, 2024, 04:04:31 pm by mugnapper »
Football commentators who say 'Frame of the goal' instead of bar or post.
Football managers who use 'football club' in interviews instead of club. ie 'It's a nasty injury but everyone at the football club wishes him well'. We know it's a chuffing football club as you are a football manager being interviewed by a football commentator for a football programme watched by people who like football!!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

welloffside

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on February 10, 2024, 04:55:31 pm by welloffside »

Filo,

I read recently (I think it may have been Bill Bryson) That the 'World' series was named for the original sponsor, an American newspaper 'The World'. It was never intended to imply world  championship.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on February 10, 2024, 06:34:29 pm by Donnywolf »
My bad, i have seen it used on here. Sounds like a stereotypical cartoon caveman.

I believe BB used it very recently  ;) :lol:

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on February 10, 2024, 06:55:31 pm by Donnywolf »
Soccer, it’s Football you colonial t**ts!

Baseball, is Rounders

American Football is throwing a ball while fouling everyone

Baseball World Series is the American Championship

Baseball World Series was won twice in a row by Toronto Blue Jays

Name dropping , I was in Las Vegas and was watching the World Series Final. Atlanta Braves got whoo whoos every time they did anything such as pick up the ball and throw it in to back stop or a Base. Or if the Pitcher beat the Batter with some trick ball

In contrast Toronto could have the Ball to Mars or Jupiter and it was not even get a response other that total silence. I watched for half an hour before asking a friendly yank why the disparity

Easy he said its the World Series and we dont want THEM to win it. Toronto gained a new fan immediately. It was a challenge initially cheering in the right places but I was hooked for exactly his reason and I wanted THEM to win

I went home a couple of days later and watched for the results and eventually Blue Jays prevailed as World Champs and did it again the following year - I was ecstatic

Then probably later that year I was touring New England and went to Niagara. I noticed Blue Jays were at Home to Oakland As and asked the Receptionist if getting Tickets would be easy and she said Yes and gave me the best way to get there etc

I told her my story above and she said yes its amazing that Buffalo people were always in Toronto shopping and Torontarians reciprocated shopping in Buffalo but she said when Atlanta met the Blue Jays the Buffalo people became Atlanta fans even though they were 900 miles away as against under a 100

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on February 10, 2024, 07:27:48 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Comedians, especially when listening to a fellow comedian, throwing their heads back and proceeding to give one massive clap of the hands in uncontrollable laughter.

Pretentious b*llocks.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on February 10, 2024, 07:38:51 pm by idler »
School proms. What happened to school disco and getting hammered on Kestrel lager?

Kestrel Lager, I remember that, who made it and how long since ??

No idea but Brian Lee's shop on Balby road had no problem selling to us 14/15/16 year olds.

Great days playing cuppies on Westfield park at 10pm pissed.
Used to go in there every day when I lived on Queen St.
Got quite friendly with Brian and his wife.

He had these big ovens at the back of the shop where they cooked massive lumps of ham and beef.
Did you go in the old Prince Of Wales on Queen Street Tommy?
I was a regular in there between 1966 and 1970.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on February 10, 2024, 08:48:40 pm by tommy toes »
Yes I did, Idler though moved to Queen St. in 78 left in 81 when we bought a house.
Did you know Granville?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on February 10, 2024, 09:13:33 pm by idler »
Yes I did, Idler though moved to Queen St. in 78 left in 81 when we bought a house.
Did you know Granville?
The name rings a bell. I used to live in St. Catherine’s Ave. My gran was born in 56 Queen St. and the house was lived in by her family from being built to being demolished in 1970 I think.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on February 10, 2024, 09:21:07 pm by Nudga »
Did you know Granville?
The name rings a bell. I used to live in St. Catherine’s Ave. My gran was born in 56 Queen St. and the house was lived in by her family from being built to being demolished in 1970 I think.

I lived on St Catherine's avenue. Peglars chimney was directly behind my bedroom window.
There was a regular whooshing sound that came from the factory that I found quite soothing. When I moved out and got my own place, I couldn't sleep properly because I missed the noise.
Weird that eh.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on February 10, 2024, 09:28:12 pm by tommy toes »
Did you know Granville?

I lived on St Catherine's avenue. Peglars chimney was directly behind my bedroom window.
There was a regular whooshing sound that came from the factory that I found quite soothing. When I moved out and got my own place, I couldn't sleep properly because I missed the noise.
Weird that eh.
We could hear the trains when in bed at night and the noise from Peglers. Yes it was disarmingly quiet when we moved to a cul de sac with no noise.
Also they were filming Open All Hours when we lived there and we often saw the glare from the lights on Lister Ave when they were filming at night.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 10, 2024, 09:38:20 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Agreed, my grandchildren now ask for cookies, they're biscuits!!
Easy, just say I've got none and grab yourself a jammy dodger.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on February 10, 2024, 09:54:01 pm by idler »
Did you know Granville?

Weird that eh.
We could hear the trains when in bed at night and the noise from Peglers. Yes it was disarmingly quiet when we moved to a cul de sac with no noise.
Also they were filming Open All Hours when we lived there and we often saw the glare from the lights on Lister Ave when they were filming at night.
I lived at 49, next door but one to the fish shop from being born in 1948 until getting married in 1972. The noise could be horrendous in summer when they had the windows open on nights. You got used to it though. The train noise was worse as well before Peglers built on the allotments.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 10, 2024, 10:13:17 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Fanny pack - Wikipedia
A waist bag, fanny pack, belt bag, moon bag, belly bag (American English), or bumbag (British English) is a small fabric pouch worn like a belt around the waist by use of a strap above the hips that is secured usually with some sort of buckle. The straps sometimes have tri-glide slides, making them adjustable in order

they called if a "fanny bag" when i heard it on the radio

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on February 10, 2024, 10:37:46 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Not sure which is the scariest, a wolf pack or a fanny pack  :chair:

BahrainRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on February 11, 2024, 01:33:32 am by BahrainRover »
Going on Vacation.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on February 11, 2024, 02:50:00 am by Bristol Red Rover »
Ismo has some fab takes on US language.
Here he doesn't know shit.
https://youtu.be/igh9iO5BxBo?si=CEGwxql6k3v3LNtk

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on February 11, 2024, 03:17:30 am by SydneyRover »
Stadium instead of Ground, huh?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on February 11, 2024, 07:40:44 am by Donnywolf »
Football commentators who say 'Frame of the goal' instead of bar or post.

Agree , and I have posted this times many .

Commentators who say " he just about ...." and add kept that out if it's a keeper saving a shot , or kept that in if a player prevented a ball going for a throw or a corner

In truth the keeper didn't just about keep it out . He actually kept it out.

In truth the player didn't just about keep the ball in he actually kept the ball in

Frame of the goal , yes I'm right there with you and would also throw in " just about to pull the trigger"

Whatever happened to shoot ?

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on February 11, 2024, 09:00:29 am by Not Now Kato »
I positively hate the word gotten!

America and Britain, two countries separated by a common language.

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on February 11, 2024, 09:55:33 am by TonySoprano »
When they say "I could care less "
Meaning they couldn't care less !!!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on February 11, 2024, 10:32:17 am by Bentley Bullet »
"Cheap at half the price." What's that all about?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on February 11, 2024, 08:35:06 pm by ravenrover »
Get in the hole

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on February 11, 2024, 08:35:59 pm by SydneyRover »
See ya rather than fare thee well

ravenrover

• VSC Member