Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 06:45:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Covid - 19 the non-political thread  (Read 8695 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Covid - 19 the non-political thread
« Reply #120 on June 17, 2020, 02:22:51 pm by silent majority »
Some good news for the UK today, but not necessarily for the rest of the world, even Germany is struggling in places, see BBC here;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-53074389

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on June 17, 2020, 03:50:48 pm by drfchound »
Yeah I saw that this morning.
Good news indeed.
I think I also heard it said that it is hopeful that we will have a vaccine ready by springtime.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on June 17, 2020, 04:09:15 pm by silent majority »
Yeah I saw that this morning.
Good news indeed.
I think I also heard it said that it is hopeful that we will have a vaccine ready by springtime.

I've been watching Bloomberg for market information and its interesting to see the share prices of those companies putting out positive information start to climb considerably. Astrazeneca, who've said the vaccine could be ready by springtime, has seen its share price rise by £400 this month.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on June 17, 2020, 04:19:15 pm by scawsby steve »
Springtime? We can basically say then that next season's f*cked. Especially for Leagues 1 and 2.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on June 17, 2020, 04:23:39 pm by silent majority »
Springtime? We can basically say then that next season's f*cked. Especially for Leagues 1 and 2.

There'll be the opportunity to see live football. Not sure on the numbers but it will be possible.

The talk in all quarters some weeks ago was that attending itself wouldn't be the biggest risk area, travelling to and from on public transport would be that.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on June 17, 2020, 04:27:08 pm by scawsby steve »

There'll be the opportunity to see live football. Not sure on the numbers but it will be possible.

The talk in all quarters some weeks ago was that attending itself wouldn't be the biggest risk area, travelling to and from on public transport would be that.

I'll be OK then Martin. I always walk to the Keepmoat and back.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #126 on June 19, 2020, 09:45:22 am by Mike_F »
On a broadly Covid related theme, I was musing last night on the effect that lockdown/social distancing may have had on numerous other infectious diseases while we've had the spotlight on Covid-19.

Could we have eradicated or at least seriously depleted the spread of other viruses like SARS, MERS or any number of other less serious infectious diseases as a by-product of our anti Covid measures? It'll be interesting to see if this is the case over coming months and years.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on June 19, 2020, 11:26:35 am by silent majority »
On a broadly Covid related theme, I was musing last night on the effect that lockdown/social distancing may have had on numerous other infectious diseases while we've had the spotlight on Covid-19.

Could we have eradicated or at least seriously depleted the spread of other viruses like SARS, MERS or any number of other less serious infectious diseases as a by-product of our anti Covid measures? It'll be interesting to see if this is the case over coming months and years.

The flu figures are down as well Mike, pretty obvious really. But it does fuel the conspiracy theorists who assume that we're manipulating the figures.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #128 on June 19, 2020, 12:39:00 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

It's fascinating that I haven't had so much as a sniffle since the lockdown started. I usually have a cold or a sore throat every few months, but not even the merest hint of one over the past 3 months.

nightporter

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on June 19, 2020, 01:08:45 pm by nightporter »
Apparently Chlamydia infections are down too.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #130 on June 19, 2020, 01:29:27 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

It's fascinating that I haven't had so much as a sniffle since the lockdown started. I usually have a cold or a sore throat every few months, but not even the merest hint of one over the past 3 months.

Every few weeks in my case, always the joke that I'm ill for a change....  Been illness free pretty much for months.  The advantage of avoiding transport, work and generally other people.  On the flip side, that may mean a knock on effect for immunity in future?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on June 19, 2020, 02:33:47 pm by ravenrover »
Grandaughters managed to pick up thread worm she hasn't been in touch with anyone out of the family.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012