Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 12:55:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: No Brexit Extension  (Read 94414 times)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: No Brexit Extension
« Reply #390 on June 12, 2020, 09:01:12 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
go to bed, it has been a hard day for you.

Aye. Untangling ignorant posts does take it out of you.

What was it Barnier said again?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #391 on June 12, 2020, 09:24:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Well, it's official. The maniacs who call themselves The Government have confirmed that there will be no extension to the transition period.

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-formally-rejects-brexit-transition-period-extension/amp/

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #392 on June 12, 2020, 10:08:43 pm by wilts rover »
Yes, quite right too. As Starmer said and we have been repeated on this thread, Johnson has said he has his oven ready deal, right there to turn up to gas mark 6 in his electric oven and get it sorted by 31st December. And with his past history why would anyone doubt him?

I can't get anyone to tell me what should be in it tho? Something about gun-running I think - which is up there with lower nuclear safety and greater access to money laundering as things I didn't expect to be a benefit of Brexit, but there you go.

Lets hope they can think of something by 30th December or it will be a thin old deal.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #393 on June 12, 2020, 11:07:47 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Gove has said today that we are not having an extension to the transition period because we need to take back control of our borders.

He then went on to say that we won't be implementing customs checks on goods coming in from the EU when the transition period ends. The EU have said they will have customs checks for British goods going into the EU from 1/1/21.

It's late and I'm tired, but that sounds to me like the EU taking control of one part of our border and the UK shrugging it's shoulders and saying we can't do the same.

I'm sure one of our Government fans can explain the logic I'm not getting.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #394 on June 18, 2020, 09:32:46 am by Not Now Kato »
Gove has said today that we are not having an extension to the transition period because we need to take back control of our borders.

He then went on to say that we won't be implementing customs checks on goods coming in from the EU when the transition period ends. The EU have said they will have customs checks for British goods going into the EU from 1/1/21.

It's late and I'm tired, but that sounds to me like the EU taking control of one part of our border and the UK shrugging it's shoulders and saying we can't do the same.

It seems the government are spending £4.5M with media agency MullenLowe London explaining it all to us....

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-government-preparing-shock-and-awe-brexit-media-campaign/

I found the following statement within it quite interesting....  'Meanwhile, Brexit voters are “less likely to prepare as they don’t believe in any potential negative consequences of leaving.'  Whatever happened to those sunny uplands you leavers promised us?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #395 on June 18, 2020, 11:20:09 am by SydneyRover »
I find it disturbing that the government the very same organisation that pursuaded people to accept the shit for brains idea that brexit was at all credible are now saying that those very same people cannot discern that there were any consequences of making that decision.  :)

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #396 on June 18, 2020, 11:36:06 am by Not Now Kato »
Here's one....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN4wdAN9I10

How are we surviving without Tim Tams?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #397 on June 18, 2020, 12:35:13 pm by SydneyRover »
Another distraction? he's got time to make choc bar ads while the country is struggling .............

TimTams are now owned by an american company

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #398 on June 18, 2020, 01:10:24 pm by Pancho Regan »
Brilliant comment further down that link:

"Its like having David Brent as PM"

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #399 on June 18, 2020, 01:11:15 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
On the contrary my wife loves them...  We also do sometimes buy a few things we liked from New Zealand and it's far too expensive, has to be a positive (just so I can get my favourite chocolate if nothing else).

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #400 on June 18, 2020, 01:49:35 pm by Not Now Kato »
And this is what the Financial Times thinks what life will be like post Brexit.  Leavers, especially, should read it; it's what you've condemned us to!

https://www.super155.com/britain-gets-a-glimpse-of-life-after-brexit/.html

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #401 on June 18, 2020, 02:08:02 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

There was an interesting little statistic pointed out in the new issue of Private Eye:

New Customs agents required to deal with additional bureaucracy after end of transition period:

Total number of staff employed by the 'bureaucratic' European Commission:

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #402 on June 18, 2020, 04:39:20 pm by wilts rover »
On the contrary my wife loves them...  We also do sometimes buy a few things we liked from New Zealand and it's far too expensive, has to be a positive (just so I can get my favourite chocolate if nothing else).

You do know we don't actually need a Free Trade Agreement to lower the tariff on biscuits. We can, just do it:

https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1273242328564727809

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #403 on June 18, 2020, 06:19:26 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

You do know we don't actually need a Free Trade Agreement to lower the tariff on biscuits. We can, just do it:

https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1273242328564727809

That says nothing about how you can 'do it'.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #404 on June 19, 2020, 01:56:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Right. NOW I get why Johnson has insisted that there will be no border checks between NI and GB, despite signing a legally binding agreement with the EU that said there would be.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-border-controls-northern-ireland-union-boris-johnson-deal-a9573761.html

We now just say "No, we are not doing it."

Good, eh?

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #405 on June 19, 2020, 02:28:38 pm by Not Now Kato »
Right. NOW I get why Johnson has insisted that there will be no border checks between NI and GB, despite signing a legally binding agreement with the EU that said there would be.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-border-controls-northern-ireland-union-boris-johnson-deal-a9573761.html

Good, eh?

I wonder how many of those countries we're planning to do trade deals with will actually believe anything we sign up to when we do things like this?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #406 on June 19, 2020, 02:31:04 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Good, eh?

I Love the comment underneath it

"Michael Gove says border controls in Boris Johnson’s deal shouldn’t be implemented as they will anger unionists

Shouldn’t have written them in, shouldn’t have signed them, shouldn’t have gone around denying that they existed at the last election. But you did. Whoops a daisy."

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #407 on June 19, 2020, 04:04:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Good, eh?

I Love the comment underneath it

"Michael Gove says border controls in Boris Johnson’s deal shouldn’t be implemented as they will anger unionists

Shouldn’t have written them in, shouldn’t have signed them, shouldn’t have gone around denying that they existed at the last election. But you did. Whoops a daisy."

That is precisely what he has said, the little tinker. He says that placing a customs border in the Irish Sea because it will "make the protocol less acceptable to the majority community in Northern Ireland and therefore you run the risk of the protocol being voted down in a future election."

Never!

I wonder who could have possibly predicted that?

Apart from everyone in the f**king world outside Johnson's Cabinet who gave this more than a cursory glance.

There have been pages and pages of discussion in this forum, going right back to 2016 about how there were only two possible ways to leave the CU - one that had a customs border between NI and Ireland, and that wouldn't be acceptable to the Nationslists. Or one that had a customs border between GB and NI and that wouldn't be acceptable to the Unionists.

It's about the simplest logic imaginable and anyone who hadn't realised this yet is either thick as a bucket of monkey spunk or being willfully stupid for political ends. Make your own mind up which one of those Gove is.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #408 on June 19, 2020, 04:59:16 pm by SydneyRover »
In the long run NI will go the same way as Gibralta will as the EU will support member state claims over non member states and these territories will return to their original owners.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #409 on June 19, 2020, 05:12:52 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
In the long run NI will go the same way as Gibralta will as the EU will support member state claims over non member states and these territories will return to their original owners.

Eh? The EU can't do any such thing. Who do you class as the 'original owners' of Gibraltar and Northern Ireland anyway..?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #410 on June 19, 2020, 05:18:14 pm by SydneyRover »
I thought that would be fairly obvious due to their respective locations Glyn, as I posted it will be long term but the Spanish are not going to pass up this opportunity I woulndn't think.

''BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Spain has claimed victory in an argument with Britain over the status of Gibraltar, after the European Parliament passed a law that referred to the peninsula as a “colony of the British Crown”''

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-visas/spain-claims-success-in-gibraltar-row-with-britain-idUSKCN1RG199

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #411 on June 19, 2020, 05:20:43 pm by DonnyOsmond »
It'd make more sense for Gibraltar to be independent.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #412 on June 19, 2020, 07:42:43 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I thought that would be fairly obvious due to their respective locations Glyn, as I posted it will be long term but the Spanish are not going to pass up this opportunity I woulndn't think.

''BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Spain has claimed victory in an argument with Britain over the status of Gibraltar, after the European Parliament passed a law that referred to the peninsula as a “colony of the British Crown”''

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-visas/spain-claims-success-in-gibraltar-row-with-britain-idUSKCN1RG199

That Gibraltar thing means nothing. It was an associate EU member territory before Brexit,  after Brexit it'll have the same non-member status as the UK has. Somebody with no relevance to Gibraltar deciding to call it something else changes nothing and means less.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 07:45:17 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #413 on June 19, 2020, 11:36:26 pm by foxbat »
it means a lot to the people of Gibralter , that's why they will vote to rejoin the EU as part of Spain

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #414 on June 20, 2020, 12:18:41 am by Glyn_Wigley »
it means a lot to the people of Gibralter , that's why they will vote to rejoin the EU as part of Spain

A bigger percentage of Gibraltarians voted to keep UK sovereignty than voted to remain in the EU.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #415 on June 20, 2020, 11:50:53 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #416 on June 20, 2020, 01:11:39 pm by Not Now Kato »
https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/bxllocks-to-the-red-white-and-blue/?fbclid=IwAR30OeIMHQY02ubei33c3sZlQS2ak2qRDkwzgUIP2Rh9hsKpV2HRSQIG5GU

A spokesperson for the Angel of the North protest that took place today, Kim Sanderson, said it would make far more sense to deal with one crisis at a time: “Whichever way you voted in the EU referendum, it was not to lose your job or be worse off.”

Sadly, as many of us pointed out during the campaigns, that's exactly what you WERE voting for!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #417 on June 20, 2020, 10:24:49 pm by selby »
Well it looks like it is kicking off over  there in La La land, Varadkar coming into trouble with the greens who are themselves coming in for trouble with the farmers who need a Brexit agreement to protect their largest market.
  Merkel is considering sidelining Barnier to push for an agreement, and no fiscal agreement with the frugal four and the German courts dead set on not continually bailing out their med friends.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #418 on June 20, 2020, 10:30:42 pm by IDM »
What the f**k is la la land.?

If you write a legible post it might help..

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #419 on June 20, 2020, 10:42:47 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Well it looks like it is kicking off over  there in La La land, Varadkar coming into trouble with the greens who are themselves coming in for trouble with the farmers who need a Brexit agreement to protect their largest market.
  Merkel is considering sidelining Barnier to push for an agreement, and no fiscal agreement with the frugal four and the German courts dead set on not continually bailing out their med friends.

Link?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012