Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 02:47:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: What can we expect from our new look team then?  (Read 1336 times)

Nudga

• Forum Member
What can we expect from our new look team then?
« on July 21, 2022, 10:46:21 pm by Nudga »
I've not had the chance to get to any friendlies and I don't know anything about the new players that have come in.
Can we be confident of having a decent season?

I'll be honest, I'd lost a lot of interest and only went to a handful of games over the last couple of seasons, and that was just out of trying to cement my two boys love/loyalty to the club.
My oldest has lost total interest now so it's just me and my 14 year old lad.

Does GM look like he's got a game plan/preferred formation?
What can we expect from the new players?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
Re: What can we expect from our new look team then?
« Reply #1 on July 21, 2022, 11:01:11 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
More effort, confidence and pride in the shirt.
Pre season has gone well so far but it guarantees us nothing. We go into the last friendly and hopefully the Bradford game full of confidence. We have a tough start to the season but I see us getting points from them. Promotion has to be the aim.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 21, 2022, 11:05:52 pm by Alan Southstand »
I went to the Huddersfield and Rotherham games and I have to say, generally, momentum is building, but………they were friendlies.

2 very different styles to contend with and we coped reasonably well for large parts. In particular, the Huddersfield game saw us with not that much possession, but we were extremely disciplined and kept our shape well. The sheer persistence of Miller won us a penalty and Tomlin despatched it. Highlights were Maxwell (now signed today), Biggins (who I thought was motm) and possibly Tomlin (know how and guile, not to mention skill).

Rotherham were er Rotherham. Worked hard, physical, mixed it up, pounced on any weakness/mistake. We had no left back (TR filled in) or right back (Younger filled in). Olowu and Williams were back together as cb’s and both did reasonably well. Once again, Miller did his impression of John Marquis, in closing down and being a nuisance and scored 2 goals, first one a beauty and the 2nd a deflected effort. Looks to be our striker for the season. We made a raft of substitution around the 60 odd minute mark and we looked a shadow of the first half team (lesson there, somewhere).

Overall, reason to be a bit more cheerful and even more so if we get Tomlin and Hurst over the line.

Hope that gives you an insight.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 22, 2022, 10:15:03 am by ncRover »
I expect attendances to be lower at the start of the season, but I think this team will show everything that last year’s didn’t hopefully to push it in the the 7ks and higher.

I also don’t expect an injury crisis this year because of the new signings. All appear to be tough and resilient players with lots of games under their belt in the last few years.

I feel great about this season because we are only going in to it with only 1 or 2 loans. I can get behind the team much better that way knowing they are Rovers players.

Promotion is the aim but if we get play offs and just miss out then we can forgive them for that after the rot of the last 18 months.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 22, 2022, 10:25:57 am by Chris Black come back »
There is probably a case for a few more loans to January, as we get the long term injured fit. Don’t see huge need to be spending on more permanent signings now given you would hope Close, Taylor, Anderson and Fejiri are back to speed by November or December. McSheffrey said last night that we’ve got a big squad of full time professionals. Seems odd to be adding to this given that only Agard appears to be the senior player we could afford to release.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 10:49:46 am by Chris Black come back »

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 22, 2022, 10:28:46 am by pib »
Really don't know what to expect myself. I've seen enough pre-seasons to know not to read too much into them.

Quite a few of the signings look like positives to me, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do.

Only seen the Huddersfield game and it looked like we played 4411/442 with Tomlin dropping in to get on the ball and spray it around. I couldn't really identify a distinct style in that game, but Huddersfield were always going to have most of the ball, and it looks like we strung together some decent link-up play in the Rotherham game judging by the highlights, so maybe it's a case of things gradually clicking into place.

That would be my main concern with GM though. I don't think we really had a style last season and I don't hear/see much from him yet that suggests he's got a firm idea, but who knows. It's a new start this season and I don't expect him to give everything away to the media.

Of the new players, vs Huddersfield I thought Biggins showed a lot of energy, Miller is very much a grafter and is always on the move, Molyneux had flashes of showing what he could do in terms of his pace and taking on defenders, and Maxwell looked steady and solid.

Tomlin looked very assured on the ball and looked like he could make things happen. His ability isn't in question and we now seem hell-bent on signing him, but my worry is that we've put too much credence in a few run-outs in friendlies and whether he's actually got the fitness levels to do it in the league. The guy played just over 150 minutes across 5 appearances for Walsall last season. That is a concern for me. I'd like to think the club have at least looked into the possibility of bringing in a younger player with more minutes in the legs who can bring similar technical attributes, but also might be an asset for the club and command a fee in future. Tomlin certainly won't do that, so the outlay would have to be justified with confidence that we could get a lot of minutes and contribution out of him this season.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 22, 2022, 10:46:32 am by Campsall rover »
Pib I would say imo that GM does have a distinct formation and style of play based on the Huddersfield and Rotherham games.

When we are without the ball it is 4-4-1-1 with the 2 wide front players tucking in to make a midfield 4
When we are on the offensive we are a 4-2-3-1 or you could call it a 4-2-1-3

There is quite a bit of flexibility. Tomlin who has played behind the striker has been allowed to roam, to find pockets of spaces and both the wide players Molyneux & Hurst have swapped sides from time to time.
But to me there is a definite distinctive style developing which we didn’t have last season.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 22, 2022, 10:46:47 am by Bessie Red »
Really don't know what to expect myself. I've seen enough pre-seasons to know not to read too much into them.

Quite a few of the signings look like positives to me, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do.

Only seen the Huddersfield game and it looked like we played 4411/442 with Tomlin dropping in to get on the ball and spray it around. I couldn't really identify a distinct style in that game, but Huddersfield were always going to have most of the ball, and it looks like we strung together some decent link-up play in the Rotherham game judging by the highlights, so maybe it's a case of things gradually clicking into place.

That would be my main concern with GM though. I don't think we really had a style last season and I don't hear/see much from him yet that suggests he's got a firm idea, but who knows. It's a new start this season and I don't expect him to give everything away to the media.

Of the new players, vs Huddersfield I thought Biggins showed a lot of energy, Miller is very much a grafter and is always on the move, Molyneux had flashes of showing what he could do in terms of his pace and taking on defenders, and Maxwell looked steady and solid.

Tomlin looked very assured on the ball and looked like he could make things happen. His ability isn't in question and we now seem hell-bent on signing him, but my worry is that we've put too much credence in a few run-outs in friendlies and whether he's actually got the fitness levels to do it in the league. The guy played just over 150 minutes across 5 appearances for Walsall last season. That is a concern for me. I'd like to think the club have at least looked into the possibility of bringing in a younger player with more minutes in the legs who can bring similar technical attributes, but also might be an asset for the club and command a fee in future. Tomlin certainly won't do that, so the outlay would have to be justified with confidence that we could get a lot of minutes and contribution out of him this season.
From GMc interview I got the feeling that, with regards to Tomlin, due to what we have offered financially it isn't too much of a gamble & that if he signs he will have a tailored training/playing regime suited to get him through a season. I believe that GMc sees it as a low risk/great benefit signing that could be the difference between getting in the play offs and auto promotion.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 22, 2022, 11:27:28 am by jmt23 »
It is to be hoped he signs, as GMC seems to really want him, as anybody who listened to the interview last night will know. My main concern is what if we don't, I can't imagine to many similar talented players who could fill that role, that we have now made a needed position.
Given the dealing so far, it wouldn't surprise me to have a back up, but it did make me nervous.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 22, 2022, 11:29:00 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

From GMc interview I got the feeling that, with regards to Tomlin, due to what we have offered financially it isn't too much of a gamble & that if he signs he will have a tailored training/playing regime suited to get him through a season. I believe that GMc sees it as a low risk/great benefit signing that could be the difference between getting in the play offs and auto promotion.

The way I see it is GM/Copps assembling a well balanced match day squad that's well capable of winning football matches against different types of opposition.

They've brought in options that enable us to adapt. They're creating a focus, a competitive environment with one objective in mind.

Tomlin is likely to be one ingredient that can elevate good performances into class above performances. There a certain players (Copps being one) that can make everyone else play better around them. They're a bit different with tremendous vision and skill that opposition players find hard to shut down.

I know I might be getting carried away here but I think and hope we will be able to turn good organised opposition into mush. Rabbits in headlights not knowing what to do.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 22, 2022, 11:53:55 am by Colin C No.3 »

The way I see it is GM/Copps assembling a well balanced match day squad that's well capable of winning football matches against different types of opposition.

They've brought in options that enable us to adapt. They're creating a focus, a competitive environment with one objective in mind.

Tomlin is likely to be one ingredient that can elevate good performances into class above performances. There a certain players (Copps being one) that can make everyone else play better around them. They're a bit different with tremendous vision and skill that opposition players find hard to shut down.

I know I might be getting carried away here but I think and hope we will be able to turn good organised opposition into mush. Rabbits in headlights not knowing what to do.
You have said all that I feel too in your post Baz.

The board said they have learned lessons & have made seismic changes in the way we recruit thanks to the appointment of Copps as Head of Football Development. That appointment has helped Gary McSheffrey no end, he now has that ‘person’ to bounce ideas off & that then allows him time on the training ground to forge his style of play with players that HE wants.

I’m trying not to get too excited about the season ahead given I’ve not yet been to a game but, after last year’s turgid time it’s hard not to.

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 22, 2022, 12:12:59 pm by Chris the Rover »
Title winners!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 22, 2022, 12:53:46 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I predict that whatever we get from them, it'll never be enough for whinge-1969.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 22, 2022, 02:17:32 pm by pib »
What a great idea for building unity and togetherness that we all so badly want in the fanbase - take pops at people in a thread they haven't even contributed to.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 22, 2022, 07:25:24 pm by Bezza »
Pace, passion and pride to play for the  Rovers and I will be happy.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012