Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 11:23:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Andrews  (Read 7846 times)

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Andrews
« Reply #60 on August 06, 2022, 06:55:11 pm by Canadian Rover »
Very little in quality of service to him. Although his movement wasn't great the effort was there. Got a great defensive block in the first half (I know that's not his primary role).

Thought it funny the moment he was brought off we seemed to go more direct aiming to Agard!! He's not a revelation but may well still improve especially with better passing to him.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on August 06, 2022, 07:02:43 pm by colincramb »
Hard to judge yet, but some very wayward heading. Will need time to adapt and get his feet I’d imagine. Like some have said, service very poor.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on August 06, 2022, 07:16:26 pm by drfchound »
He should have won a pen late on when a defender grappled him to the ground.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on August 06, 2022, 07:17:16 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
He’s better than Cukur.

He contested more challenges today than Cukur did in half a season. It's a ridiculous comparison.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on August 06, 2022, 07:28:52 pm by ncRover »
I think with some better tactics he would be a bit better. It’s easier to beat a defender to a diagonal ball than to one just lumped up straight.

That being said, I thought Agard offered much more when he came on. Picked up some good positions and has a much better first touch.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on August 06, 2022, 07:51:48 pm by RoversAlias »
I wouldn't want to write him off after one game, but he was poor today. He even missed a totally free header in the box in the second half.

You can see what we want to do with him, and he had it tough against their centre half pairing - Rowe and John - so hopefully one he can learn from.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on August 06, 2022, 07:54:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Just watched the highlights. Andrews set up the chance that Rowe ought to have scored from straight after half time, by winning an aerial challenge and flicking the ball on.

He's not the next Marco van Basten but some of the criticism is way over the top. 

MagicMartinoWoods

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on August 06, 2022, 07:56:38 pm by MagicMartinoWoods »
Just watched the highlights. Andrews set up the chance that Rowe ought to have scored from straight after half time, by winning an aerial challenge and flicking the ball on.

He's not the next Marco van Basten but some of the criticism is way over the top. 

Andrews didn't touch it Billy, he missed the header and it bounced through to their defender who dallied and Rowe got the block that fell kindly and put him in.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on August 06, 2022, 08:04:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Andrews didn't touch it Billy, he missed the header and it bounced through to their defender who dallied and Rowe got the block that fell kindly and put him in.

Go watch the highlights. The ball definitely changed direction as Andrews and the first defender challenged for it. If Andrews didn't connect with the ball (and it looked to me as though he did) then the ball squirted off the defender's head because he was being physically challenged.

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on August 06, 2022, 08:09:44 pm by LincolnDonny »
Nowt like giving a young player a chance.

Nudga gives plenty of young players a chance and he teaches them to play the right way!
I'll reserve judgement on JA for a few weeks, I think I've forgotten what a striker looks like over the last couple of years.

Does he bitch about them behind their back after half a game too?

No I don't, because then I have my coach's hat on and I help them develop.

This afternoon, I had my Rovers fan hat on.

Pleased you told us which hat you talk out of.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on August 06, 2022, 08:56:09 pm by Nudga »
Nowt like giving a young player a chance.

Nudga gives plenty of young players a chance and he teaches them to play the right way!
I'll reserve judgement on JA for a few weeks, I think I've forgotten what a striker looks like over the last couple of years.

Does he bitch about them behind their back after half a game too?

No I don't, because then I have my coach's hat on and I help them develop.

This afternoon, I had my Rovers fan hat on.

Pleased you told us which hat you talk out of.

Bit late to the party but no problem homie

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on August 06, 2022, 10:23:25 pm by The Beast »
For me the tactics didn't  really work, I was quite excited to see us playing with two forwards but the problem was we didn't really have the legs in midfield to compete with a physical athletic side, resulting with the two forwards getting no service. I was a bit disappointed with Andrews overall contribution but its still early days.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on August 06, 2022, 10:27:56 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Chronic lack of width never helps centre forwards imo. End up been marked by 4 defenders

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on August 06, 2022, 10:32:29 pm by Jonathan »
He’s young and still learning, I don’t think he’d be starting games at this stage if we had our full complement, but we don’t. He’ll be useful to us as the season goes on.

Agard showed his experience when he came on, and it feels like that was him finally announcing his arrival at DRFC. We need a squad and we need all these players contributing.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on August 07, 2022, 11:37:31 am by bedale rover »
I thought that playing Andrews in this game was a mistake he was generally hobbled by their defence

Agard used his experience to play around the defence and we looked better for it

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on August 10, 2022, 09:59:58 am by ncRover »
Has anybody seen evidence of Andrews statement of having “Good pace for a big man”.

Not exactly the brummie Haaland is he?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on August 10, 2022, 10:12:43 am by steve@dcfd »
It’s easy to blame players but they been chosen by our selection team including Copps and GMC if he’s not right yet it’s down to them to get it right.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on August 10, 2022, 10:17:09 am by Colin C No.3 »
He’s better than Cukur.
I’m better than Cukur!

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on August 10, 2022, 10:17:15 am by Mustapha-Dump »
Has anybody seen evidence of Andrews statement of having “Good pace for a big man”.

No and I imagine if he was he wouldn’t be sent out on loan to league 2 Doncaster Rovers

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on August 10, 2022, 10:17:32 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

I think it was more likely, good feet for a big man.

From what I heard, he could be a young Keifer Moore un the making but so far, he's yet to make that impact however, I'd like to see us setting up crosses for him to run on to.

As said by others, I'd like to see him deployed as a plan B option from the bench.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on August 10, 2022, 10:47:00 am by sedwardsdrfc »
He shouldn't be starting. Needs to find some form off the bench.

Reality is with his size he'd be in Birminghams squad if he knew how to use it well. Every club would like a player like that even just to bring off the bench. So the fact they let us have him tells you he isn't a player yet.

Up to us to coach him so he can make use of his assets

Shawn_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on August 11, 2022, 10:41:11 am by Shawn_drfc »
The Sutton game consisted of balls being lumped up, or a diagonal ball to Andrews who didn't win the header or when he did went to no one.

He was definitely the week link in that game and we played a lot better when Agard came on and the lump option had disappeared.

He could end up good for us but we need to build up play properly and not just hoof it because Andrews is a tall striker.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on August 11, 2022, 08:13:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
The Sutton game consisted of balls being lumped up, or a diagonal ball to Andrews who didn't win the header or when he did went to no one.

He was definitely the week link in that game and we played a lot better when Agard came on and the lump option had disappeared.

He could end up good for us but we need to build up play properly and not just hoof it because Andrews is a tall striker.

As I've said before, he won a header and flicked it on into the danger area for the move that Rowe should have finished off immediately after half time.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on August 11, 2022, 11:16:37 pm by steve@dcfd »
Against Sutton in the 18 squad we had 6 players 25 and above, 4 players between 21 and 25 and 8 players including Andrews 20 and below. Yet we expect these players to have qualities and experience to move our squad forward when 2/3 rds of the 18 are 25 or below. We get what the selection committee choose.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on August 11, 2022, 11:34:54 pm by dickos1 »
What’s the issue with players being under 25?

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on August 12, 2022, 01:18:41 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Selection committee, who is picking the side the UN. ;)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on August 12, 2022, 08:21:10 am by steve@dcfd »
Depends if the UN pick a crèche but they may have more money.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on August 12, 2022, 08:22:56 am by steve@dcfd »
What’s the issue with players being under 25?
We will see if they can achieve the objective of automatic promotion then we will know.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on August 12, 2022, 08:38:38 am by Jonathan »
The sneering attitude of some of our so called supporters towards players that are turning out for us is a disgrace. There’s been lots of talk about the toxic nature of football at the moment. We don’t have to look far for that. Once upon a time it was directed at opponents, but it increasingly feels like large sections of our fanbase (online and at games) would prefer to direct it at our own.

Andrews is just a young lad. He’s played a few games for us while the team is still finding its way. The sneering at him is just awful.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 08:58:39 am by Jonathan »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on August 12, 2022, 08:41:17 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
He's been mixed in the first few games but he's learning.  He appeared very receptive to the coaching he was getting on Tuesday night, he is a work in progress but I feel over the season he'll get better.  His work rate is pretty good and at times he's won things with nobody around him.  At times he's lost things he should win.  Tell me a striker at our level who doesn't?

I'm sure goals will come for him soon particularly when we have better wide players fit.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012