Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 02:33:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: European Super League  (Read 5786 times)

sha66y

• Forum Member
Re: European Super League
« Reply #30 on June 05, 2019, 04:17:03 pm by sha66y »
Surely this will open the door for other media groups to get involved with promoting the game, and not having to compete with the likes of Sky and BT...
I say Reshuffle the FA and start afresh....there used to be full grounds well before Sky sports turned the heads of the money grabbers in charge.....and regarding the lower league teams getting less money, I guess all teams will have to cut their cloth accordingly, maybe crowds will increase initially has a protest against the elite....who knows what will happen should this happen, but I doubt many will look at these ramifications until they become a reality....I personally don’t see this happening too soon, but welcome the turmoil

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Tarkovsky_Mikluzhkin

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on June 06, 2019, 06:03:10 am by Tarkovsky_Mikluzhkin »
Football was exciting because clubs could rise up and one day dream of winning the top tier but we've spent the past 20/25 years with the same boring clubs winning everything

Exactly half of the clubs that have won the Premier League have also played in the 3rd tier of English football in the last 25 years.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on June 06, 2019, 07:04:51 am by Donnywolf »
It's the circle of life. UEFA and the big clubs bully the PL and other top level competitions to get what they want. The Premier League bullies the EFL to get what they want for their clubs such as EPPP and the Checkatrade format. If the Super League is stopped or not it wont ever stop the greed of bigger clubs. Football was exciting because clubs could rise up and one day dream of winning the top tier but we've spent the past 20/25 years with the same boring clubs winning everything with only oil money changing that.

Fully agree with this. It is sheer greed by top Clubs everywhere - and increasingly in every sport

The "romance" of football used to be can you climb as did Northampton from Div 4 to Div 1 (top tier) - and yes you could BUT without MEGA money it cant be done now

Teams are increasingly "in their place". There are three (ish) layers of the Prem already - and the rest of the EFL is fast becoming stratified and that "romance" is dying fast because a Team like Scunny / Bury / FGR (insert your own names) will be in Tier 4 and their aspiration will be to make Tier 3 now and again and avoid Tier 5 - and that is a very sad place to be for those Clubs and their fans to be in and Gates will suffer and of course already have

There are people as we know who are glory hunters and wont support their local Team(s) - and they certainly wont be encouraged if that Team has aims only to stay where they are - have a good Season or 2 - and then come back down.
Sad but inevitable state of affairs - and my dad used to have many "sayings / views" one of which was - "when they take the maximum wage off Football the game will get ruined" He said that and though it has taken a while we have got to where I am sure he thought we would
Premiership trying to seal their "Club" and avoid Relegation of their Members. Already been discussed many times. Make Championship Prem 2 and do the same ? I would not discount anything

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on June 07, 2019, 05:49:46 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
It sounds one step more souless than prem games but such is the progression of the modern world anyway. I'm sure it will happen pretty much as is planned.

The further killing off of the League Cup and FA Cup is what bothers me more. The killing off of the European cups entertainment value has already happened with the league format - the old knockout format from the off was far superior in terms of entertainment, as well as having the three tier League winners European Cup, Cup winners and UEFA cups.

Should we object? Yes, just in the same way we should object to all corporate domination in our world. It is a losing battle against soul numbing insanity but gotta be done.

Well done to the FSA and others for leading on this.

DINGLE

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on June 07, 2019, 06:21:45 pm by DINGLE »
Too many teams who win something in their home leagues would never win anything in a European Super League.
That alone would put many of them off the idea.

Until all the top 4 or 5 clubs in each major league are owned by milti billionaires which won’t be long.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on June 08, 2019, 01:11:06 am by RobTheRover »
All the ramifications discussed here for the FA and the FL also apply to all other countries. However, none of them have productised their offer quite like the PL has and the funding implications for English football are severe.  When the likes of Eleven Sports can pick up the rights for La Liga for a Web only platform that tells you all you need to know about how unattractive "foreign" leagues are to domestic broadcasters. The PL is a global brand but only because of the richness and interest in the teams playing, and the fact they attract the best players from all over the world.  Take the top 4 or 5 teams out of that and what do you have left to bring in the global audience?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on June 08, 2019, 01:22:07 am by Glyn_Wigley »
If the EPL are crapping themselves, can they not threaten that any club going into this competition cannot also participate in the EPL at the same time?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on June 08, 2019, 05:00:37 am by silent majority »
If the EPL are crapping themselves, can they not threaten that any club going into this competition cannot also participate in the EPL at the same time?

Glyn, that's a given. The top 5 clubs will leave the EPL.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on June 08, 2019, 08:25:36 am by Glyn_Wigley »

Also tell them they won't be allowed to enter the FA or League Cup, and that they won't have an automatic right back into the top tier of the English League when it all goes tits up and they come crawling back because they win feck all and finish nowhere season after season. Make them start again at National League level!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on June 08, 2019, 02:02:02 pm by drfchound »

Is that a given IF the ESL happens or is it a  given because the ESL is going to happen.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on June 08, 2019, 02:20:23 pm by RedJ »

Also tell them they won't be allowed to enter the FA or League Cup, and that they won't have an automatic right back into the top tier of the English League when it all goes tits up and they come crawling back because they win feck all and finish nowhere season after season. Make them start again at National League level!

f**k that, make them start at the 9th tier like everyone else.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on June 08, 2019, 04:32:16 pm by silent majority »

Is that a given IF the ESL happens or is it a  given because the ESL is going to happen.

The 'given' is that the top 5 clubs in all major leagues in Europe will resign from their respective leagues.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on June 08, 2019, 04:41:04 pm by Retdon1 »

The 'given' is that the top 5 clubs in all major leagues in Europe will resign from their respective leagues.

So who out of the current “top 6” would miss out ?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on June 08, 2019, 04:45:50 pm by RobTheRover »
That's tr bun fight right there.

In reality, they could be a bit more selective. Top 6 from EPL, 4 from La Liga, 4 from Serie A, 2 from Ligue Un, 3 from Bundesliga, 1 from Eredivisie, for example.

I doubt they will want 20, mind. Celtic and Rangers will be asking to join the PL again then too.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on June 08, 2019, 04:57:07 pm by drfchound »

In reality, they could be a bit more selective. Top 6 from EPL, 4 from La Liga, 4 from Serie A, 2 from Ligue Un, 3 from Bundesliga, 1 from Eredivisie, for example.

I doubt they will want 20, mind. Celtic and Rangers will be asking to join the PL again then too.

Allowing Celtic and Rangers to join the PL would be very hypocritical though wouldn’t it, as it would certainly be a crippling blow to the Scottish League.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on June 08, 2019, 05:01:27 pm by Donnywolf »

So who out of the current “top 6” would miss out ?

Tough one for me.

Ideally Man U should miss out - but then again they would do a Celtic and win the League 9 times in a row and the quadruple quadruple 4 or 5 times

mmmmmm - I will think this through a bit  more !

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on June 08, 2019, 05:54:19 pm by RobTheRover »

Allowing Celtic and Rangers to join the PL would be very hypocritical though wouldn’t it, as it would certainly be a crippling blow to the Scottish League.

To be fair, the standard of football is a crippling blow to the Scottish Leagues.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on June 08, 2019, 06:13:25 pm by drfchound »

To be fair, the standard of football is a crippling blow to the Scottish Leagues.

Yeah, I agree with that.
My point was though that people were suggesting that losing the top five or six clubs from our PL would be really bad news for clubs like us and surely if Celtic and Rangers were allowed into our PL it would be a death knell for some Scottish clubs.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on June 08, 2019, 08:03:30 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

I'd let them join just to see the looks on the faces of Celtic fans as they finish 15th yet again and realisation slowly dawns on them.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on June 08, 2019, 08:03:55 pm by selby »
It is a pity it has not started this season, it would be great to see Manchester United the bottom of the league.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on June 10, 2019, 02:21:59 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
"Champions League of 32 teams, a Europa League of 32 teams, and a Europa League 2 composed of 64 teams – with a maximum of five teams from the same national league per competition."

I make that up to 15 clubs from England making the switch, not 5 or 6.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012