Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 08:19:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Scunthorpe in trouble  (Read 2186 times)

rich1471

• Forum Member
Scunthorpe in trouble
« on September 16, 2022, 07:19:23 am by rich1471 »
They are bottom of the national League ,the takeover has fallen through and are in real danger of going into administration,if that happens I can see them folding with would be a real shame.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Scunthorpe in trouble
« Reply #1 on September 16, 2022, 07:43:51 am by Chris Black come back »
They’ve hugely overachieved for decades now. It’s a small town in the middle of nowhere and tied to a steel industry that has declined significantly over this period. They are into the micro-club category like Rushden and Diamonds (as was) and Forest Green Rovers, both of which only compete(d) due to huge owner subsidy. Scunthorpe United is probably not a going concern as a league club any more, but should be big enough under decent ownership to be a top rank non league club, pushing for promotion.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 16, 2022, 09:57:35 am by Wiltshire Exile »
From the Iron-Bru forum: https://www.iron-bru.co.uk/forums/topic/administration

“I think the Donny method will be the best way forward if all of this comes to pass. New housing estate within three years at GP site.”
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 12:15:08 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 16, 2022, 11:25:36 am by keyser_soze »
Would be a real shame. Got no real hatred for Scunny (after some memorable away days there over the years) so would be terrible to lose a local rival in that way.

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 16, 2022, 01:07:56 pm by Panda »
Chickens coming home to roost. A poorly run club for quite some time with an owner without football interests at heart. Has there been any real protests or vitriol against their clueless owner?

Be a sad moment for the fans but football these days needs to an overhaul and all clubs at lower levels need to run sustainably and with fans and the club at heart. Something which Peter Swan failed to do.

The club folding will be a further kick in the teeth for the town too which already is in decline so hopefully it won't come to that.

That said, i'm amazed at just how bad a job Keith Hill did. On paper he ticked all the boxes to at least keep them in L2 but they've got rot throughout the whole club and when that happens often varying managers aren't able to arrest the slide.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 16, 2022, 04:27:22 pm by silent majority »
I helped set up the Supporters Trust when they first formed as they could see what was coming.

There's some good lads involved there and I'm sure they'll be trying to save the club.

Goldthorperover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 16, 2022, 07:00:57 pm by Goldthorperover »
I know a bloke who was on the coaching staff there last season. He said the club was full of good people but there was only one way it was going unfortunately, keith hill or no keith hill.

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 17, 2022, 08:02:50 pm by Panda »
Moved off the bottom today thanks to a last minute equaliser at home to York. Not a bad crowd there too compared with recent home games, although York will have fetched a few. 3,758.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 17, 2022, 08:20:42 pm by River Don »
Football clubs don't die. Whilst ever the support base remains there is the impetus to start again and rebuild. The club names may chahange a little but the heart remains.

That said, I hope Scunny don't slip into that scenario.

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 17, 2022, 08:57:15 pm by Daniel_Smith »
They’ve hugely overachieved for decades now. It’s a small town in the middle of nowhere and tied to a steel industry that has declined significantly over this period. They are into the micro-club category like Rushden and Diamonds (as was) and Forest Green Rovers, both of which only compete(d) due to huge owner subsidy. Scunthorpe United is probably not a going concern as a league club any more, but should be big enough under decent ownership to be a top rank non league club, pushing for promotion.

Bit disrespectful calling Scunthorpe a "micro-club".

They easily have the same amount of home support as Doncaster. And a comparable history.

Just been badly run for a while. Hopefully someone will be able to turn them around.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 17, 2022, 09:05:08 pm by colincramb »

They easily have the same amount of home support as Doncaster. And a comparable history.

Just been badly run for a while. Hopefully someone will be able to turn them around.

They don’t have the same support pal. 1/3 smaller at best

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 17, 2022, 09:08:04 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Give it a few more games like today and we'll be having Scunny style crowds.

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 17, 2022, 09:10:17 pm by Daniel_Smith »

They don’t have the same support pal. 1/3 smaller at best

Maybe 1/3 smaller attendances at present. There's lots of shy fans about still. They aren't turning up because of the predicament they find themselves in. But having lived in Scunthorpe before, I can assure you they have comparable support.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on September 17, 2022, 09:14:45 pm by roversdude »
But we’ve smaller crowds because we’ve been relegated/playing crap too
Scunny have never had the same home support as Rovers especially if at same level

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 18, 2022, 09:18:02 am by Draytonian III »
York had sold over a 1000 tickets by Thursday night

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 18, 2022, 12:32:51 pm by Padge_DRFC »
I am sure Scunny charge a fortune to get in. They were charging over 30 quid to sit on the side of the pitch back when they were in league 1

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on September 18, 2022, 01:42:46 pm by Donnywolf »
But we’ve smaller crowds because we’ve been relegated/playing crap too
Scunny have never had the same home support as Rovers especially if at same level

Scunny were almost first to go down the sell old ground Old Show Ground and build new Stadium to hold 9000

That tells people all they need to know as we built on capable of holding 15000 plus. Current highest for Footy 15001.

That about sun's up where the relative spectator bases are I would say

Our gates were terrible when we left the League  but I doubt they would fall  as far if it happened again ( but that calls for speculation I know)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012