Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 09:01:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Manchester City u21s game  (Read 6815 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Manchester City u21s game
« on September 18, 2021, 10:24:52 pm by selby »
  A lot will not be interested in this game, but I see it as important in our teams development especially after the win we had today in the league game.
  I know a lot will disagree with me, but I would play as many of our team that played today again on Tuesday injury allowing of course.
  My reasoning I believe the players need to play games together, and get more used to the pattern of play, the way their team mates play and their strengths and weaknesses, the more they play together the sooner we will see the true capabilities of this side,something I feel we are a long way off  seeing the best of them at the moment, we are still work in progress.
   What team Manchester City put out is in the lap of the gods, but have not really looked to take this competition by storm in the past, which they could undoubtedly do if they wished to do so, lets hope they pick another night to do so.
    So what would you do? and Why?
    Are you going to the game?
    Did the Rotherham game finish your interest in the competition for another year?
    Do you see the game as important to our teams development?
 Lots to discuss about this game, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

danumdon

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Manchester City u21s game
« Reply #1 on September 18, 2021, 10:31:27 pm by danumdon »
Fully agree Selby, play our strongest lineup and give then game time together, it can only improve our team play and get these players fitter.

They all look like they are 25% below where they should be, an improvement in this area would be massive for our general play and creativity.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 18, 2021, 10:32:48 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
No idea what to expect from City in terms of how good their U23's will be i'm imagining they will be pretty decent and are probably favourites.

I'd play our best available team as well. Only potential changes are Anderson (if he's still recovering from the injury) and i'd maybe play Seaman ahead of Hiwula.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 18, 2021, 10:53:21 pm by danumdon »
Teams like your City's, Chelsea's and United's are like the football equivalent of the North Sea factory fishing ships, hoovering up all the talent in this country and Europe, and then jettisoning them to all corners when the time is right and they look like being just "Average" players.

Hope we can give them a good game for our benefit.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 18, 2021, 10:54:28 pm by Dagenham Rover »
and why did the stadium announcer today just   announce them as "Manchester City" and not "Manchester City under 23's "  just a thought :)

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 18, 2021, 10:56:05 pm by danumdon »
Commercially savvy?

Every little bit extra helps  :)

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 18, 2021, 10:56:47 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Commercially savvy?

Every little bit extra helps  :)

maybe so :) :)

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 18, 2021, 11:50:57 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
Think he will make a few changes for this game but not loads. Don’t think Dodoo will start so maybe give Cukur minutes, Barlow may also come in for Hiwula to give him minutes. Bostock will probs come back in to the midfield as well as Greaves I reckon. Wouldn’t be too surprised to see Rowe rested and maybe olowu or Blythe coming in for Anderson aswell.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 19, 2021, 03:35:58 pm by selby »
Bailey, I would say that Dodoo, Hiwula, and Anderson all need minutes to get in the swing of things after yesterday.
  Jones in goal and Seaman wide right would be my changes, and see how the game develops for others to get game time.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 19, 2021, 03:56:32 pm by steve@dcfd »
If we want to qualify pasted the group stage then we must win the games against Manchester City U21 and Scunthorpe to stand a chance. Both Rotherham and Manchester City U21 have won their first matches. We have the worst goal difference. Winning both games will not guarantee us going through, but will give us a chance.
Therefore a game we should not take lightly play the best team we can. We must try for another win and a confidence booster. Manchester City U21 have already beat Scunthorpe 3.  0 in the competition.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 19, 2021, 04:32:12 pm by eastender »
A lot of Man City's best young players will be out on loan like Matt Smith at Hull, so we should have a decent chance if we take it seriously.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 19, 2021, 04:50:15 pm by steve@dcfd »
With the players they have at U21 and U23 some players going on loan won’t make a difference. The Scunthorpe team they played in August did have a lot of young players I have just checked. But we would be foolish to take this game lightly in our position.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 19, 2021, 05:14:09 pm by elmsallrover »
Don't forget there playing Wycombe as well mid week

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 19, 2021, 05:39:40 pm by Jonathan »
I’d look to get another 45 minutes into Dodoo and definitely Hiwula. Give Galbraith and Smith a rest. No need to risk Anderson in my opinion, or Rowe, or Knoyle, or Close. Give Olowu a full game and Jones needs these cup games to gain experience.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 19, 2021, 05:55:53 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
Bailey, I would say that Dodoo, Hiwula, and Anderson all need minutes to get in the swing of things after yesterday.
  Jones in goal and Seaman wide right would be my changes, and see how the game develops for others to get game time.
don’t think Dodoo will play because he played 90 yesterday and Cukur needs minutes so think he will be on the bench, think with anderson only just coming back from injury he will be rested for Saturday. I would start Hiwula but not sure if he will with Barlow also needing minutes. Would rest Rowe and bring in Horton and wouldn’t be too surprised to see Williams rested because he was playing with an injury, not sure if he’s still got that niggle or not.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 19, 2021, 06:08:48 pm by tyke1962 »
If you can pop along to watch the young kids at City play your own club I'd advise you to do so .

We played them pre season at the City academy although they added Ake, Diaz , Fernadhino , Cancello  and Mahrez and then brought Gundogan on .

They were a joy to watch and beat us easily 4-0 .

A humbling but enjoyable drubbing if that makes any kind of sense .

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 20, 2021, 01:22:31 am by Sammy Chung was King »
It’s got to be a game, where the players who haven’t started, get some time on the field.
The league has to be a priority at the minute. We need those players sharper ,in case they are needed for the league games.

As much as you want to win every game, you have to use at least some of your squad players for this type of game.
Rowe for a start should be rested . It needs to be a mixed side of usual starters and players who need a game.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 20, 2021, 04:07:07 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
This game is ideal to get some players a bit more up to speed, such as Vilca. Who i didn't think did that badly v Morecambe tbh.

Play some youngsters too and hopefully Wellens will use the match as a tool for helping the new lads gel a bit more, get a bit more fitness into some and to see more of some younger players.

I will be going to the game, although personally i think the trophy is a joke and has been completely devalued by the introduction of the U21 sides.

First time in the East Stand too.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 20, 2021, 04:17:51 pm by Dutch Uncle »
My hope is that at least one of Dodoo, Hiwula, Barlow or Cukur scores their first goal for the club in a competitive match.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 20, 2021, 04:28:10 pm by Spud »
It's a shame we're back to three subs, assuming it is in this comp? As said already it's a usefull fixture to get more minutes into players & get an understanding of each other, but at the same time I wouldn't see the point risking the likes of Tommy Rowe & big Tom.
You wouldn't imagine it would be the sort of game to be picking up injuries though, not impact ones anyway.

If I'm home tomorrow I'll probably attend.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 20, 2021, 04:31:54 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I understand why people think it's a good time to make changes but if Man City U23s are beatable i can't understand why we wouldn't go out with the best team we have and win the game. Momentum is huge and we've just scraped a win nows the time to push for another victory even if it's in a competition we don't care about.

Back to back wins will improve our performance on Saturday more than a rest.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 20, 2021, 04:38:01 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
We could use this competition the way that Prem clubs use the FA & League Cups. Don't take it seriously in the early rounds. Use it to benefit us in the way we require and then if we get to the latter stages somehow by doing this - then maybe take it seriously when we are a game or so away from Wembley.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 20, 2021, 06:54:06 pm by scawsby steve »
According to RW in the DFP, it'll be almost a different starting 11 to the team that played on Saturday.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 21, 2021, 01:33:08 am by Bailey Vickerage »
According to RW in the DFP, it'll be almost a different starting 11 to the team that played on Saturday.
we must have at least 4 players in the starting 11 who started against Morecambe but like I said previously I can see there being at least 5 changes.

Reckon the team will be something like this:

Louis Jones

Charlie Seaman
Ro-Shaun Williams
Joseph Olowu
Branden Horton

Dan Gardner
John Bostock
Ben Close

Rodrigo Vilca
Tiago Cukur
Jordi Hiwula

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 21, 2021, 07:58:30 am by Donnywolf »
Slightly off topic but how much is Car Park tonight pls

Which Park - how much - pay on entry ?

cheers

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 21, 2021, 08:25:03 am by One_Matty_Lucas »
I'd play Williams and Bogle...

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on September 21, 2021, 09:03:08 am by IDM »
I’d be tempted to make changes to get minutes into the rest of the squad, but also pick a strong bench with the rested first teamers - maybe some would get game time later on.?

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on September 21, 2021, 09:06:37 am by 5minstogo »
I'd play Williams and Bogle...

So would I.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on September 21, 2021, 10:47:58 am by The Beast »
Teams like your City's, Chelsea's and United's are like the football equivalent of the North Sea factory fishing ships, hoovering up all the talent in this country and Europe, and then jettisoning them to all corners when the time is right and they look like being just "Average" players.

Hope we can give them a good game for our benefit.

Man City have got 29 players out on loan and will still be able to put out a more than competitive u21 team tonight. People moan about getting loan players in but you’ve got little choice really now, as all the talent in the country is hoovered up by a few clubs. It’s not healthy for the game and when you think that we beat their first team in 2005, shows how the goalposts have moved in a relatively short length of time. Every new deal and new rule change, like the EPPA, is stacked in the favour of the big clubs and makes the gulf even bigger.
Anyway that’s my rant, back to the game, I reckon 1-1 if Anderson plays, 1-3 if not.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012