Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 01:16:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Pete Coulson  (Read 1679 times)

Capmeister

• Forum Member
Pete Coulson
« on May 07, 2014, 07:37:16 pm by Capmeister »
I hope his family won't mind me posting on here but I felt I needed to note the passing of Pete Coulson. It's been a terrible few weeks what with the equally sad loss of Ray Dunning at the Leicester game.

Some of you may remember Pete, a stalwart of the mainstand terrace, Belle Vue, when I first knew him. He was immediately recognisable, dressed immaculately in pinstripe suit, Rovers embossed tie and trademark grey raincoat in the winter. His grey hair was equally expertly coiffeured, together with neatly trimmed David Nivenesque moustache.

My first recollection of Pete was, I believe, Rovers debut at Northampton's then new Sixfield's stadium. I was in the pub just up from the ground. As was customary with Pete, we soon struck up a conversation. I don't remember the score but I will always remember Pete. He was just immediately likeable and over the years I'd like to think we became good friends. I loved his tales of Rovers, trips to Plymouth and Portmouth in the days before motorways were built, memorable players and games he'd watched from a bygone era. He was present, like my Dad, at the famous Man City 4-3 turnround in the 50/51 season. And I'll never forget how he used to blag me into the old Rovers bar (later to become Town Moor golf club) even though I didn't possess a tie! He also had the longest supporters club badge, the one with the bars!

God bless you Pete and my condolences to his family and particularly, your sister Peg. I think the world will be a little less interesting without you.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Mike_F

• VSC Member
Re: Pete Coulson
« Reply #1 on May 07, 2014, 07:40:49 pm by Mike_F »
I believe from the description you gave that he used to stand with my uncle and his pals down towards the rosso end of the Mainstand. I can't imagine there being two blokes who fit that description to a tee. If it's the chap i'm thinking of then he made a yound Mike feel very welcome twenty years ago and played a significant part in getting me into my lifelong Rovers addiction.

RIP Pete.

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 07, 2014, 07:46:26 pm by Capmeister »
One and the same Mike. It was his funeral today. The sermon inevitably remarked on his love of the Rovers.

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 07, 2014, 08:16:32 pm by podrover73 »
Capmeister , thanks for posting about Pete , as you say it was his funeral today which I attended and the sermon did mention his love of watching the Rovers through thick and thin.

Pete continued to follow the Rovers up until November of this season as you say in his trademark raincoat and would be there in all weathers.
He would strike up a conversation with anyone and had many stories about his time in the navy and his trips overseas and also his away days with the Rovers.

As you say he collected date bars every year from some time in the 1950's and always carried it with him to games , he even discussed selling it to John Ryan at one particular game.

He watched the team fall all the way to the conference but never gave up on them and he was very proud and he never envisaged that he would see them win at the Millenium stadium , Wembley stadium or for the team to get back into the Championship.

He was a great guy and will be sadly missed by all who knew him. 

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 07, 2014, 09:26:36 pm by idler »
If it's the man I'm thinking of he was a true gentleman.
I remember the relegation season of 1966/67 and as support at away games tailed off he was always there on the bus.
I don't know how old he was but he never seemed 40 odd years older than those days when I saw him this season.
Immaculate as you say.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 08, 2014, 03:47:56 pm by the vicar »
I used to work with him years ago last time I saw him he looked terrible white as a RIP Pete mate

TinyPortal © 2005-2012