Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 04:12:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers for a late run into the playoffs?  (Read 39860 times)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Rovers for a late run into the playoffs?
« Reply #30 on January 06, 2018, 09:54:53 pm by Chris Black come back »
How did you and poor old John McGrath get on?

How on earth did you squeeze that first goal in against Arsenal?

What did you think when Akinfenwa first turned up at training?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 06, 2018, 09:56:12 pm by Michael McIndoe »
2 weeks ago we were looking like being involved in a relegation battle. I can't see us mounting a play off challenge.
If the season ended tonight I'd be happy with our final league position

Do you think you could win 10 out of your next 20 matches because if so I think you’ve got a good chance of sneaking into the playoffs?

Where do you think you need strengthening right now?

We've every chance of winning 10 games but we've also every chance of losing 10. We're in great form at the minute with some tough games ahead this month so see where we are on the 1st Feb.

We need some pace and we need some experience in the middle of the park. Someone who loves a tackle

I’ve got some pace and experience but as we all know I definitely didn’t love a tackle!

Would be awesome if you guys could reach the playoffs. I’d love to see Donny back in the Championship again.  :bbscarf:

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 06, 2018, 09:58:29 pm by Michael McIndoe »
I would agree that we are short of an enforcer in midfielder someone akin to John Doolan who was highly skilful and good dish out some pain to others who were unwise to mix it with him

Or a Ricky Ravenhill.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on January 06, 2018, 09:58:55 pm by Copps is Magic »
Unfair question to ask Michael to elaborate further on the broad statement he made in his book.

Why? You do know what publishing a book is dont you? Its releasing large amounts of information into the public domain. A choice he made. He also has a choice to answer the question or not.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on January 06, 2018, 09:59:46 pm by dickos1 »
I think 1969 has seen to Michael not answering any questions

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on January 06, 2018, 10:01:24 pm by Michael McIndoe »
What was it like being the only 2003-era division 3 player to own white boots?

Funny somebody asked me the same question on Twitter today! I loved those boots. Had some goals in them. In answer to your question I suppose somebody had to wear them!

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 06, 2018, 10:13:19 pm by Michael McIndoe »
How did you and poor old John McGrath get on?

How on earth did you squeeze that first goal in against Arsenal?

What did you think when Akinfenwa first turned up at training?

You know what me and John McGrath got on ok. I think he handled the situation very well.

Honestly I still don't know to this day how it went in. I could stand there and do it a thousand times and I don't think I could repeat what I did!

When Bayo first turned up I thought "Uh oh our centre halves are in trouble in training!"  :laugh: A player we 100% should've kept but I don't think Dave Penney liked it when Bayo called him "Gaff" every morning.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on January 06, 2018, 10:30:05 pm by Branton Rover »
Michael is being moderated by the forum and he has asked me to verify that he is endeavouring to answer all questions but as he’s new to the forum his posts are being heavily monitored for anything potentially controversial.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 06, 2018, 11:17:29 pm by anne honemous »
Hi Michael.

Can you remember the game at Walsall on New Years Day 2005?

If so, what happened...

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on January 06, 2018, 11:25:26 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Macca, you being on here has made me forget about the shite result today. Up the reds.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on January 06, 2018, 11:28:33 pm by Scooter »
After reading your book and the reasons behind changing clubs do you wish you had stayed at Rovers and played in our championship years?

Forum Admin

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on January 06, 2018, 11:40:26 pm by Forum Admin »
Michael is being moderated by the forum and he has asked me to verify that he is endeavouring to answer all questions but as he’s new to the forum his posts are being heavily monitored for anything potentially controversial.

Michael will now be able to post freely as he has made 10 posts (all new users have to have their first 10 posts manually approved).

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on January 06, 2018, 11:40:49 pm by since-1969 »
Q)2 Are you going around all the forums of teams you once turned for , trying to mend fences? Or just touting  your book. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 09:20:30 am by since-1969 »

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on January 06, 2018, 11:50:54 pm by pib »
After reading your book and the reasons behind changing clubs do you wish you had stayed at Rovers and played in our championship years?

As an extension to this question. How do you think you'd have thrived (or otherwise) under Sean O'Driscoll?

I think you'd have been his sort of player and would've been brilliant for us in our Championship years (although he didn't really do wingers so probably would've given you a more central "free role")

If this really is Macca posting on here, can only echo some of the other comments. What a player for us. Was gutted when you left. One of few Rovers players from my time going the match who got you leaning forward when he got the ball in anticipation of him skinning the full back and whipping a cross in. The roar of the Pop Stand as he used to belt down the wing. Fond memories.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on January 07, 2018, 11:01:01 am by phil old leake »
It could be on if we find a goal scorer otherwise  we can forget it unfortunately I’m desperate to see Kiwomya

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on January 07, 2018, 11:16:06 am by The Red Baron »
Hi Michael. Nice to hear from you. I always enjoyed watching you play for us.

To answer your question - not a chance. We don't score enough goals. I am hopeful we will avoid the drop zone with something to spare but no way are we a top six side.

With some new signings next season we might be able to kick on though.

Hi The Red Baron. Interesting to hear that. Is Copps still your best player?

Michael

Technically he is far and away our best player. He doesn't boss games these days but we function much more effectively as a unit when he's on the field. I put the huge number of misplaced passes in the first half yesterday down to his absence.

His workload does have to be managed so he can't play in every game, but we need to get 12-15 really good performances out of him between now and the end of the season. If we do, we will not be looking over our shoulders.

Increasingly I get the feeling this will be his last season with us. I really hope I'm wrong because he will be dreadfully missed, both as a player and a personality.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on January 07, 2018, 11:59:53 am by Copps is Magic »
Macca, a number of rovers fans have picked up on you mentioning in your book a bit if a 'drinking culture' existed at rovers in your time. Care to elaborate? It didn't seem to be detrimental to performances, or was it?

Back in 2003 there was still a small drinking culture throughout football. Physically some players struggled in League One and I don’t think it was to do with their footballing ability it was more to do with how they lived their lives. It was about 20% of the old Rovers squad and without naming names most of those players were binned within 18 months.. It wasn’t detrimental as most of those players didn’t play a major part in the time I was there.

Cheers for the answer.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on January 07, 2018, 12:07:52 pm by graingrover »
Hi MM .. I'm the guy who offered you the copy of Stan Mathews' autobiography in your Rovers' days . We may challenge this year but it would be too early for the squad we have to sustain a challenge in the Championship . We are in season two of a five year plan of building a squad with the strength to perform well in the Championship . This means developing young players and we have recruited probably 40-50 % of them up to now ; Lawlor , Mason , Beestin , May , Marquis and Kiwomya. In addition we have Houghton who we hope to convert to our own ranks and maybe also Kongolo and even Whiteman still a possibility.
         We do have good financial backing from Terry Bramall and Andy Watson both Doncaster families . We have a good businness model we call Club Doncaster which is working very well building our community relationships .
           Thanks for your interest .l   

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on January 07, 2018, 12:22:26 pm by the vicar »
If we bring in a a regular left back a midfielder with some bite and a fare striker we have a chance, if not then sadley we could see ourselves slide down the table

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on January 07, 2018, 12:49:02 pm by anne honemous »
Has McIndoe done a runner again and won't answer any questions?

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on January 07, 2018, 01:52:54 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Has McIndoe done a runner again and won't answer any questions?

You're obviously someone who has been reading too many tabloids - NO I definitely haven't "done a runner" as you put it. I hadn't done one in the first place. I will be answering your questions. I couldn't post more than 10 responses yesterday which the admin have already explained.

In response to your question about the Walsall game 2005 on New Year's Day - I don't remember too much about it because I got knocked out in midair, landed on my neck and taken off with concussion. I sat in the away dressing room which they'd painted a sh1tty brown colour. However it was nice to see Merse on the day.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on January 07, 2018, 01:58:00 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Macca, you being on here has made me forget about the shite result today. Up the reds.

Hi Monkcaster_Rover Thanks for your comment mate. It's a unique opportunity for me to chat about football with you because I don't think I will get much more of chance as I'm going back into the gamel. And as you know players are warned never to go on the fan's forums!

Yesterday's result means you can now focus on the league!

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on January 07, 2018, 01:59:27 pm by Michael McIndoe »

Thank you for reading the book. I hope you enjoyed it.

Yes if Dave Penney had left earlier. I probably would've stayed. I would've loved to have played with Donny in the new stadium in the Championship.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on January 07, 2018, 02:03:34 pm by dickos1 »
Who was the best player you played with at rovers?
And the worst, if you can answer that

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on January 07, 2018, 02:06:59 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Q)2 Are you going around all the forums of teams you once turned for , trying to mend fences? Or just touting  your book.

At the moment I'm only on the Bristol City forum and this one. I won't be going on all my old club forums because to be completely honest I didn't enjoy playing for all of them! Of course I am trying to raise awareness of the book and put the facts out there to correct some of the rubbish that has been written in the media about me. There's also a lot in that book about your own football club, that you are most definitely not aware of that I think you'll enjoy. But more importantly it's the first time in my career that I've been able to properly interact with fans and in particular Doncaster, who I loved playing football for.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on January 07, 2018, 02:13:31 pm by Michael McIndoe »

As an extension to this question. How do you think you'd have thrived (or otherwise) under Sean O'Driscoll?

I think you'd have been his sort of player and would've been brilliant for us in our Championship years (although he didn't really do wingers so probably would've given you a more central "free role")

If this really is Macca posting on here, can only echo some of the other comments. What a player for us. Was gutted when you left. One of few Rovers players from my time going the match who got you leaning forward when he got the ball in anticipation of him skinning the full back and whipping a cross in. The roar of the Pop Stand as he used to belt down the wing. Fond memories.

Thank you for your generous comments. It is 100% me. The noise that you fans made on that side of the pitch when I picked up the ball used to give me goosebumps and an adrenaline rush that nothing else in the world can give you.

After watching Sean O'Driscoll's style of play it most definitely would've suited me for sure. I think he would've given me even more freedom to express myself.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on January 07, 2018, 02:18:01 pm by Michael McIndoe »
It could be on if we find a goal scorer otherwise  we can forget it unfortunately I’m desperate to see Kiwomya

Where would you play Kiwomya? On the wing or up front?

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on January 07, 2018, 02:19:09 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Hi Michael. Nice to hear from you. I always enjoyed watching you play for us.

To answer your question - not a chance. We don't score enough goals. I am hopeful we will avoid the drop zone with something to spare but no way are we a top six side.

With some new signings next season we might be able to kick on though.

Is there any talk about if the club will offer him a new contract? Or will they let him leave?
Hi The Red Baron. Interesting to hear that. Is Copps still your best player?

Michael

Technically he is far and away our best player. He doesn't boss games these days but we function much more effectively as a unit when he's on the field. I put the huge number of misplaced passes in the first half yesterday down to his absence.

His workload does have to be managed so he can't play in every game, but we need to get 12-15 really good performances out of him between now and the end of the season. If we do, we will not be looking over our shoulders.

Increasingly I get the feeling this will be his last season with us. I really hope I'm wrong because he will be dreadfully missed, both as a player and a personality.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on January 07, 2018, 02:23:52 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Hi MM .. I'm the guy who offered you the copy of Stan Mathews' autobiography in your Rovers' days . We may challenge this year but it would be too early for the squad we have to sustain a challenge in the Championship . We are in season two of a five year plan of building a squad with the strength to perform well in the Championship . This means developing young players and we have recruited probably 40-50 % of them up to now ; Lawlor , Mason , Beestin , May , Marquis and Kiwomya. In addition we have Houghton who we hope to convert to our own ranks and maybe also Kongolo and even Whiteman still a possibility.
         We do have good financial backing from Terry Bramall and Andy Watson both Doncaster families . We have a good businness model we call Club Doncaster which is working very well building our community relationships .
           Thanks for your interest .l

Hi again Graingrover. Yes we recently spoke on Twitter :) I still have that book in my collection.

Interesting to hear about the rebuilding process you're going through. I've always said if the community are onside with the football club, and you can get some hungry footballers in that want to play then you will get success. 

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on January 07, 2018, 02:25:52 pm by Michael McIndoe »
If we bring in a a regular left back a midfielder with some bite and a fare striker we have a chance, if not then sadley we could see ourselves slide down the table

Have you heard any names that the manager is looking to sign in this window?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012