Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 05:39:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Over 100 games  (Read 6912 times)

anne honemous

• Forum Member
Over 100 games
« on January 10, 2018, 11:41:03 am by anne honemous »
I'll source the photos as we go.

To start, here's the player who has made the 7th most appearances since we rejoined the Football League.

In total, he played 187 games for us - how he got so many is mind boggling!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Over 100 games
« Reply #1 on January 10, 2018, 11:49:04 am by IDM »
Lewis (Greg Louganis) Guy!!

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 10, 2018, 12:22:47 pm by Dr Fundlekrotch »
According to Wikipedia, he has scored 36 goals in 310 appearances across a variety of clubs.  1 goal every 8.6 games.  His period with us is shown on Wikipedia as 18 goals in 148 appearances - 1 in every 8.2 appearances.  It seems he got marginally worse after leaving Donny

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 10, 2018, 02:22:35 pm by DMnumber4 »
Simon Gillett.

Correct. He made 81 appearances and my abiding memory of him was his performance at Preston on the opening day of the season before we got relegated.

Next...

didn't he get sent off?!

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 10, 2018, 09:16:42 pm by Bessie Red »
Harry Forrester.
He always reminded me of a bloke I worked with many years ago who was an absolutely brilliant footballer and had loads of clubs after him but never turned up for trials coz he couldn't be arsed or it was raining.

I'd agree.

I've always thought he's an incredibly talented footballer, certainly capable of getting into any top five list of most talented players we've had over the last 15 years, but he couldn't be bothered most of the time.

The old cliche of 'hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard' almost perfectly sums up how his career could have panned out, to how it actually has panned out.

There will almost surely come a day when he'll look back on his career and wish he'd wanted it a bit more, rather than wanting the footballer's lifestyle.

That's everyone on the Under 100 appearances list as well.

There's 26 players who've made more appearances in the set timescales, so I'll get there photos and keep it going until we reach the end.
Top 5 most talented in last 15 years not sure about that.
My top 5 would be (in no particular order)
El Hadj Diouf
Copps
Richie Wellens
Brian Stock
Michael McIndoe

It's all about opinions though I suppose.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 10, 2018, 09:43:11 pm by anne honemous »
Harry Forrester.
He always reminded me of a bloke I worked with many years ago who was an absolutely brilliant footballer and had loads of clubs after him but never turned up for trials coz he couldn't be arsed or it was raining.

I'd agree.

I've always thought he's an incredibly talented footballer, certainly capable of getting into any top five list of most talented players we've had over the last 15 years, but he couldn't be bothered most of the time.

The old cliche of 'hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard' almost perfectly sums up how his career could have panned out, to how it actually has panned out.

There will almost surely come a day when he'll look back on his career and wish he'd wanted it a bit more, rather than wanting the footballer's lifestyle.

That's everyone on the Under 100 appearances list as well.

There's 26 players who've made more appearances in the set timescales, so I'll get there photos and keep it going until we reach the end.
Top 5 most talented in last 15 years not sure about that.
My top 5 would be (in no particular order)
El Hadj Diouf
Copps
Richie Wellens
Brian Stock
Michael McIndoe

It's all about opinions though I suppose.

I think Forrester potentially was as good as Wellens, but what made Wellens stand out was his work ethic. He wouldn't go missing when the going got tough, whereas Forrester struggled in the same scenario.

If Forrester had had more desire to succeed, probably since an early age, he'd be a regular at Championship level at least by now.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 10, 2018, 09:49:02 pm by anne honemous »

Correct.

What strikes me most about Guy is he's now 32 years of age and without a club (according to his Wikipedia page anyway).

At that age, even those strikers who've generally struggled in the Football League but still pinched the odd contract here and there, are generally still playing somewhere - such as Emile Sinclair at Ossett Town who is around the same age as Guy.

Guy, however, is nowhere to be seen.

Anyway next up, a player with 120 appearances and definitely a single figure shot tally in his three seasons with us...

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 10, 2018, 09:51:53 pm by anne honemous »
Simon Gillett.

Correct. He made 81 appearances and my abiding memory of him was his performance at Preston on the opening day of the season before we got relegated.

Next...

didn't he get sent off?!

Yep. Rightly so, IIRC.

Think Darren Ferguson was the Preston manager that day as well.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 10, 2018, 09:59:45 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Forrester was a gutless show pony.

That d**khead drop ball goal against Bury.

That idiotic sending off away at Bristol City.

The match at home to Sheffield Utd when we were drawing 0-0, we got a penalty and they had a man sent off. Tyson was our usual penalty taker but Forrester grabbed the ball off him and had his penalty saved. We lost 0-1. Stupid, immature egotistical shite.

And then the home match against Bristol City when they kicked the living shite out of us (the one where Wilbrahim kicked Wabara’s hands two foot over the touchline as he grabbed the ball to take a throw. Forrester was off the pitch by then. Substituted at half time and the biggest shite-it 45 mins I have ever seen. I’ve never seen a professional footballer nesh so many tackles as he did that night.

Talent is worthless without some b*llocks and professionalism.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 10, 2018, 10:14:02 pm by IDM »

The match at home to Sheffield Utd when we were drawing 0-0, we got a penalty and they had a man sent off. Tyson was our usual penalty taker but Forrester grabbed the ball off him and had his penalty saved. We lost 0-1. Stupid, immature egotistical shite.

And then the home match against Bristol City when they kicked the living shite out of us (the one where Wilbrahim kicked Wabara’s hands two foot over the touchline as he grabbed the ball to take a throw. Forrester was off the pitch by then. Substituted at half time and the biggest shite-it 45 mins I have ever seen. I’ve never seen a professional footballer nesh so many tackles as he did that night.

And in that game Curtis Main scored a worldy..

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 10, 2018, 10:18:40 pm by idler »

Correct.

What strikes me most about Guy is he's now 32 years of age and without a club (according to his Wikipedia page anyway).

At that age, even those strikers who've generally struggled in the Football League but still pinched the odd contract here and there, are generally still playing somewhere - such as Emile Sinclair at Ossett Town who is around the same age as Guy.

Anyway next up, a player with 120 appearances and definitely a single figure shot tally in his three seasons with us...
John Oster was another blessed with talent but not enough application to use it to it's potential.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 10, 2018, 10:18:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Funny old game. Main scored 2 or 3 of the best strikes I’ve ever seen from a Rovers player. That one against Bristol City and one away at Bradford stand out. The rest of the time he looked lobotomised.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 10, 2018, 10:28:55 pm by IDM »
It wasn’t just the screamer of a shot against, Bristol, it was the way he won the all and beat a few defenders before shooting..  if only he could have played like that more often..

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 10, 2018, 10:45:15 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I've hit treble twenty 3 times in my local over the years, but punters still run for cover every time I play darts.

Selective memory I call it. bas**rds.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 10, 2018, 11:31:24 pm by anne honemous »

Correct.

John Oster was another blessed with talent but not enough application to use it to it's potential.

John Oster is, obviously, the latest player.

My biggest frustration with him was his reluctance to shoot even at times when having a pop was the best option. The amount of times he'd look for a pass with the goal gaping was frightening!

Two goals in 120 appearances sort of backs that up as well.

Next...

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 10, 2018, 11:34:05 pm by Mustapha-Dump »
Lockwood

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 11, 2018, 01:21:45 am by RoversAlias »
Under-appreciated a bit was Locky I always thought. A true professional who came up the leagues essentially parallel to us and then with us. Did very well despite injuries derailing his career a fair bit.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 11, 2018, 02:39:41 am by anne honemous »
Lockwood

Correct.

Lockwood weighed in with 179 appearances and is eighth on the list.

Next up, someone who has just got over the century, but his days with us are almost certainly numbered...

KiwiRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 11, 2018, 04:00:53 am by KiwiRover »
Willo

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 11, 2018, 10:52:56 am by anne honemous »
Willo

Correct.

Next up, someone who made 145 appearances...

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 11, 2018, 11:06:27 am by idler »
Paul Keegan.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 11, 2018, 11:19:47 am by IDM »
Paul Keegan.

Could have still done a job this season IMHO..

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 11, 2018, 12:15:45 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Paul Keegan.

Could have still done a job this season IMHO..

If he was fit. The fact he only made that many appearances over 7? seasons speaks volumes.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 11, 2018, 01:09:25 pm by DMnumber4 »

You are Harry Forrester's agent and I claim my £5 (subject to royalties)!!!

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 11, 2018, 01:40:22 pm by Dutch Uncle »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 11, 2018, 02:04:18 pm by RoversAlias »
A great read, that. Always had a lot of respect for Keegs and the role he performed for us. I think it's interesting to hear that Dickov got the best out of him, not often you hear that of PD who seemed a nice bloke but inept at football management.

Habib Beye trained at PSG then just flew in for games! What a disgrace that whole season truly was, what a shame J.R. elected to take that route after so many years of great success.

Also, anyone know which bar in the area it was that Keegan owned?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 11, 2018, 06:57:44 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Willo

Correct.

Next up, someone who made 145 appearances...

Paul Keegan.

Very interesting read here, especially Paul's comments on the 'Experiment'.

http://www.the42.ie/paul-keegan-league-of-ireland-legends-3622778-Oct2017/

Good read but he’s not got the best memory of the run up to O’Driscoll’s end.

“we had too many draws come the start of the following season”

The actual run in the league was LLLLDLL.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 11, 2018, 07:02:45 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I do remember when Keegan first joined us though. Excellent half as sub against Barnsley on debut. Then the following week, his first start against Burnley. He had Chris Eagles in his pocket. I thought we had a real star on our hands. We might have done barring his knees.

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 11, 2018, 07:24:39 pm by LincolnDonny »
some have said about when players start with us .and how great potentially they are and then they "bust"

can i throw this thought in?

haircuts
and as soon as they change styles or have a short/shorter hair cut.
thats when they go downhill

before you say it as an example Keegan cant come under this thought .but hey..........it was just a thought

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 11, 2018, 10:06:10 pm by anne honemous »
Paul Keegan.

Correct of course.

My view is that Keegan would be exactly the type of player that'd be useful to us right now. Whether or not he'd have remained fit for a full season is another question, but if so, he'd certainly have been useful and given us some bite in midfield.

He also had a trial with us towards the end of the 2004-05 season and played in a couple of reserves matches as well, for those that don't know.

Next up, someone who had a couple of good appearances here and there, but didn't overly impress in his 131 outings...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012