Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 12:20:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Blatant penalty !  (Read 29244 times)

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
Re: Blatant penalty !
« Reply #60 on January 13, 2018, 06:21:55 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Subs needed making as we were getting overrun!
May was awful though but whiteman wasn't any better. Rowe also had a very poor game

I thought Rowe played well in the first half and totally disappeared after being shunted out onto the left hand side. It is blatantly obvious that there is no point playing him there and he is much more effective in a central role.

But, despite Ferguson's subs/formation change not paying off I'm not criticising him tonight after hearing that post-match interview. He is spot on with every point, especially the officials and it needed saying. I don't blame him for losing his rag. He was dead right about May as well unfortunately.

BST - Not a prayer that Fergie's job is on the line, that's a silly thing to say in my opinion. Of course he shouldn't say that about officials and he probably will be fined and/or banned but everyone at Rovers will be in agreement with him and rightly so, because it's about time someone took these beyond shit referees to task. The entire system needs looking at because all it's produced is inept muppets ruining the game week after week.

Actually RoversAlias, I thing BST has called it right.  I suspect club management may take a very dim view of what Fergie has said.  They're trying to build a club with a growing fan base based on getting more families and youngsters in.  Public comments like that is not the sort of example they will want set.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on January 13, 2018, 06:23:18 pm by drfchound »
It doesn’t matter that he’s right about the officials. They were awful. The ref and linesman missed a red card offence with the elbow on Mason in the first half.

But you can’t go round saying you’d shoot the officials. That’s grossly irresponsible. I suspect he’s just put his job on the line.

His job on the line? Seems a slight over reaction.

It's an interesting suggestion from BST. In my line of work I'd certainly be out the door if I made comments like Ferguson's.

No way will he lose his job for making those comments.

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on January 13, 2018, 06:23:51 pm by CrippyCooke »
It doesn’t matter that he’s right about the officials. They were awful. The ref and linesman missed a red card offence with the elbow on Mason in the first half.

But you can’t go round saying you’d shoot the officials. That’s grossly irresponsible. I suspect he’s just put his job on the line.

His job on the line? Seems a slight over reaction.

It's an interesting suggestion from BST. In my line of work I'd certainly be out the door if I made comments like Ferguson's.

Depends who you're making the comments about, the referees aren't his boss, if he'd said this about his bosses then maybe

No, I'd be sacked if I said it about other agencies I work with. He won't be sacked though, obviously.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on January 13, 2018, 06:25:03 pm by RoversAlias »
Again, I get it and agree it is inappropriate but I have faith that Bramall, Watson, Blunt et al are sensible and smart enough to take that comment in its context. Especially if they all saw the game today as I expect they did.

Just the other day I used the same expression to describe someone I felt had been inept in something. It's an exaggerative, flippant remark said by someone who is understandably pissed off. The hierarchy at the club will not look dimly on Ferguson for it, and he won't even need talking to because I guarantee you that Fergie himself will admit he shouldn't have said it.

The refereeing body/FA coming down hard on him is a different story of course.

John Sitton legend

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on January 13, 2018, 06:25:06 pm by John Sitton legend »
Ha ha
What is?
So your telling me the players aren't fitter now than 20 years ago?
Even the players from that era openly admit that

Errr which players. The ones you manage on football manager 1998 ?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on January 13, 2018, 06:25:33 pm by Chris Black come back »
He is a public figure and has made an irresponsible statement that could lead some fool to think any form of physical violence against a referee is acceptable. "Sack him" or "give him his P45" or whatever, but "shoot him" I would expect is going to lead to a tonne of bricks currently being ordered from Soho Square for express delivery to the Keepmoat Stadium.

John Sitton legend

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on January 13, 2018, 06:27:37 pm by John Sitton legend »
Again, I get it and agree it is inappropriate but I have faith that Bramall, Watson, Blunt et al are sensible and smart enough to take that comment in its context. Especially if they all saw the game today as I expect they did.

Just the other day I used the same expression to describe someone I felt had been inept in something. It's an exaggerative, flippant remark said by someone who is understandably pissed off. The hierarchy at the club will not look dimly on Ferguson for it, and he won't even need talking to because I guarantee you that Fergie himself will admit he shouldn't have said it.

If the owners watched the same shite I have to endure they’d surely sack him !

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on January 13, 2018, 06:27:44 pm by dickos1 »
Ha ha
What is?

You're either winding me up or just thick.

Players used to go out on the beer after training every day, they had no diet, training was completely different

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on January 13, 2018, 06:28:26 pm by dickos1 »

This guy was attempting to defend esdaille the other day! Are we sure it's not the same fella

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on January 13, 2018, 06:28:30 pm by Jonathan »
It’s just a harmless turn of phrase. I don’t think he was suggesting we should get armed and blow their brains out from the stands.

But we live in a generation where ”we are offended” by pretty much anything.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on January 13, 2018, 06:28:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
RA

You reckon Ferguson is right to say that he would shoot refs and that he should only get a slap on the wrist then we have different standards.

Football managers are highly paid professionals. They have a social responsibility. That Kitson Mourinho hounded a referee to the point that the ref was getting death threats from Chelsea fans and had to retire early. Ferguson talking like this is massively unprofessional. It reflects on the club and it normalises a culture where hard-working, not very well-paid, honest but fallible officials become the target for abuse.

If I were the club owner, I’d tell him to call a press conference tomorrow and apologise unreservedly, or I would sack him.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on January 13, 2018, 06:30:27 pm by drfchound »
Ha ha
What is?

Of course players are much fitter than they were twenty years ago.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on January 13, 2018, 06:30:34 pm by dickos1 »
RA

You reckon Ferguson is right to say that he would shoot refs and that he should only get a slap on the wrist then we have different standards.

Football managers are highly paid professionals. They have a social responsibility. That Kitson Mourinho hounded a referee to the point that the ref was getting death threats from Chelsea fans and had to retire early. Ferguson talking like this is massively unprofessional. It reflects on the club and it normalises a culture where hard-working, not very well-paid, honest but fallible officials become the target for abuse.

If I were the club owner, I’d tell him to call a press conference tomorrow and apologise unreservedly, or I would sack him.

Give over
You're not telling me you think he was being serious? It was a throw away comment, a poor one.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on January 13, 2018, 06:30:45 pm by Bentley Bullet »
If I heard it right I think Fergie's comment is being taken out of context. He was asked what should be done about the poor standard of refereeing and he replied, 'what can you do? Shoot them"?

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on January 13, 2018, 06:31:19 pm by CrippyCooke »
It’s just a harmless turn of phrase. I don’t think he was suggesting we should get armed and blow their brains out from the stands.

But we live in a generation where ”we are offended” by pretty much anything.

We also live in a generation where anyone who say that comments or certain behaviours are idiotic or harmful is accused of being "offended" at everything.

I'm not offended by what Ferguson has said, I just think it's ridiculously unprofessional and brings unnecessary negative attention onto the club.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on January 13, 2018, 06:32:22 pm by Filo »
If I heard it right I think Fergie's comment is being taken out of context. He was asked what should be done about the poor standard of refereeing and he replied, 'what can you do? Shoot them"?

And thats how it came across to me, the media wil blow it well out of proportion as usual

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on January 13, 2018, 06:32:33 pm by dickos1 »
I think it could bring positive attention, lots of fans around the country will feel the same way

The standard at times is disgraceful

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on January 13, 2018, 06:32:48 pm by dickos1 »

And thats how it came across to me, the media wil blow it well out of proportion as usual

And me

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on January 13, 2018, 06:33:04 pm by RoversAlias »
RA

I have already stated twice in this thread that I agree it isn't a good nor appropriate thing to say, BST. I don't believe it is acceptable but I also don't believe it merits what response you're suggesting by the club. By the FA/Referees board, absolutely. I expect a fine and ban. I expect not a peep from Rovers' board nor should there be.

I'm glad you're not the club owner in that case BST, as a full-on press conference to apologise for a throwaway, flippant remark would be an over-reaction in the extreme.

John Sitton legend

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on January 13, 2018, 06:33:42 pm by John Sitton legend »

This guy was attempting to defend esdaille the other day! Are we sure it's not the same fella

What just because I also don’t tend to agree with everything you say. Grow up man !

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on January 13, 2018, 06:35:19 pm by dickos1 »
Nobody else was defending the nonsense he was spouting and now your spouting similar nonsense

Maybe its a coincidence, but I doubt it

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on January 13, 2018, 06:35:44 pm by drfchound »
I think it could bring positive attention, lots of fans around the country will feel the same way

Rapid decline in quality and standards in refereeing over the last few years.
It does need highlighting because unless something is done to improve the officials it will continue to get worse.
What is wrong with giving a penalty?
It is as though they aren’t allowed to do it.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on January 13, 2018, 06:35:52 pm by RoversAlias »
As for negative attention for the club? Nigh on every neutral fan I've spoken to about it or seen on Twitter is actually in agreement with him. Most fans (and I dare say in private, players and certainly managers) will smile and agree with those comments from Fergie because we and they all understand how frustrating it is to see bad officiating constantly ruining games, wrecking club's fortunes and overshadowing the actual football.

I bet John Ryan will love what Ferguson had to say about them, we all remember how well he got on with the officials and he was the owner of course of this club not so long ago!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on January 13, 2018, 06:40:03 pm by Donnywolf »

It does need highlighting because unless something is done to improve the officials it will continue to get worse.

Ive seen three that were given today in various games and none of the three looked like they were Pens to me AND none of the three were therefore as clear cut as the one we did not get !

Anybody got video of the Pen we did not get with the same Ref last January v Crewe ?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on January 13, 2018, 06:40:37 pm by Filo »

Anywhere else on the pitch he gives a free kick, as he demonstrated 30 seconds later when he gave a free kick to Plymouth

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on January 13, 2018, 06:42:17 pm by Dutch Uncle »

IMHO, and I may be in a minority here, players and coaches have to accept some responsibility. The increase in diving and cheating, and the increase in subtlety thereof, has made a referee's job much much more difficult, to the extent that they no longer are able to believe that obvious looking things really are obvious any more.

Retrospective bans will eventually help.

VAR will help, but will that be rolled out below the Premier League?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on January 13, 2018, 06:42:57 pm by selby »
  He would not have had to say it 10yrs ago, Our then chairman would have said it for him.

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on January 13, 2018, 06:44:33 pm by deebee »
Donald Trump has just tweeted something very nasty but who will fine and sack him. In this case though I don't agree one jot with Trumps comments but Fergy's off the cuff in the heat of the moment well yeah.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on January 13, 2018, 06:46:13 pm by drfchound »

IMHO, and I may be in a minority here, players and coaches have to accept some responsibility. The increase in diving and cheating, and the increase in subtlety thereof, has made a referee's job much much more difficult, to the extent that they no longer are able to believe that obvious looking things really are obvious any more.

Retrospective bans will eventually help.

VAR will help, but will that be rolled out below the Premier League?

Dutch, I agree about the diving etc but sometimes refs have to be honest enough to give the obvious ones, like todays’.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on January 13, 2018, 06:50:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Ha ha
What is?

Alan Shearer regular expresses his amazement at how much more hard running players do today compared to what he did. There’s Opta stats going back that long and it’s unarguable. Players today regularly run up to 4km further during a match than players were doing 20 years ago.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012