Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:14:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Marquis  (Read 12007 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Marquis
« on January 13, 2018, 05:10:29 pm by Filo »
Puts some graft in, but the lad needs a rest, we need a big centre forward on loan to take the pressure off him

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Cramby10

• Forum Member
Re: Marquis
« Reply #1 on January 13, 2018, 05:20:13 pm by Cramby10 »
He works hard.  And he works some good positions. Of that there is no doubt but his decision making, his finishing and his final ball is beyond bad at the moment.
He needs someone breathing down his neck putting his place under pressure. Unfortunately we have no alternatives. We desperate for someone.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 13, 2018, 05:41:02 pm by since-1969 »
There is no one to step in , his work rate is great and until he gets a partner who can fill the gaps he creates it will be Marquis’s hard work that goes unfulfilled. Yet ... he had a great opportunity inthe first half 1on 1 and should have made them pay . 

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 13, 2018, 05:41:17 pm by Jonathan »
I thought we looked good with Marquis and Beestin upfront. Marquis worked tirelessly and was unfortunate not to score, shame because he deserves a goal.

We struggled after May (who I do think has potential) came on. We missed the touch and composure that Beestin had shown to hold the ball up and May seemed a bit over-keen and rash (including the daft foul for the equalising goal).

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 13, 2018, 06:05:54 pm by goalkick »
Def puts a shift in every game.desperately needs somone up front who he can play off.can only hope this happens.may does at the moment not seem to be that person.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 13, 2018, 06:06:09 pm by RoversAlias »
I think Marquis needs a break too and said as much at the game. His work, movement and link up away from the penalty box remains absolutely excellent but he isn't getting into goal scoring positions anywhere near enough. I'd be tempted to try Mandeville on his own up front for a couple of games and lean on the midfield for support.

I'm sure Selby will be along later but yes, May was dreadful today and Fergie was right in his post-match presser to say "I'm not sure what the lad was doing today when he came on" because he got everything wrong.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 13, 2018, 06:11:06 pm by Jonathan »
I think Marquis needs a break too and said as much at the game. His work, movement and link up away from the penalty box remains absolutely excellent but he isn't getting into goal scoring positions anywhere near enough. I'd be tempted to try Mandeville on his own up front for a couple of games and lean on the midfield for support.

I'm sure Selby will be along later but yes, May was dreadful today and Fergie was right in his post-match presser to say "I'm not sure what the lad was doing today when he came on" because he got everything wrong.

I don’t think Mandeville has the presence or energy to play up there on his own. If we took Marquis out of that team we would miss him terribly.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 13, 2018, 06:13:03 pm by mushRTID »
Really frustrating today but maybe he is just knackered.

The miss I though he could have chipped the keeper, he was quite a bit off his line. Should have been an easy lob for a professional footballer!

The one second half where Rowe was overlapping and he just had to slip him in (a simple pass) was terrible too.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 13, 2018, 06:15:59 pm by RoversAlias »

I don’t think Mandeville has the presence or energy to play up there on his own. If we took Marquis out of that team we would miss him terribly.

You're probably right, I just think he does need a bit of a break to help him get going again in terms of scoring goals. Unfortunately our only alternative is to play Mandeville and/or May.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 13, 2018, 06:18:59 pm by drfchound »
On the one on one miss, it is so easy from the stands to say chip the keeper but anyone who has ever played up front will know that it isn’t as easy as it may seem to be.
JM is seriously lacking confidence in front of goal right now and to me, never looked like he was going to score.
He needs a goal or two badly and they will come but his overall play warrants his place in the team.

Beestin was very good today but picked up an injury and that is why he went off.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 13, 2018, 06:24:37 pm by Jonathan »
A word for Jordan Houghton who once again showed why it’s so important that we secure him. Out best midfield player by a mile.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 13, 2018, 06:25:34 pm by dickos1 »
He was very good today houghton, him and coppinger were the only composure being shown today

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 13, 2018, 06:28:00 pm by drfchound »
He was very good today houghton, him and coppinger were the only composure being shown today

.......and still some people say Coppinger isn’t influential on the pitch anymore.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 13, 2018, 06:31:26 pm by Jonathan »

I thought Beestin showed composure and maturity beyond his years. I hadn’t realised he had picked up an injury which explains his substitution, but we missed him when he went off.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 13, 2018, 06:47:23 pm by pib »
Ferguson said in his post-match interview that he wasn't sure what May was playing at.  I feel like that was generous.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 13, 2018, 06:53:47 pm by GazLaz »
May is just not good enough, I say it every week. Too many romantics in here though. As for Marquis, he didn’t look tired when he was running clean through on goal. Just lacked quality.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 13, 2018, 06:55:21 pm by dickos1 »
Confidence that one on one,
He scored a harder one at Blackburn,

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 13, 2018, 06:56:55 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Good save as well?

May was Terrible, Marquis did well. I still want to see Mande get 5 games or so though.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 13, 2018, 07:00:47 pm by Filo »
May is just not good enough, I say it every week. Too many romantics in here though. As for Marquis, he didn’t look tired when he was running clean through on goal. Just lacked quality.

I'm in agreement Gaz, he's lucky to be playing at this level, it's only downward for him now, 100% tryer, but thats not enough

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 13, 2018, 07:01:22 pm by drfchound »
Good save as well?

May was Terrible, Marquis did well. I still want to see Mande get 5 games or so though.

Good point that, if Lawlor had saved from one of their players it would have been a good save rather than a bad miss.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 13, 2018, 07:03:06 pm by dickos1 »
They were on about one on ones on talk sport the other day, and they had someone on, a former striker I can't remember who.
And he said the stats show that the goalie is the overwhelming favourite in one on ones

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 13, 2018, 07:05:34 pm by drfchound »
They were on about one on ones on talk sport the other day, and they had someone on, a former striker I can't remember who.
And he said the stats show that the goalie is the overwhelming favourite in one on ones

Scoring a goal is the hardest thing to do in football so I would agree that keepers are favourites in one on one situations.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 13, 2018, 07:06:46 pm by dickos1 »
Remembered now
It was tony cascarino

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 13, 2018, 07:07:52 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Marquis will be fine. You can understand when short on confidence he tried to keep it simple and the keeper did his job very well. I think Marquis has done much better linking up recently (apart from the pass to Rowe)

It's a Copps didn't pick him out with a cross to the far post when he was unmarked. Blair also had a mind fart with one of his crosses. Poor execution at critical times was not just down to Marquis.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 13, 2018, 08:18:06 pm by selby »
  Rovers Alias, I don't have to mention May, lots are coming to the same conclusion as me 20 to 30 games later.
  One question to ask about the Marquis one on one is, how can someone carry the ball as far as he did, and beat a man, and non of our other players got up there with him to give him an alternative.
  Beestin tried a few flicks ( mostly cut out over or under hit ) at least he tries to bring other people into play, but until his goal, which he took very well, was hardly pulling any trees up, Rodney, and Rowe being the main danger with Marquis.
  It was noticeable that as soon as Alfie came on,Rowe and Marquis also became ineffective, it happens, just seems that you and a few others are in denial.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 13, 2018, 08:23:47 pm by Campsall rover »

There is no way you can play Mandy up front on his own. Needs a target man or hold up player, however you want to call him along side him.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 13, 2018, 08:25:29 pm by drfchound »
We need another experienced front man to partner Marquis.
It stands out for all to see.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:33:48 pm by drfchound »

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 13, 2018, 08:33:17 pm by Paul Simpson »
Kiwomya! That’s all ⚽️😀

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 13, 2018, 08:54:47 pm by RoversAlias »
  Rovers Alias, I don't have to mention May, lots are coming to the same conclusion as me 20 to 30 games later.
  One question to ask about the Marquis one on one is, how can someone carry the ball as far as he did, and beat a man, and non of our other players got up there with him to give him an alternative.
  Beestin tried a few flicks ( mostly cut out over or under hit ) at least he tries to bring other people into play, but until his goal, which he took very well, was hardly pulling any trees up, Rodney, and Rowe being the main danger with Marquis.
  It was noticeable that as soon as Alfie came on,Rowe and Marquis also became ineffective, it happens, just seems that you and a few others are in denial.

I'm not in denial at all but I knew you'd come along at some stage to talk about May's display so I thought I'd pre-empt it  :P

May was appalling today, everyone can see that, but it wasn't typical of his usual level even if we differ in opinion on what that level may be.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 13, 2018, 09:24:52 pm by selby »
 As  I thought you would reply, poor,and affects other players, I have not seen any comments on not getting on the end of the perfect cross from Blair yet either, sat back on his heels in front of goal again .

TinyPortal © 2005-2012