Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 04:56:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Marquis  (Read 12008 times)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Marquis
« Reply #60 on January 15, 2018, 09:31:55 am by GazLaz »
Gaz, I go to every game, and he has  not had a bad game when he has had the service from midfield.
  People keep on about our start to the season, the build up play was so slow it was pathetic,  The strikers didn't have a chance in the league games, where every team sat back and we did not get behind them, in the cup games the games were more open.
  His work rate is up their with anyone we have ever had, a good player, one no defender would like to try and mark.

I go to nearly every game and he has had some shockers earlier this season. I do think he’s been ok recently though, just need to start converting chances. You can’t keep missing chances however good your work rate is.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on January 15, 2018, 10:14:03 pm by Lesonthewest »
If Mandy had Alfie's work rate or if Alfie had Mandy's skill we would have a good player! Unlikely to happen, but out of the two I would go with Mandy to support JM, not much between Alfie and Mandy for me, reflecting upon their performances this season, but I'd rather take a chance on the player with more skill than effort at this stage in their careers. The only thing Marquis needs is a goal and then he will kick on!

With respect WarwickRover, at Mandevilles age & development, he should be busting a gut in effort as well has using his undoubted skill, that's what turns an average player into a good one.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on January 15, 2018, 11:32:49 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Tend to agree but with Mandeville sometimes you just can't tell. He looks knackered just by putting his boots on.

That's the enigma, remember Exeter last season when he broke away from the halfway line and squared for Marquis, defenders couldn't catch him!

Yet, this season hasn't rally shown much of the same or had the game time.

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on January 16, 2018, 09:44:01 am by anton123 »
I think beestin will start to get the nod for a few weeks not just cos he scored but his all round play and running , we will have some player on are hands in two years with this kid

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on January 16, 2018, 10:29:06 am by selby »
  Baz, I said weeks ago that Mandeville carries the ball quicker than most,he did it in the Cheka trade this season against against Rochdale and Scunthorpe.
  Compare that with Alfie chasing a ball carrier and having to lunge from the back of him and give away the free kick.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on January 16, 2018, 10:47:54 am by Bentley Bullet »
It's difficult at every level of football for strikers to perform when knowing there's someone on the bench ready to jump in their place after one under par performance, or a barren patch of scoring. They are put under more pressure than players in any other outfield position because their performances can be monitored on the actual fact of how many goals they score, as opposed to merely someone's opinion of their performances.

It is imperative therefore that a striker gets a fair crack of the whip, so to speak. No player can perform properly while looking over their shoulder in anticipation of being replaced.

That is the position where May, Beestin and Mandeville are at present, and they all seem to react differently towards it. May appears to try too hard, thus making occasional hurried wrong decisions. Manderville appears opposite to May, appearing to be too laid back, lazy and uninterested. Beesin at present seems the best option, although his stamina looks to let him down.

Marquis, although not scoring, has a massive advantage in the knowledge his position is almost permanent.

Whoever is picked to play alongside Marquis needs a decent run in the side.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on January 16, 2018, 10:53:25 am by The Red Baron »
I was a bit surprised that Beestin got the nod last Saturday but I thought he did enough to keep the shirt for a few games.

You have to accept he probably won't go the distance at this stage of his career. I would say when he does come off Mandeville is the best option to replace him.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on January 16, 2018, 12:31:07 pm by Alan Southstand »
The only way Beestin will improve his stamina and physicality is to keep playing first team games. He'll come on a lot quicker that way.

Trouble is, we could with someone to 'hit the ground running' so to speak. The other problem is that Marquis is all over the place chasing down and tracking back and that should be the midfielders job, which they are falling down on. If we have Marquis purely working the centre channel, who's going to do the donkey work out wide?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on January 16, 2018, 01:38:15 pm by selby »
  The big difference this week with Beestin was he took his goal, no hesitating he put his foot through it first time, that's lesson learnt well done.
  He has a lot to learn, but shows a lot of awareness of other players around him in tight positions, and plays with his head up and that's a gift, and he will only get better with experience.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on January 16, 2018, 02:03:24 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Beestin took his goal well like May did in the league game against Rochdale. Had either of them failed to score in the one-on-one involving Marquis on Saturday some fans would have wanted them shot*.

*Figure of speech.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on January 16, 2018, 02:12:34 pm by selby »
It would not have arose B.B., non of them two are fast enough to carry the ball as far as Marquis did to create the chance of a one on one.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on January 16, 2018, 02:21:40 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Aye, OK.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on January 16, 2018, 02:34:06 pm by Campsall rover »
It's difficult at every level of football for strikers to perform when knowing there's someone on the bench ready to jump in their place after one under par performance, or a barren patch of scoring. They are put under more pressure than players in any other outfield position because their performances can be monitored on the actual fact of how many goals they score, as opposed to merely someone's opinion of their performances.

It is imperative therefore that a striker gets a fair crack of the whip, so to speak. No player can perform properly while looking over their shoulder in anticipation of being replaced.

That is the position where May, Beestin and Mandeville are at present, and they all seem to react differently towards it. May appears to try too hard, thus making occasional hurried wrong decisions. Manderville appears opposite to May, appearing to be too laid back, lazy and uninterested. Beesin at present seems the best option, although his stamina looks to let him down.

Marquis, although not scoring, has a massive advantage in the knowledge his position is almost permanent.

Agreed totally BB. I think though we can say Alfie May has had that long run now can’t we?
Personally I don’t think Beestin’s natural position is striker. So I would give Mandeville 5/6 matches now from the start and let’s see if he is up to it. Ability wise no question. Let’s see if he wants it.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on January 16, 2018, 02:49:08 pm by RoversAlias »
It would not have arose B.B., non of them two are fast enough to carry the ball as far as Marquis did to create the chance of a one on one.

Aye Marquis is known for his searing pace isn't he.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on January 16, 2018, 02:59:20 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Agreed totally BB. I think though we can say Alfie May has had that long run now can’t we?
Personally I don’t think Beestin’s natural position is striker. So I would give Mandeville 5/6 matches now from the start and let’s see if he is up to it. Ability wise no question. Let’s see if he wants it.

Aye, if you think May's 'run' of 2 full appearances in the last 10 games is a long run!

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on January 16, 2018, 04:06:23 pm by TheFunk »

Aye Marquis is known for his searing pace isn't he.

He's quicker than Alfie over anything more than 5 yards.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on January 16, 2018, 08:30:32 pm by Jonathan »
Marquis crafted that chance entirely through his own doggedness and hard graft. And it’s that that makes him well worth his regular starting slot. He’s always on the go, providing options and pressing defenders. As a fan I think it’s brilliant to see someone willing to take such a battering every game for our team. I’m desperate for him to get the goal(s) that his contribution deserves.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on January 16, 2018, 08:44:39 pm by selby »
  Jonathon I cannot agree with you more, that was a 60yd run he made, and nobody else got up with him in the box to give him any other option but to take the goalkeeper on.
 And some people think he is slow.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on January 16, 2018, 08:55:48 pm by Bentley Bullet »
No ones criticising Marquis. The only criticism is the way praise is given to him to the detriment of other players.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on January 16, 2018, 09:08:23 pm by selby »
  B.B. I am not intimating May in my observation of none of our players getting up with him on that run. I am fully aware he was not on the field at that time, if that's what you are intimating.
  It does not alter the fact that Marquis carried the ball quite some distance, and none of the other players got up there with him to make the job easier.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on January 16, 2018, 09:19:29 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Selby. Well done for leaving May alone, for a change, although like you said earlier  May wouldn't have been quick enough to get up with him anyway! Neither would have Beestin!!  It seems now that all the other players are being criticised as well.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on January 16, 2018, 09:34:40 pm by selby »
  B.B. of the players we had on the field Blair would have been the one to get up with him and Rowe, we had just defended a corner, but someone should have got up there, whether Blair or Rowe were in a position to do so I do not know but it is a fault we have, that we do not get men into the box.
  As for my statement on May and Beestin, I stand by it, they are not blessed with pace, as Alfie proved when a player carrying the ball was running away from him when he brought him down from behind.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on January 16, 2018, 09:36:45 pm by Bentley Bullet »
........And May's back in the firing line!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on January 16, 2018, 09:43:41 pm by selby »
  I thought it might be what you wanted, you keep throwing the bait.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on January 16, 2018, 10:50:29 pm by Bentley Bullet »
If you really want to do what I want you should stop showing your obsessional love for certain Rovers players at the expense of your resentment of others.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on January 16, 2018, 10:57:09 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
It's likely Kiwomya can keep up! Same situation, Marquis gets to the edge of the area, and squares it for Kiwomya to roll it into the empty net. Much like Paynter to Copps at Brentford!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on January 17, 2018, 08:29:34 am by selby »
  It looks to me then that what you really want is some form of censorship, so that everyone can agree with you on a forum where everyone should have the right to an opinion.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on January 17, 2018, 08:48:25 am by Bentley Bullet »
Why am I not surprised you take that view! It's not like you've got a great track record for getting things right in the past.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on January 17, 2018, 09:18:20 am by selby »
  I give an opinion on what I think about a game, a player, the club because that is what a football forum is for, to discuss the game.
  The last thing I expect is for everyone to agree with me (God forbid), but I am entitled to my opinion. I find that you don't so much comment on the game,but try and belittle the poster you don't agree with on a personal level, just like your last post. if that makes you feel superior keep doing it.
   Now back to the football, would you agree with me that Alfie Mays substitute appearance on Saturday was one of the worst you have ever seen? in fact I thought it was game changing for all the wrong reasons, at least Curtis Main had decent neat haircuts.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on January 17, 2018, 10:40:33 am by Bentley Bullet »
Selby, by the time I've updated the PvO, everything I wanted to say has probably already been said by someone else. However, I do comment if I feel strongly enough about something, especially if I think there's been one of total injustice about one of our players. You fit this category with your obsessive dislike of Alfie May.

Now back to the football. Alfie May's sub performance on Saturday was poor. Whiteman's wasn't much (if any) better, but if I must continue going down the unusual road of condemning my own team's players, I'd say Mandeville's pitiful sub appearance v Oldham was one of the worst I've ever seen.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012