Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:27:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Diplomatic but firm constructive comments .  (Read 3810 times)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

German Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Diplomatic but firm constructive comments .
« Reply #1 on January 14, 2018, 11:04:52 am by German Rover »
Sounds like someone's had a bollocking!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 14, 2018, 11:06:54 am by The Red Baron »
Probably more a case that he's slept on it, realised he went overboard with the "shoot them" comments and says what he should have said yesterday.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 14, 2018, 11:09:58 am by Copps is Magic »
"Diplomatic but firm constructive comments"

I'll be honest, don't know what you've read to come to that conclusion.

He should have just given an unreserved apology. He's basically said in that statement 'Sorry BUT, I still think I was right, and don't take back what I said'.

A short, sharp apology "What I said was wrong". Take his punishment from the FL/FA and move on. Is what he should have done.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 14, 2018, 11:11:35 am by DonnyOsmond »
It probably didn't take him half an hour until he had an "Ah, shit..." moment of realisation.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 14, 2018, 11:17:58 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'm guessing he's done that voluntarily and he'll be ready to take the punishment. At the same time I hope the powers that be accelerate whatever plans they have to address the cause of the problems.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 14, 2018, 11:23:10 am by since-1969 »
We’ve all seen the standard of refereeing that is going on . DF talks about letters of apology the club recieve regularly , if this on its own says that little has changed , it’s no wonder he ‘blew his top’ . We are all paying for bad results and it could be construed as having an alternative reason ie , corruption or bribery or just match fixing.? Why is it that lower leagues get the worst end of the deals , no hawk eye , no professional referees. It’s alright having ‘Respect’ campaigns yet it’s their actions that are not open to scrutiny or rebuke . DF will get a touch line ban and a £?  fine and the officials will get nothing only to be told to  ‘try harder’ next time .

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 14, 2018, 11:26:09 am by Jonathan »
That’s a fair statement. I don’t think there’s a need to issue an apology at all. To do so would infer that we should take seriously the suggestion that Ferguson is encouraging us to bring loaded weapons to the next game and open fire on the officials when they award a free kick to our opponents.

The clarification of his comments is fair enough. I don’t think any punishment would be warranted.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 14, 2018, 11:27:07 am by Filo »
As one or two of usposted last night, the media jumped on it and took out of context to make a story, shame on the media that were in the room who obviously knew how it was daid

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 14, 2018, 11:34:13 am by Jonathan »
Maybe he should have stuck to his guns.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 14, 2018, 11:35:00 am by glosterred »
If you take out two words from his original statement “shoot them” then there isn’t much wrong with his original statement and would be little if anything to apologise for.

COYR

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 14, 2018, 11:42:30 am by Donnywolf »
As one or two of usposted last night, the media jumped on it and took out of context to make a story, shame on the media that were in the room who obviously knew how it was daid

They only had to listen to the Interview to see how it was said

Maybe they did but still went to Press sensationalising instead imo of focussing on the very poor standard of Referee that operate at this level and lots of levels below - and whose incompetence cost people real money

OK we may not have scored from the spot but if we had how many people would have had 2-1 - and that is just one example of costing the ordinary man money. It may have cost Playing staff a win bonus (I dont know) and may have cost any Manager his job (if he were on a final warning) and it is just not good enough

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 14, 2018, 12:05:40 pm by Herman Hessian »

absolutely - DF's comment was clearly a rhetorical response; the way it's been portrayed by some you'd thing he was demanding that sniper's nests be establshed in order that pre-emptive assassinations of officials can be undertaken; ridiculous over-reaction's all round...

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 14, 2018, 12:13:22 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
He's right to say it's out of context no sane person believes he wants to actually shoot them.

It is a bit I'm sorry for that but I was right and I'm fine for that. He is right to make a point.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 14, 2018, 12:23:23 pm by Bentley Bullet »
How true ..........

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 14, 2018, 12:40:02 pm by LincsRover »
As has already been stated, take out the 'shoot them' comment (which itself was quoted incorrectly by sensationalist journo's), then everything he said yesterday was totally accurate and needs listening to by the powers that be. With the obscene amounts of TV money sloshing around in the premiership, filling players' & foreign owners' bank accounts, a very small percentage could improve the lower league game in 1 simple move - professional, properly trained and monitored refs. Unfortunately the lower leagues feed off scraps and get f*ck all money or coverage, unless someone like fergie says something controversial & rocks the boat. I'm not his biggest fan as a manager but well done fergie for saying it as it is! See you after your ban and I'm sure the fine won't leave you skint!

Unfortunately I genuinely think in a couple of weeks this news will be chip paper and f*ck all will change - we'll still "always get sh*t refs!"

:headbang:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 12:43:18 pm by LincsRover »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 14, 2018, 12:42:48 pm by RoversAlias »
Fergie's comments are now the fifth top story on the entire BBC Sport website, so that tells you how newsworthy this has ended up being. I like his response today as he hasn't taken back taking the refs to task and nor should he.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 14, 2018, 01:12:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
If you take out two words from his original statement “shoot them” then there isn’t much wrong with his original statement and would be little if anything to apologise for.

COYR

Agreed entirely. But the point is that he DID say “shoot them”. And THAT was the stupidly unprofessional thing

Maybe they did but still went to Press sensationalising instead imo of focussing on the very poor standard of Referee that operate at this level and lots of levels below - and whose incompetence cost people real money

OK we may not have scored from the spot but if we had how many people would have had 2-1 - and that is just one example of costing the ordinary man money. It may have cost Playing staff a win bonus (I dont know) and may have cost any Manager his job (if he were on a final warning) and it is just not good enough

A big part of a manager’s job is handling himself professionally in front of the media.

Blaming the media for highlighting the “shoot them” quote is like chucking a dog a bone and then moaning when the dog eats it.

That’s what I meant about Ferguson acting unprofessionally. He’s been around the block enough to know how the media works. Saying what he said was stupid and unprofessional. Pointless to blame the media for that.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 14, 2018, 01:17:23 pm by IDM »
Fergie's choice of words was wrong, but he was making a point.  He'll be expecting a fine no doubt, and probably knew that even in the heat of the moment, maybe thinking "so what"..

He could think he was taking one for the team, but my worry is that future refs may be wary of giving us 50/50 calls out of solidarity??  Alternatively we may get other decisions going our way if they try too hard to prove him wrong?

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 14, 2018, 01:26:22 pm by Dutch Uncle »
He could think he was taking one for the team, but my worry is that future refs may be wary of giving us 50/50 calls out of solidarity??  Alternatively we may get other decisions going our way if they try too hard to prove him wrong?

Refs are human, and it must be nigh impossible for them to ignore what DF has said. IMHO you rightly say it could go either way for us.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 14, 2018, 01:29:01 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Hopefully the fans come together and get behind him on this one.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 14, 2018, 01:32:22 pm by Copps is Magic »

COYR

Agreed entirely. But the point is that he DID say “shoot them”. And THAT was the stupidly unprofessional thing

A big part of a manager’s job is handling himself professionally in front of the media.

Blaming the media for highlighting the “shoot them” quote is like chucking a dog a bone and then moaning when the dog eats it.

That’s what I meant about Ferguson acting unprofessionally. He’s been around the block enough to know how the media works. Saying what he said was stupid and unprofessional. Pointless to blame the media for that.

Precisely. And just as posters on here can distinguish between the shoot them comment and his views regarding refereeing, so should he be able to exercise the same distinction. But in that statement they've released he doesn't really do that.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 14, 2018, 02:17:13 pm by roversdude »
Talking of diplomacy....... love the notes in the programme about Luke McCormack....”a spell away from the game was ended when he signed for Non league Truro City”
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 02:20:23 pm by roversdude »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 14, 2018, 02:33:36 pm by DonnyOsmond »
"The EFL has noted the comments made by Darren Ferguson following his side's draw with Plymouth Argyle on Saturday 13 January & his post-match remarks have been passed by PGMOL to the FA for consideration.

We further note the clarification issued by Mr Ferguson on Sunday morning"

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 14, 2018, 02:37:47 pm by The Red Baron »
Talking of diplomacy....... love the notes in the programme about Luke McCormack....”a spell away from the game was ended when he signed for Non league Truro City”

I remember writing something similar in a programme article about Jimmy Kelly. Although I certainly wouldn't bother to spare McCormick's blushes.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 14, 2018, 02:42:25 pm by Campsall rover »
We’ve all seen the standard of refereeing that is going on . DF talks about letters of apology the club recieve regularly , if this on its own says that little has changed , it’s no wonder he ‘blew his top’ . We are all paying for bad results and it could be construed as having an alternative reason ie , corruption or bribery or just match fixing.? Why is it that lower leagues get the worst end of the deals , no hawk eye , no professional referees. It’s alright having ‘Respect’ campaigns yet it’s their actions that are not open to scrutiny or rebuke . DF will get a touch line ban and a £?  fine and the officials will get nothing only to be told to  ‘try harder’ next time .
By heck since1969 there is not a great deal I agree with you about on here but every word said in this post is bang on imo.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 14, 2018, 09:21:20 pm by dickos1 »
"Diplomatic but firm constructive comments"

I'll be honest, don't know what you've read to come to that conclusion.

He should have just given an unreserved apology. He's basically said in that statement 'Sorry BUT, I still think I was right, and don't take back what I said'.

A short, sharp apology "What I said was wrong". Take his punishment from the FL/FA and move on. Is what he should have done.

What he said was right and 99% of people not just on here but on all platforms agreed with him. He just said an off the cuff remark that went a bit far.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 15, 2018, 03:11:17 pm by PDX_Rover »
Well it’s already been blown out of all proportion by certain elements of the media. The Daily Mail couldn’t even report it correctly, confusing the penalty with the push on Butler for their goal.

Adams, the w**ker, accuses Copps of being a player who goes down too easily. I don’t think Copps does that at all. It was a clear penalty every day of the week.

Fergie will get a lot of trouble for this remark I reckon.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 15, 2018, 04:18:44 pm by ravenrover »
or the push on Butler in their area for the penalty as that is the 1 that Fergie was fuming at not the Copps 1

RTID!!!

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 15, 2018, 04:55:56 pm by RTID!!! »
What he said was unwise, but he was making a necessary point and we (and supporters of other clubs) should get behind him.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012