Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:16:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Freedom of Speach  (Read 5481 times)

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
Re: Freedom of Speach
« Reply #30 on January 16, 2018, 06:32:51 am by roverstillidie91 »
I know this might sound controversial however do you think whoever the media individual was who apparently took the comment out of context and leaked this could be prohibited from giving interviews at future matches?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on January 16, 2018, 07:10:28 am by Muttley »
and freedom of expression are legal human rights in this country (it,s the law). That is what DF was expressing in his interview yesterday and no law was broken, therefore no punishment can legally be dished out. If the FL decide to punish DF for his legal right then that in itself is illegal if you get my drift.

I would expect that the FL has a code of conduct that all member clubs and their employees are obliged to follow, including something about not bringing the organisation into disrepute etc, with discretionary penalties for failing to abide by the code.

Ferguson won't be  prosecuted under the "law" but will be disciplined under the FL's own rules & regulations.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 16, 2018, 09:09:20 am by Campsall rover »
What’s needed is a competent governing body for this great game called Association Football.
They need to recognise that there are 72 clubs in the EFL below the Premiership and 48 clubs which at times seem to be irrelevant below the Championship. + many full time clubs at National league level.
Alex Ferguson made a similar outburst some yers ago and here history has repeated with his son.
Has anything been done? Will anything be done now?
Answer on a postcard. Don’t send it to me, send it to the FA.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on January 16, 2018, 01:25:10 pm by RoversAlias »
I know this might sound controversial however do you think whoever the media individual was who apparently took the comment out of context and leaked this could be prohibited from giving interviews at future matches?

Of course not. "Leaked"? It wasn't some candid chat over dinner, it was an on-the-record press interview! It also wasn't published out of context either, the entire radio interview was conducted, put out on the airwaves and then uploaded in full to the internet. The press then run with the story with the top line being that Fergie said he thinks the refs need shooting. That is Journalism 101. Fergie cocked up by saying it, I can't believe I'm having to say yet again that the journalist in question and Radio Sheffield did absolutely nothing wrong, only their jobs.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on January 16, 2018, 01:58:44 pm by anne honemous »
How can it be leaked if he says it in an interview?

The reason why it escalated is because it's not the usual 'I don't want to talk about referees' guff that most managers come out with.

DF should be thankful the journo in question worded it the way he did, rather than asking him directly what he'd like to do to referees.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 16, 2018, 02:43:14 pm by Filo »

Of course not. "Leaked"? It wasn't some candid chat over dinner, it was an on-the-record press interview! It also wasn't published out of context either, the entire radio interview was conducted, put out on the airwaves and then uploaded in full to the internet. The press then run with the story with the top line being that Fergie said he thinks the refs need shooting. That is Journalism 101. Fergie cocked up by saying it, I can't believe I'm having to say yet again that the journalist in question and Radio Sheffield did absolutely nothing wrong, only their jobs.

Sensatialism, if he had n't have said Shoot them, that interview would have taken it's usual place in the pecking order behind the the other South Yorkshire clubs interviews, and the current discusions about the ref would have been put in the another whinging manager box, instead the issues regarding the referee's has been highlighted and backed up by a lot of people, also the FA appear to be dragging their feet about if they intend to take action, I wonder if the truth has hit home and it hurts?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 16, 2018, 02:52:13 pm by RoversAlias »

Sensatialism, if he had n't have said Shoot them, that interview would have taken it's usual place in the pecking order behind the the other South Yorkshire clubs interviews, and the current discusions about the ref would have been put in the another whinging manager box, instead the issues regarding the referee's has been highlighted and backed up by a lot of people, also the FA appear to be dragging their feet about if they intend to take action, I wonder if the truth has hit home and it hurts?

I don't believe what happened here is sensationalism to be honest, I think Fergie offered up a golden egg of a story for them to run and they naturally ran right with it. I'd do exactly the same, it is how we are taught to write up interviews and stories.

However I do agree with your last point Filo, I thought the FA would have thrown a very large book at him already. I still expect some repercussions but between this and the littany of awful decisions highlighted this weekend throughout the top four divisions (did anyone see the penalty Middlesbrough didn't get? Way worse than the Copps one) the governing body are embarrassed with themselves.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on January 16, 2018, 04:28:22 pm by The Red Baron »
The usual procedure is for the FA to write to the person in question and seek their comments. Then a charge follows. That's what happened with Wenger recently.

He may be offered a chance to accept the charge and a standard penalty (a fine and a two or three game touchline ban.) That's probably the best scenario. Of course the FA may decide that the offence is so serious that he has to face the disciplinary commission.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on January 16, 2018, 04:52:07 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Just because you don't mean to be taken literally doesn't mean you can say it without condemnation; the FA expects certain standards to be maintained, that's why he'll get whatever they decide is punishment for falling below those standards.

Not picking a fight Glyn, but it is a shame the FA don’t look for the refereeing standards to be maintained.

I'm not saying they shouldn't, but it's irrelevant to the point at hand.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on January 16, 2018, 06:17:39 pm by The Red Baron »
Reasons for Wenger's charge and touchline ban revealed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42710579

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on January 16, 2018, 11:49:48 pm by Avsuptem »
Storm in a teacup.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on January 17, 2018, 12:14:58 am by anne honemous »
Reasons for Wenger's charge and touchline ban revealed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42710579

Wonder if the FA will do the same thing once Fergie inevitably gets his touchline/stadium ban as a punishment?

Shame that rubbish officials don't get punished...

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 17, 2018, 07:33:38 pm by drfchound »
It would be asking too much for the FA not to back the refs.
 As Wolfe says, the assessors reports should be made available for all to see.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on January 17, 2018, 07:46:38 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Managers have to stand united if they want to be heard by the hierarchy, but while ever you get managers like Plymouth's Derek Adams saying the complete opposite to Ferguson, and that in fact the Ref was "excellent", nothing will be done.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on January 18, 2018, 07:31:53 pm by ravenrover »
Wonder what Adams would have said if the decisions had been against Plymouth

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on January 18, 2018, 07:36:28 pm by drfchound »
Wonder what Adams would have said if the decisions had been against Plymouth

He would have been livid.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on January 18, 2018, 07:39:50 pm by Donnywolf »
Probably he would say "the Referees a w****r" but paraphrase that so he escaped a ban. I reckon DF will be more subtle next time BUT he was right - the Ref was wrong - the standard is very poor - the Refs are nowhere near fit enough to chase (most of) the Players around the pitch

... AND Managers tend to say as we all know - exactly the opposite to what their opponents Manager has just said re any contentious decision be it a goal / a Red Card / a disputed goal / a bad foul etc

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on January 18, 2018, 07:48:01 pm by drfchound »
Probably he would say "the Referees a w****r" but paraphrase that so he escaped a ban. I reckon DF will be more subtle next time BUT he was right - the Ref was wrong - the standard is very poor - the Refs are nowhere near fit enough to chase (most of) the Players around the pitch

... AND Managers tend to say as we all know - exactly the opposite to what their opponents Manager has just said re any contentious decision be it a goal / a Red Card / a disputed goal / a bad foul etc

Agreed there Wolfie, a bit like politicians do eh.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:24:01 pm by drfchound »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on January 18, 2018, 08:10:07 pm by Bentley Bullet »
 The ref was 'disgraceful' according to Fergie, yet 'excellent' according to Adams. The reality is that he was both! He was disgraceful for Rovers and Excellent for Plymouth.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on January 18, 2018, 08:31:28 pm by selby »
  The referee in the Chelsea match last night was very fit, and it was commented on on talksport this morning. It did not stop his decisions being controversial though.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on January 18, 2018, 08:35:28 pm by Bentley Bullet »
He was fit enough to add an extra 6 minutes on for Rotherham to equalize at the Keepmoat last November!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on January 18, 2018, 08:43:15 pm by selby »
  I didn't realise that B.B. He definitely does not like to give penalties then,when you add the Woods hand ball to those last night.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on January 18, 2018, 08:55:19 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I've met him. I was in a party doing a ground tour of the Keepmoat a few years ago, prior to a game against Walsall. As we walked past the Referee's dressing room he came out and held his hand up, stopping us from walking by. Then he got out his marker spray and sprayed a line in front of us. He then walked back and sprayed a line in front of the dressing room door and waved us all past.

He's a funny guy, although opinions of him changed later when Walsall beat us 2 nil.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012