Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:41:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ryan Giggs  (Read 1656 times)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Ryan Giggs
« on January 15, 2018, 09:45:13 pm by phil old leake »
Can someone please tell me what Ryan Giggs has done to deserve being the new Wales manager
Showed no commitment to his country as a player.
 Stopped playing after an absolutely superb career that will probably never be bettered
This is not about knocking him
I just think that football stinks.  It's a closed shop.
Surely managing a national team should be for someone with a proven track record

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: Ryan Giggs
« Reply #1 on January 15, 2018, 10:17:03 pm by RoversAlias »
Can't disagree with any of your points really but Wales have a history of appointing rookies or at least managers without any big previous success. It worked with Mark Hughes and looked to be going well with Gary Speed too. Coleman had done well initially in his managerial career was trending down when he got that job. They seemed keen to give a rookie a chance this time hence speaking to Giggs, Craig Bellamy and John Hartson. Time will tell if it works out or not.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 16, 2018, 09:20:25 am by acko »
Good for wales choosing a man who was capped some 60 odd times.Ryan spent his whole carrer playing for the man whose credential cannot be questioned then a year as a assistant to Van Hall something must rub off.He doesnt after worry about this world cup so he has time on his side.Or would the previous two posters prefer another forein manager coming over for a quick buck

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 16, 2018, 10:02:48 am by ravenrover »
It's Wales, he is just about Welsh, enough said 🐑!
As Shearer said hope he has better luck getting players for the friendlies they will be playing

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 16, 2018, 10:04:06 am by VivaRovers »
I don't know a single Wales supporter who wanted Giggs to get the job, specifically for the reasons highlighted by the OP.

Coleman wasn't a rookie, but in the circumstances of how he took over - following Speed's untimely death - there wasn't really anyone else who wanted it, or who could've taken it on as he did. He too was an underwhelming choice when he took over, and even more underwhelming after we got walloped 6-1 in Serbia.

What Wales have done well is partner these managers with very experienced coaching staff, particularly Osian Roberts (who was also interviewed, along with Mark Bowen). So long as Osian stays I think most Wales fans will be reassured enough of the approach to get behind Giggs, if not then it's a worrying shift away from what got the country to this point. We should find out today.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 16, 2018, 10:04:39 am by VivaRovers »
It's Wales, he is just about Welsh

Born in Wales to a Welsh family... he's as Welsh as you can be.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 16, 2018, 10:42:48 am by The Red Baron »
It's Wales, he is just about Welsh

Born in Wales to a Welsh family... he's as Welsh as you can be.

Yes, the confusion arose when he played for England Schools (as Ryan Wilson). However selection at schoolboy level takes no account of nationality.

He was born in Cardiff but brought up in Manchester because his dad was a Welsh Rugby international who "went North."

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 16, 2018, 12:56:59 pm by GazLaz »
I can’t see Giggs being a good manager, I may be proved wrong though.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 16, 2018, 01:27:52 pm by RoversAlias »
Or would the previous two posters prefer another forein manager coming over for a quick buck

Excuse me? I wasn't even criticising the appointment. I was explaining to the OP why the Giggs move made sense from the perspective of the Welsh FA who appointed him. I've no idea if he'll be any good or not, and being that I'm English and support England, I don't really care!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012